Jumping, Athletics, and Rogues

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've read a few Rogue handbook threads here and they all make reference to using the Athletics jump to increase movement.

Jump is listed as part of a move action, so you can move a couple squares and jump.

Now, the description for jump mentions that it counts as movement. However many squares you jump counts towards your total square movement for that turn, and that can't exceed your Speed. If you do end up jumping more squares than your speed, you fall. Presumably, that means you fall prone if it's not a dangerous drop. But I'm not sure on that. So that's my first question. But this is a good way to stop players demanding a jump check on the last space of their movement and adding another five squares.

With some Rogue abilities, you can exceed your speed when you Jump. Now, those abilities are listed as Move Actions, so my interpretation is that you need to use the entire Move Action to use them. Great Leap for instance. It seems that it removes the penalty for not having a running start, and allows you to jump further than your speed if your athletics check is just that great, but it doesn't seem like you'd be able to use this as part of a move action. You couldn't move four squares and then jump 7 with this, unless you sacrificed your Standard Action in favor of a second Move Action of course. Do I have that right, or am I missing something?

Some of the Rogue guides out there (for which I don't have links on hand) seem to imply that you could just move three squares, use Great Leap to get a big jump ahead, then move the remaining squares you have left over from your Speed and somehow Great Leap is just a Free Action that vastly increases your mobility. That seems absolutely wrong to me. Am I right? Am I misinterpreting what they meant? Is there a common tactic that sounds like this that is more legitimately explained?

Thanks in advance.
Some of the Rogue guides out there (for which I don't have links on hand) seem to imply that you could just move three squares, use Great Leap to get a big jump ahead, then move the remaining squares you have left over from your Speed and somehow Great Leap is just a Free Action that vastly increases your mobility. That seems absolutely wrong to me. Am I right? Am I misinterpreting what they meant? Is there a common tactic that sounds like this that is more legitimately explained?

Thanks in advance.

Yes you are right, and no you aren't they are wrong if they say that.
With a regular athletics check, you can't jump further than your remaining speed. Unfortunately, the rules are written with the assumption that you're jumping over a chasm of some kind, but that's what they're trying to say.
Sign In to post comments