Retraining Powers

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
The PHB says that when you retrain a power you can retrain it for a power of the same level or lower.(PHB Pg. 28)

If you retrain a power for one of a lower level can you retrain it back up again and where does it say you can? If you retrain a power to a lower level have you arguably permanently crippled yourself?
The PHB says that when you retrain a power you can retrain it for a power of the same level or lower.(PHB Pg. 28)

If you retrain a power for one of a lower level can you retrain it back up again and where does it say you can? If you retrain a power to a lower level have you arguably permanently crippled yourself?

The general agreement is that the RAI is that you may choose a power of the intended level for that slot or lower each time you retrain it. In other words, if you choose a 1st level daily attack power at 5th level, you can later retrain it back to a 5th level daily attack power. You could not, however, retrain that slot to be a 9th level daily attack power, even if you had chosen a 5th (or 1st) level daily attack power in place of your 9th level one.
The whole idea with retraining was to prevent you from accidentally screwing yourself over or getting stuck with choices you didn't like. I think as intended the rules won't hold you to a lower level power than you otherwise are entitled to.

Taken literally it is a bit muddled.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19670890/Keep_on_the_Shadowfell_Character_Errata
I don't have a link, but I remember a CS response also supporting the above.