A couple of questions on objects and ready action

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
1) How does attacking an object work? Specifically, if my character were to target an unattended crossbow with an Eldritch Blast. Is there still object hit points and hardness and all that in 4th? What defense DC would I have to hit? Is there a chance to blast it into the lava pool adjacent?

I found some stats in the DMG, and based on those I'm assuming that a crossbow is probably a small sized, intricate object... so like 5 hp? Should be easy enough to obliterate, especially with Fire damage (assuming it's mostly wooden and/or otherwise flammable).

1a.) Similarly, were my gladiator to move to the square in which the crossbow rests, what action would be required to kick it into say some lava nearby?

2) Can one make a conditional Readied action if one spells out exactly what those conditions are? Such a: if he does X do A; if Y do B. Nothing in the rules says I can't do this.
2) Can one make a conditional Readied action if one spells out exactly what those conditions are? Such a: if he does X do A; if Y do B. Nothing in the rules says I can't do this.

The rules don't work like that. They also don't say a player can't say "I'm Invincible!" and make himself invincible. You have to ready one specific action on one fairly specific trigger.
1) DMG 65 has information for damaging objects. It is up to the DM whether an object can be damaged or not to begin with.

1a) I would make it a standard action to kick it into lava... or a minor action, a move action, and a free action to pick it up, move, and drop it into the lava.

2)PH 291:
[INDENT]READY AN ACTION: STANDARD ACTION
✦ Choose Action to Ready: Choose the specific
action
you are readying (what attack you plan to use,
for example) as well as your intended target.[/INDENT]

If you wanted an option, you would have to spend two standard actions to ready an action... and then you would only be able to take one of them (as it is an Immediate action).
Sign In to post comments