Rules Q&A FAQ + ask a simple question

15519 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yes it is, but the limitation doesn't appear to be on the number of Attack Power used but on the number of Free action used to use them. You can use a Free action only once per turn to use an Attack Power.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Twin Strike using Rangers and Dual Strike using Fighters would like a word with you, please.

The power in question said "Make two MBA as a free action."  That means you are using one free action to make two MBAs (as no actions since the power doesn't say otherwise.)  Your free action is to make two MBAs. 

Duskweaver got why your post is irrelevant, but you really ought to consider reading things more closely. It is becoming a trend for you to think something entirely different from what was written.
Nobody is arguing you can't make multiple attacks as a single action, just that you can't use a power multiple times as a single action.

I do.

Rapid Shot
is one of the most notorious power to let you make multiple use of a Power (Ranged Basic Attacks) with a single action (Standard action).

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Rapid Shot is one of the most famous power to let you make multiple Basic Attacks with a single action.

Nope. Rapid Shot grants a certain number of RBAs, each of which is a No Action. It is identical to the old wording of Commander's Strike, which granted an MBA as a No Action.
Yes it is, but the limitation doesn't appear to be on the number of Attack Power used but on the number of Free action used to use them. You can use a Free action only once per turn to use an Attack Power.

Sigh. To repeat: one action (or one not an action), one power. That is what the rules say. You an argue it is SvG if something says to take one action and use two powers, but you'll have a difficult time supporting it. And it leaves you unable to explain exactly what type of action each of those powers used, which can be relevant to a number of game elements.

Commander Strike was different because it was the Warlord granting an action to an ally. Most action enabling have an action cost associated. If not, then it done using no action.

But Rapid Shot is not an enabling power, it let the Ranger use multiple Ranged Basic Attacks as a Standard action because thats what the Power do for the cost.  

Otherwise 99% of self-accomplishing actions Power, be it movement, attack and whatnot would be done as no action instead of the Power required action. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Commander Strike was different because it was the Warlord granting an action to an ally. Most action enabling have an action cost associated. If not, then it done using no action.

But Rapid Shot is not an enabling power, it let the Ranger use multiple Ranged Basic Attacks as a Standard action because thats what the Power do for the cost.  

Whether it is an enabling power or not is irrelevant. Rapid Shot does what it says it does. It is fantastic you've taken to making rules up and all, but don't do it in this forum. You take a standard action and can make some RBAs. Since no action is specified for those RBAs and they are not part of the power, because there is no rule which says they are and powers are default separate things, they are No Action RBAs.
This discussion is getting out of hand and should probably be moved to it's own thread, I think it is out of the "simple answer" category by this point...
Paladin's Divine Challenge has no action type specified, and so should resolve after its trigger (RC 197). However the trigger is "when it targets any of your allies with an attack power that doesn’t include you as a target". How do you even measure when "targetting" ends? Right now I'm assuming it's before any effects that the attack would cause, which means a kill with Divine Challenge would negate the attack if it killed the marked creature. Is this correct?

Also, would it resolve before the attack is even made, and as such negate anything that triggers off of the marked creature making an attack?
Official FAQ indicates that it is functionally an interrupt.

It'd help if the timing rules didn't have massive holes like triggered non-actions, but what can you do.  Note that triggered free actions are not the same thing as triggered non-actions.  That RC quote, I believe, applies only to triggered free actions.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Official FAQ indicates that it is functionally an interrupt.

It'd help if the timing rules didn't have massive holes like triggered non-actions, but what can you do.  Note that triggered free actions are not the same thing as triggered non-actions.  That RC quote, I believe, applies only to triggered free actions.

RC quote says triggered free (or non) actions and you run into the minor issue that it actually lacks a "trigger" line, but I'll say it is effectively a trigger. Also they changed the FAQ.... it used to say it was an interrupt. Not says "power was recently clarified, see errata." But the clarification... isn't. But it is clear, from years of precedent, that it is intended to be an interrupt. The problem with that is the only reading that makes it interrupt, RAW, is the same one you don't like about reactions happening between steps in the attack process.
Yes, I'm aware of that issue with the reading, and I was going off of my memory of what the FAQ said.

I don't have to care what I think about a FAQ, or whether it contradicts things, because it's a FAQ.

If this opens up yet another front in that debate I'm going to be very disappointed...
Yes, I'm aware of that issue with the reading, and I was going off of my memory of what the FAQ said.

I don't have to care what I think about a FAQ, or whether it contradicts things, because it's a FAQ.

If this opens up yet another front in that debate I'm going to be very disappointed...

Wouldn't really be a new front, I covered in the last thread as I recall. Tongue Out
The arguments in that thread kinda blur together now...
Does reserve manuver count toward hybrid "must have a power from each class" requirements?

I.e. can i use reseve manuver to "have" (and not use) a power from class A, while picking 3 encounter powers from class B?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Reserve maneuver does not interact with the hybrid rules at all.
I have a couple of Repel Charge related questions.

First, when exactly does the OA granted by Repel Charge occur?

For example, if I had a reach weapon, could I attack as soon the enemy entered my character's reach?..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />
Assuming the OA granted by Repel Charge occurs as soon as the charging enemy enters my character's reach...

If my OA hits and slows the charging enemy, would that effectively stop the enemy's movement- making the enemy unable to complete the charge?

Assuming the OA granted by Repel Charge occurs after the enemy stops moving, but before the enemy attacks...

If my OA allows me to move before attacking, and that movement puts me out of the enemy's reach, would that make the enemy unable to complete the charge?
Repel Charge's OA triggers when they make the actual attack roll against you. So they have finished moving, at that point. Reach can still be useful, though, since if they have reach they don't have to charge adjacent.

So, in order:

1) No, because they already finished moving.
2) If you are out of range, the attack portion obviously doesn't work, and they already finished moving, so they can't move after you.
Repel Charge's OA triggers when they make the actual attack roll against you. So they have finished moving, at that point. Reach can still be useful, though, since if they have reach they don't have to charge adjacent.

So, in order:

2) If you are out of range, the attack portion obviously doesn't work, and they already finished moving, so they can't move after you.

Hmm .. i didn't think about that part (from #2.)  I was under the impression that if I were to use a power which would let me move as an OA to them charging me, the monster would get to continue their movement to complete the charge.  I think most DMs would rule it this way since they want their monsters to get to attack the PCs.  (I know ... that's not the RAW for charging and all that, but I think DMs are going to shut this down by not letting you just get away from the attack roll.)  Now, if you move far away (and they have no more movement left, then they would have to say the charge didn't complete.

At least, a few of the people I've seen DM in the past would treat it that way...
Promise of Storm.
"Until the end og your next turn, you deal 1/2/3d8 extra damage when you hit with a thudner or lightning attack"

I'm assuming it means every attack I make(I plan on making a Storm Genasi Ranger) until EoNT, but just making sure. Is it every attack or just the next attack?
Promise of Storm.
"Until the end og your next turn, you deal 1/2/3d8 extra damage when you hit with a thudner or lightning attack"

I'm assuming it means every attack I make(I plan on making a Storm Genasi Ranger) until EoNT, but just making sure. Is it every attack or just the next attack?

Every one.  If it only applied to the next attack, it would say so.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Well, I know I'll be enjoying this.
Well, I know I'll be enjoying this.

You and lots of other Rangers.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

So, in order:

Hmm .. i didn't think about that part (from #2.)  I was under the impression that if I were to use a power which would let me move as an OA to them charging me, the monster would get to continue their movement to complete the charge.  I think most DMs would rule it this way since they want their monsters to get to attack the PCs.  (I know ... that's not the RAW for charging and all that, but I think DMs are going to shut this down by not letting you just get away from the attack roll.)  Now, if you move far away (and they have no more movement left, then they would have to say the charge didn't complete.

At least, a few of the people I've seen DM in the past would treat it that way...

No, because you're interrupting the attack.  If you move them (or you I suppose) as an interrupt to a place where their attack fails, then the attack fails.  They've already started attacking, and you're disrupting the attack.

There's a big, big difference between having it trigger on the movement and having it trigger on the attack.

But if you interrupt the attack, they haven't attacked yet, so shouldn't they be able to continue moving, up to their speed?

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

They have started attacking, they just haven't finished yet when you move.

RC 195 Interrupts: An immediate interrupt jumps in when its trigger occurs, taking place before the trigger finishes. If an interrupt invalidates a triggering action, the triggering action is lost. Example: An enemy makes a melee attack against Keira the Rogue, but Keira uses a power that lets her shift away as an immediate interrupt. If the enemy can no longer reach her, its attack action is lost. Similarly, Albanon the wizard might use shield in response to being hit and turn that hit into a miss, or Keira might use the immediate interrupt heroic escape to evade an enemy's attack before it can deal damage. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada

But if you interrupt the attack, they haven't attacked yet, so shouldn't they be able to continue moving, up to their speed?

Interrupts happen after their trigger starts, but before it finishes. So no. The movement portion of the charge is over.

For example, if I had a reach weapon, could I attack as soon the enemy entered my character's reach?..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />
Assuming the OA granted by Repel Charge occurs as soon as the charging enemy enters my character's reach...

If my OA hits and slows the charging enemy, would that effectively stop the enemy's movement- making the enemy unable to complete the charge?

Assuming the OA granted by Repel Charge occurs after the enemy stops moving, but before the enemy attacks...

If my OA allows me to move before attacking, and that movement puts me out of the enemy's reach, would that make the enemy unable to complete the charge?

Also, notice that Repel Charge says to make a melee basic attack as an Opportunity Action, not to make an opportunity attack.  This means that Heavy Blade Opportunity will not work with Repel Charge, so unless you have items or powers which modify MBAs or powers which can be used as an MBA (in general), then you won't have to worry about this.  Note that powers which says that they can be used in place of a melee basic attack during an opportunity attack also will not work with Repel Charge.

Also, notice that Repel Charge says to make a melee basic attack as an Opportunity Action, not to make an opportunity attack.  This means that Heavy Blade Opportunity will not work with Repel Charge, so unless you have items or powers which modify MBAs or powers which can be used as an MBA (in general), then you won't have to worry about this.  Note that powers which says that they can be used in place of a melee basic attack during an opportunity attack also will not work with Repel Charge.

Worth noting that Polearm Gamble does work, though, and may well be worth taking over Repel Charge if you qualify...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Knights of Unyielding Valor (cleric utility level 10)

Can the knight's be moved through with phasing?

Do the conjurations created grant cover as if they were allies or as if they were an obstruction (do they grant cover against close or area attacks)?

Is it possible to use forced movement to move an enemy through your allied Knights?

If the knights are used to surround a medium sized creature, can the surrounded creature squeeze or climb out of its space? What jump check would be needed for it to jump out of the space?

If the creature being surrounded is adjacent to a wall on one side and adjacent to knights on the other three sides, with the fourth knight conjured into the square directly above them, can they move (without phasing, teleportation or some other special ability)?

Knights of Unyielding Valor (cleric utility level 10)

Can the knight's be moved through with phasing?

Do the conjurations created grant cover as if they were allies or as if they were an obstruction (do they grant cover against close or area attacks)?

Is it possible to use forced movement to move an enemy through your allied Knights?

If the knights are used to surround a medium sized creature, can the surrounded creature squeeze or climb out of its space? What jump check would be needed for it to jump out of the space?

If the creature being surrounded is adjacent to a wall on one side and adjacent to knights on the other three sides, with the fourth knight conjured into the square directly above them, can they move (without phasing, teleportation or some other special ability)?

1. Up to the DM, but they ought to fall under "other obstacles" for Phasing, so I'd say yes.
2. Yes, and you could Stealth behind them if you were able to get total cover.
3. No (unless they're phasing, see above), Forced Movement has to be to squares that the creature could normally enter.
4. Well, you only conjure 4 of them and they don't "fill their space", so you'd need the creature to already be mostly in a corner otherwise they could just move diagonally. It would be a DC 30 to do a Standing Jump over the Knights. As a DM, I would probably also allow them to be climbed at a slightly lower DC (Level 10 Hard DC is 26)
5. Diagonally, see above.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Suppose the following things are true about a character:

1. is a Bard

2. has Battle Song Expertise (BSE)

3. has Blade Initiate

4. has a non-songblade longsword equipped

Does that character benefit from the feat bonus to attacks with implements on the longsword, from BSE?
I killed Aleena.
No, but yes.  While you can use it as an implement, "designated as a bard implement" is a very specific thing.  That part of it doesn't work.

However, you are making an attack roll with a weapon with which you have proficiency (or so I assume), so that part works.
No, but yes.  While you can use it as an implement, "designated as a bard implement" is a very specific thing.  That part of it doesn't work.

However, you are making an attack roll with a weapon with which you have proficiency (or so I assume), so that part works.

OK. This is how I understand BSE works:

1. applies to bard weapon powers.

2. applies to bard implement powers, provided the implement used is specifically a bard implement (wand, instrument wondrous item, songblade, and songbow)

Is this correct?

I killed Aleena.
The feat bonus to attack rolls applies to all powers, bard or not, weapon or implement.  Doesn't matter what kind of power it is, the bonus applies.  If it had either of the restrictions you describe, it would say so in the power.  "+1 feat bonus to attack rolls" is the most general structure possible.

The slide bonus only applies to bard and bard paragon path powers, because it says it only applies to bard and bard paragon path powers.
a malec-keth Jannisary (manual of the plane) has Primodial Blade feature which adds a d4 extra damage to his attacks.

suppose he also has the Thunder's Rumble feat (HoTElementalChaos)

suppose he designates the d4 as thunder damage,
 and attacks with a thunder power (such as booming blade) 

using a broadsword, does he do 1d10 + int modifier + 3 (Thunder's rumble) + 1d4 (Primordial Blade) +3(Thunder's Rumble)?

does the extra damage from Primordial Blade count as an extra "damage roll" for the purposes of Thunder's Rumble triggering?

Yes, You would add the +3 from Thunder's Rumble (+4 in epic)
No, Primordial Blade is specified as "extra damage" which is always in addition to other damage and is never a separate damage instance, just like Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry, Claw Gloves, and the Critical property of High Crit Weapons and Magic Weapons; you would only add the +3 from Thunder's Rumble once.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Yes, You would add the +3 from Thunder's Rumble (+4 in epic)
No, Primordial Blade is specified as "extra damage" which is always in addition to other damage and is never a separate damage instance, just like Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry, Claw Gloves, and the Critical property of High Crit Weapons and Magic Weapons; you would only add the +3 from Thunder's Rumble once.

To clarify Zathris's response (which has Yes for the answer to the first question), that character using Booming Blade would do:
 1d10 + int modifier +  1d4 (Primordial Blade) +3(Thunder's Rumble)

The Thunder's Rumble is only applied once.

If you do an attack that doesn't normally do thunder damage, but your Primdordial Blade is still doing Thunder damage, then you would still get the +3, so for a melee basic attack damage would be

(1d10+Str* mod)  untyped damage + (1d4 + 3) Thunder damage

*assuming you don't have Melee Training (Int)

Is it a specific action to end a grab?

Is it a specific action to end a grab?

Unless something says otherwise, free.

Note that most things that prevent taking actions ALSO cause grabs to be automatically released.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Sign In to post comments