Crit on Area/Blast/Burst/Breath

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay. So you use the same damage roll for stuff like a fireball or a Dragon's breath, right? How do you deal with that when one of the attacks is a Crit? Do you max for that one and just roll the damage for the others who are also effected?
Every target gets hit by a separate attack.

If one of those attacks is a crit, that target takes critical damage and effects.

If one of those attacks is a hit, that target takes hit damage and effects.

If one of those attacks is a miss, that target takes miss damage and effects.
Every target gets hit by a separate attack.

If one of those attacks is a crit, that target takes critical damage and effects.

If one of those attacks is a hit, that target takes hit damage and effects.

If one of those attacks is a miss, that target takes miss damage and effects.

Perfect. That's how I was ruling, but I just wanted to make sure.
You only roll for damage once per attack, but this doesn't mean every creature takes the same damage.

Some may take none (because it missed)
Some may take half of rolled damage (because it missed)
Some may take what was rolled (normal hit)
Some may take max damage + additional dice (critical)
Some may take rolled damage +X or -Y damage (due to resistances/vulnerabilities).
Strangely, with bursts and blasts, I find it easier to roll the damage first, then roll the attack rolls. So, say, you get 10 damage, then you start pointing at minis/declaring targets and saying 'hit, 10', 'hit, 10', 'crit 25' and so on so forth, rather than having to remember what attack roll you got on whom if you do all the attack rolls then the damage.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Do you max for that one and just roll the damage for the others who are also effected?

Yup.

You only roll for damage once per attack

Well, technically, you might well have to roll some extra dice for the critical (due to using a magic implement or somesuch).
Strangely, with bursts and blasts, I find it easier to roll the damage first, then roll the attack rolls. So, say, you get 10 damage, then you start pointing at minis/declaring targets and saying 'hit, 10', 'hit, 10', 'crit 25' and so on so forth, rather than having to remember what attack roll you got on whom if you do all the attack rolls then the damage.

I do exactly that. Roll full damage and any critical bonuses critical, then roll hits and declare whats happening.
I do exactly that.

Agreed. When resolving area attacks, it's so much easier when players announce damage, then start announcing who is hit or missed.

The hard part is getting them to remember to do so.

Good idea Salla. Thanx
Agreed. When resolving area attacks, it's so much easier when players announce damage, then start announcing who is hit or missed.

The hard part is getting them to remember to do so.

YMMV. I prefer my players to figure out who was hit and who was missed, and then we process whatever damage rolls are required ("You pre-rolled all the damage including crits? Pity you only hit minions.").

In either case, the important thing is not to stop the sequence attack rolls for damage rolls. Roll damage either first or last; don't stop in the middle.
YMMV. I prefer my players to figure out who was hit and who was missed, and then we process whatever damage rolls are required ("You pre-rolled all the damage including crits? Pity you only hit minions.").

In either case, the important thing is not to stop the sequence attack rolls for damage rolls. Roll damage either first or last; don't stop in the middle.

Our problem with doing the attack rolls first is, if the field is crowded, we lose track of who got hit/critted and who didn't.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Strangely, with bursts and blasts, I find it easier to roll the damage first, then roll the attack rolls.

I do the exact same thing. That way I can note the damage numbers down against each monster while the player continues rolling attack dice.

- Alane -