Rules Q&A FAQ + ask a simple question

15511 posts / 0 new
Last post

No real clear answer by RAW< because Hexblades are badly written.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

There's nothing inherent to hexblades other than attacks that are Weapon Implement; the swordmage power also hits the same question for a hybrid or multiclass wizard.

Nope, it's clear for Swordmages - all their attacks are either weapon keyword only or implement keyword only (the Hexblade is the only thing that has both, so it's clear to which attacks each part of Staff Expertise applies.  For Hexblades, it's not.  Because you can use the staff as the implement in a weapon and implement attack, by RAW, you are making a melee weapon attack with a staff, so the reach-boost bonus applies, but it shouldn't because you're making a melee weapon attack using a staff as an implement.  The weapon part is a different weapon.  They never should have wriitten attacks with both keywords.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

If I want to add Regeneration to a monster, how do I change the monster's other attributes?  I would assume it's total hit-points go down by some fraction, but I'm not sure.  I've looked around and can't find any rules about adding Regeneration.

Thanks!

Simple question: There are monsters whose attack text says "At the end of the encounter, the target makes a saving throw. On a fail, the character contracts X disease." If a character is hit multiple times by an attack which inflicts the same disease (say, filth fever), will that character have to make a saving throw for each hit? Or only one for the entire encounter, regardless of the number of times they were hit by an attack which inflicts filth fever?

Thanks for the help!

TwelfthTone wrote:

Simple question: There are monsters whose attack text says "At the end of the encounter, the target makes a saving throw. On a fail, the character contracts X disease." If a character is hit multiple times by an attack which inflicts the same disease (say, filth fever), will that character have to make a saving throw for each hit? Or only one for the entire encounter, regardless of the number of times they were hit by an attack which inflicts filth fever?

Thanks for the help!

I actually know this one!

From Rules Compendium p184:

"If a creature is exposed to the same disease multiple times in an encounter, it makes a single saving throw at the end of the encounter to determine if it contracts the disease. For instance, if Uldane is bitten over and over by dire rats carrying the filth fever disease, he makes a single saving throw against that disease at the end of the encounter, not multiple saving throws."

Malph wrote:

TwelfthTone wrote:

Thanks for the help!

I actually know this one!

From Rules Compendium p184:

"If a creature is exposed to the same disease multiple times in an encounter, it makes a single saving throw at the end of the encounter to determine if it contracts the disease. For instance, if Uldane is bitten over and over by dire rats carrying the filth fever disease, he makes a single saving throw against that disease at the end of the encounter, not multiple saving throws."

Oh, thank goodness. Seems like that could get out of hand in a hurry if it were otherwise!

Malph wrote:

If I want to add Regeneration to a monster, how do I change the monster's other attributes?  I would assume it's total hit-points go down by some fraction, but I'm not sure.  I've looked around and can't find any rules about adding Regeneration.

Thanks!

Probably not something that's dealt with in so many words, unfortunately.

Usually monsters with regeneration have a caveat to turn it off (like being hit with fire damage, silvered weapon, etc.).  I would modify the monster in this way rather than just HP scaling.  Also, hint to the party that they should focus fire if they are having trouble. 

If you really want to scale HP...consider how long your combats last, how long your monster is likely to survive, and how much HP will be regenerated in those rounds (i.e. 3 rounds of regen 5 -> +15 effective HP).  That should give you an idea on how to adjust HPs.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Question:

Implement Focus and Enchantment bonus of your implement adds damage to your attacks.  But what about attacks that repeat damage based on some effect?  Such as Hellish Rebuke?

1d6 + Constitution modifier fire damage. The first time you take damage before the end of your next turn, the target takes 1d6 + Constitution modifier fire damage.

So, the first time you hit, the damage would be 1d6 + Con mod + enchantment bonus + Implement Focus (and possibly other feats, like Hellfire Blood) additions.

Then, if you take damage before your next turn, is this same damage formula applied? Or is it just 1d6 + Con mod, without enchantment bonus or feat additions?

Thanks!

Side-note: I'm pretty sure (but might be wrong) that if there's an effect like "all adjacent creatures to the target take Int mod damage" that it's just your Int mod without additions.  But since Hellish Rebuke's repeated damage is written in the same manner as a 'normal' hit's damage, I figured I'd ask.

A bonus to damage roll applies to every damage roll of a power. 

RC 222 Modifiers To Damage Roll: Also, an attack power might contain multiple damage rolls, such as a melee attack power against multiple targets. If a creature has a bonus to damage roll and use such a power, the creature applies the bonus to every damage roll of that power.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Plaguescarred wrote:

A bonus to damage roll applies to every damage roll of a power. 

RC 222 Modifiers To Damage Roll: Also, an attack power might contain multiple damage rolls, such as a melee attack power against multiple targets. If a creature has a bonus to damage roll and use such a power, the creature applies the bonus to every damage roll of that power.

Thanks!!!!

As a follow-up question, what if the power does damage without a roll? Such as in magic missile (which does specifically say to add enchantment bonus, but doesn't talk about feat bonuses)?  Or perhaps in a power that damages enemies adjacent to your primary target by a fixed ability mod, such as in Mordant Rains of Dis (where enemies adjacent to the target take damage equal to your Int mod)?

Bonus to damage roll only apply to damage rolls, static damage don't qualify.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Plaguescarred wrote:

Bonus to damage roll only apply to damage rolls, static damage don't qualify.

Thanks!!!!

I'm new to D&D. I created a Dragon Born Sorcerer. I am wondering how to level up my character. Iss there some site that would explain the leveling up process. Is each level the same or what?

Asa83 wrote:

I'm new to D&D. I created a Dragon Born Sorcerer. I am wondering how to level up my character. Iss there some site that would explain the leveling up process. Is each level the same or what?

The PHB tells you what you get at each level as you level up if you are a PHB2 Sorcerer. It's the same chart used for all pre essentials non psionic classes and some essentials and the psionic monk.

If you are a (Elementalist)Sorcerer from Heroes of Element the book tells you what you get at each level.

On the Character optimisation fourums there will be member writen guides for the most efficient / highest damage options but that is not always needed by new players.

The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

I have a question regarding trying to hide an assassin during combat. The Players Handbook states you can make your character hidden by doing a Stealth check while you have cover or concealment. But does this only work when it is superior cover and total concealment, or can an assasin become hidden during partial cover and partial concealment?

Unless something specifically excepts him from the rules about needing superior cover or total concealment, no, he is not excepted from the rules about needing Superior Cover or Total Concealment.  Once you've successfully Hidden, you can maintain it with normal cover or concealment, but you can't gain it with those unless something specifically says you can.

(The PHB rules have been updated in the Rules Compendium, but the answer to that question, at least, hasn't changed.

What happens when I gain a Channel Divinity power without actually having the Channel Divinity class feature? For example, the Chromatic Bane paragon path.

I assume I can't spend feats on getting more Channel Divinity options (they have the class feature as a prerequisite), but could I still use the power the PP granted?

You can't use CD powers without the CD class feature.  You can gain the class feature by taking the MC feat Divine Channeler.

Hi all guys i have a Q about barbarian's Howling Strike. Can i do this attack w\o doing charge attack? or this attack is for charge only?

PS my english is bad, sorry about that 

Yes, you can, but you only get the extra +1/2/3d6 if you're charging.

Question: I read somewhere that the damage from Split the Tree is divided between both targets (instead of applied, in full, to both).  That doesn't seem very clear in the power, so I figured I'd ask you guys.

Thanks!

Split The Tree doesn't divide damage, it applies the same attack roll to two different targets and each is hit seperatly and dealt damage normally.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Plaguescarred wrote:

Split The Tree doesn't divide damage, it applies the same attack roll to two different targets and each is hit seperatly and dealt damage normally.

Cool, thanks.

The CharOp handbook post for Rangers (Thrill of the Hunt: Ranger's Handbook) says "Split the Tree (PHB) - It splits the damage between two targets, and it doesn't even give you free rein on that".  Someone should likely tell whoever maintains that.

Thanks!

Nobody, the guide is no longer maintained.

And in terms of striking, it DOES split the damage between targets.  Regardless of whether they each get the full damage FROM THE POWER (which they do) if you were able to do both attacks on a single target rather than being forced to attack two targets, it would be a better striker power.

If I'm adjacent to a Large creature and I jump using Thunder leap, can I go over their square?   If it matters I clear 13 squares with it.

Jerico_Mason wrote:

If I'm adjacent to a Large creature and I jump using Thunder leap, can I go over their square?   If it matters I clear 13 squares with it.

By the rules it would get an attack of opritunity as you left an adjacent square.

The rules don't really cover jumping as a way to move through an ememies square.

Leaping over an enemy with acrobatics is a listed improvisatron under skill use chapter in heroes books.

Most people on the boards will tell you that if it makes for a good story let it slide.

The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

Hi! Quick question...On the character builder it lists on the armor that at higher levels it gets additional bonuses ie plate is ac9 at levels 6-10 and so forth. Is this automatically updated on the charcter builder or is there something the pcs have to do to get that bonus?

Sea-Envy wrote:

Jerico_Mason wrote:

By the rules it would get an attack of opritunity as you left an adjacent square.

The rules don't really cover jumping as a way to move through an ememies square.

Leaping over an enemy with acrobatics is a listed improvisatron under skill use chapter in heroes books.

Most people on the boards will tell you that if it makes for a good story let it slide.

The power itself states that the movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks. The problem here is rather how to determine whether you clear a creatures's space or not with a long jump when not having an actually result for your jump check. Normally, if you clear 8 squares in length with a long jump check, you would clear 10 feet in height, enough to get past a Large creature.

vamp927 wrote:

Hi! Quick question...On the character builder it lists on the armor that at higher levels it gets additional bonuses ie plate is ac9 at levels 6-10 and so forth. Is this automatically updated on the charcter builder or is there something the pcs have to do to get that bonus?

It's the Masterwork bonus (you can find the original Masterwork stuff in the PHB).  WotC had assumed that people would automatically be getting Masterwork armor as it became available (it's actually a math fix), but some DMs weren't doing it, so later rulebooks moved more and more towards just including it by default.

Hi, does using a flaming weapon count for the Exorcist of the Silver Flame Paragon Path feature Bolstered by Flame?

It will, but only if the attack normally does untyped damage.

Adding fire damage adds the keyword (and thus qualifies for the temp hp), but the flaming weapon only adds fire damage if the attack does untyped damage. Weapon of summer will add bonus fire damage to all damage rolls made with it, allowing you to use it with any attack, but it is an item bonus and will not stack with Iron armbands of power (and also comes at a high price being a lvl 15+).

Can unarmed strike be used with attacks requiring simple weapon group? I couldn't find a weapon group for it. Also is monk unarmed strike a different group from regular unarmed strike or just different stats?

1: I don't think it have a group.

2: it's still unarmed, if that's what youre asking.

I belive unarmed attacks are a part of the "improvised weapons" weapon group.

How do you guys handle save ends effects when a character has bonuses to save against a condition that is included in a save ends both status?  For example, Branngar the dwarf runepriest has a +5 racial bonus to save against poison.  He is then hit by an attack, causing him to take ongoing 5 poison damage and be immobilized (save ends both).  He later rolls a natural 5 on his saving throw, making his roll a 10 to save from the poison damage.  Is he still immobilized?

Another question:  If a character has the talent superior will and becomes dominated, can this person make a saving throw at the start of his/her turn to end the dazed condition that goes with being dominated, thus no longer being dominated?

KTurman wrote:

How do you guys handle save ends effects when a character has bonuses to save against a condition that is included in a save ends both status?  For example, Branngar the dwarf runepriest has a +5 racial bonus to save against poison.  He is then hit by an attack, causing him to take ongoing 5 poison damage and be immobilized (save ends both).  He later rolls a natural 5 on his saving throw, making his roll a 10 to save from the poison damage.  Is he still immobilized?

Another question:  If a character has the talent superior will and becomes dominated, can this person make a saving throw at the start of his/her turn to end the dazed condition that goes with being dominated, thus no longer being dominated?

1: Save Ends Both means exactly that one save versus either part of the condition is the same as a save versus the whole condition.

2: Domintated no longer Dazes you, it imparts a condition that is like daze but no to be confused with it for exactly the reason you asked this question.

I am looking for a confirmation on how power bonus to damage rolls work. My understanding is that this bonus is applied to each roll in a power used by the effected  charater. While bonus to attack roll is applied after all the rolls are summed up. If no please explain.

This is the simple question forum, so here's a simple noob question:  Are there weapons or armor restrictions for any of the character classes?

I grew up on 1st edition AD&D. Wizards could carry a dagger and a quarterstaff and maybe a sling, and they could wear no armor at all. Clerics could not carry any weapon that had a sharp edge. No blades for clerics.

I am trying to learn the rules for 4th edition now because I have a small group that has never played before and they need a DM. I played for a decade or more using 1st edition rules, but I haven't played D&D at all for a few decades now. I have the 3 core rule books for 4E and that's it. I'm reading through the Players Guide and see no restrictions specifically stated. I don't see anything saying that a Wizard cannot carry a long sword and wear chainmail if he/she wants to. In fact, an Eladrin Wizard begins with a proficiency with a long sword, dagger, and quarterstaff.