Take your mount with you?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just curious about Mounted Combat. If you're playing a character capable of teleportation, such as a warlock or an eladrin, what happens if you're on a mount?
Common thoughts about teleportation are that you can only teleport what you can carry. And unless you're a freak, you probably can't carry a horse (or horse-like animal).
Well carrying what you can carry is OK as long as what you are carrying isn't a creature. Otherwise teleportation effects specify how many creatures can be moved.

An Eladrin on a horse would wind up not on a horse -- unless you invent a magic item like a special saddle which allows it to go with you.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19670890/Keep_on_the_Shadowfell_Character_Errata
Common thoughts about teleportation are that you can only teleport what you can carry. And unless you're a freak, you probably can't carry a horse (or horse-like animal).

By that logic, you could have the teleport effect target the mount that is carrying you. :D
Except most in-combat teleportation effects are personal, meaning you can only target yourself.
An Eladrin on a horse would wind up not on a horse -- unless you invent a magic item like a special saddle which allows it to go with you.

I like this idea. Do i hear lvl 5 item??
It's a bad idea to have teleportation work on other creatures besides the one using the power. Neat and balanced don't always go hand in hand.
If they make that saddle, then my eladrin WILL be putting it on our dwarf warrior.
If they make that saddle, then my eladrin WILL be putting it on our dwarf warrior.

:heehee That's the funniest thing i've ever heard on these forums!

But seriously, just make it so that it only works on critters that can qualify for the Mount keyword. I.e. quadrupeds of size Large and Larger and it'll take care of that exploit.
You could also create a special mount for Eladrin that allows this. Or a feat that allows an Eladrin to convey the ability to his mount instead of himself. I'd suggest the mount be gained through extensive role playing and not gained until Paragon or Epic levels, likewise the feat should fall into one of those categories.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

You could also create a special mount for Eladrin that allows this. Or a feat that allows an Eladrin to convey the ability to his mount instead of himself. I'd suggest the mount be gained through extensive role playing and not gained until Paragon or Epic levels, likewise the feat should fall into one of those categories.

Some special fairy horse could be neat, yeah.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19670890/Keep_on_the_Shadowfell_Character_Errata
Some special fairy horse could be neat, yeah.

Unicorns already have the Fey Step ability as a racial power. Though it doesn't specify if a [rider] would be taken along. I imagine it would.
Unicorns already have the Fey Step ability as a racial power. Though it doesn't specify if a mount would be taken along. I imagine it would.

Do you mean that if an eladrin had a unicorn mount, they could teleport together? Or something else?
In soviet feywild, mount teleports you!
Do you mean that if an eladrin had a unicorn mount, they could teleport together? Or something else?

I mean that Unicorns have the Fey Step Encounter ability that works the same way as it does for Eladrin (teleport 5 Squares as a Move action). I guess i should have said "rider" in the last post.
Ahhh. That makes a lot more sense to me now. I wasn't sure if you had meant something different or if it was a switch up of the words mount and rider.

There is one important difference between the Fey Step for Unicorns and Eladrin. The keyword personal is missing.

For an Eladrin, I don't see it being correct for them to bring another being with them. For a Unicorn it makes sense due to the lack of the personal keyword.
Well there ya go, it's already built in.

And if you don't like the whole unicorn bit just cut off the horn and call it a fey horse.

Well there ya go, it's already built in.

And if you don't like the whole unicorn bit just cut off the horn and call it a fey horse.

Go ahead and do that, but I think you would then have a dead fey horse ;)
Go ahead and do that, but I think you would then have a dead fey horse ;)

Hahahaha I think you know what I meant by that.

Sign In to post comments