Rules Q&A FAQ + ask a simple question

15475 posts / 0 new
Last post

The same question applies to all the damage-type-altering weapons, and the answer is that there is not a RAW answer.  RAW, powers from the weapon don't apply when using the Ki Focus.  But when you're talking about a power which is a toggle (swapping between two types with neither as a default), or one which is a property of using the weapon (I'm fairly sure there's at least one which doesn't give you an option, it just does *type* damage), it's not clear.

Doing poison damage (or Cold damage with a Frost weapon) is not using the powers or properties of the weapon for the attack, any more than benefitting from Battle Cleric's Lore is using healing word for the attack.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Nah, just a player making yet another character for the backup pile. (this one is a poison-spamming executioner)
Guess I'll pester my DM about it, though, since RAW is ambiguous enough there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

Can a Thri-kreen with the Thri-kreen shooter feat and Two-fisted shooter feat wear a spiked gauntlet and wield a superior crossbow in his upper limbs and still use the hand crossbow in his lower limbs for the granted attacks that occur on a critical?

I'm sure this has been answered numerous times, but I'm getting errors using search.

I just picked up my level 15 daily on my Avenger, Aspect of Fury.  The effect is any enemy starting its turn adjacent to me or that hits or misses me with a melee attack takes 5 damage.

Do I add any modifiers to this damage?  I expect not since it isn't a damage roll.

Cheers

TD

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Thazar-De wrote:

I'm sure this has been answered numerous times, but I'm getting errors using search.

I just picked up my level 15 daily on my Avenger, Aspect of Fury.  The effect is any enemy starting its turn adjacent to me or that hits or misses me with a melee attack takes 5 damage.

Do I add any modifiers to this damage?  I expect not since it isn't a damage roll.

Cheers

TD

You're not adding damage roll modifiers, no. Vulnerabilities, etc. apply, of course, so if you're a typical Int/Wis/Radiant One/Morninglord Avenger you get some mileage out of it.

A simple question about flanking: 

Consider the following situation, Fighter engages Monster 1 while Ranger engages Monster 2, Fighter and Ranger are opposite to each other and adjacent to monster 1, my friend says monster 1 is flanked, I said it's not because Ranger is engaging monster 2 and not monster 1.  What is the most correct thing in this situation? Thanks.

FM1RM2

The position is what matters. If the fighter and ranger are on opposite sides of a monster, they are flanking it, regardless of whether they've attacked that monster, a different monster, or are just standing there picking their nose. 

One question. if I want fall intentionally, what action I consume? moving, minor, free?

Dropping prone is a minor action.  Stepping off a cliff is treated like any other square of movement.

I want to fall intentionally to use this skill:

Drop and Roll

You fall off a ledge, but your training allows you to dash forward after landing safely.

At-Will
Immediate Reaction      Personal

Trigger: You fall and take no damage

Effect: You shift 3 squares.

It's possible?

I'm not sure what you're asking.  What does "intencionaumente" mean?

knowingly, intentionally ..

Drop and Roll is an Immediate Reaction, so you can only use it on someone else's turn.  It also doesn't make you fall in and of itself - it's a power TRIGGERED by you falling and taking no damage (usually with the Acrobatics skill, but possibly with an item like Safewing Amulet or Lesser Ring of Feather Fall), allowing you, when that happens, to shift 3.

You can't force it to happen on your turn; it's an Immediate action, you don't have those available on your turn.

Its utility is in reacting to falls other people force you into, by knocking you off high objects or teleporting you into the air, basically.  It's not particularly good.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

thank you very much

Thanks!

There are a few cases where you can force Drop and Roll to kick in.

One of them is being a Pixie and simply ending your turn higher than your altitude limit; when you end your turn too high you'll fall, and since your turn is over you can use the immediate reaction to shift.

Your end-of-turn phase still happens during your turn.

Quick question:

A charge is listed as a standard action.  It says you: Move, attack with MBA, turn ends.

So does that mean that on my turn, I can:

1. Take a move action.

2. Take a minor action (draw a weapon or what-not)

3. Take my standard action as a Charge, meaning I: move again, attack the enemy with MBA + 1, then my turn ends.

Malph wrote:

Quick question:

A charge is listed as a standard action.  It says you: Move, attack with MBA, turn ends.

1. Take a move action.

3. Take my standard action as a Charge, meaning I: move again, attack the enemy with MBA + 1, then my turn ends.

Yes.

Malph wrote:

Quick question:

1. Take a move action.

Just to clarify- your charge doesn't end your turn; it does prevent you from taking further (move/minor/standard) actions, but not free actions.  If you want, you can take a move, minor, charge, then action point to gain a new standard, and use that standard.

One more quick question:

When you retrain Feats, is it Okay to replace a feat you got at low-levels with one that is higher-level?

Example: Bob got Backstabber feat when he was level 5.  Upon turning level 24, he decides to retrain that and replace it with an epic-tier feat.

Is this allowed?

Malph wrote:

One more quick question:

When you retrain Feats, is it Okay to replace a feat you got at low-levels with one that is higher-level?

Example: Bob got Backstabber feat when he was level 5.  Upon turning level 24, he decides to retrain that and replace it with an epic-tier feat.

Is this allowed?

This is allowed, as long as you aren't removing a feat that is a pre-requisite for something else (e.g. You cannot retrain Two-Weapon fighting if you have Two Weapon-Defense). The PHB (p28) explicitly notes that you can potentially have 4 paragon feats by level 12.

Indeed, it's a fairly central point of building some characters - 11th level is when they start, because they rely on 2 Paragon feats to function, which they can get both of at that level.

Question:

This is in regards to Tactitian's Armor (Adenturer's Vault pg 54).

The property of the armor is "When a power or class feature calls on your Inteligence modifier to determine a value other than your attack bonus, add 1 to the value."

My question is: If a warlord (or whichever class) wearing this armor uses a power that gives an ally an addition to attack bonus equal to Int modifier, does this armor add to it?  The property says "your" attack bonus, which I read a meaning the wearer's, so if the wearer gives someone else an attack bonus relating to Int mod, the property adds 1 to it.  But I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Yes, it does.  in fact, that's the *specific case it was designed for*.

Your attack bonus is the one you use to hit things with.

Worth noting it's also effective on damage...

Tactician's armor, much like the rhythm blade enchantment, is one of those items designed specifically for a certain class or two, which also happen to benefit a small number of other characters in certain cases. While it's beneficial to any Int-secondary class, it's really meant for warlords.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Two Questions,

1. Can you make an opportunity attack while flying?  In DMG1 pg 47 it says that you cannot, however RC doesn't mention opportunity attacks at all.

2. Does the RBA granted by the impaling weapon count as a no action or a free action attack?  No action type is listed so I am inclined to lean towards the no action, but that seems very powerful.

Jerico_Mason wrote:

Two Questions,

1. Can you make an opportunity attack while flying?  In DMG1 it says that you cannot, however RC doesn't mention opportunity attacks at all.

2. Does the RBA granted by the impaling weapon count as a no action or a free action attack?  No action type is listed so I am inclined to lean towards the no action, but that seems very powerful.

1: No reason whatsoever why not tot he best of my knowledge.

2: If no action type is listed, it's a no action.

Not sure if this one has been asked already, but do attacks that have both Weapon and Implement keywords get critical dice from both weapon and an implement?  It seems that RAI would be no, but I want to make sure that I discuss this if RAW would allow it.

Does out numbering your enemy count as combat advantage? Meaning for a rogue you can get sneak attack?

Crimson_Legend wrote:
Does out numbering your enemy count as combat advantage? Meaning for a rogue you can get sneak attack?
 No.  Why would you think this?

Jerico_Mason wrote:

Not sure if this one has been asked already, but do attacks that have both Weapon and Implement keywords get critical dice from both weapon and an implement?  It seems that RAI would be no, but I want to make sure that I discuss this if RAW would allow it.

Only two types of powers have both the implement and weapon keywords.  One type is hexblade powers, and these all specifically say that they have to be used with the relevant pact weapon, in which case your question is moot.  The other "type" is just one power: Freezing Swordburst.  Here, the obvious intent is that you use the weapon for the first attack, implement for the second.  (EDIT: And since swordmages tend to have a blade in one hand and nothing in the other, and they typically have no other reason to use a ki focus or holy symbol, in most cases this will turn out to be one and the same item, in which case again the question is moot.)  I'm not sure that there's explicit written rules to cover this possibility, though, so I suggest going by the intended rule.

Two questions.

1. I am almost positive the answer to this is "Yes", but here goes: If a power targets "Each creature in the blast/burst", does that include allies?

2. Is there any feat or something I can get for a Druid to help him use burst/blast attacks and not hit his allies? He's level 4, and his powers like Chill Wind and Tundra Wind are difficult to use, since allies are usually in the blast.  The feat "War Wizard's Staff" would be perfect, but it's only for arcane powers.

I'm looking to make my Druid as much of a Controller as possible.  Suggestions would be much appreciated :D

1. Yes - it includes all allies (unless they are dead, because then they are no longer creatures or allies - they are objects)

2. I can't think of a feat that works for Druids, but a Staff of Transposition has a daily power to teleport allies in the area of an effect of one of your powers to the nearest unaffected square of your choice.

(War Wizardry is actually much better then War Wizard's Staff, but its also limited to arcane powers) 

Simply outnumbering would not give combat advantage.  But if you use your superior numbers to get into flanking positions, a rogue in a flanking position has combat advantage against the enemy.

Thanks Zion!

I was reading a handbook for druids, and it spoke about a power pushing targets then dropping them prone.... and how that's helpful because the targets won't be able to charge.  Why can't they charge? Can't they: 1. Stand up (move) 2. Charge (stand action, which includes another move as part of it)?

Malph wrote:

Two questions.

1. I am almost positive the answer to this is "Yes", but here goes: If a power targets "Each creature in the blast/burst", does that include allies?

2. Is there any feat or something I can get for a Druid to help him use burst/blast attacks and not hit his allies? He's level 4, and his powers like Chill Wind and Tundra Wind are difficult to use, since allies are usually in the blast.  The feat "War Wizard's Staff" would be perfect, but it's only for arcane powers.

I'm looking to make my Druid as much of a Controller as possible.  Suggestions would be much appreciated :D

There are a couple of racial options (Eladrin can take a feat to expend Fey Step to get allies out of their bursts and blasts, for instance) but in general, most of the Druid bursts/blasts are small enough that you can plan around them.  Work with your team to make sure they're not in your way.  Also worth remembering that Large and bigger creatures have a vertical as well as horizontal size - you can blast in the square above your and your allies' heads to catch creatures larger than you, but not you.

Malph wrote:

I was reading a handbook for druids, and it spoke about a power pushing targets then dropping them prone.... and how that's helpful because the targets won't be able to charge.  Why can't they charge? Can't they: 1. Stand up (move) 2. Charge (stand action, which includes another move as part of it)?

You make sure everyone is one square away from them, then they can't charge (and can't attack at all if they lack reach or range/blasts/bursts) because you have to move at least 2 squares to charge.  Or you slow them and make sure everyone's at least 2 squares+reach away.

Yes, they can do what you suggest, but propoer tactical positioning means that they won't be able to usefully.

Would commanding a summoned creature to attack with your standard action break the invisibility given with a Gloaming Armor?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Usually, yes.  When your summon attacks, you're the one attacking through it;.