Duergar Growth vs. Dwarf

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
A Duergar Shock Trooper (from Thunderspire Labyrinth) has a power:

Expand (when first bloodied; encounter) * Polymorph
The duergar shock trooper becomes Large, occupying 4 squares instead of 1. Any creature in the squares that the shock trooper comes to occupy are pushed 1 square. The shock trooper also gains reach 2 and a +5 bonus to its melee damage rolls. The shock trooper remains Large until the end of the encounter.

What if an expanding duergar is next to a dwarf? Now, I can see that the dwarf resists the push, but now I have 2 creatures occupying 1 square, illegally.

Easy way out, the duergar gets pushed back.

Suppose the duergar is between a dwarf and a wall.

OR, suppose 2 dwarves are flanking a duergar when it expands.... then what?

I thought there was some rule that explains what to do in case creatures end up in illegal spaces, but I can't find it. Maybe I'm thinking about the "Standing Up" rule, or maybe I'm thinking 3rd edition...
They're all just squeezing in the same space unless the dwarf chooses to move (which would probably be the better idea). That'd be my first reaction.
i think precedence would apply to the duergar for a few reasons. First and foremost is the PnP ground rule of the specific supersedes the general, in this case the specific instance of the duergar polymorphing itself would supersede the general rule of dwarves being resistant to forced movement

and secondly, try to look at the situation rationally. Is there no creature strong enough to open a door with a dwarf on the other side? clearly the rule was not meant to be a blanket effect that threw a wrench in the game's operation, and if it should ever provide a situation like the one you are in, negate the dwarven ability (or tell the player he was moved 2 squares, and let it move down to 1)
A Duergar Shock Trooper (from Thunderspire Labyrinth) has a power:

Expand (when first bloodied; encounter) * Polymorph
The duergar shock trooper becomes Large, occupying 4 squares instead of 1. Any creature in the squares that the shock trooper comes to occupy are pushed 1 square. The shock trooper also gains reach 2 and a +5 bonus to its melee damage rolls. The shock trooper remains Large until the end of the encounter.

What if an expanding duergar is next to a dwarf? Now, I can see that the dwarf resists the push, but now I have 2 creatures occupying 1 square, illegally.

Easy way out, the duergar gets pushed back.

Suppose the duergar is between a dwarf and a wall.

OR, suppose 2 dwarves are flanking a duergar when it expands.... then what?

I thought there was some rule that explains what to do in case creatures end up in illegal spaces, but I can't find it. Maybe I'm thinking about the "Standing Up" rule, or maybe I'm thinking 3rd edition...

The common sense solution here would seem to be that the duergar can't expand unless it will end up in 4 legal spaces once it does so. The other option is to allow the duergar to expand as long as it then moves to a legal space immediately. I am inclined to rule for the former, as it's within what passes for RAW on this, and rewards the PCs for smart tactical moves that keep the enemy boxed into a space it can't expand into.

The rules for occupying the space of a prone ally allow the ally to shift 1 square before standing as part of the 'Stand Up' action.

-Lefty
Jim Crocker, Managing Partner Modern Myths, LLC Northampton, MA www.modern-myths.com
They're all just squeezing in the same space unless the dwarf chooses to move (which would probably be the better idea). That'd be my first reaction.

^ this
Lefty brought up the rule I was thinking of. You get to shift a square when standing up to avoid prone allies from illegally occupying the same squares. This is not a case of anyone being prone but the practice remains the same.

I'm a fan of either saying the polymorphed duegar "pops out" from between them, or he is now squeezing until he moves from between them.

I'd like to see what CS says about this just because this is the kind of thing they are there for.
I force my dwarves out of the way when it would otherwise cause two creatures in the same square. It isn't specifically defined in the rules, so the party decided that it would be simplest to just move out of the way. Of course, I also let my players decide which square adjacent to their character they are being pushed into, so we end up with a few instant flanking situations now and then.
i think precedence would apply to the duergar for a few reasons. First and foremost is the PnP ground rule of the specific supersedes the general, in this case the specific instance of the duergar polymorphing itself would supersede the general rule of dwarves being resistant to forced movement

I think you have this backwards. The general rule is the Duergar first becomes bloodied, and that triggers a push power. The specific rule would be the Dwarf resists 1 square of push. The general rule is for all races, except Dwarf.

I'd say the Duergar would be forced to take up 4 squares adjacent to the Dwarf. If he's beside a wall, he's squeezed. How would you rule it if they grew while in a 1 square wide hallway? Because of the sturdy wall-like nature of Dwarves, they act as an obstruction.

Now, since Duergar should know Dwarves can't be pushed, they would, if possible, move to prevent this from happening.
They're all just squeezing in the same space

QFT
We had this same problem pop up this last weekend, duergar shock trooper getting bloodied whilst adjacent to two dwarves. The DM just ruled the duargar shifted instead as he grew.

Any official word on this? I notice the last post was two years ago.
visit my blog about writing, voice-over,and games (and not necessarily in that order) at mdarinyoung.wordpress.com
Any official word on this?

It's likely that the original writer simply didn't consider opponents that were resistant to forced movement. The more recent paradigm is for such powers to push to a square that is adjacent to the expanding creature. Example from Earth Drake:
"It pushes each creature within its new space to the nearest unoccupied square adjacent to the drake’s new space."

I notice the last post was two years ago.

Arr... here there be Necromancers.

Polymorph has rules for failure. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Polymorph has rules for failure. 

Thanks for the tip:
"If a polymorph effect makes you too large to fit in the available space, the effect fails against you, but you are stunned (save ends). For example, if you are crawling through a narrow tunnel and a polymorph effect tries to turn you into a creature that is too large for the tunnel, the effect fails, but you are stunned until you save."

So then would this apply to creatures being nearby? If so, this would provide the needed answer (since the Dueger expand power has the polymorph keyword)... which would put Dueger at a significant disadvantage when fighting dwarves.
Sign In to post comments