Rules Q&A FAQ + ask a simple question

15618 posts / 0 new
Last post

I don't really understand how the "Boundless Endurance" power (Level 2 fighter utility) works, I understand the concept of regeneration but what I don't get is how long the effect lasts, does it last until he is at full hit points again, does it last until he is not bloodied, does the effect last the whole battle? Maybe i'm missing something but the description seems pretty vague, any help is appreciated.

You're probably missing the "Stance" keyword.  A Stance lasts the whole battle, or until you use a different Stance.

So, what Boundless Endurance does is put you into a Stance.  That Stance gives you "Regeneration 2+CON while Bloodied".  So, until the Stance ends, whenever you are Bloodied at the start of your turn you Regenerate 2+CON.

Is that clearer?

Actually, there is one thing wrong with your explaination, and doubtless is the cause of confusion on this power. Boundless Endurance is a stance that gives "Regeneration 2+CON WHEN bloodied." Unlike Longtooth shifting, which states you only have regeneration while bloodied, Boundless Endurance only states that the regeneration starts when bloodied, not that the bloodied state maintains it.

While I have no doubt that the power was intended to only work while bloodied, until properly errata'ed the stance produces a Regenation effect that begins when the fighter is bloodied and lasts until the stance ends. At least that how I read the wording. If any DM that wanted to errata the power for the game session I would have no qualms over it.

resulting in an area which is being illuminated by a light source from within a cloud of darkness.

Is this correct or incorrect ?

From this thread's FAQ: "Do light spells illuminate magical darkness? No. Discussed here and here."

I was not talking about that area within the cloud, where line of sight is still blocked, but rather the area outside the cloud that the sunrod still has line of effect to from within the cloud.

But as someone else said, I have no problem if the DM declares that logic with not be suspended for this to occur.

Actually, there is one thing wrong with your explaination, and doubtless is the cause of confusion on this power. Boundless Endurance is a stance that gives "Regeneration 2+CON WHEN bloodied." Unlike Longtooth shifting, which states you only have regeneration while bloodied, Boundless Endurance only states that the regeneration starts when bloodied, not that the bloodied state maintains it.

While I have no doubt that the power was intended to only work while bloodied, until properly errata'ed the stance produces a Regenation effect that begins when the fighter is bloodied and lasts until the stance ends. At least that how I read the wording. If any DM that wanted to errata the power for the game session I would have no qualms over it.

I can see how you interpret it that way, however, it's no more correct than the typical interpretation. On the beginning of each round do all of the following apply: Is the stance active, do you have between 1 and bloodied HP? If yes then regen.

A Drow holding a sunrod uses his Cloud of Darkness.

Cloud of darkness produces a *gasp* cloud of Darkness (that for some reason or another isn't a zone... but that's another question) which blocks line of sight, but not line of effect. Since the sunrod which is inside the cloud of darkness still has line of effect, it would still illuminate the area within 20 squares of it, resulting in an area which is being illuminated by a light source from within a cloud of darkness.

Is this correct or incorrect ?

Is this right or is this seriously wrong?

This is both correct and hilariously wrong.

By which I mean, yeah, that's how it works - there's a nice bright area with a black blob in the middle, and the *light source* is inside the blob.  Because D&D really doesn't care about the details like that.

I would, however, totally not fault a GM who said "Uh, no, sunrod doesn't illuminate from inside the Cloud Of Darkness any more than it illuminates from inside a bag".

(Also:  Cloud isn't a zone to avoid the rules for Zones applying to it.  There are a bunch of things to boost zones, move zones, destroy zones, etc, and they don't want to apply 'em to Cloud Of Darkness.)

I would disagree with this. And although the necessary rule isn't strictly written into the game (afaik) I think that is because it is so obvious it wasn't necessary.

Objects which block line of sight also block illumination.  I.e. - that door doesn't just prevent the player from seeing into a room, it prevents light from the torch from getting out.  Otherwise known as the "Yes, objects do cast shadows in 4E" rule.  Essentially (to word a light source in 4E terms) a light source illuminates an burst x and is blocked by anything that blocks line of sight.  (Did they really need to put this last part into the rules or can we assume a tiny bit of common sense?)

Because the cloud of darkness specifically blocks line of sight, it also prevents any light sources inside of it casting their light out of it.  

Note, however, that a light spell that specifically illuminated an area larger than the cloud of darkness) would create the 'bubble of darkness' effect. 

Carl

Question regarding the 10th Level Swordmage Utility Dimensional Dodge: States that as an immediate interrupt, you can teleport adjacent to an enemy that hits you with a ranged attack. Would this grant you an opportunity action due to being targeted by a ranged attack while adjacent to the attacker?

Question regarding the 10th Level Swordmage Utility Dimensional Dodge: States that as an immediate interrupt, you can teleport adjacent to an enemy that hits you with a ranged attack. Would this grant you an opportunity action due to being targeted by a ranged attack while adjacent to the attacker?

No. The OA would be triggered when the enemy initiates the attack. Since you only jump in right before the hit, but after the power choice and target choice, you would not get an OA.

Does using a Versatile weapon in two hands count as using a two-handed weapon?

I suspect the answer is no, but I'm hoping to catch a break for Small weapon users.

PHB 217

Versatile: Versatile weapons are one-handed, but you can use them two-handed. If you do, you deal an extra 1 point of damage when you roll damage for the weapon.
A Small character such as a halfling must use a versatile weapon two-handed and doesn’t deal extra
damage.

Does using a Versatile weapon in two hands count as using a two-handed weapon?

I suspect the answer is no, but I'm hoping to catch a break for Small weapon users.

Officially:  No.  They're still one-handed.

Most GMs say "yes", just to avoid punishing Small characters further.

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.

Can you take the hybrid talent feat more than once?

Also when you gain it again during paragon hybrid multiclassing am I correct in assuming one does not eat the other?

I was not talking about that area within the cloud, where line of sight is still blocked, but rather the area outside the cloud that the sunrod still has line of effect to from within the cloud.

Ah. Got it. Thank you for explaining.

The illumination rules (PHB p.262) to not actually reference the Line of Effect rules (nor are standard light sources described as bursts, blasts or auras), so we could not use the Line of Effect rules to justify that. Indeed if we were to make an assumption we would jump instead to Line of Sight rather than Line of Effect (since Sight relies on light)

Now if the sunrod say, created an illuminating zone or somesuch (like some powers possibly do) then we might have justification for it.

Can you take the hybrid talent feat more than once?

Also when you gain it again during paragon hybrid multiclassing am I correct in assuming one does not eat the other?

Nope. Feats that you can take more than once have a "Special" line saying so. The only way you can get 2 copies is if you Paragon Hybrid-class.

When you get the second copy via PHC, you maintain both and can choose different class features with each.

Do feats that effect "push" powers effect "slide" powers if the target is slid AWAY from the PC?

Do feats that effect "push" powers effect "slide" powers if the target is slid AWAY from the PC?

No.  A Slide is a Slide, not a Push.

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.

Thank you.

Now annother one I just thought of.

I see alot of builds pairing the Student of Caiphon path with weapons that have an at-will ability to make the damage delt by them radiant, or add radiant damage.

Does this work?

Caiphons Guidence benefits apply to "...fear or radiant powers..." I took that to mean keyworded powers. Can someone please explain.

Thank you.

Now annother one I just thought of.

I see alot of builds pairing the Student of Caiphon path with weapons that have an at-will ability to make the damage delt by them radiant, or add radiant damage.

Does this work?

Caiphons Guidence benefits apply to "...fear or radiant powers..." I took that to mean keyworded powers. Can someone please explain.

Yup, that works. Adding radiant damage adds the radiant keyword.

PH 226:
Like racial powers and class powers, magic item
powers often have keywords that indicate their
damage or effect types. When you use a magic item as
part of a racial power or a class power, the keywords
of the item’s power and the other power all apply.

On a similar note to one of the above questions.
Does using Radiant Power feat (add radiant damage to an implement power but take a penalty to attack roll) make a power egligible for the effect of astral flame feat (+1 damage to fire/radiant powers) if the said power does not normally have the radiant or fire keyword?

On a similar note to one of the above questions. Does using Radiant Power feat (add radiant damage to an implement power but take a penalty to attack roll) make a power egligible for the effect of astral flame feat (+1 damage to fire/radiant powers) if the said power does not normally have the radiant or fire keyword?

Yup.

Lightning Breath

You exhale a blast of lightning at your foes. The lightning then forms a ring around you, repelling nearby attackers.

Daily Arcane, Implement, Lightning

Standard Action

Close blast 3

Target: Each creature in blast

Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex

Hit: 3d8 + Charisma modifier lightning damage.

Miss: Half damage.

Effect: Until the end of your next turn, whenever an enemy hits you with a melee attack, you push that enemy 1 square.

Dragon Magic: The enemy also takes 5 lightning damage. (is indented)

Sustain Minor: The effect persists.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Question about this Level 1 Daily.  Regarding a Dragonborn Sorcerer......when you hit with this power the character builder dictates that the damage is 3d8 + (STR; Dragon Magic feature) + (CHA) + (Feat; Raging Strom) + 5 Lightning (Dragon Magic).

What I am wondering is if the second to last line of the power description (Dragon Magic damage bonus) pertains to the original damage roll, the effect only or to both.  The character builder leads me think it applies to the initial damage roll from looking at my power card but I don't know....maybe it is just the effect.

What I am wondering is if the second to last line of the power description (Dragon Magic damage bonus) pertains to the original damage roll, the effect only or to both.

It is talking about the effect line since it is indented directly underneath the effect line.

If you have Dragon Magic, then when something hits you it will be pushed 1 square and take 5 lightning damage.

What I am wondering is if the second to last line of the power description (Dragon Magic damage bonus) pertains to the original damage roll, the effect only or to both.

It is talking about the effect line since it is indented directly underneath the effect line.

If you have Dragon Magic, then when something hits you it will be pushed 1 square and take 5 lightning damage.

So the builder is in error and the initial damage would only be (case specifically) 3d8 + STR + CHA + FEAT?

So the builder is in error and the initial damage would only be (case specifically) 3d8 + STR + CHA + FEAT?

Yup. Happens every now and then. Take Iron Armbands of Power and close attacks, for ecample.  The CB adds the extra damage in even though IAoP say "melee attacks."

Me and my party searched the rulebooks, and I have searched this board but I haven't found an answer to our question.

In MM2, there is a Gray Ooze which gives you a cumulative -2 penalty to your Fortitude. Now, in 3rd Ed. you'd be incapacitated (or dead, don't remember) when you hit 0 Fort. What happens in 4e should you be so unlucky that you hit 0 Fortitude (or Reflex or Will)? Do you die? Do you become helpless? Or does every attack on your Fortitude automatically hit?

Some abilities state that they can be used as/in place of an MBA, and others specifically state they can be used as the MBA during a charge, does this exclude you using the one that doesn't mention charging as the MBA in a charge?  The exact wording makes it seem like you can but it seems like thats not the intention.

My eyes are bleeding from searching for this answer, so I'm just going to go ahead and post it here irregardless if it's been answered before.

The subject is on Fratricide or Inadvertant Damage towards an ally or allies.

I cannot seem to avoid gaming groups with DMs that get a major kick out of abusing the player characters.  It's more fun to see the party damage themselves (regardless whether they're doing it intentionally, doing it because of their level of immaturity, or doing it because you're a freakin' wizard and you've got all these doomsday spells but are forced to use magic missile because you have a half-dozen party members mixin' it up in close proximity to the enemy) than the party damaging the enemy.  Lots of "oh, I was making you guys make Dex checks because there's oil on the stairs" when there was no spot or search check offered (even though the rogues kept asking "do I see anything?!") to begin with.

But, aside from that, I would like to know, over all the editions of D&D, what's the "official" ruling on Friendly Fire?  How in bloody ruins of Tethyr can one expect to play a wizard when everything they do from Web to Fireball to Melf's Acid Arrow somehow have a better chance of killing party members than hostiles?

On top of that; what's the "official" ruling on damaging yourself with your own magic?  Example: Using Burning Hands to disintegrate rope binding you.  Holy Crap, you set yourself on fire.  ISN'T THAT LOL!  Let's tell stories about that in our next campaign!

As far as I'm concerned, my introduction to D&D over the last TEN *OD*AMN YEARS has been more like a Monty Python feature with dice!

If I could find some kind of ruling to throw at my DM (I will seriously throw the book at him, then refer to the source) that shows that I can't kill my own team-mates whether I want or not (sometimes I want to...) or myself!...I believe we might actually enjoy the game a lot more and stand to get something accomplished!

Options
   ----Audio
   ----Video
   ----Controls
   ----Game
          ----Save/Load
          ----Change Storage Device
          ----Friendly Fire
                   ----On/[Off]
          ----Difficulty
   ----Extra Content
   ----Cheats

You're not going to like the answer...  PH pg. 57, under Targets:

"When a power's target entry specifies that it affects you and one or more of your allies, then you can take advantage of the power’s effect along with your teammates. Otherwise, "ally" or "allies" does not include you, and both terms assume willing targets. "Enemy" or "enemies" means a creature or creatures that aren't your allies (whether those creatures are hostile toward
you or not). "Creature" or "creatures" means allies and enemies both, as well as you.

That last line is the sticky wicket.  There's your friendly fire.

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

Me and my party searched the rulebooks, and I have searched this board but I haven't found an answer to our question.

In MM2, there is a Gray Ooze which gives you a cumulative -2 penalty to your Fortitude. Now, in 3rd Ed. you'd be incapacitated (or dead, don't remember) when you hit 0 Fort. What happens in 4e should you be so unlucky that you hit 0 Fortitude (or Reflex or Will)? Do you die? Do you become helpless? Or does every attack on your Fortitude automatically hit?

I think you are thinking about the different ability scores (not the saves) from 3.0/3.5.

Anyways, there is nothing in 4E rules saying what would happen if any of your stats were reduced to 0, so nothing happens! It just means that ooze (and whatever else is attacking Fort) is going to have a 5% chance to miss you.

Some abilities state that they can be used as/in place of an MBA, and others specifically state they can be used as the MBA during a charge, does this exclude you using the one that doesn't mention charging as the MBA in a charge?  The exact wording makes it seem like you can but it seems like thats not the intention.

If the power says "This power can be used as a melee basic attack," than anytime you could take an MBA, you can use this power instead. That means OAs, Charges, and warlord's handed out attacks. Anything that boosts MBAs, will boost this power.

If the power says "When charging, you can use this power in place of a melee basic attack," than it does not count as a MBA, but you can use it with a charge. Anything that boosts MBAs will not boost this power.

Um... Hi... Can You move diagonally?

Um... Hi... Can You move diagonally?

Yes, and it costs no extra movement. From PHB p.283:
"Diagonal Movement
Moving diagonally works the same as other movement, except you can’t cross the corner of a wall or another obstacle that fills the corner between the square you’re in and the square you want to move to. You can move diagonally past most creatures, since they don’t completely fill their squares."

Thanks

You're not going to like the answer...  PH pg. 57, under Targets:

"When a power's target entry specifies that it affects you and one or more of your allies, then you can take advantage of the power’s effect along with your teammates. Otherwise, "ally" or "allies" does not include you, and both terms assume willing targets. "Enemy" or "enemies" means a creature or creatures that aren't your allies (whether those creatures are hostile toward
you or not). "Creature" or "creatures" means allies and enemies both, as well as you.

That last line is the sticky wicket.  There's your friendly fire.

Crap.

If you are invisible do you provoke opportunity attacks?

If you are invisible do you provoke opportunity attacks?

Only to things that have other senses that let them "see" you: blindsight, tremorsense, truesight, etc.

Does a Battlerager Vigor fighter using Crushing Surge get con mod tHP for hitting and then con mod tHP again for using an invigorating power?

Does a Battlerager Vigor fighter using Crushing Surge get con mod tHP for hitting and then con mod tHP again for using an invigorating power?

Basically, yes, but the THP is given at the same time and added  together. If the fighter hits, they will get 2xCon mod THP (plus any other boosts from feats, etc).

High Critical Weapons and x[W] on a critical hit.

An intrinsic part of certain weapon like the Greataxe (d12) is that when a critical hit occurs they do an extra [W] on top of the max normal damage.

My question is in powers where there is 1[W] or 2[W] etc.. when a critical occurs with these powers using a high crit weapon, does the extra [W] these weapons do get multiplied on a natural roll of a 20 as well.

Example: Greataxe (d12) does 3[W] in a given power. On a natural roll of a twenty, is the damage: 1) 36 plus 1d12 or 2) 36 plus 3d12?

Thank you in advance.

Ben

High Critical Weapons and x[W] on a critical hit.

Example: Greataxe (d12) does 3[W] in a given power. On a natural roll of a twenty, is the damage: 1) 36 plus 1d12 or 2) 36 plus 3d12?

36 + (1d12 per tier)

General Combat

Do resistances stack? No (addressed in WotC’s 6/09 Podcast)

Do vulnerabilities stack? No (addressed in WotC’s 6/09 Podcast)

Can I change allies/enemies in the middles of combat? The consensus is that you can change who you consider an ally/enemy at any time. However your choice only effects your own powers, and other people may or may not reciprocate. Also, a power that targets an ally still requires a willing target. Discussed here.

How do I make saving throws against the same ongoing effect from multiple enemies? Per CS (here): "We know it's a little unclear, so we spoke to the developers and here's how it works. If you have more than one *identical* effects on you, only one effect applies, and only 1 saving throw is require to shake them all. If the effects are even slightly different, (like if they have a different ongoing damage amount, or if you have a dazed effect as well as a (dazed + slowed) effect), then you make separate saves."

How do you kill a troll? Discussed here. Note that MM2 trolls list their healing more clearly as: "If [this troll] is reduced to 0 hit points by an attack that does not deal acid or fire damage, it falls prone and remains at 0 hit points until the start of its next turn, when it regains 10 hit points. If an attack deals acid or fire damage to [this troll] while it is at 0 hit points, it is destroyed." While this last sentence is not in the earlier descriptions, some DM's made wish to add it as a house-rule.

Which dice do you max on a critical hit? If a bonus (like from a weapon or feat) causes you to roll extra damage dice when scoring a critical hit, those dice are not maxed. Other dice like hunter's quarry, sneak attack, warlock's curse, etc. are all maxed. Discussed here and in the 4e PHB FAQ.

What is the benifit of two-blade fighting style other than getting to hold a second weapon??

Does it give the two weapon fighting feat benefit?

Are there any rules on running bussinesses in 4.0? The rules in 3.5 were in the DMG 2, but Im not seeing anything for bussinesses in 4.0...

And what about buildings and such? How much it costs to builds castles and city buildings?

Im trying to make money and create a kingdom : )

Greetings;  First Thanks for all the helpful thread. Second It sucks to be Dyslexic. Third HELP!

My Question is Creatures with "Immune to kyeword type damage" EX. Immune to attakes with keyword Poison. Does Immunity to Keyword damage work like resistance. Would creature immune to poision attacks be immune to all of the below attack or only the on going poison .

My group looked for anything in all ph 1,2,3 mm1, DMG, and many other books. found nothing,  Please quote source of inforamtion please my GM is a stickler for getting it in writing.

Thanks

PS: What is RAW (Rules According to Wizards?)

Monk power

Deadly Cobra Strike Monk Attack 5
You weave from side to side and lash your hand forth like a
striking cobra, leaving behind psionically poisoned wounds.
Daily ✦ Implement, Poison, Psionic
Standard Action Melee touch
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d10 + Dexterity modifier damage, and ongoing 5
poison damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage.

Sign In to post comments