"Melee touch attack" in 4E?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I thought "touch attacks" were gone in 4E, but the Sky Hunter excerpt from PH2 uses the phrase "melee touch attack" in one of it's powers. This is a typo, right? Or is it some rule I'm not yet aware of?
[message deleted, because the info I provided was wrong]
A power with the range of: "Melee touch"
This is defined on page 56 of the PHB as: "A melee power that has a range of "touch" can be used against any target you can reach. (Some creatures larger than Medium size have a reach of more than 1 square.)"
Contrary to popular belief, melee touch powers in 4E do not necessarily have to be vs Reflex.

For the purpose of that power, if you are a medium creature and therefore turn into an eagle of medium size, your reach is 1 square.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Crimson has it right; A touch attack in 4e is a power with the range of Melee Touch; which basically means any creature you can reach with an unarmed attack.
Thanks for the info, Crimson!

- Alane -
The answer you were looking for has been provided, but an aditional thought;

The concept of 3.5 melee touch attacks (and ranged touch attacks) still sort of exists, these are attacks vs reflex in 4e (which inherently ignore armour)

It'd be interesting to see feats or pp features that give bonuses to melee powers that target reflex.
From what ive read there is no longer any inherent benifit to Touch attacks any more. This is most evident in the monk. almost everything targets the ref or fort of a creature now. and items can now off set short falls to other defences other then AC. In older editions depending on the class you played you were always screwed on at least one of your saves. in 4th ed they pretty much made your class a moot point when it comes to defences. now i can be just about any class and with a good neck and just 1 or 2 feats i can match any other classes defences. Monk and pally use to be the kings of saves, not any more.
I must say, necropost pictures contain alot of cats. The more you know.
Sign In to post comments