Loosing/Equiping a Shield

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are their any rules for loosing/equiping a shield in combat?
I couldnt find any...
Are their any rules for loosing/equiping a shield in combat?

Page 289: "Equip or stow a shield" is a standard action.

- Alane -
[deleted]
Page 289: "Equip or stow a shield" is a standard action.

- Alane -

wow, cant believe i missed that.
Thanks man!
That's harsh.

I didn't realize that either. I figured it would be a minor, same as drawing or sheathing a weapon.
A shield is usually straped to the arm so is clunkier to remove.
Ok, I can buy that.

A question though...

If a PC wants to get out a potion and drink it, but is carrying a shield and a weapon, what is the proper course of actions? Is it just a minor to get out the potion and a minor to drink it? Or does he have to put the weapon or shield away first?
If it is a light shield, he just needs to do the minor to get it out and a minor to drink it (going by a light shield allows you to hold objects in that hand). A heavy shield does not let you do anything else with that hand, so you would have to get rid of the weapon or shield.

Note that you can drop the weapon as a free action, do the 2 minors to drink the potion, then pick up the weapon as a minor, so you can drink a potion and still have shield and sword in hand at the end of your round.
As an aside, I tend to let my players, if they so choose, cut straps on their shields (if they're wielding an edged weapon) as a minor action. Realy, it only applies to the paladin in my group, who does this so he can swing his Bastard sword with two hands when he wants to "Bring the Pain".
As an aside, I tend to let my players, if they so choose, cut straps on their shields (if they're wielding an edged weapon) as a minor action. Realy, it only applies to the paladin in my group, who does this so he can swing his Bastard sword with two hands when he wants to "Bring the Pain".

Readying or Stowing a shield being a standard action represents unhooking from your pack, manuevering it with both hands so that it's on your arm properly, and then tightening the strap to keep it secure. or the reverse.

I see no reason not to allow loosening the strap and dropping the shield as a free action just like dropping everything else is.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

If it is a light shield, he just needs to do the minor to get it out and a minor to drink it (going by a light shield allows you to hold objects in that hand). A heavy shield does not let you do anything else with that hand, so you would have to get rid of the weapon or shield.

Note that you can drop the weapon as a free action, do the 2 minors to drink the potion, then pick up the weapon as a minor, so you can drink a potion and still have shield and sword in hand at the end of your round.

This can also be done as a single minor if you have quick draw.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

Readying or Stowing a shield being a standard action represents unhooking from your pack, manuevering it with both hands so that it's on your arm properly, and then tightening the strap to keep it secure. or the reverse.

I see no reason not to allow loosening the strap and dropping the shield as a free action just like dropping everything else is.

It's a standard to "stow your shield" couldn't he just "drop" it?

I tend to require a bit more cost for an action that involves more than just "opening your hand" to drop something.

The player is the one who cuts his straps, for dramatic flair.
I tend to require a bit more cost for an action that involves more than just "opening your hand" to drop something.

The player is the one who cuts his straps, for dramatic flair.

So you just told him he can do it for a minor action and he decided he'd do it by cutting the straps?

So you just told him he can do it for a minor action and he decided he'd do it by cutting the straps?

No, it was more along the lines of this:

Player: "I want to be rid of my shield so I can wield my nastard sword two handed"

Me: "Unequipping a shield is a standard action."

Player: "That's no good, my character wants to attack now. Why does it take a standard?"

Me: "I assume because its firmly strapped to your arm."

Player: "Oh, well, my character would definitely cut the straps and deal with it later."

Me: "Righto. That's just a minor action."

Player: *cuts straps* " Let's BRING THE PAIN!"
Sign In to post comments