Rules Q&A FAQ + ask a simple question

15519 posts / 0 new
Last post

thespaceinvader wrote:

No, there isn't a way to make shields quicker to equip.  Use a Spiked Shield or a Fighting Shield if you must, but switching between sword and board and dual wielding is terrible.

So is switching between sword and board and a longbow.  What do you mean when you say they paragoned into ranger?  Like PMC ranger?  Because the fact that they are trying to be sword and board and use a bow and possibly be PMC ranger means that character has a lot of other problems with it.

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

Matyr wrote:

thespaceinvader wrote:

No, there isn't a way to make shields quicker to equip.  Use a Spiked Shield or a Fighting Shield if you must, but switching between sword and board and dual wielding is terrible.

So is switching between sword and board and a longbow.  What do you mean when you say they paragoned into ranger?  Like PMC ranger?  Because the fact that they are trying to be sword and board and use a bow and possibly be PMC ranger means that character has a lot of other problems with it.

Class: Fighter.  Multi-class Feats: Ranger.  Paragon: Battlefield Archer.

We made up a magic shield that has a Property: may be equipped/stowed as a move action.   I think we'll just go with that.  But I figured I'd ask the forums since often times there's excellent pearls of wisdom I get from here

And just as a side-note, so the above makes sense: our players make builds that only need to be viable (by viable, I mean un-optimized, but survives combat and isn't useless).  The main focus is making a character is the feel/style/flavor they like.  Naturally, if a player wanted a style that was just unviable, then there's a major problem.  But otherwise, we only shoot for viable.  The issue with the above character has been equiping the shield, everything else works fine.  He has Quick Draw, which makes it easier.

How does he even qualify for Battlefield Archer?  Don't you need Archer style to qualify?  Also... why would you do any of that?  Why not just be a ranger and go from there.

Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

Matyr wrote:

How does he even qualify for Battlefield Archer?  Don't you need Archer style to qualify?  Also... why would you do any of that?  Why not just be a ranger and go from there.

Ah, indeed, I see you do need that fighting style.  Not a biggie, though, IMHO.  He picked it for it's feel and style, and is not all that great for a fighter who spends half his time every encounter running up to bag guys and marking them.

He did it just because he likes the feel of it.  No other reason.  His basic concept is an elf fighter; good at melee, wears heavy armor (scale), but also quite good with his bow (and he's Okay with the fact that this tactic makes him "good" at both melee and ranged, but not "super great" at either one).  If you have suggestions that might accomplish this better, I'd be happy to pass it by him

Don't.  Basically.  This is not a mode of play which the game supports.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Malph wrote:

Matyr wrote:

Ah, indeed, I see you do need that fighting style.  Not a biggie, though, IMHO.  He picked it for it's feel and style, and is not all that great for a fighter who spends half his time every encounter running up to bag guys and marking them.

He did it just because he likes the feel of it.  No other reason.  His basic concept is an elf fighter; good at melee, wears heavy armor (scale), but also quite good with his bow (and he's Okay with the fact that this tactic makes him "good" at both melee and ranged, but not "super great" at either one).  If you have suggestions that might accomplish this better, I'd be happy to pass it by him

Make him a Ranger|Cleric/Fighter/Tactical Warpriest.  If you went STR/DEX you could dual wield and still have the shield bonus from the cleric side (You should still have 13 Wis for Battle Awareness at least).  You could still switch to the bow if you really wanted, but this way you would be far more effective in melee and only meh outside of melee.

While you don't "mark" this way you have a lot of psuedo mark violation mechanics and at 16 you now have a mark you can use all the time.  The build normally puts a good chunk in Wis but you can go STR/DEX dual primary without loosing too terribly much.  That will make the character not optimal but functional.  His character at the moment is, likely, not worth the monster he adds to the combat by existing.  You could check out the Manticore feat and it won't be terrible for him.

Edit: Also with quick draw this gets around your shield problem as well.  Since the character will be using 2 weapons or a bow but always have a "shield" bonus out they don't have to worry about that pesky shield.

Show

Winged Shield would be the other option, but it's a 15th-level rare item.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Thanks all

Hi.

To cast a ritual from a book, you need to be at least at the ritual's level to do so. But does it works the same for scrolls? Can a level 3 character cast a ritual from a level 5 scroll?

Given that Erathis is not an FR god, is Cog of Erathis available as an item in LFR?

Edit: I'm seeing this in the LFR rules entry regarding deities:

Many of the player resources listed in Table 1 refer to 
the core rules pantheon. Elements such as feats and magic 
items appearing in these sourcebooks can be converted to 
their LFR equivalents and are thereby made legal for play. 
Use the Realms-equivalent deity on Table 2 for any rule that 
specifies a core rules deity. If there's no Realms-equivalent 
deity listed, that rule isn't allowed in LFR. without additional 
campaign documentation.

Gond - Unaligned -  Craft -  Erathis

Does that mean that I can convert Erathis to Gond and still be able to use the Cog of Erathis?

Yes.

I need some clarification on targeting while under the "blind" effect. I have several attacks that are close burst or blast, with the specification that the attack targets "one creature in burst" or "all creatures in burst", not specifically "one creature you can see in burst," etc.  My dm insists that these attacks (like a close burst 1) would not hit an adjacent enemy unless I specifically target it, something he says I am unable to do while blind without guessing a square. I've played in other games where this was not the case, so we've argued about this several times. It dosen't make sense to me that something like a giant fiery explosion bursting out in a radius from a character would completely avoid a target that is next to you because you are blinded. Are the blind rules being followed correctly here? I could use some guidebook references to back me (or him) up.

Sageheart wrote:

I need some clarification on targeting while under the "blind" effect. I have several attacks that are close burst or blast, with the specification that the attack targets "one creature in burst" or "all creatures in burst", not specifically "one creature you can see in burst," etc.  My dm insists that these attacks (like a close burst 1) would not hit an adjacent enemy unless I specifically target it, something he says I am unable to do while blind without guessing a square. I've played in other games where this was not the case, so we've argued about this several times. It dosen't make sense to me that something like a giant fiery explosion bursting out in a radius from a character would completely avoid a target that is next to you because you are blinded. Are the blind rules being followed correctly here? I could use some guidebook references to back me (or him) up.

First lets look at what blinded as a status effect does.

The creature can’t see, which means its targets have total concealment against it.
     The creature takes a -10 penalty to Perception checks.
     The creature grants combat advantage.
     The creature can’t flank.

A blinded creature cannot have combat advantage against anyone.
    This condition applies to creatures that have been temporarily blinded, such as by exposure to brilliant light or a magical darkness clouding their eyes. It doesn’t apply to creatures that are naturally blind (such as oozes).

PHB 277

So the target has total concealment.  So lets look at what Concealment does.

Total Concealment (-5 Penalty to Attack Rolls): An attacker takes a -5 penalty to melee and ranged attack rolls against a target that has total concealment. The attacker can’t see the target: It is invisible, in a totally obscured square, or in a heavily obscured square and not adjacent to the attacker.

RC220

Cool, so the attack isn't a melee or ranged attack, thus it is uneffected.  The same entry (different line) has another note on it that may help clarify it for your DM.

Unless otherwise noted, area powers and close powers are not affected by concealment. Such powers often produce explosions or great weapon swings that don’t depend on vision.

RC220

Show

Thanks, Matyr!  I figure that question's probably been asked before, but I couldn't locate the guidelines for the life of me. I appreciate the help! This should clear things up at the table so I can go back to exploding minions, blinded or no. 

Sageheart wrote:

Thanks, Matyr!  I figure that question's probably been asked before, but I couldn't locate the guidelines for the life of me. I appreciate the help! This should clear things up at the table so I can go back to exploding minions, blinded or no. 

Keep in mind that you can never have combat advantage against things while blinded.  Even if a creature has "Grants combat advantage (Save Ends)" you still do not get CA against it.

Show

FWIW, compare and contrast Come and Get It for a burst power which WOULDN'T work when you were Blind.

Feral Assault, lvl 3 Vampire encounter power says;

Special: You can lose a healing surge when you use this power to either target a second creature or deal 2D8 extra damage with the attack.

If choosing to deal the extra 2D8 extra dmg, would you have to spend the surge before you make the attack even if it misses or choose once you hit with the attack?

Dansun wrote:

Feral Assault, lvl 3 Vampire encounter power says;

Special: You can lose a healing surge when you use this power to either target a second creature or deal 2D8 extra damage with the attack.

If choosing to deal the extra 2D8 extra dmg, would you have to spend the surge before you make the attack even if it misses or choose once you hit with the attack?

You have to spend the surge prior to hitting.

Show

Does the elemental hexblade path's at-will Unraveling Strike ping the vulnerability that it creates on subsequent attacks w/o the use of additional damage type modifiers?  (example: A warlord grants me an off turn MBA with which I use Unraveling Strike do I get three extra damage. ) I had always assumed it did due to the line that says "Choose acid, cold , fire, lightning, or thunder.", but recent closer reading seems to indicate that that doesn't affect the damage, merely the vulnerability.

Jerico_Mason wrote:

Does the elemental hexblade path's at-will Unraveling Strike ping the vulnerability that it creates on subsequent attacks w/o the use of additional damage type modifiers?  (example: A warlord grants me an off turn MBA with which I use Unraveling Strike do I get three extra damage. ) I had always assumed it did due to the line that says "Choose acid, cold , fire, lightning, or thunder.", but recent closer reading seems to indicate that that doesn't affect the damage, merely the vulnerability.

No, it lacks the keywords. If it would add the keyword depending on what element you choose, it ought to have the "varies" keyword, which it has neither.

Hello!

Question :

about § Line of effect, in PH1, page 273 ;

can a ranged power, targeting one creature or a square for a ranged burst, be used across squares occupied by other people? (ennemies or allied)

Or a ranged power must have a totally free line of effect, with nobody between the caster and the target?

Bozo_Nancy wrote:

Hello!

Question :

about § Line of effect, in PH1, page 273 ;

can a ranged power, targeting one creature or a square for a ranged burst, be used across squares occupied by other people? (ennemies or allied)

Or a ranged power must have a totally free line of effect, with nobody between the caster and the target?

Yes it can be used, creatures do not block line of effect. They may provide cover though - see P280.

Thank you!

Q - On an interrupt power (like Shield, which lasts until the end of your next turn) when is your next turn?  Is it your turn this round or your turn next round?  As in, I'll meet you Wednesday or next Wednesday? Our virtual tabletop seems to think it's next round (next Wed.).

Your next turn is when you take your next turn.  In the date example "Next Wednesday" would be the next time you have a Wednesday.  If it is Tuesday that means tomorrow, if it is Thursday that means its going to be a while.

Show

Suppose a power marks as a result of the hit clause, like Thundering Vortex. Is there any way to drop that mark voluntarily, or is it stuck until the duration normally elapses as described in the power?

I killed Aleena.

Hi!

A question about foced teleportation in general, and psionic "dimensional scramble" particularly....

Can it be used for a vertical move?

Bozo_Nancy wrote:

Hi!

A question about foced teleportation in general, and psionic "dimensional scramble" particularly....

Yes, but if the teleportation would cause the creature to fall, it gets a saving throw to stay where it was (RC p.213). 

Xaspian wrote:

Bozo_Nancy wrote:

Hi!

Yes, but if the teleportation would cause the creature to fall, it gets a saving throw to stay where it was (RC p.213). 

Furthermore there is a very common "gentleman's agreement" between players and DMs that you do not teleport things into the air.  The agreement is that way because that way leads to an arms race in which the DM will always win.

Show

Thanks to Xaspian for the technical advice and thanks to Matyr for the wise advice! :-)

Bozo_Nancy wrote:

Thanks to Xaspian for the technical advice and thanks to Matyr for the wise advice! :-)

Any time

Show

Searching turned up nothing, so clarification needed - when does extra damage add its keyword to the power?

Only if it's an always-on extra damage or even if it's just "when you hit" extra damage?

Or not at all?

I've head it said that when Mindbit Scorn adds a die of psychic damage to your Curse damage, it can trigger Psychic Lock.

Similarly, I'm wondering if using Gloves of Eldritch Admixture to change your Curse damage to Acid would trigger the 10th level feature of the Ooze Master theme (when you hit with an acid attack, the target grants CA).

Thanks guys.

Looking for work in IT or Logistics? Willing to relocate to western Michigan? Send me a PM.

AH_Iceman wrote:

Searching turned up nothing, so clarification needed - when does extra damage add its keyword to the power?

Only if it's an always-on extra damage or even if it's just "when you hit" extra damage?

Or not at all?

I've head it said that when Mindbit Scorn adds a die of psychic damage to your Curse damage, it can trigger Psychic Lock.

Similarly, I'm wondering if using Gloves of Eldritch Admixture to change your Curse damage to Acid would trigger the 10th level feature of the Ooze Master theme (when you hit with an acid attack, the target grants CA).

Thanks guys.

Those are both correct.  If you deal extra damage that is typed the entire attack gains the keywords of that type.  If you deal a separate damage instance, then that separate damage instance does not make the attack have the same keywords.

For example if something said "Whenever you hit a creature with an arcane fire attack, that creature takes 1d6 cold damage." would be a separate damage instance.  That original attack would not gain the cold keyword from that ability because it is a separate damage instance.

Show

Awesome, thanks.

Since posting, I wandered across a thread in CharOp suggesting Mindbite Scorn and Psychic Lock to a player asking for advice, so I figured I was on the right track. But it's good to get confirmation.

And the difference between extra damage like Curse vs additional / separate damage (say, Punishing Eye, since we're talking psychic) makes sense.

Looking for work in IT or Logistics? Willing to relocate to western Michigan? Send me a PM.

I'm not that good in English to understand it correctly, can u help me?

Chill Winds (lvl 16 Blizzard Mage Paragon): Whenever you score a critical hit, you can slide any single creature within 10 sq. of you 1 sq.

Does it mean, i can slide ONE creature of all 1 sq. or as many creatures as i want 1 sq?

Thx in advance...

Mislonidas wrote:

I'm not that good in English to understand it correctly, can u help me?

Chill Winds (lvl 16 Blizzard Mage Paragon): Whenever you score a critical hit, you can slide any single creature within 10 sq. of you 1 sq.

Does it mean, i can slide ONE creature of all 1 sq. or as many creatures as i want 1 sq?

Thx in advance...

It means you can slide 1 creature.

Show

FWIW, 'each', or 'every' would do all of them, where 'any' does only one.

Do Star Pact (Binder) riders apply to non-Binder Star Pact Warlocks?

darkwarlock wrote:

Do Star Pact (Binder) riders apply to non-Binder Star Pact Warlocks?

Afraid not.

Srar pact and Star pact (binder) are two different things.

One of the reasons why so many of the options in Heroes of Shadow are unpopulare.

The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

The Rules Compendium “Forced Movement” section says (on p.212): “When a distance is specified, it is a maximum; the creature or effect producing the forced movement can move its target up to that number of squares (or none at all).”

Where can I find a similar rule for non-forced movement?

Two examples are the avenger powers Overwhelming Strike (PH2 p.35) and Deadly Stride (DP p.9). They respectively say:

• Hit: 1[W] + Wisdom modifier damage. You shift 1 square and slide the target 1 square into the space you occupied.
  • Effect: Before the attack, you shift a number of squares equal to one-half your speed. You gain phasing during this movement.

So if I just want to stay put while making these attacks, what rule lets me do so?

Thanks!