Polearm Gamble and Forced Movement

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Q: Does Polearm Gamble trigger if an enemy is forced to move next to you.

Argument for yes: PG provides an alternate method for using OA's outside of the normal rules already, and using the "specific trumps general" ruling idea, and PG has no clause involving forced movement, it would seem that the combo should work.

Argument for no: The rules say no OA's are provoked by forced movement, and this was meant to include PG and/or it would be an unintended side effect to allow this to function like this.

Personally, I'm in the camp for yes, it seems that the "specific trumps general" applies here.
Q: Does Polearm Gamble trigger if an enemy is forced to move next to you.

Argument for yes: PG provides an alternate method for using OA's outside of the normal rules already, and using the "specific trumps general" ruling idea, and PG has no clause involving forced movement, it would seem that the combo should work.

Argument for no: The rules say no OA's are provoked by forced movement, and this was meant to include PG and/or it would be an unintended side effect to allow this to function like this.

Personally, I'm in the camp for yes, it seems that the "specific trumps general" applies here.

The rules for forced movement specifically say that it doesn't trigger oportunity actions.

You're taking the specific beats general rule far too liberally. The specific rule has to have text stating it ignores the general rule. Since polarm gamble does not say "this opportunity attack may be made even if they enter the square via forced movement", it can't.
The rules for forced movement specifically say that it doesn't trigger oportunity actions.

You're taking the specific beats general rule far too liberally. The specific rule has to have text stating it ignores the general rule. Since polarm gamble does not say "this opportunity attack may be made even if they enter the square via forced movement", it can't.

Technically, that's not what the rule says, which is why I'm asking:

Moving Provokes: If an enemy leaves a square adjacent to you, you can make an opportunity attack against that opponent. However, you can't make one if the enemy shifts or teleports, or is forced to move away by a push, a pull, or a slide.

Emphasis mine. The rule specifically prevents forced movement away from provoking. In the case of PG, it's movement into a square, not out of one, which already breaks the normal rules for OA's. Thus I'm looking for a ruling here. RAW it actually seems to work. Whether or not that is intended is another matter.
Technically, that's not what the rule says, which is why I'm asking:

Emphasis mine. The rule specifically prevents forced movement away from provoking. In the case of PG, it's movement into a square, not out of one, which already breaks the normal rules for OA's. Thus I'm looking for a ruling here. RAW it actually seems to work. Whether or not that is intended is another matter.

No opportunity Attacks: Forced movement does not provoke opportunity attacks or other opportunity actions.

The text you quoted is completely irrelevant. Forced movement does not provoke any opportunity actions.

E: To clarify, the text you quoted isn't completely irrelevant to the situation. It states a specific situation in which you get opportunity attacks.
Polarm gamble is a specific rule that allows you to make an opportunity attack outside the general sitaution.
It does not however have any specific ruling allowing you to ignore the general rule of forced movement not allowing opportunity attacks.