Rules Q&A FAQ + ask a simple question

15618 posts / 0 new
Last post

no

"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

No.

 

Some organised play rules do impose level restrictions (in LFR you can't use magic items more than 4 levels higher than your character level) but I don't think that's a core rule.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Hi,

If someone is attacking through a square which lightly obscured because of a Somestick (Alchemical item, page 29 of Adventurer's Vault), will that cause the attack to have concealment? I ruled that it granted cover, not concealment, because it was on the other side of the burst 1, and therefor line of sight was blocked. Also, there was an ally inside the burst which blocked line of sight, and provided cover. Since cover doesn't stack with itself, instead of being -4 (cover and partial concealment) it was -2 (just cover), and the attack hit.

Attached is a diagram, let me clarify a few things first.

B and C are allies.

A is attacking C, through B.

The burst 1 around B are considered lightly obscured squares, from a smokestick.

How should this have been ruled? Does attacking through lightly obscured squares provide cover, or concealment?

 

http://puu.sh/a1bkr/1cad665b8f.png

"Solid obstructions that can physically deflect
or stop objects are considered cover. Objects or effects
that don’t physically impede an attack but instead hide
you from an enemy’s view are considered concealment."

Can I get a pagenumber/rulebook for that? Or if it's on the compendium, what the entry is?

PHB 280, Cover & Concealment.

Thanks!

 

Edit:

 

I sent this into customer support at the same time I posted here, and this is the answer I got. Is customer support considered reliable?

 

Hello Jarret,

Thank you for your patience in resolving this issue. Unfortunately, there isn't an official answer for the situation you describe. This is a determination made by the DM. I could go either way. Normally if all you have is the smoke screen, then it is concealment. Hiding behind something grants cover. The DM is always the final arbiter on how they want their campaign to run. I've passed along this conversation to the game’s developers. Hopefully, we’ll see an update here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/updates


 or an FAQ entry here: http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1397


 covering it soon, but until then it’s up to the campaign’s Dungeon Master to decide. Have fun!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Take Care and Good Gaming!

I've tried searching for an answer on this one, but I can't find it anywhere. One of my players was considering taking the wild sage feat from the Primal Power book. The feat's only pre-req is being trained in Nature and his Barbarian is trained. However, one aspect of the feat is that it gives you a ritual, specifically(excluding the specific rituals) it says "In addition, choose one of the following rituals:...You master that ritual and can preform it once per day without a ritual book and without expending components."

 

My confusion comes is that he does have the pre-reqs but he is not a ritual caster. Does this feat allow him to cast these rituals without being a ritual caster? Reading it would seem to say it does, but that doesn't feel right to me.

Chaos, I think you still need ritual caster to cast the ritual granted by Wild Sage.

 

Here's my logic:

 

Eberron player guide, which was released in June, ahead of the October release of Primal power, contains the dragonmark feats. The dragonmark feats grant rituals, and let you use them without having ritual caster, and it's specifically said so.

 

 

Mark of Storm [Dragonmark]

Heroic Tier
Benefit: Whenever you hit an enemy with a thunder or lightning power, you can slide that enemy 1 square.
You gain a +1 bonus to speed when flying.
You can master and perform the Endure Elements, Enhance Vessel, Summon Winds, and Water Walk rituals as if you had the Ritual Caster feat.

 

Here's the text of Wild Sage:

 

Wild Sage

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Trained in Nature
Benefit: You gain a +5 feat bonus to Nature knowledge checks and to monster knowledge checks to identify a natural creatures.
In addition, choose one of the following rituals: Dowsing Rod, Portend Weather, or Traveler’s Camouflage. You master that ritual and can perform it once per day without a ritual book and without expending components.

 

It says nothing like the bolded section in Mark of Storm.

 

Feyaro wrote:

Chaos, I think you still need ritual caster to cast the ritual granted by Wild Sage.

 

Here's my logic:

 

Eberron player guide, which was released in June, ahead of the October release of Primal power, contains the dragonmark feats. The dragonmark feats grant rituals, and let you use them without having ritual caster, and it's specifically said so.

 

 

Mark of Storm [Dragonmark]

Heroic Tier
Benefit: Whenever you hit an enemy with a thunder or lightning power, you can slide that enemy 1 square.
You gain a +1 bonus to speed when flying.
You can master and perform the Endure Elements, Enhance Vessel, Summon Winds, and Water Walk rituals as if you had the Ritual Caster feat.

 

Here's the text of Wild Sage:

 

Wild Sage

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Trained in Nature
Benefit: You gain a +5 feat bonus to Nature knowledge checks and to monster knowledge checks to identify a natural creatures.
In addition, choose one of the following rituals: Dowsing Rod, Portend Weather, or Traveler’s Camouflage. You master that ritual and can perform it once per day without a ritual book and without expending components.

 

It says nothing like the bolded section in Mark of Storm.

 

 

Nope. The writing/developing/editing is, sadly, not consistent across texts. The feat does what it says it does and does not require the character to be a Ritual Caster to have access to the ritual benefit.

Is customer support considered reliable?

 

Ha ha. Funny that! (No, CS is not remotely reliable; the standard view is that anything difficult enough to require CS input is beyond their capacity to handle. You're more likely than not to get the incorrect rules ruling from CS.)

darkwarlock wrote:

 

Nope. The writing/developing/editing is, sadly, not consistent across texts. The feat does what it says it does and does not require the character to be a Ritual Caster to have access to the ritual benefit.

 

Do you have anything to back this up? While I know that it's not consistent, the majority of feats that talk about granting rituals say that you can perform it without the Ritual Caster feat.

specific beats general + the feat does what it says it does

 

seems cut & dry to me, the existence of other similar feats is irrelevant

Chainsawhand wrote:

specific beats general + the feat does what it says it does

 

seems cut & dry to me, the existence of other similar feats is irrelevant

Yup.  The rules do what they say they do, no more, no less.  This lets your master and cast a ritual; you can master and cast that ritual.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

I know It is kinda late but thanks for answering my question.

 

 

Ok, so my apologies if this has been asked numeorus times before.   I don't seem to be able to search the forums anymore.

 

Page 216 of Players Handbook 3 states that "When a racial trait grants you an at·will attack power of your choice and you choose an augmentable atwill attack power. the power loses both the  augmentable keyword and its augmentations."   Thus, a human playing a psionic character gets a third 1st level at-will power without the Augment 1 or Augment 2 part.

 

We've just noticed that the Character Builder seems to ignore this rule.   The third human at-will shows up with all the augments in the description.   Normally, when we see something show up differently in either the character builder or the compendium, it's a queue for us to look for errata...but there doesn't seem to be any.   Is this just a limitation of the CB, or are another player and I just hobbling a power for no good reason?

The character builder is not a rules source and often gets things wrong.

 

WOrth noting though that the RC updated Augmentable slightly - powers gained from racial traits keep the keyword but lost the augments - which means they can still 'be used unaugmented', which is useful for things like Intent Laid Bare, which can be used unagaugmented as MBAs etc.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.


I got again a few questions where I'm not sure of the OFFICIAL answer:

 

1) Delay action: Begin of his turn, one PC wants to delay his initiative. For example, because he wants to play after another PC.

When exactly the PC delaying his action can intervene if his actions would take place at the same time than another creature?

To give a concrete example:

PC A has initiative 30 (and a bonus initiative of  +12)

Monster A has initiative 25 (and a bonus initiative + 17)

PC B has initiative 25 (and a bonus of initiative of + 15)

Monster B has initiative 25 (and a bonus of initiative +14)

 

If PC A delays his initiative to 25, can he play when he wants and therefore choosing if he wants to play before or after Monster A/B or PC B? Or if he choosed to delay till initiative 25, he will play according the bonus initiative (the last one on that particular case)?

 

2) Standard action with multiple attacks: If a monster has a standard action attack allowing him to make several attacks, does he have to choose all his targets before or he can decide after the result of each attack?

Again a concrete example:

Monster A can make a double attack via one standard action  and he plans to do it against PC A. But after the first attack, PC A plays an immediate interruption.  After that, can the Monster A for his second attack choose another target?

 

3) Area and damages: On the battle map, there are several dangereous areas, causing damage if you enter on it. Can a player take mulltipe time the area damage in the same turn?

I'd like to distinguish 2 situations (in case there would be any difference):

- Monster A use a power attack allowing him to make a double ranged attack. The first attack hits the PC and it can teleport the target several cases, which make him falling in the dangereous area.

PC failed his ST, ends up in the area and take the damage of the area. Then the second attack hits him again and the teleportation will bring him in a NEW dangereous area. PC failed again his ST.

Will he take again the damage or not? Would it make any difference if the 2 area are identical (e.g. lava zone) or different (first is lava and second is necrotic area)?

- Monster A use a power attack that is pushing several cases away the PC A. This move will make enter in a dangerous area, leaving it and enter in a new one.

Suppose that if failed all is ST, will he take the damage only once  or twice? And as above, any distinction if the damage caused by the area are the same type or from different type?

 

4) Phasing: Can a creature with phasing move underground?

 

thanks in advance for the help

 

 

 

5) Additional question about phasing: Is a creature with phasing ability can "freely" escape from a grab? e.g.: if grabbed by Bisby's hand?

 

6) Bracers of Mighty Striking: When you hit with a melee basic attack, you gain a +2 item bonus to the damage roll.

Does it apply for power attack that can be used as a melee basic attack?

For example, the paladin at-will power : Virtuous strike.

 

1: If you delay, you choose before each following creature's turn, when you will re-enter initiative.  The numbers only matter when you're determining the order at the start.

 

2: Generally, you choose the targets sequentially.

 

3: There's no general rule for damaging zones and terrain, but most are once per creature's turn.

 

4: Yes, but generally things can only change height if they can fly.

 

5: I'm pretty sure phasing gets you out of grabs, yes.

 

6: They apply to powers which 'count as' or 'can be used as' MBAs, but not to those which 'can be used in place of' MBAs.  So, Virtuous Strike, yes, Howling Strike on a charge, no.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Hi guys!

 

Can I do my move action and do my standard action to charge, resulting in a double movement?

 

while charging, I must move in lines / diagonal only? Or i do both?

 

thanks!

You can take your move action to move your speed. You can take your standard action to charge, effectively moving your speed again, and making a (usually) melee basic attack with +1 to the attack roll.

 

Any square you move during your charge must bring you closer to the target.

 

RC

Charge


A creature uses the charge action when it wants to dash forward and launch an attack with a single action. Such an attack is sometimes referred to as a charge attack.

Standard action. When a creature takes this action, it chooses a target. Figure out how far away the creature is from the target—even counting through squares of blocking terrain—and then follow these steps:
        1. Move: The creature moves up to its speed toward the target. Each square of movement must bring the creature closer to the target, and the creature must end the move at least 2 squares away from its starting position.
        2. Attack: The creature either makes a melee basic attack against the target or (..) The creature gains a +1 bonus to the attack roll.
        3. No Further Actions: The creature can’t take any further actions during this turn, except free actions. (..)
    Some powers allow a creature to use them in place of a melee basic attack when charging. When a creature uses such a power, the creature retains all the normal benefits of a charge and must follow all the same rules. For instance, it still must end the move at least 2 squares away from its starting position, and it still gains the +1 bonus to attack rolls.

Rules Compendium, page 240.

baldhermit wrote:

You can take your move action to move your speed. You can take your standard action to charge, effectively moving your speed again, and making a (usually) melee basic attack with +1 to the attack roll.

 

Any square you move during your charge must bring you closer to the target.

 

 

RC

Charge


A creature uses the charge action when it wants to dash forward and launch an attack with a single action. Such an attack is sometimes referred to as a charge attack.

Standard action. When a creature takes this action, it chooses a target. Figure out how far away the creature is from the target—even counting through squares of blocking terrain—and then follow these steps:
        1. Move: The creature moves up to its speed toward the target. Each square of movement must bring the creature closer to the target, and the creature must end the move at least 2 squares away from its starting position.
        2. Attack: The creature either makes a melee basic attack against the target or (..) The creature gains a +1 bonus to the attack roll.
        3. No Further Actions: The creature can’t take any further actions during this turn, except free actions. (..)
    Some powers allow a creature to use them in place of a melee basic attack when charging. When a creature uses such a power, the creature retains all the normal benefits of a charge and must follow all the same rules. For instance, it still must end the move at least 2 squares away from its starting position, and it still gains the +1 bonus to attack rolls.

Rules Compendium, page 240.

 

Thanks man!

Hi guys question about Phantom Echoes does the power need to be both arcane and illusion or either one is find to qualify for CA? thanks all.

Ryoma0z wrote:

Hi guys question about Phantom Echoes does the power need to be both arcane and illusion or either one is find to qualify for CA? thanks all.

 

Both.

Question on multi-classing:

 

If someone multi-classes, then gets "Novice Power" to swap one of their encounter powers.... can they get "Novice Power" again to swap another encounter power (so they would then have two encounter powers from the class they multi-classed into)? Or, if Novice Power can only be used once, is there any way to get two encounter powers from their multi-class (other then Epic Destiny Martial Archetype)?

 

Thanks!

Malph wrote:

Question on multi-classing:

 

If someone multi-classes, then gets "Novice Power" to swap one of their encounter powers.... can they get "Novice Power" again to swap another encounter power (so they would then have two encounter powers from the class they multi-classed into)? Or, if Novice Power can only be used once, is there any way to get two encounter powers from their multi-class (other then Epic Destiny Martial Archetype)?

 

Thanks!

 

Novice power can only be used once.

 

Paragon Multiclassing will get you an additional Encounter power from your other class.  There are other Epic Destinies and Paragon Paths that will let you grab stuff too- Resourceful Magician, for example, or Eternal Seeker.

thespaceinvader wrote:

1: If you delay, you choose before each following creature's turn, when you will re-enter initiative.  The numbers only matter when you're determining the order at the start.

 

2: Generally, you choose the targets sequentially.

 

3: There's no general rule for damaging zones and terrain, but most are once per creature's turn.

 

4: Yes, but generally things can only change height if they can fly.

 

5: I'm pretty sure phasing gets you out of grabs, yes.

 

6: They apply to powers which 'count as' or 'can be used as' MBAs, but not to those which 'can be used in place of' MBAs.  So, Virtuous Strike, yes, Howling Strike on a charge, no.

 

Many thanks for the answer.

 

Hi, a noob question about the character builder.

 

I have a problem with finding and equiping certain wondrous items; the ones with their own goals and concordance (like Blood of Io and The Deck of Many Things). Do I just don't know where to look, or aren't they represented in the builder?

They're under Artefacts.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

How do the feats Second Implement and School of Magic Apprentice interact? Can you take second implement to gain a second implement proficiency, then take School of Magic Apprentice to trade one of them for the school benefit?

decius.brutus wrote:

How do the feats Second Implement and School of Magic Apprentice interact? Can you take second implement to gain a second implement proficiency, then take School of Magic Apprentice to trade one of them for the school benefit?

Yep, I don't see why not (caveat, as long as you take them sequentially in the right order), but I would expect table variation.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

How long does the AC bonus from Artful Dodger last? is it only for the opportunity attack or does it stay the entire round?

Ryoma0z wrote:

How long does the AC bonus from Artful Dodger last? is it only for the opportunity attack or does it stay the entire round?

 

It has no duration. It applies to every opportunity attack, and only to opportunity attacks.

Can a character with moonbow dedicate wield a shortbow in one hand as an implement? That is to say, can they wield an offhand item like a shield or a dagger?

If you only use it as an implement, sure. But why would you ?

There are better implements you can use without wasting a feat.

Question:

 

For Winter Sovereign, the Lingering Cold power says: "When you hit a target with a cold attack, it loses its resistance to cold (if any) until the end of your next turn."

 

The question is, is this cold resistance lost before the damage for the triggering attack is rolled (and therefore the attack's damage (which is cold) is not reduced)?  Or does the target lose its resistance to cold after the damage of the triggering attack is rolled?

 

Thanks!!!!!

Malph wrote:

Question:

 

For Winter Sovereign, the Lingering Cold power says: "When you hit a target with a cold attack, it loses its resistance to cold (if any) until the end of your next turn."

 

The question is, is this cold resistance lost before the damage for the triggering attack is rolled (and therefore the attack's damage (which is cold) is not reduced)?  Or does the target lose its resistance to cold after the damage of the triggering attack is rolled?

 

Thanks!!!!!

 

Yes, because damage is rolled and applied after the attack roll, so Lingering Cold does negate cold resistance for its own damage, as well as any other attacks UEONT.

That is not dead which may eternal lie

Question about covered and concealment: Can they stack?

 

I'm taking the example of a Monster that has been blinded by some power. If the monster is trying to hit someone which is under a partial cover, does he have -7 penality to attack (total concealment because he is blind and partial cover) or only -5 (total concealment)?

 

 

Zoltan83 wrote:

Question about covered and concealment: Can they stack?

 

I'm taking the example of a Monster that has been blinded by some power. If the monster is trying to hit someone which is under a partial cover, does he have -7 penality to attack (total concealment because he is blind and partial cover) or only -5 (total concealment)?

 

 

 

Concealment and cover are independent of each other, so -7.

Sign In to post comments