Hunter's Quarry, Sneak Attack, and the Critical Hit

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Last night during play, the ranger rolled a crit and wanted to deal max. damage on her hunter's quarry die. The rules seemed a bit vague, and the group was fairly neutral (and the only fight we were doing that night was against a solo) so I made a call and we adopted a general policy on such things, but I wanted to check if there was an official reponse or ongoing discussion of such bonus dice and critical hits.
All damage dice are maximized on a crit, except for dice that are only rolled on a crit.
All damage dice are maximized on a crit, except for dice that are only rolled on a crit.

Dido.
This is a verbose way of stating it, but it's the natural mental image you need to conjure up when it comes to criticals:

When a player rolls a successful critical hit,
pretend for a moment, that it was a non-critical hit.
Take all the damage dice he would roll, and put them in your hand.
Turn every single of of those dice to their max value.
That's how much damage the character does,
plus other static bonuses, like strength and weapon focus.

Remember: Non-crit dice, though rare, do not get maximized. For exmple, a +1 magic weapon deals +1d6 damage on a critical. Using the example above, this extra die would not be rolled on a non-crit, so don't maximize it.
Last night during play, the ranger rolled a crit and wanted to deal max. damage on her hunter's quarry die. The rules seemed a bit vague, and the group was fairly neutral (and the only fight we were doing that night was against a solo) so I made a call and we adopted a general policy on such things, but I wanted to check if there was an official reponse or ongoing discussion of such bonus dice and critical hits.

Page 278 PH says what is not maximized:

"Magic weapons and implements, as well as high crit weapons, can increase the damage you deal when you score a critical hit. If this extra damage is a die roll, it’s not automatically maximum damage; you add the result of the roll."

Hunter's quarry is neither a magic weapon, nor a high crit weapon. Therefore, it is maximized.

TBP
Confirmed by Mike Mearls of WOTC on twitter:

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/2134206722

Within the space of a half hour, you necroed two threads on this topic on enworld and this one here, all 4 years old, to provide an "update" confirming the answer the threads had already reached, again, 4 years ago.  As I can't see how anyone could accidentally search for sneak attack threads on two websites and not notice that they're 4 years old before posting, I'll just say please stop.
Especially since "update" is a 3+ year old twitter post.

That depends on when you got that email.  If it was recent and you got it from Customer Service, your problem is that Customer Service is usually wrong about the rules of their own game.  That seems crazy, but if you look around the forums you can find places were we have tested CS on simple rules things and they have given the wrong answer to the question, often in several interesting and self-contradictory ways, many more times than they give the right answer.

That being said lets actually check this bit here out:

Maximum Damage: When an attack scores a critical hit against a target, the target takes the maximum damage possible from the attack. Don’t make a damage roll. Instead, the target takes damage as if the maximum result had been rolled for damage. However, attacks that don’t deal damage still don’t deal damage on a critical hit.

Extra Damage: Magic weapons and implements, as well as high crit weapons, can increase the damage dealt on a critical hit by contributing extra damage. If this extra damage is a die roll, it is not automatically maximum damage; roll the specified dice and add the result to the critical hit’s damage.
    Example: Dendric the fighter is wielding a magic longsword that deals 1d8 extra damage on a critical hit. His player rolls a d8 and adds the result to the damage Dendric deals on a critical hit with the longsword.

R.C. 216

What that is saying is that all damage rolls that you roll on a hit (sneak attack, quarry, etc included) are maximized when you critically hit.  The only rolls that are not maximized are things that are rolls triggered by critically hitting specifically such as high crit weapons and the critical properties of magic weapons.

Sorry, but the earlier answer of "yes they are maximised" is correct.

Quoted content has been removed by Orc_Lolth.

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

For further fun you can also look at the official FAQ which states the following:

Which dice do I maximize when scoring a critical hit?

Only the dice you would normally roll to calculate damage are maximized.  If another bonus (like from a weapon or feat) causes you to roll extra damage dice when scoring a critical hit, those dice are rolled as normal.

Sneak Attak are dice you normally roll to calculate damage, so you are still good to go there.  If it would make you feel better I could phrase things a certain way and get a CS response that I could add to the list of things saying that it is maximised.

Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

It should also be noted that a roll of a natural 20 is not automatically a critical hit.  If the attack roll total is not high enough to meet the defense you are attacking it is an automatic hit, but not a critical hit.

For example a blinded creature suffering from the fighter's Glowering Threat decides to attack the adjacent Sorcerer's Will.  The creature is at a -12 to the attack roll and has a base attack bonus of +8.  The creature rolls a natural 20 (for a total of 16 vs Will).  The Sorcerer's Will is 18 so the attack does hit, but is not a critical hit.  Since the attack was a hit and not a crit the creature rolls for damage normally.

Edit: Just for fun it is also a critical rule that if you have an expanded crit range (for instance if the above monster crit on a 19-20) you can have a crit that misses.  If the creature rolled a 19 instead his total would be 15 against the sorcerer's 18 will, so it would miss instead of critically hit.

Quoted content has been removed: Orc_Lolth

Show

I'’ve removed content from this thread because of a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: http://www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_company_about_codeofconduct

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

"Lolth be praised; all victory is her doing."

ORC_Lolth just used their powers for good.  You are a disgrace to your people and to the spider queen herself.  You shall die the death of a thousand poisons.

(OOC: You rock for helping slow the rampant tide of misinformation.  I don't know who brought your attention to this, but whoever you are watch out for the spider queen is ever treacherous)

Show
Sign In to post comments