Consolidated Customer Service Answers

861 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sadly, "It is meant to be interpreted as" is not the same thing as "it says". CS needs to be more vigilant about this distinction....

Except that what the CSR said is right; the developers almost certainly did not intend to allow basic attack powers to be swapped out. I wouldn't be surprised if this oversight in the wording of the power swap rules and/or basic attack powers is corrected in a future errata.

So it's not as if what the CSR said was wrong and he has to be more vigilant about what he said. His answer was accurate.
It was accurate, but not actually based on the RAW. If the RAW isn't what's intended, they should release errata.
From Charles:

Q: Does the enhancement bonus from a magic weapon add to the damage flaming sphere does each round?

A: The enhancement bonus on your implements do not apply to damage dealt by conjurations, as those conjurations are dealing damage, and not you directly.

Q: Since you do not add implement bonuses to conjurations, does this mean you do not get your implement bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls you make in the "Hit" section of spells like Flaming Sphere and Bigby's Icy Grasp, or does this only mean you do not add the damage bonus to the damage rolls found in the "Effect" section?

A: On the turn the conjuration is summoned you will add your implement's enhancement bonuses to attack and damage rolls for these powers. However, once they are sustained you will no longer apply those bonuses.

Q: This contradicts the answer I was given a few days ago, is this meant to be a revision to that answer?

A: The answer I gave in that incident is still correct, this is a revision to it, however. You only get the enhancement bonus when the power is initially used. Once it's being sustained, it will not receive the bonus.

Edit: More news:

Q: And to be clear, this applies to all powers that are sustained?

A: Yes, that is correct.

Can we unsticky this thread please?

CustServ answers aren't official and are frequently wrong. No need to propagate misinformation that is frequently misrepresented as official.
Can we unsticky this thread please?

No.
No.

That's fine I'll just report it daily requesting they unsticky it.

Sounds reasonable.

Custserv is the official resource for rules questions. Just because you have an issue with some of the answers doesn't invalidate this as a valuable resource. I expect that you might find your account suspended for a day or two if you insist on spamming the moderators so I would advise against it.

Even if you chose to completely ignore custserv why should having this thread stickied offend you? I would think custserv would appreciate people reading their previous ruling so they don't have to continually re-answer the same questions quite as often.
Questions Regarding Warlock's Curse and feat dmg bonuses:

1.) PHB p.131 Warlock's Curse: line 5: "You can deal this extra damage once per round."
PHB p.131 Warlock's Curse: line 7: "You can place a Warlock's Curse on multiple targets."

Question= Is the extra damage added in once per marked target until the end of your turn, or can you only damage one enemy per turn with Warlock's Curse regardless of multiple marks? (I.E. you mark 5 enemies and then 5 are hit by dragon breath)

2.) Does implement damage (i.e. +1 magic rod) affect every roll of damage in cases such as these:

PHB p. 132 Hellish Rebuke "Hit: 1d6 + con. mod. fire damage. If you take damage before the end of your next turn, the target takes an extra d6 con. mod. fire damage."

PHB p. 133 Fiery Bolt "Hit: 3d6 + con. mod. fire damage, and creatures adjacent to the target take 1d6 + con. mod. fire damage (infernal pact: creatures adjacent to the target take extra fire damage= to your int. mod.)."

3.) Do Dragonborn Frenzy (+2 dmg bloody rolls) and Astral Fire (+1 dmg fire damage rolls) affect every roll in these situations, and do the aforementioned power bonuses to damage stack with one another?

PHB p. 132 Hellish Rebuke "Hit: 1d6 + con. mod. fire damage. If you take damage before the end of your next turn, the target takes an extra d6 con. mod. fire damage."

PHB p. 133 Fiery Bolt "Hit: 3d6 + con. mod. fire damage, and creatures adjacent to the target take 1d6 + con. mod. fire damage (infernal pact: creatures adjacent to the target take extra fire damage= to your int. mod.)."

PHB p. 34 Dragon Breath: "Hit: 1d6 + con. mod. (fire selected) damage."
To Marglar - I'm not sure if you were confused, but this thread isn't a place to post question you'd like to ask customer service. You need to submit your questions to them using the help system on the main WotC website.

Meanwhile, I think I can answer some of your questions above:

1.) PHB p.131 Warlock's Curse: line 5: "You can deal this extra damage once per round."
PHB p.131 Warlock's Curse: line 7: "You can place a Warlock's Curse on multiple targets."

Question= Is the extra damage added in once per marked target until the end of your turn, or can you only damage one enemy per turn with Warlock's Curse regardless of multiple marks? (I.E. you mark 5 enemies and then 5 are hit by dragon breath)

This question was answered in the official Player's Handbook errata file available on the main website under the Products tab. Per the errata, "if you have dealt Warlock's Curse damage since the start of your turn, you cannot deal it again until the start of your next turn." Therefore you can only damage one enemy per round with Warlock's Curse.

2.) Does implement damage (i.e. +1 magic rod) affect every roll of damage in cases such as these:

Implements allow you to add their enhancement bonus to all attack rolls and damage rolls you make using your warlock attack powers. So you would get to add your implement bonus to both of the damage rolls in Fiery Bolt. Hellish Rebuke is a little more ambiguous because it says it does "extra" damage, but my personal ruling would be that Hellish Rebuke is effectively doing two separate attacks in a row and therefore you'd get to add your implement bonus to both damage rolls (much like you'd get to add the bonus to a magic weapon twice in a row if a power gave you two free basic attacks.)

3.) Do Dragonborn Frenzy (+2 dmg bloody rolls) and Astral Fire (+1 dmg fire damage rolls) affect every roll in these situations, and do the aforementioned power bonuses to damage stack with one another?

PHB p. 34 Dragon Breath: "Hit: 1d6 + con. mod. (fire selected) damage."

The bonuses do stack because the bonus for Dragonborn Frenzy is an untyped bonus, and untyped bonuses always stack. (If Dragonborn Frenzy instead read "you gain a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls" then it wouldn't stack with other feat bonuses.)

And yes, both feats apply to all corresponding damage rolls. So if you're a bloodied dragonborn with the Dragonborn Frenzy feat and Astral Fire, you will gain a total +3 damage bonus on all your damage rolls that do fire damage.
Edit: As others have said, you don't get to apply an implement's enhancement bonus to attacks dealing fixed damage where no dice are rolled (like the secondary damage from a fighter's Cleave power, most ongoing damage, and so on).

Also, just to clarify, you don't get to add an implement's enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls unless the power being used has the Implement keyword. For example, the warlock attack power Armor of Agathys (PHB p.132) does not have the keyword. Thus, anytime you get to damage an adjacent enemy with your armor, you don't add your implement bonus, even though it's a damage roll.
...you wouldn't get to apply that enhancement bonus to attacks dealing fixed damage (like the extra damage from Fiery Bolt, the secondary damage from a fighter's Cleave power, most ongoing damage, and so on)....

Fiery Bolt doesn't do "fixed" damage, it does 3d6+Con to the main target and 1d6+Con to the secondary targets. Since those are both actual damage rolls, not fixed amounts, the implement adds to them.
Fiery Bolt doesn't do "fixed" damage, it does 3d6+Con to the main target and 1d6+Con to the secondary targets. Since those are both actual damage rolls, not fixed amounts, the implement adds to them.

You're right, and I should have looked more closely at the power. I was focusing on the Infernal Pact extra damage with Fiery Bolt.

So, to clarify, if you have the Infernal Pact version of Fiery Bolt, that extra fire damage dealt to adjacent enemies (equal to your Int modifier) is not modified by the implement's enhancement bonus. In contrast, the original 1d6 + Con modifier damage does get the bonus, as you mentioned.
You only make one saving throw versus all ongoing damage of the same damage type

This question came up in another thread. If you are simultaneously hit by multiple ongoing damage effects of the same type, you only need to make one saving throw to get rid of all of them at once. You can basically completely ignore all but the highest value ongoing damage effect of each given damage type.

Show

Question -
Let's say you're fighting poisonous monsters, and you are hit by three separate ongoing damage effects. Per p.278 you only take the highest number effect at the start of your turn and ignore the other two. But do you still keep the weaker two on your character for purposes of saving throws? In other words, do all three stay on you and you roll three separate saving throws against them at the end of your turn, and at the start of your turn you take damage from the highest one left that you haven't saved against? Or does getting hit by a new higher damage ongoing poison effect overwrite and erase any weaker ongoing poison effect that's on you, leaving you only having to make one saving throw at the end of your turn?

Page Number: p.278 Ongoing Damage
Book Name: Player's Handbook

Answer -
You make one saving throw per type of on going damage. If you have three on going damage effects of the same type, you make a save vs to highest damage effect. If you are successful, you stop all ongoing damage of that type. If you have ongoing damage of multiple types (say fire and poison) you make a separate save for each type.

Charles
Customer Service Representative
Wizards of the Coast
But what if that ongoing damage is paired with another effect like weakened, such as "Target is weakened and takes ongoing 10 damage (save ends both)". Does saving against one ongoing damage wipe out the other effects bound to all other ongoing damage effects?

If my party put ongoing 5 + weakened, ongoing 10 + dazed and ongoing 5 + slowed on a single creature and he escapes all of these by succeeding on a single saving throw, that's kinda rotten.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work. And Stay Down: The Polearm Momentum Handbook
But what if that ongoing damage is paired with another effect like weakened, such as "Target is weakened and takes ongoing 10 damage (save ends both)". Does saving against one ongoing damage wipe out the other effects bound to all other ongoing damage effects?

If my party put ongoing 5 + weakened, ongoing 10 + dazed and ongoing 5 + slowed on a single creature and he escapes all of these by succeeding on a single saving throw, that's kinda rotten.

Saving against an effect wipes out the effect entirely. So yes, it only takes one save to remove a single effect that does inflicts both 10 ongoing damage and weakened simultaneously. And if all the ongoing effects are the same type, then you only need one save to get rid of them all.

That being said, it's hard to imagine situations where you'd have something like "Ongoing 5 poison+weakness", "Ongoing 10 poison+dazed" and "Ongoing 5 poison+slowed" all in play simultaneously on the same creature. For example, there are only 3 powers in the Player's Handbook that do ongoing poison damage: Lightning Serpent, Prismatic Beams and Prismatic Spray. And of those three Prismatic Beams has no effect other than ongoing damage, and the other two powers do both damage and slow. So player characters aren't even capable in the core rules of doing the situation you described using ongoing poison damage.

Maybe there's a way to hypothetically come up with a party of characters that can do what you described, but even if it's possible it's probably so quirky as to be something you'd never see in practice.
Okay, np then.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work. And Stay Down: The Polearm Momentum Handbook
Long story short?

a) I got over-sized weapons and 2-handed weapons mixed up. A minotaur's Oversized feature does not let him hold a two-handed weapon in one hand.
b) If you get reduced to 0 HP, but immediately perform an action that heals you, you do not fall down. Thus, minotaurs with Iron Vanguard can actually avoid death if they slay their opponent before falling unconscious.

Hey there! I have a couple of D&D 4th Edition questions for you.

Question 1:
Assume:
a) A minotaur character has an ability that heals him when he kills an enemy (not temporary hit points, real hp healed, either a set amount or spending a healing surge)
b) He is attacked by an enemy and reduced to 0 HP, triggering his Ferocity race feature
c) He kills an enemy with his basic attack from Ferocity
d) He heals HP and no longer has HP 0

Part A) Does he fall unconscious, prone, or otherwise get disrupted by his HP being previously 0? He's healed back up above 0 before falling unconscious but that may not prevent him from falling prone etc.

Part B) What if killing an opponent only gives temporary HP instead of real healing? These are just a buffer overlaying your real hit points and don't actually count as HP for bloodied etc. Does he fall unconscious/prone in this case?

Question 2:
If I make a minotaur ranger who focuses on dual-wielding, can I hold a large weapon in each hand? His Oversized race feature says he can treat a large weapon as though it were a medium weapon, and his ranger dual-wield class feature says he can treat medium weapons as though they were off-hand weapons. Does the ranger feature go off of the weapon's actual size, or the size the minotaur treats it as?

So to cut to the chase, can he dual-wield two-handed weapons like halberds and spiked chains?

Thank you!

Hi Dan,

Thank you for contacting us. Before I can answer your first question, I need to know which ability or power the Minotaur will use that allows him to gain hit points when he kills an enemy. Please reference the book and page number.

To answer your second question, a Minotaur ranger cannot dual wield two handed weapons. The minotaur can use a weapon one size category larger then him, this does not give him the ability to put a two handed weapon in one hand.

Please reply with the additional information so that I can answer your first question. Thank you!

Hey there!

Thanks, it does look like I was confusing large weapons with two-handed weapons. I really wish two-handed would work for his Oversized feature for dual-wielding halberds, that would be cool. I may want to negotiate a house rule with the DM for that. :D

As for regaining HP, I found the feature I was looking for:

Iron Vanguard Path Features

Enduring Warrior (11th level): When you drop an enemy to 0 hit points or fewer, you regain hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.

So, a minotaur fighter with the Iron Vanguard path is reduced to 0 HP, triggering his racial basic attack. He then kills the enemy and gains HP equal to his con mod, so that his HP is no longer 0. Does he fall unconscious, prone, etc?

Thank you!

Hello again Dan,

Thank for your response. Here is the answer to your other question.

1) "So, a minotaur fighter with the Iron Vanguard path is reduced to 0 HP, triggering his racial basic attack. He then kills the enemy and gains HP equal to his con mod, so that his HP is no longer 0. Does he fall unconscious, prone, etc?"
-- Nothing will happen to the Minotaur in this situation. He will not fall unconscious or prone, he will just carry on as normal. I hope this information is useful.

And another question answered on the same day:

We're having an argument on the forums about charge. The vocabulary Nazi of the group insists "directly" cannot mean anything but "in a straight line" in the English language. However, if I tell my kid "go directly home" that doesn't mean he must bore his way through all obstacles in his path like houses, trees and humans, and it doesn't mean he can't go home if the straight line is blocked. He can go around and just take the a direct route.

However, all of this may not have anything to do with what the PHB is saying:

"You must move at least 2 squares from your starting position, and you must move directly to the nearest square from which you can attack the enemy. You can’t charge if the nearest square is occupied. Moving over difficult terrain costs extra squares of movement as normal."

Seems to me that if you need to turn a corner (90 degree turn) or weave slightly to go around an enemy or obstacle (45 degree turn) then you can, but others are claiming you have to have a straight line to the target because that's how 3.5 did it. 4th just says "directly", which isn't very explicit.

So, do you have to move in a straight line?

Or does each step have to be on the most efficient path possible (every step lowers your distance to target)?

Or can you weave around a bit to avoid attacks of opportunity as long as you end your charge in the square that was closest to you when you started?

It just seems like the english definition of "directly" isn't enough here and we need a more official ruling on the intent of the wording.

Thanks!

Dan,

Thank you for writing.

You are correct. You do not need to charge in a straight line.

Good Gaming!

Wonderful!

More questions on the same subject:

1) Can I also turn corners? For example, if a barrier (shown below with X's) blocks pathing but not vision, can I turn the corner as part of the charge?

--+++
xxxx+
----+
---+-
--T--

My movement is the +'s and the T is my target. Is this legal?

2) How about this one:

--+++
xxxx+
-T+++
-----

3) What if I want to avoid an attack of opportunity?

-++--
===+-
-E=+-
===+-
---T-

(E is enemy and ='s mean squares that would provoke attack of opportunity)

These 3 specific situations came up in the discussion and I'd love to come back with answers.

Thank you!

Dan,

1. As long as your vision is not blocked and you can see the target from the start of your charge, yes you can charge around a corner.

2. If your speed is seven, yeah.

3. Looks good too.

All are viable uses of charging.

Good Gaming!

Although this isn't technically a customer service reply, I wanted to mention here that the skill description for Stealth has been officially changed in the DDI Compendium. I included the full skill description in the quote block below for reference, but I wanted to mention it in this thread because rule changes are dramatic enough that they make obsolete some of the previous CSR replies to stealth related questions.

Some important things to notice in the new Stealth skill are:

- You can now only become hidden in combat if you have Superior Cover or Total Concealment. Out of combat you also can become hidden if the enemy is sufficiently distracted. This change particularly impacts warlocks, since it means that you can't become hidden using just the concealment from Shadow Walk.

- The skill description now specifically says you can't use allies as cover for Stealth purposes. That change reverses previous CSR replies on that topic.

- The skill description also specifically says that if you perform an action which takes you out of hiding, you still maintain the benefits of being hidden until the entire action resolves. That means, for example, that a thief who starts out hidden can perform a charge action to run across a room to attack an enemy and still have the benefit of combat advantage on the attack. He won't be considered "unhidden" until the charge is fully resolved. Additionally, since he's still considered "hidden" during the above charge, he likewise would enjoy a -5 penalty on melee opportunity attacks that try to hit him as he charges across.

So this skill change is both a plus and minus for stealthy characters. On the plus side, they can perform things like charges and other actions that involve movement and be considered hidden through the action even if part of the action is out in the open. The down side is that stealthy characters will have a harder time becoming hidden and, because they'll need to make a new stealth check if they move more than 2 squares, they'll have a harder time staying hidden. And stealthy warlocks in particular will pretty much not be able to be quasi-invisible most of the time using just Shadow Walk.

Show

STEALTH (DEXTERITY)

Armor Check Penalty
Make a Stealth check to conceal yourself from enemies, slink past guards, slip away without being noticed, and sneak up on people without being seen or heard.

This skill is used against another creature’s Perception check or against a DC set by the DM.

STEALTH
Stealth: At the end of a move action.

Opposed Check: Stealth vs. passive Perception. If multiple enemies are present, your Stealth check is opposed by each enemy’s passive Perception check. If you move more than 2 squares during the move action, you take a –5 penalty to the Stealth check. If you run, the penalty is –10.

Becoming Hidden: You can make a Stealth check against an enemy only if you have superior cover or total concealment against the enemy or if you’re outside the enemy’s line of sight. Outside combat, the DM can allow you to make a Stealth check against a distracted enemy, even if you don’t have superior cover or total concealment and aren’t outside the enemy’s line of sight. The distracted enemy might be focused on something in a different direction, allowing you to sneak up.

Success: You are hidden, which means you are silent and invisible to the enemy.

Failure: You can try again at the end of another move action.

Remaining Hidden: You remain hidden as long as you meet these requirements.

Keep Out of Sight: If you no longer have any cover or concealment against an enemy, you don’t remain hidden from that enemy. You don’t need superior cover, total concealment, or to stay outside line of sight, but you do need some degree of cover or concealment to remain hidden. You can’t use another creature as cover to remain hidden.

Keep Quiet: If you speak louder than a whisper or otherwise draw attention to yourself, you don’t remain hidden from any enemy that can hear you.

Keep Still: If you move more than 2 squares during an action, you must make a new Stealth check with a –5 penalty. If you run, the penalty is –10. If any enemy’s passive Perception check beats your check result, you don’t remain hidden from that enemy.

Don’t Attack: If you attack, you don’t remain hidden.

Not Remaining Hidden: If you take an action that causes you not to remain hidden, you retain the benefits of being hidden until you resolve the action. You can’t become hidden again as part of that same action.

Enemy Activity: An enemy can try to find you on its turn. If an enemy makes an active Perception check and beats your Stealth check result (don’t make a new check), you don’t remain hidden from that enemy. Also, if an enemy tries to enter your space, you don’t remain hidden from that enemy.
Wizard Sleep CSR Response to: Does taking damage break the sleep spell?

Answer: No, Sleep caused by the spell is a Magic condition and not that like ordinary sleep caused by fatigue or a knock on the head (I'm paraphrasing here) and the only way to break the sleep effect is for the encounter to end or the slept target save.
You can simultaneously Coup De Gras multiple adjacent helpless enemies with area effect powers

This question stemmed from another thread. The CSR answer after escalation is that you can simultaneously Coup De Gras multiple adjacent helpless enemies using a power that has multiple targets. For example, a ranger can Coup De Gras two adjacent helpless enemies with Twin Strike, and a wizard can Coup De Gras all adjacent helpless enemies using a burst or blast like Fire Shroud. In each case the enemies will take automatic critical damage on a hit. (Only adjacent enemies can be hit by a Coup De Gras, so non-adjacent enemies hit by your area effect power will take normal damage.)

Show

Question 1:
If you are adjacent to multiple helpless targets, can you simultaneously Coup De Grace them using an area effect attack? For example, let's say you are a wizard who has knocked a bunch of creatures unconcious using Sleep. Can you then walk up so that you are adjacent to two or three of them, and Coup De Gras them all with a close burst Fire Shroud? It seems like you can read the wording in the Coup De Grace rules either way (ie some people think you can only CDG one target per standard action, while others think you can CDG any adjacent helpless targets using an attack that hits multiple targets.)

Page Number: p.288 Coup De Grace

Escalation:
This email is to inform you that we have received your incident and have escalated it for further review. A representative should be contacting you concerning your incident in 24-48 hours or less. We apologize for this delay and appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this.

Marc
Wizards of the Coast

Answer 1:
Thank you for contacting us. Each foe in the area of effect that still meets the requirements for coup de grace would be effected by an area effect attack. I hope this information is useful.

Marc
Wizards of the Coast

Question 2:
Thanks for the reply, but do you mean that each foe in the area of effect that still meets the requirements for coup de grace would be take automatic critical damage from the area effect attack (because it was a Coup De Gras)? Or do you mean that they take normal damage from the area effect attack? (Sorry, probably just me, but I'm confused by the way the answer was worded.)

Answer 2:
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, each foe in the area of effect that still meets the requirements for coup de grace would be take automatic critical damage from the area effect attack because it was a Coup De Gras. I hope this information is useful.

Marc
Wizards of the Coast

I don't know if this is the place for this question, or if it has already been answered, but it seemed like the best place to ask.

I was looking at the ranger at will selections and I saw that it says careful attack does 1[w] (melee) or 1[w] (ranged) and I was wondering if that was supposed to be 1 [w] + str modifier (melee) or 1[w] + dex modifier (ranged), because I saw on twin strike it only says 1[w] per attack. It also seems like if you don't get to add your modifier damage then careful attack is very inferior to twin strike, because if you attack with careful attack you do get a +2 to hit, but twin strike gives you 2 chances to do the same damage and if you hit with both you can do up to 2 times the damage and you can even attack multiple targets. I think that if Careful Attack receives the Modifier bonus then it would be more balanced, but I could be wrong.
I was looking at the ranger at will selections and I saw that it says careful attack does 1[w] (melee) or 1[w] (ranged) and I was wondering if that was supposed to be 1 [w] + str modifier (melee) or 1[w] + dex modifier (ranged), because I saw on twin strike it only says 1[w] per attack. .

You don't add the stat modifiers to damage on Careful Attack or Twin Strike. Basically the idea is that you're sacrificing some damage per attack in order to either attack twice (Twin Strike) or to attack more accurately (Careful Attack).

P.S. The same is true for the fighter at-will power Sure Strike.
You don't add the stat modifiers to damage on Careful Attack or Twin Strike. Basically the idea is that you're sacrificing some damage per attack in order to either attack twice (Twin Strike) or to attack more accurately (Careful Attack).

P.S. The same is true for the fighter at-will power Sure Strike.

Ok thanks, so it's just a useless power compared to twin strike. That kind of sucks because I was trying to make an archer that was sort of a super accurate guy instead of just filling the sky with arrows.

One more stupid question if I use split the tree and I miss with both rolls and I use the elf racial power to reroll since both rolls are on the same attack do I reroll both or just one. I figure it's just the one but it never hurts to ask.
I don't mean to be an evil thread nazi, but you should probably ask questions by posing your own thread. This thread is dedicated to posting answers people receive from customer service so they can share those answers with others.

In answer to your question, you only reroll one of them.

Careful attack is minorly more useful if you face one of two situations:
A) You are low on arrows and don't want to attack twice, but want to get a good chance of hitting.
B) An opponent's armor class is so high you cannot hit him without a natural 20, but Careful Attack would just so happen to hit him on a 19 or 20 and you're feeling lucky.

Otherwise, I agree with you. I prefer twin strike because you have a much better chance of hitting once by attacking twice, and you may hit both times.
Two questions about ongoing damage effects:

Ongoing Damage + Condition and "save ends both"

Part of my question was:
``example 2: A player is affected by "Ongoing Poison 5 and Weakened", "Ongoing Poison 5 and Dazed", and "Ongoing Poison 5 and Slowed".
Does the player make a single save against all 3 affects because they're all Ongoing Poison? Does a successful save remove all ongoing posion, as well as the weakened, dazed, and slowed conditions?

To which I was told:
example 2) These are in fact 4 separate effects which will each require separate saves. They will have to save against Ongoing Poison 5, Weakened, Dazed, Slowed

There are several abilities that have "save ends both" durations. For example, say a target was hit by Crimson Edge, Biting Assault, and Hamstring. They have the following save ending effects, all of which are marked "(save ends both)".
``Crimson Edge [Rogue 9] Ongoing 5+StrMod and grants combat advantage to you
``Biting Assault [Rogue 25] Ongoing 10 and is weakened
``Hamstring [Rogue 25] Ongoing 10 and is slowed

Since a single save would remove all of the untyped ongoing damage effects, do the Combat Advantage, Weakened, and Slowed also end with that same save? Or does, for example, "The target takes ongoing damage 10 and is weakened (save ends both)" [from Biting Assault] mean that you make 1 save against the ongoing damage and another against the weakened?

Daniel,

Thank you for writing.

At the end of your turn you would have to save for each effect: once for Ongoing 5+StrMod and grants combat advantage to you, once for Ongoing 10 and is weakened, and once for Ongoing 10 and is slowed.

Good Gaming!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.

Paul

Reaper's Stance

When a creature starts its turn adjacent to you while you're using the "Reaper's Stance" power, does the Ongoing 10 damage inflicted affect it on that same turn?

Page Number: 85

Greetings,

Yes, it starts the same turn that you use the power. So, any enemies that take their actions after you will take the ongoing damage.

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

Tony

An inquiry about how adding vulnerability to a creature with resistance to the same works, specifically using Lasting Frost to give a cold resistant creature cold vulnerability. Turns out, there's no answer, so DM fiat. (It's worth noting that applying a resistance to a creature with vulnerability to the same is covered in the books. They overlap and effectively negate one another to whatever degree, but still both apply.)
Show
Subject
Vulnerable/Resistance Interactions

Discussion Thread
Response (Support Agent) 08/04/2008 02:13 PM
Eric,

Unfortunately, there isn’t an official answer for the situation you describe. I’ve passed along this conversation to the game’s developers. Hopefully, we’ll see an update or FAQ entry covering it soon, but until then it’s up to the campaign’s Dungeon Master to decide. The DM is always the final arbiter on how they want their campaign to run. Have fun!

Paul
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST

Customer (Eric Moore) 08/02/2008 11:28 PM
The Lasting Frost feat (full text below) gives a creature hit with a Cold power Vulnerable Cold 5. If the creature has Resistance Cold, does Lasting Frost:

A) negate the Resistance and inflict Vulnerable Cold 5,
B) reduce the Resistance by 5 (effectively applying both at once), or
C) something else?

Lasting Frost
Benefit: Any target you hit with a power that has the cold keyword gains vulnerable cold 5 until the end of your next turn.

Page Number: 203
From Joe, the best CS rep of all:
Throwing weapons are not ranged weapons, they are melee weapons that can be thrown. Though the Thrown weapon property does not specifically say so, these weapons may be used in ranged attacks as well as melee attacks.

It seems that shurikens are ranged, thrown weapons in the light blade category?
Oy. This one's still open, but I'll post what I've got so far.

Under the Wizard of the Spiral Tower Paragon Path features, Corellon's Implement reads as follows:

Corellon's Implement (11th level): Choose an arcane implement that you specialize in, whether the wand, staff, or orb. You can use a longsword as if it were that type of implement when casting your spells.

Although this clearly states that you can use a longsword as though it were an arcane implement, it does not address whether you may use your special ability granted by the implement you have mastery in.

Specifically, my question is: Can a Wizard of the Spiral Tower who has Staff of Defense Arcane Implement Mastery use his Staff of Defense abilities while wielding a longsword as his implement, or does he still have to use his Staff for that ability?

Page Number: pp. 157, 171

Hello. No, Corellon's implement only allows you to use the longsword as an implement while casting a spell, so you would not get the bonuses in this case.

Please write us back if you require any further assistance.

Evan T.
Wizards of the Coast

Thank you for your very quick reply, however, the answer confuses me a bit.

Per previous answers from CustServ, Arcane Implement Mastery is a prerequisite for Corellon's Implement Path Feature. If you access Wizard of the Spiral Tower through multi-classing, you do not gain the ability to use a Longsword as an implement. However, according to your response, the only benefit conferred by the Path feature is the ability to use a Longsword as an implement.

I do not believe that is what Corellon's Implement is intended for. If it were, would it not simply be easier for the text to read, "You may now use a Longsword as an Implement for Wizard Spells?" Further, why are you required to choose an implement you specialize in, and indeed to specialize in an implement to begin with, if the benefit of Corellon's Implement is independent of that choice?

I have no idea how to ask this without sounding rude....could you double check for me, please?

Thank you, again.

I'll post more when I get another answer, but if anybody else has gotten a clearer/different response, please say so. In other news, I'm working on my tact. So far, not so good.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

In other news, I'm working on my tact. So far, not so good.

I disagree. You handled that very well, and apologized for sounding rude even though imo you simply came off as confused. You win a
I disagree. You handled that very well, and apologized for sounding rude even though imo you simply came off as confused. You win a

Thanks! Sometimes, I feel like I end up stating too many points, or stating points in too many different ways, and I feel like I come off as a jerk.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Update!

Greetings,

Regardless of what type of Mastery you chose when creating your character, if you follow the Spiral Tower Paragon path you can use a Longsword as if it were that type implement. That includes the Mastery abilities described on pages 157 and 158. If you chose Orb of Imposition, you can use a Longsword as if it were an Orb, and therefore use Orb of Imposition with it.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Charles
Wizards of the Coast

I'm happy to hear this.

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Glad you pushed the issue! That's more of the response I expected, and I was worried by their first answer.
Glad you pushed the issue! That's more of the response I expected, and I was worried by their first answer.

Yeah, the original response would have definitely been severely watered down. Even if they'd allowed other classes who cross-train into WotST to use Longswords as implements, it's only slightly better than a staff.

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Not strictly a rules Q&A, but a response from CS to my inquiry about the upcoming "Deluxe" Core books that might be of interest (I posted this in another thread on the topic, but thought I should add it to CCSA as well):

ME: Could you tell me if the "Deluxe" Editions of the Core books due for release in October will be updated to include any the errata/rules updates that have come out online in the past few weeks, or will these books be identical to those released in June?

CS: Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately the Deluxe Editions of the core rulebooks will not include any of the updates that have been released thus far. The Contents of these books will be identical to those that were released in June. Please let me know if you need anymore help!

What a waste! Who's going to buy the deluxe editions now?

The only reason I bought the 3.5 deluxe editions was to get the errata.
Nice one, WotC!

As much as I like 4e much more than I ever did 3.5, I'm finding many of the marketing decisions for the new edition to be very, very poor.
"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

If a power requires that you be weilding a ranged weapon, holding a throwable weapon is not enough:
Show

If a power requires that you be weilding a ranged weapon to use the power, and you're holding a weapon that can be thrown (such as a dagger), can you use the power by throwing the dagger?

More specifically, could you use the Twinstrike power while holding a dagger in each hand, and then make two Dexterity vs AC attacks for 1[w] damage each?

Page Number: 105
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting us. If a power requires that you be wielding a ranged weapon to use the power, you must use one of the weapons listed on page 219 under Ranged Weapons. You can not use a melee weapon that can be thrown. You could not use the Twinstrike power while holding a dagger in each hand, and then make two Dexterity vs AC attacks for 1[w] damage each. I hope this information is useful.

Good Gaming!

Marc
Hrm... A previous CSR response (and the PHB) claims that if you use a power that attacks multiple times and you're using a magical thrown weapon, the weapon reappears in your hand at the end of each attack so you can throw the same weapon for all attacks of the power.

However, with Lokathor's answer, I don't see how that will ever happen! If a power says "ranged", it cannot be a thrown weapon (must be in "ranged" category), and if a power says "melee" you have to use it as a melee weapon and not throw it.

Unless one or more of the following is true, then there's no way to use thrown weapons at all (except the shuriken):

a) Throwing a melee weapon counts as a melee attack, just like a reach weapon does. Thus, you could perform a melee twin strike with two handaxes and hit from a distance of 5 (or 10 with a -2 penalty).
b) The ranged basic attack makes an exception, and allows you to count thrown melee weapons as ranged weapons while using the attack.
c) A mistake has been made, and all throwable weapons really are ranged weapons when thrown.

So exactly how & when can thrown weapons like the handaxe actually be used?

Lokathor: Mind posting that as a followup question? I'd love it if it turns out throwing a melee weapon counted as a melee attack, though I doubt that's the case.
"A melee weapon with the heavy thrown or the light thrown property counts as a ranged weapon when thrown and can be used with ranged attack powers that have the weapon keyword." -PHB page 215. So in this case, the CSR is directly contradicting what is in the book.