Rules Q&A FAQ + ask a simple question

15502 posts / 0 new
Last post

Titan's Crushing Fist Mage Level 17 Encounter Power

 

"The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn or until you dismiss as a minor action."

 

We have a disagreement in our group about the second option:

 

1) One person insists that that the minor action dismissal is only used when you want to create the zone

and then instantly dismiss it.

 

2) The other person says that the zone persists without being sustained until you dismiss with a minor action.

 

Is there anything definitive on this ?

 

 

 

 

 

 

JDLail wrote:

Titan's Crushing Fist Mage Level 17 Encounter Power

 

"The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn or until you dismiss as a minor action."

 

We have a disagreement in our group about the second option:

 

1) One person insists that that the minor action dismissal is only used when you want to create the zone

and then instantly dismiss it.

 

2) The other person says that the zone persists without being sustained until you dismiss with a minor action.

 

Is there anything definitive on this ?

 

 

I'll make this a little more clear.  Imagine in the power said this:
 

"The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn or until you dismiss as a minor action whichever happens first."

 

And you have your answer.

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

For the Half Orc racial trait/feature; Half Orc Resilience, since it is not a power, is it available for use each encounter even if you do not take a short rest? Say I became bloodied in encounter #1 and the Half Orc Resilience gave me 5 temp HP, then without resting, I healed up and immediately entered another encounter where I then became bloodied again, would the Half Orc Resilience give me 5 temp HP in this 2nd encounter?

 

Half Orc racial trait/feature; Half Orc Resilience - The first time you are bloodied during an encounter, you gain 5 temporary hit points.

Dansun wrote:

For the Half Orc racial trait/feature; Half Orc Resilience, since it is not a power, is it available for use each encounter even if you do not take a short rest? Say I became bloodied in encounter #1 and the Half Orc Resilience gave me 5 temp HP, then without resting, I healed up and immediately entered another encounter where I then became bloodied again, would the Half Orc Resilience give me 5 temp HP in this 2nd encounter?

 

Half Orc racial trait/feature; Half Orc Resilience - The first time you are bloodied during an encounter, you gain 5 temporary hit points.

 

Correct.  The same thing goes for things like the attack granted by the feat Battle Awareness

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

Question regarding the Beholder Eye Tyrant.

 

For the Triggered Action "Random Eye Ray"... when it says it uses a "random" eye ray, does that mean it doesn't choose which type, and it's truly random (such as rolling a d10 to decide which of the 10 eye rays it uses)?  

Also, since this triggered action is listed as "No Action" (instead of immediate reaction/interrupt), does that mean it can use it an endless number of time per round (so long as enemies keep starting their turns within 5 of the Beholder)?

 

Thanks!

Malph wrote:

Question regarding the Beholder Eye Tyrant.

 

For the Triggered Action "Random Eye Ray"... when it says it uses a "random" eye ray, does that mean it doesn't choose which type, and it's truly random (such as rolling a d10 to decide which of the 10 eye rays it uses)?  

Also, since this triggered action is listed as "No Action" (instead of immediate reaction/interrupt), does that mean it can use it an endless number of time per round (so long as enemies keep starting their turns within 5 of the Beholder)?

 

Thanks!

 

Yes to both.  You roll a die to determine the eye power and it being a no action means it happens once per trigger as many times as the trigger is true.

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

I've a question regarding damage reduction and Sune shield power (lvl 12 Heartwarder).

 

This power said that the once a target get damages, the other can take half. Now, the person under this effect that choose to take half damage, can he apply any damage reductions to it?

Nothing seem to prevent it in the description of the power but it is sometimes powerful.

 

E.g.: Paladin under Sune's shield is taking 25 necrotic damage. He has a stoneskin. So damage is reduced to 15. Then his ally choose to take half. So Paladin is taking 8 and the ally 7. But if the ally has resist 15 necrotic. Then, if he can apply his own resist, he doesn't take any damage. So in the end, the ennemy attack was reduced from 25 to 8.

 

Is it correct? Or the second character can not use his own resistance?

 

The way I read it you would be splitting the damage before resistance comes into place.

 

So in your example:
Paladin takes 25 damage and has resist 10 while an ally has resist 15.  Ally chooses to take half the damage (12) and paladin takes half (12).  Ally takes 0 damage due to resist, paladin takes 2 damage.

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

This may have been answered before but I don't feel like sifting through almost 400 pages of rules questions!

 

Does the extra damage from the Half-orc's Furious Assault deal damage to all targets in a burst or blast, or just one target? This came up last night due to a Half-Orc Monk using Five Storms. We've played with Half-Orcs before and have always applied it to burst/blast powers, but this new DM brought it up as a question.

 

Note: If possible, is there any way to cite specifically how this damage should be applied, one way or the other?

 

Thanks in advance!

No. The Arcane Fury feat from arcane power says:

 

When you use your Furious Assault racial power to deal extra damage to the target of an area or close arcane attack power, you deal the extra damage to all targets you hit with this power, not just one.

 

This implies that it normally doesn't apply to multiple targets.

Hi,

about "Cunning weapon", AV, p67 : does it works with ranged powers/spells/disciplens, with a staff as implement? 0_o

Bozo_Nancy wrote:

Hi,

about "Cunning weapon", AV, p67 : does it works with ranged powers/spells/disciplens, with a staff as implement? 0_o

Sure does.

Do the the properties of these items stack?

 

Amulet of Seduction: 

  • When you impose a charm effect that a save can end, the target takes a -2 penalty to the first saving throw against the effect.

 

and

 

Symbol of Power:

When you use this symbol to deliver an effect that a save can end, the target takes a –2 penalty to the first saving throw against the effect.

 

I am not sure if these are untyped or not.

 

Thank you for your replies

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Penalties stack regardless.  Bonuses have type-based stacking restrictions.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

How does Dimensional Cascade (Planeshifter PP daily) damage work?

It's 4 different damage rolls with bonus?
Or
1 damage roll that is the sum of the 4 elements damage plus bonus?

Erbenroc wrote:

How does Dimensional Cascade (Planeshifter PP daily) damage work?

It's 4 different damage rolls with bonus?
Or
1 damage roll that is the sum of the 4 elements damage plus bonus?

1 damage roll, multiple types.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

 

I suppose pit of the abandoned regiment is dazed. Can it take his action point to get a standard, minor or move action plus the extra move action of the action point ?

 

Thanx.

Question about Advantage of Cunning (PHB2 Feat).

 

Since it doesn't specify a slide distance, only a destination, can you slide an enemy a mile down the road into some fires, so long as you intend to slide the enemy back to a valid square?

Does a Charm effect such as Dominated end when the charmer falls unconscious or dies?

Not unless it specifically says it does.

 

There's no RAW as to what happens when the dominating creature can't choose an action for the dominatee to take, tbh.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

My character was grabbed last round.  This round, I failed to escape and the same creature grabbed me again (with another limb/tentacle).  Do I need to make two escape checks this round to be free?

Nope.  Multiple grabs against you mean that you make one escape check, against the highest defence of all the grabbing creatures, and take a -2 penalty for each grab affecting you after the first.  If you succeed, you escape all of them.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Where can I find the official rules' description that makes it clear that the term Level 1 At-Will power refers to the actual at-will powers of the 1st level of the character's class?

 

I have to convince a player that the choices of the Monk's Flurry Of Blow feature powers aren't among the selection  possibilities when chosen a Half-Elf Dilettente's power. Can anyone here help me with this.

Who/What Am I?
"I might have been a hmmm... eh-eh well, y'kno but, instead" I'm a fighter... --
peacekeepermedc.gif -- ...not a lover. This signature concept is from "http://www.pathguy.com/index2.htm"
html_removed
What I Doing Here?
@MTG Forums. Contestant: A Contest Like No Other hosted by Fakeartist. An Angelic Aspect In The Wild, Wild World Of The Mata Hari's Agency. @DnD Forums. Digital Artist In Training: What Do YOU Think MY Character Looks Like's Thread - @4e Character Development forum. Player (Osborn) - Bounty Hunter (Fighter DnDNext): DnD presents The Walking Dead @Play By Post Forum. Player (Shana Zorus) - Professional Bodyguard/Adventurer (Hybrid Warden/Paladin 4e): The Unhallowed Gate @Play By Post Haven Forum (DM by ffShadow) Player (Krist Breeze) - Twiceborn War Mage/Imbuer (Hybrid Warlord/Wizard 4e): Castle Greyhawk - @Real Adventures (DM by Icanus) Player (Blyne Munro) - Happy-Go-Lucky Scout/Explorer (Warlock 4e) Domain of Shadows-Darkness Falls - Play By Post Haven (DM by WhisperMagellan) Player (Ansmril) - Vistani Blessed Psalmist (Bard/Shaman 4e) The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good - (And I'm The DM) DM - The Young Mercenaries/Ps'V-GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Unlikely Diplomats/Ps'V- GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good/Ps'V GoodShip Diplomacy. Referee - People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Oz League: The Ardent Lord w/People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Ps'V = The Players' Vault Forum Group In Which I'm The Owner Of.

Monk flurry of blows doesn't have a level.  You have to pick a power that has a level with the restriction that it has to be level 1.

"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I'm wondering if there's a clear explanation of how the fighter at-will power Footwork Lure works with a reach weapon post-errata.    I've dug around a bit, and can't find a clear answer.   What I've found suggests one of three answers:

 

  1. The target is pulled into the fighter's original square using the most direct path possible.   (Because the power has a designated destination square) 
  2. The target is pulled one square towards the fighter's original square using the most direct path possible.   (Because the power was errataed to specify that the target could only be slid one square)
  3. The power cannot be used to slide a target which was not adjacent to the fighter to begin with. (Because you can't slide a target 2+ squares using a power which specifically says it slides only 1 square...  the logic here is to use the rule on how difficult terrain affects forced movement.)

 

All three make sense to me from a logical standpoint.   Anyone know what the RAI is?   Has CustSvc ever weighed in?   (My DDI has expired, or I'd ask myself.)

 

3 is correct.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

We got a few discussions about triggered actions and immediate reactions.

 

Rule states that : An immediate reaction waits for its trigger to finish, not necessarily for the action that contains the trigger to finish.

 

If a character has an immediate reaction which is triggered by "when you are hit,... "  The monster hits him and player use his immediate reaction.

What goes first between the immediate reaction and the remaining of the attack. I mean, let's that the monster attack is inflicting 2D8 +10 and push ennemies of 3 squares.

What is first? The dommage and pushing of the monster and then immediate reaction (if still possible following the push) or first immediate reaction then the damage and push?

Or something else?

 

And if it's option 1 (first damage + push) and the PC is not able to use the immediate reaction as ennemy is no more within his reach, does he lost the power?

 

 

It would be able to do if you were using a way to increase slide distance, right?

Zoltan83 wrote:

We got a few discussions about triggered actions and immediate reactions.

 

Rule states that : An immediate reaction waits for its trigger to finish, not necessarily for the action that contains the trigger to finish.

 

If a character has an immediate reaction which is triggered by "when you are hit,... "  The monster hits him and player use his immediate reaction.

What goes first between the immediate reaction and the remaining of the attack. I mean, let's that the monster attack is inflicting 2D8 +10 and push ennemies of 3 squares.

What is first? The dommage and pushing of the monster and then immediate reaction (if still possible following the push) or first immediate reaction then the damage and push?

Or something else?

 

And if it's option 1 (first damage + push) and the PC is not able to use the immediate reaction as ennemy is no more within his reach, does he lost the power?

 

 

 

You basically answered your own question.  If the trigger to an Immediate Reaction is "when you are hit" you have to wait to do the immediate until after the triggering attack is complete.  This can mean that the creature which provoked the attack is no longer within range of your power.  When I say the triggering attack is complete I mean all of its effects/actions that are resolved at the time the power is used are resolved.  In your example the answer is that the damage and pushing of the monster would come first and anything else that happens when the power is used if the immediate reaction is still valid for use, the attacked creature would then be able to use it.

 

As for if the power is lost if you can no longer use it, I can tell you that as a DM I never make the player lose the reaction.  I'm not 100% sure if that actually follows the RAW or not but I make use of Wheaton's Law when it comes to this stuff.

"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Rufus_Frenzel wrote:

Hey all - First time poster etc etc.

I played D&D years ago at uni - great fun. Picked it up again now and have a group to play with. I have been nominated as DM, so lots of work for me. Looking through the rules, and one thing is bugging me. What is the difference between Base Attack/Grapple and Attack?

For example - as the DM, I will be attacking with my monsters. Let's say a Bugbear.

 

Bugbear stats -

Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
Attack: Morningstar +5 melee (1d8+2) or javelin +3 ranged (1d6+2)



I get that a normal attack for my Bugbear would be a d20 + 2 (for the BAB) + str mod (in this case +2) - Am I at least right on this?

Where does this attack - +5 or +3 come in? Am I just being really stupid? Does this add into the above formula (which seems like it would be insane...) or does it come into effect elsewhere?


Thanks

 

Rufus

 

 

 

You are posting in the wrong forums.  This if 4e.  BAB doesn't exist in 4e.

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

Noctaem wrote:

 

 

As for if the power is lost if you can no longer use it, I can tell you that as a DM I never make the player lose the reaction.  I'm not 100% sure if that actually follows the RAW or not but I make use of Wheaton's Law when it comes to this stuff.

It doesn't, just BTW.  If you're dazed by an attack, you can;t use an immediate reaction to it.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Ok, good to know I was doing the right way then.

"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

If a character has Spiked Chain Training and is able to use Large weapons, does the damage die increase from 2d4 --> 2d6?

 

Thank you.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

posineg wrote:

If a character has Spiked Chain Training and is able to use Large weapons, does the damage die increase from 2d4 --> 2d6?

 

Thank you.

 

Player's Handbook page 220

2d4 --> 1d10

How does a gelatinous cube engulf a dwarf?  The GC makes a melee 1 attack and "pulls the target into its space" on a hit.  That would be one square.  Dwarven ability "Stand Your Ground" reduces forced movement by one.  1 - 1 = 0.  So dwarves are immune to GC's engulfing ability?

Well, the GC could just pull the dwarf in the space on the other side of the cube. The dwarf reduces this by one, but is still engulfed. So no, dwarves aren't immune.

Itaav wrote:

Well, the GC could just pull the dwarf in the space on the other side of the cube. The dwarf reduces this by one, but is still engulfed. So no, dwarves aren't immune.

 

No, it can't. The power says, "The cube grabs the target (escape DC 15) and pulls the target into its space." You can't arbitrarily pretend the power does something other than what it specifically says it does.

Look at this:

 

 

12

34D

 

D is the dwarf, 1, 2, 3, and 4 are the GC.

If the cube attempts to pull the dwarf 1 square into square 4, the dwarf reduces this movement by 1. 1 - 1 = 0. Nothing happens.

 

If the cube attempts to pull the dwarf into square 3, however, the dwarf can only resist 1 square of movement, and ends up in square 4. It says nowhere that the cube has to pull the target in its space closest to the target.

Ah, I didn't understand the syntax of your sentence; I though you meant the GC could pull the dwarf to a square on its opposite side (in this case, the square immediately left of 3 on your diagram). The attack is poorly worded. After looking at the rules on forced movement, pull, etc. again I think it's pretty clear Dwarves should be affected (at least RAI), but the attack really should read "into one of its spaces" since it's a large creature.

By the way, all this leaves the "target is grabbed" aside? Dwarf probably loses the attack vs Reflex, is grabbed, and then has no ground to stand.