Regeneration - for how long?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm certainly this must have been asked already, but I couldn't find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Regeneration. It's basically healing a specified number of hit points per round. When does it stop?

For example, the fighter power boundless endurance says "You gain regeneration 2 + your Constitution modifier when you are bloodied." It's also a power with the Stance keyword, for which it states on page 55 of the PHP that "A stance power lasts until the end of the encounter, for 5 minutes, or until you use another stance power."

So...you can become fully healed with this power if the fight goes on long enough and you're not taking more damage or you don't use another stance power? (Which would of course be metagaming.)

I haven't seen this played out yet, but I can imagine some fighters wanting battle to take longer, because once the encounter's over, the healing stops.

Is there some other limitation of regeneration I'm missing?

Jeff LaSala / freelancer jefflasala.com

Wizards of the Coast:

The Darkwood Mask (The Inquisitives, Eberron)

DDI ("History Check: The Tarrasque," "History Check: Corellon and Gruumsh," "D&D Love Stories," "Faith & Heresy," etc.)

Blindsided Books:

Foreshadows: The Ghosts of Zero

You cited it yourself, 5 minutes is the max length of time. At least for Boundless Endurance. Few, if any, powers have an effect that lasts longer.
The Bruce Campbell of D&D.
PHB 293, Regeneration.

With Boundless Endurance, you have regeneration while you are bloodied. As soon as you are not bloodied, you don't have regeneration. Per PHB 293, when at 0hp or less, regeneration doesn't do anything.
You can't fully heal with Boundless Endurance because it is only active while you are bloodied - less than half your max HP.
Wow. 5 minutes is a lot of hit points healed. Good deal for the fighter.

With Boundless Endurance, you have regeneration while you are bloodied. As soon as you are not bloodied, you don't have regeneration.

See, that makes sense, but where does it say this? The description of regeneration, or the power, says nothing about regeneration stopping when you're no longer bloodied. As written, it seems like if you're bloodied and you use this power, you can heal to your max in short order (as long as the battle endures and you're not getting hit still).

Wizards of the Coast:

DDI ("History Check: The Tarrasque," "History Check: Corellon and Gruumsh," "D&D Love Stories," "Faith & Heresy," etc.)

Blindsided Books:

Effect: You gain regeneration 2 + your Constitution modifier when you are bloodied.

It works when you are bloodied. When you are not, it stops.
Its a when/while ambiguity, I can see how you could've read it that way, Ashlock. Personally I think the "it works when you are bloodied and stops when you are not bloodied and restarts when you're bloodied" is the intended read.

Either way you want to interpret it, its only a Daily ability though and you can't use any other stances afterward if you want to prolong the effect.
"At a certain point, one simply has to accept that some folks will see what they want to see..." Dragon 387
Effect: You gain regeneration 2 + your Constitution modifier when you are bloodied.

Okay, so we're just reading this differently. I'm reading this very literally, thinking that being bloodied is just the trigger for regeneration. But youy guys are saying that no longer being bloodied actually ends the effect (which you're suggesting the description implies).

You guys are probably right; that makes the most sense. I just don't like the wording of it.

Wizards of the Coast:

Blindsided Books:

We have been playing it that it works until you aren't bloodied, then it stops. It does not restart if you happen to drop back down into bloodied again.
I appreciate the info, guys.

So once you use this power, does that mean, for the rest of the encounter (or 5 minutes), that if you're bloodied, you heal until you're not bloodied? Or does the first time you become "unbloodied" again the regeneration stops?

Example: If you've got 40 max hit points, and you use this power. Then someone hits you down to 18 hit points (past the bloodied mark of 20), so regeneration kicks in. So let's say you heal 4 points. Now you're at 22. Does the boundless endurance power end for good? Or does the next time you get knocked down under 21 again, you'll regenerate.

Know what I mean?

Wizards of the Coast:

Blindsided Books:

Since a Stance lasts until the end of the encounter, I imagine it would kick back in each time you get bloodied.
The Bruce Campbell of D&D.
The stance power lasts the entire encounter ( approximately 5 minutes ). You gain the regeneration when you are bloodied during the power's duration.
I imagine

Yeah, that's the trick, isn't it? ;) Wish these things were clearer. This is the instance where the designers understood the intent so they didn't feel they needed to be any clearer in the wording.

Wizards of the Coast:

Blindsided Books:

It will restart. It's a stance which is a continuous effect. The effect in this case has a trigger condition which turns it on and off.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
My fighter player will be thrilled with this.
In my opinion, as long as you are using the stance and meet the condition (bloodied) on the start of your turn, you regenerate 2. Other factors that limit, boost or disable regeneration apply as normal.
All right, so we're all agreed that bloodied is the trigger, you only heal until you're not bloodied anymore, but while the encounter continues, becoming bloodied again kicks on the regeneration again?

Thanks, all.

Wizards of the Coast:

Blindsided Books:

Note also that the fighter can activiate this power before he becomes bloodied.
Limited by Maximum Hit Points: Like most forms
of healing, regeneration can’t cause your current hit
points to exceed your maximum hit points.

That is a quote out of the PHB since it says this i would think it would last 5min or till you reach max HP.
    The regeneration ability will not increase your hit points above their normal maximum. This does not mean that the regeneration ability disappears; it's just not providing any benefit during that time.

(Not that this is likely to come up with Boundless Endurance specifically, since it only provides regeneration while bloodied.)
Limited by Maximum Hit Points: Like most forms
of healing, regeneration can’t cause your current hit
points to exceed your maximum hit points.

That is a quote out of the PHB since it says this i would think it would last 5min or till you reach max HP.

Wow, zombie thread.

The regeneration effect from Boundless endurance lasts as long as the stance is active, but you only regenerate if you are bloodied at the start of your turn.  Note that because you can choose the order of effects on your turn, if you are 3 above bloodied, and have ongoing 5 damage from some source, you can take the 5 ongoing damage to drop below your bloodied value, and then regenerate. 

Most powers that grant regeration to PCs (Troll Rampage, Longtooth shifting, Divine Power, Spirit of the Healing Flood, etc) only give regeneration while bloodied, especially the encounter powers, mostly to force PCs to spend at least some healing surges to get back to full.  However, the regeneration effect does not go away simply because you stop being bloodied, unless the power specifically states that you lose the effect in that case.  The only power I know of with that limitation is Burgeoning Reserves, where you actually do sustain minors to grant an ally regeneration 5, but you can't sustain if they are no longer bloodied.
  If an ally heals you to full HP and you gain tempoary HP on top of that, your regeneration continues to exist, it simply doesn't actually heal you at the start of your turn because you're already at max HP or no longer bloodied (depending on the exact effect).

For powers like Boundless Endurance and Longtooth Shifting, if you are no longer bloodied, you won't regenerate HP; the same as how regeneration effects don't end when you are at or below 0 hp, but you also don't regenerate any hp while dying.  Once you're bloodied again at the start of your turn, the regeneration occurs.