delay action to prevent activation damage?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
the other day i was playing my character a Warlord, the situation arises and i got close to a enemy wizard that was maintaining a killing cloud over me (a spell that is and area when you activate receive some damage), i was 3 HP close to fall and i was the first at activating...

I decided to DELAY ACTION and her turn was next, she take the area damage and dies and the cloud automatically disapears, i survived.. but a question arises...

what happens if the master decides that the wizard wants to delay action too? who must activate first? can the round go out without acting???

i seem a little confusing...thanks in advance friends :D
PHB p.288
Yes the DM can delay too, and the round could pass without any actions.
Once a delayed turn runs out you return to your initiative order as rolled previously.

What exactly happened in your example is a bit confusing though, so I'm not sure if these rules apply properly.
I am White/Green
i was 3 HP close to fall and i was the first at activating...

I decided to DELAY ACTION

Delaying your action would not delay the damage to you that round. Cloudkill does it's damage at the start of your turn, and the PHB p.288 says:
"At the moment you delay, carry out the start of your turn normally."

Damage on subsequent rounds could be delayed though (since the start of your turn now comes later).

the DM can delay too, and the round could pass without any actions.

They would still both take damage though (i.e. since you cannot delay without first starting your turn).
so ongoing and activation damages takes place even if you delay your action, good.

thanks a lot friends

what happen then if both have the very same initiative score? which one takes place? by dexterity difference?
The one with the highst initiative bonus (dex mod + 1/2 level + misc bonuses) is the one who goes first. In case of a tie there, flip a coin, or DM decides (I usually would decide in the player's favour).
The one with the highst initiative bonus (dex mod + 1/2 level + misc bonuses) is the one who goes first. In case of a tie there, flip a coin

Yup. PHB p.267:
"When combatants have the same initiative, the combatant
with the higher initiative bonus (the total of
one-half your level, your Dexterity modifier, and any
bonuses) goes before the other. If their bonuses are the
same, they can roll a die or flip a coin to break the tie."
Note that in the case of two PC sharing the same initiative value, they essentially get to choose, because the one who technically gets to go first can always just delay his first action until just after the second one.
Note that in the case of two PC sharing the same initiative value, they essentially get to choose, because the one who technically gets to go first can always just delay his first action until just after the second one.

This also would for any PC's regardless of their initiative score, provided there are no enemy initiatives in between them.
Sign In to post comments