Rules Q&A FAQ + ask a simple question

15618 posts / 0 new
Last post

miados wrote:
If you are grabbed can you still make opportunity attacks?
Yes.

Plaguescarred wrote:

 

thespaceinvader wrote:

Which refers to extra damage, but not to things like bonuses.  Do a feat bonus to damage rolls with cold attacks confer bonus damage, or bonus cold damage, to a mix of untyped and cold damage?

 

I cited extra damage rule because Jerico_Mason referenced it.

 

Bonus damage? I am not familiar with any "bonus damage" as a game element, is there such a thing? I only know of additional (often portrayed as a + sign) or extra damage and only the latter has any guidance on the type it has in respect to the damage added to.

Maybe read the post you quoted then?

 

If I have a game element that says 'you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with cold attacks' and I make an attack using a frozen whetstone (cold attack, check damage roll, check) I get a +1 bonus to damage.  What type is that 1 damage?

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

So an example of "bonus damage" would be gloves of ice

" Your cold attacks gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls"

 

That appears to me to be a bonus to the damage roll, so it would have the same damage as the damage roll (given that it is merely increasing the roll).  And I know that's how I would rule it if I were dming.  Anyways, that's good enough for me and I'm glad to know there wasn't a rule I was missing.

Also, sorry about being unclear in the language upthread.  You would think that given that this is a rules forum and we were discussing specific rules, I would make sure to get the terminology correct.

Because its not a damage in itself but a bonus to a damage roll, it should be of whatever type the damage's roll is.

 

Hit: 1d10 + strenght modifier cold damage

Hit: 1d10 + strenght modifier +2 cold damage

ive got a quick question and hopefully i can get a good answer.

 

how does the spirit breath feat work in conjunction with the avatar of io's breath mastery feature?

ff7freak53 wrote:

ive got a quick question and hopefully i can get a good answer.

 

how does the spirit breath feat work in conjunction with the avatar of io's breath mastery feature?

 

I don't know if there's really a definitive answer here because of the wording, but I would probably say the RAW is that there's no interaction.   There would be possible DM discretion to say that if you use Breath Mastery to change the damage type, and then use a daily primal power of that damage type while you still have the +2 benefit from Breath Mastery, then Spirit Breath would trigger, but that would entirely be a house rule.

 

   Spirit Breath gets a bit messier when you start including a lot of the other feats that change dragon breath.  For example, if you take Thundering Breath, then does your daily primal power have to do both Lightning and Thunder damage to trigger Spirit Breath, or just one or the other?  And how does it interact with Adaptable breath, which lets you pick an additional damage type you can choose when you use dragon breath, and which you can then combine by using Admixture Breath.

 

I think the most consistent application is to read Spirit Breath as if it instead said:

 

"Benefit: When you use a daily primal attack power with a keyword that matches the damage type you chose for your dragon breath power when creating your character, you regain the use of dragon breath."

 

But that does weaken it a bit depending on how it was interpreted to work with Adaptable Breath and other feats.

If I am a Hybrid warlord, and take Hybrid Talent --> Commanding Presence (Resourceful Presence) I can only apply the benefit 1 time per encounter.

 

What about if I take Infernal Strategist paragon path, and get another Presence, does the presence granted by the PP have the 1/enc restriction or because it is not gained via Hybrid Talent does it apply to all AP usages during encounters?

Does using a versatile weapon two-handed allow it to count as two handed for the purposes of an expertise feat (such as Mighty Crusader expertise)?

Jerico_Mason wrote:

Does using a versatile weapon two-handed allow it to count as two handed for the purposes of an expertise feat (such as Mighty Crusader expertise)?

 

No, because its still defined as a one-handed weapon, even if you're a small character and required to use it two-handed.  It also would not qualify for any powers (mostly fighter or barbarian powers) that require a two-handed weapon.

Highborne wrote:

If I am a Hybrid warlord, and take Hybrid Talent --> Commanding Presence (Resourceful Presence) I can only apply the benefit 1 time per encounter.

 

What about if I take Infernal Strategist paragon path, and get another Presence, does the presence granted by the PP have the 1/enc restriction or because it is not gained via Hybrid Talent does it apply to all AP usages during encounters?

 

The Hyrbid restriction to 1/encounter is on Commanding Presence, not the presence you selected, so its 1/encounter across all your available presences. 

    Once per encounter an ally using an action point can get a benefit, and can choose the benefit from either of your presences.  Then no ally can gain a benefit from either presence again until the next encounter.

RisingZan wrote:

 

Jerico_Mason wrote:

Does using a versatile weapon two-handed allow it to count as two handed for the purposes of an expertise feat (such as Mighty Crusader expertise)?

 

 

No, because its still defined as a one-handed weapon, even if you're a small character and required to use it two-handed.  It also would not qualify for any powers (mostly fighter or barbarian powers) that require a two-handed weapon.

It would qualify for most of the Barbarian powers, because they were specifically changed to 'wielding a weapon in two hands' precisely because of this issue.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Hadn't noticed that before it looks like the updated the At-will powers. That not only enables a versatile weapon to be used, but also all double weapons.

 

  Powers that require a "two-handed reach weapon" were not changed, which makes sense in context.  The only one-handed reach weapon is the Whip.

 

 

Nope, not double weapons.  They don't count as a single weapon wielded in two hands, they count as two weapons (unless they're Stout).

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Is there any rule which allows the inducing of an Afflictin?

  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

 

What's the default reach of swarm creatures? I know they can occupy the same square as other creatures, but must they do that in order to attack?

 

I also asked this here: http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/29365/whats-the-reach-of-swarm-creatures

There's no default; the reach of their abilities will be stated in their abilities, and will vary depending on the creature.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Hi guys quick question about rules that came up

 

if you are hit by a single target ranged attack and you use an immediate interrupt to teleport a few squares but still remain within line of sight and line of effect and range of the power will you still be hit/damaged by the attack?

 

 

ie: someone shoots an arrow at you - you teleport 1 square away,  still in range, line of right and line of effect - will the attack resolve normally?

 

the reason this came up is this power

 

Slaad's Gambit

You tap into chaos just as a foe is about to hit you. A greenish hue flickers across your skin as you teleport away, then make your own attack.

Daily        Arcane, Implement, Psychic, Teleportation
Immediate Interrupt      Ranged 5

Trigger: An enemy within 5 squares of you hits you

Target: The triggering enemy

Effect: Before the attack, you teleport your speed.

Attack: Charisma vs. Will

Hit: 2d10 + Charisma modifier psychic damage.

Miss: Half damage.

droggar wrote:

Hi guys quick question about rules that came up

 

if you are hit by a single target ranged attack and you use an immediate interrupt to teleport a few squares but still remain within line of sight and line of effect and range of the power will you still be hit/damaged by the attack?

 

 

ie: someone shoots an arrow at you - you teleport 1 square away,  still in range, line of right and line of effect - will the attack resolve normally?

 

the reason this came up is this power

 

Slaad's Gambit

You tap into chaos just as a foe is about to hit you. A greenish hue flickers across your skin as you teleport away, then make your own attack.

Daily        Arcane, Implement, Psychic, Teleportation
Immediate Interrupt      Ranged 5

Trigger: An enemy within 5 squares of you hits you

Target: The triggering enemy

Effect: Before the attack, you teleport your speed.

Attack: Charisma vs. Will

Hit: 2d10 + Charisma modifier psychic damage.

Miss: Half damage.

Yes, if he, after your TP, has still line of effect and is in range of you, he will still hit you, if you don't kill him with the II first. Anyway, against a ranged attacker you use it like: TP adjacent to him (and only to him, otherwise this tactic can be suicidal). So you can dish out the II's damage + he provokes an OA for making a ranged attack while adjacent to you. Since it's his turn, you can't provoke an OA from him for using Slaad's Gambit while adjacent to him.

Would more obviously work if the trigger was "an enemy within 5 squares of you attacks you", but since timing is not 100% defined, it should work.

 

If you teleport next to someone triggered by being hit by them with a ranged or area attack, they won't provoke from you.  They're already past that step in the attack sequence.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

That's what i suspected, hence the footnote.

"Plus" "additional" and "Extra" damage, are they the same thing?


Specifically looking at the Avenger d5 Living Death Strike (which has '2W additional damage' in the effect line) and e1 Raging Tempest(which has 'plus 1d6 lightning damage' in the hit line).

 

Avenger guide says it's unclear but it's also almost a year old and can't be accessed through the new site, so I figured there might be a consensus or clarification now.

If one calms its hyprocitical cheesemonster inside, it's pretty clear that they're no separate damage instance for exactly the reason you already mentioned: "+", "plus", "additional" and "extra" are predefined terms and those powers were obviously written by someone who didn't know what he's doing. The more ambiguous of those two is Raging Tempest, since it feels the need to separate the two portions of damage in terms of keywords.

But ETV, as already stated in the guide.​

Can anyone tell me why, in the DDI Character builder, I can create a Druid Protector class, and when selecting At-Will powers, I can choose from both Heroes of the Feywild AND Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms resources, but when I choose my encounter power, The encounter powers from Forgotten Kingdoms are not selectable?

 

Thanks!

 

EDIT - Nevermind, I think I just found out why, because the 2 Level 1 encounter powers in HofFK are class feature powers.  I think LOL.

MarshallV wrote:

Can anyone tell me why, in the DDI Character builder, I can create a Druid Protector class, and when selecting At-Will powers, I can choose from both Heroes of the Feywild AND Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms resources, but when I choose my encounter power, The encounter powers from Forgotten Kingdoms are not selectable?

 

Thanks!

 

EDIT - Nevermind, I think I just found out why, because the 2 Level 1 encounter powers in HofFK are class feature powers.  I think LOL.

Correct; the Protector encounter powers from HotFW are not levelled (IIRC), so you can;t get them without something explicitly giving them to you.  The Compendium listing them with levels is an error.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

when using a rogues Epic Trick from Deadly Trickster, can i choose to recover all encounter/daily powers including non-rogue powers, racial powers, magic item powers or does it apply only to rogue attack powers?

 

 It doesn't specify that it only affects class powers, so you should consult your DM for their interpretation of it - however, by RAW, you regain everything.

 

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

 

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

 

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

 

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Sounds like a heat-seeking-missile.

 

An archer shoots an arrow, as an immediate interrupt, I teleport to another square than the original square, why should the arrow follow me? Physically not possible. But i know that these are game rules and not real life rules!

 

Forget about the mistakes, i´m German!

 

So far

Vulkanius

I've seen too many conflicting answers here while trying to look it up so I figured I'd ask myself instead (since most of the answers are 1-3 years old)

 

Mechanically is there a difference between 10 fire damage and 5 extra lightning damage and 15 fire and lightning damage? If I have resist 6 lightning do I take the full 15 from the former because I don't have combined resistance or do I take 10 and nullify the lightning aspect of the power?

 

Extra damage adds keywords to the main attack and the game has no rules regarding resolving a single damage instance with multiple components that I'm aware of, which inclines me to believe the former interpretation but neither of those concepts are exactly explicit and I've heard some people very, very aggressively defending the latter interpretation, nevermind that my system knowledge is pretty limited anyways so I don't feel comfortable leaning on my initial interpretation anyways.

ih8m wrote:

I've seen too many conflicting answers here while trying to look it up so I figured I'd ask myself instead (since most of the answers are 1-3 years old)

 

Mechanically is there a difference between 10 fire damage and 5 extra lightning damage and 15 fire and lightning damage? If I have resist 6 lightning do I take the full 15 from the former because I don't have combined resistance or do I take 10 and nullify the lightning aspect of the power?

 

Extra damage adds keywords to the main attack and the game has no rules regarding resolving a single damage instance with multiple components that I'm aware of, which inclines me to believe the former interpretation but neither of those concepts are exactly explicit and I've heard some people very, very aggressively defending the latter interpretation, nevermind that my system knowledge is pretty limited anyways so I don't feel comfortable leaning on my initial interpretation anyways.

Yes, there is.  To resist 10 fire and lightning damage, you need to have resistances to both fire and lightning famage.  When you're hit with 5 fire and 5 lightning, and you ahve resistance to only one of them, you resist that portion of it.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

thespaceinvader wrote:
Yes, there is.  To resist 10 fire and lightning damage, you need to have resistances to both fire and lightning famage.  When you're hit with 5 fire and 5 lightning, and you ahve resistance to only one of them, you resist that portion of it.

Ok thanks, that's exactly what I was asking because the rules are unclear about how you treat multiple types of damage being applied in the same damage instance in regards to resistances/vulnerabilities and I've seen a lot of arguing both ways.

ih8m wrote:

 

thespaceinvader wrote:
Yes, there is.  To resist 10 fire and lightning damage, you need to have resistances to both fire and lightning famage.  When you're hit with 5 fire and 5 lightning, and you ahve resistance to only one of them, you resist that portion of it.

 

Ok thanks, that's exactly what I was asking because the rules are unclear about how you treat multiple types of damage being applied in the same damage instance in regards to resistances/vulnerabilities and I've seen a lot of arguing both ways.

They're very clear about multiple typed resistances and cimple multi-typed damage in this fashion.


They're a lot less clear when you add in 3 other sorts of multi-typed damage, along with resist/vulnerable all AND multiple typed resistances.  They're fine on 'resist 5 fire vs 10fire and lightning or 5 fire+5 lighting'.  They're entirely unclear on '10 fire and radiant +2 cold +3 cold and necrotic +10 untyped vs resist 3 all, resist 2 lightning, vulnerable 10 cold vulnerable 15 all.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Perhaps the best way to think about it is that your interrupt resolves before the arrow is actually fired but after you've been selected or focused on as the target. Therefore, the archer has a chance to react and re-aim at your new location, but doesn't have the time to pick out a new and different target.

Hey all! I'm new to the series and am DM'ing a great group of people who are learning the game as we go along. There is one rule that I cannot find the answer to. Magic armor: how do you determine the loot properties as a DM?I assume there is a table that determines types and property of the magic armor, but I cannot find it. Any help would be great! Thank you.

Just pick something you think will be fun and that you think your players will be excited by.

 

I believe there's a random loot table in one of the really recent books, and there's a number of "roll for random loot!" applications on various web pages, but the expectation of treasure is that your party will get a certain number of useful magic items per level, and "useful" is a term that depends on the characters and builds, so you might as well just *choose* the loot you're adding to the pile.

 

(Personally, I like also including non-useful loot.  However, I always make sure to account for the non-useful loot as "money", not "treasure", from my loot budget, to keep the math balanced and to prevent the disappointment factor of "Yay, it's an absolutely kickass Totem.  Can anyone use a Totem?  No?  Whee, our big reward for killing the villain is vendor trash")

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.

There are several powers that triggered an effect that is ending only if you succeed a saving throw. But if you failed, then there is an additional effect.

For such powers, if a player is allowed to make a saving throw outside the regular moment (at the end of his turn) because of power played by a priest or use of the heal skill to allow him to do a saving throw immediately and if he failed that saving throw. Does it count as "first saving throw" or should we count only the regular one?

 

Also, for the arcane skill: Identify Magical Effect. When does it apply? The magic effect can not come from Power, Rituals or Magic Items. What is left for that use of this skill? Anyone has a concrete example?

 

 

 

'First failed save' or similar effects only apply when you make a save during your end of turn phase.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Zoltan83 wrote:

There are several powers that triggered an effect that is ending only if you succeed a saving throw. But if you failed, then there is an additional effect.

For such powers, if a player is allowed to make a saving throw outside the regular moment (at the end of his turn) because of power played by a priest or use of the heal skill to allow him to do a saving throw immediately and if he failed that saving throw. Does it count as "first saving throw" or should we count only the regular one?

 

Also, for the arcane skill: Identify Magical Effect. When does it apply? The magic effect can not come from Power, Rituals or Magic Items. What is left for that use of this skill? Anyone has a concrete example?

 

 

 

 

Rules Compendium page 98 answers your first question:

Failed Saving Throw, Rules Compendium page 98
Sometimes an effect changes when a target fails a saving throw against it.  The new effect, specified in a "Failed Saving Throw" entry, occurs only after the target has finished making all its saving throws at the end of its turn.  The effect does not change if the target fails a saving throw against it at a time other than the end of its turn.

 

Assuming you meant "Identify Magical Phenomenon" for your second question, this is answered in the Rules Compendium, page 135, in fact in the sentence immediately preceding the one that says that "this use of the skill is not normally used to identify powers, magic items, or their effects" (my emphasis, to highlight that it can still be used that way, just not normally):

Identify Magical Phenomenon, Rules Compendium page 135
Make an Arcana check to identify a magical phenomenon that was created by a magical ritual or that is part of the environment, such as glowing runes on a cavern wall, an eldritch sigh glimmering on an altar, a waterfall that flows upward, or a piece of earth floating in the air.

 

Note that rituals are not precluded and are in fact explicitly included in the typical use of identifying magical phenomena.

Say I have a Spiderkissed Dagger and stab a guy with the poison damage toggle on.
Does substituting a Ki Focus for the attack still allow poison damage?

The weapon is still the one dealing damage and the effect is still active, as it is a power granting a bonus rather than a property of the weapon itself.
...but the interaction feels so weird I figure I should ask and make sure.

Daakun wrote:

Say I have a Spiderkissed Dagger and stab a guy with the poison damage toggle on.
Does substituting a Ki Focus for the attack still allow poison damage?

The weapon is still the one dealing damage and the effect is still active, as it is a power granting a bonus rather than a property of the weapon itself.
...but the interaction feels so weird I figure I should ask and make sure.

That's actually a good point that was brought up in IRC already, some time ago, by the example of Frost Weapon. Anyway, i think the following kills it:

"Your choice determines which enhancement bonus, critical hit effects, and magic item properties and powers you can apply to that power. "

As pink is aware (he asked me to comment via IRC), I disagree.  However:

  • The intent of the Ki Focus rules is "you can't do that"
  • Of the raw interpretations, it's a strong argument that you can't.  (My belief is I'm not using the power anymore. I'm applying the effect of the power.  But that's a fine hair to split)
  • More modern Ki Focus items are specifically written in a way that the line that Pinkisthenewred quotes quite CLEARLY prevents from working.

So: There's a way you could read it so that it does work.  There's a way you could read it so it doesn't.  You should ask your DM, not random people on the internets.

 

Edit: For some reason I thought this was the 4eCO "Simple question".  If you are the DM, and wondering: I think it's plenty vague to do whatever makes sense for balance.  If you just want to know the hard rules: I don'tthink there are any, and I think hard rules are overrated. ;)

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Sign In to post comments