Consolidated Customer Service Answers

861 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yes, that's a [sic]. I'll add it.
Answers regarding stealth, hiding and combat advantage using partial cover in combat

Show

Let's say you're an archer or a stealthy warlock in combat in an area whose squares each provide soft cover, such as a lightly forested battlemap or a graveyard where you can take cover behind tombstones. The rules allow you to gain cover while standing in a square that includes a small tree or low covering, etc.

Assume that you are currently unhidden and visible to the enemy. Since your space provides constant cover, can you use a minor action to hide in your space without moving? (If so I'm guessing that the enemy would still be able to attack your square and have a -5 penalty to hit you, since they can reasonably guess you haven't moved.)

On a similar note, in the above example can you hide in your square using a minor action then pop out and do a standard action ranged attack and gain combat advantage because you were hidden? (ie. Even though the enemy is pretty sure you are still in the same square, they don't know your exact posture or position or timing of your attack so are at a disadvantage to defend themselves against it.)

Finally if a rogue hides in a square behind a tree or tombstone, and a monster provokes an opportunity attack by trying to walk past the hidden rogue, is the rogue still considered hidden and gains combat advantage on the opportunity attack (and hence probably a sneak attack)?

I'm thinking the answer to all my questions is "yes", but since it's all kind of complicated I wanted to get a more official ruling on it. Thanks for all the help, you CS guys are great!

Answer:
As part of an action, you can make a Stealth check to hide, yes.
The enemy likely still knows you are there, but cannot see you, because you are behind the tree.

Yes, you can hide then attack with combat advantage.

Yes, the rogue could use Sneak Attack,if it has not already been used in that round.

Good Gaming!

Joe
Customer Service Representative
Wizards of the Coast
That just confirms what we've been hearing for more than the last week. CS seems to have gotten a consistent view of stealth now.
From Joe, the best CS rep of all:

If you are using a Magic throwing weapon, it will hit all the targets and return to your hand (yeah Magic is that awesome). If you are using mundane throwing weapons, you will need one for each attack roll made and you will need three [sic] Quick draw feat to be able to draw and use them all.
-Joe, Wizards CSR, 06/25/2008

Wow. The requirement is only that you are 'weilding a light thrown weapon', not that you have to have one per foe AND a feat to draw them!

Personally I think having multiple weapons makes sense, although you could say some glance off and hit another etc, but making them have a feat as well limits the power in my opinion.
That just confirms what we've been hearing for more than the last week. CS seems to have gotten a consistent view of stealth now.

I agree, joe was the last to respond to mine as well.
Question:
Spinning Sweep states "Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you knock the target prone." This power does not indicate a size restriction nor any restriction on the number of legs a creature possesses.

By this definition of the rule My first level fighter could knock a Titan prone (assuming he could hit).

Is there anything preventing this from happening? I found nothing in the monster description or in either the combat section of the PHB to contradict this.

If this is the intended working of this power then does that go for all push, pull, and slide powers that do not specifically state size category?

Answer:
Thanks for the great feedback! We’ve passed this along to the good folks that make the games and hopefully we’ll see some errata covering this situation soon. Until then, it is up to your Dungeon Master to determine how he/she wants to handle this particular situation in their campaign.

Joe

I know that most pull and slides are more taunts but in the case of spinning sweep it seems that since it is a physical attack that size may be a limiting factor.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

From another thread over on the Char Op board.

I found this topic very interesting, and while I tended to have my own opinion, I decided to ask the source, and went to CustServ. Here is my question, their response, and my (as yet unanswered) follow up question.

Originally Posted by karossii
According to page 226 of the PHB, "When you use a magic item as part of a racial power or a class power, the keywords of the item’s power and the other power all apply."

I've seen various rules discussions and even custserv rulings which clarify this (even though I did not think any clarification was needed) with the use of weapons. Recently a debate on implements has come up.

If an implement has a daily power which has one or more keywords, do those keywords affect all spells cast through the implement? For example, a wand of ray of enfeeblement has the keyword necrotic. Would a magic missile cast using that wand gain the necrotic keyword?

To take this a step further, most wizard or warlock powers can be crafted into a wand of appropriate level. Can this be used to make custom wands with a particular keyword (such as fear, fire, or psychic) that then apply to all spells cast through the wand (and provide extra benefit from certain feats based off of those same keywords)?

Thank you.

Originally Posted by CustServ
Yes, an implements keywords are added to attack made with that implement.

The only wands that can be made are the ones which are listed.

Good Gaming!

Joe
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST

Originally Posted by karossii
Thank you for the quick and concise response! To clarify, on page 242 of the PHB under 'Wands' 3rd paragraph, it is stated, "A wand can contain an encounter power of any class capable of using wands. When you craft a wand, you can choose any encounter power that you know or that is available to your class. You can’t choose anything other than a class power (you can’t choose a paragon path power, for instance)."

By that statement, I take it that virtually any wizard or warlock encounter power (either attack or utility) can be added to a wand when it is crafted.

Based on that, any single applicable encounter power can be 'cherry picked' to add to a wand to get the specific keywords which will benefit the character the most, based on feats, paragon powers, etc.

The specific example in question was a wand of Howl of Doom, used by a tiefling warlock/doomsayer with a combination of feats that enhance powers with the 'fear' and/or 'thunder' keywords.

Assuming the rules are indeed functioning as it appears, in this case the character in question would apply both the 'fear' and 'thunder' keywords to every power which has the implement keyword (and thus can be 'cast' through the use of the "Wand of Howl of Doom").

Is this an accurate assessment?

EDIT: The response came back, a monosyllabic affirmative;
Originally Posted by CustServ
Yes, this is possible.

Good Gaming!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.

Joe
Wizards of the Coast

Here's my own query with C/S:

Hi,
Thanks - I know we're all being pedantic and obsessive.

According to the PHB on page 226,
"Like racial powers and class powers, magic item
powers often have keywords that indicate their
damage or effect types. When you use a magic item as
part of a racial power or a class power, the keywords
of the item’s power and the other power all apply. For
instance, if a paladin uses a flaming sword to attack
with a power that deals radiant damage, the power
deals both fire damage and radiant damage."

To be clear, another example:

The Wand of Witchfire (page 244) has a power with the Fire keyword.
If a warlock uses that wand as an implement with a class power, does the fire keyword get applied to the spell?
And does the spell then do fire damage as well?
So if that was a tiefling warlock with the hellfire feat, the spell would also get a +1 to hit and damage feat bonus?

From Joe:
Yes, yes and yes to all three of your questions. The rule you quotes states that this is what happens.

Good Gaming!

From another thread over on the Char Op board.

A huge thanks to Joe, from WotC Customer Service! If you appreciate him too, put this in your signature.
A different take on the staff as implement.

Here are the two arguments

1. When using a staff as an implement (not as a weapon) it only requires 1 hand to wield since nothing says it's different than any other implement.

2. When using a staff as an implement you must wield it with two hands because nothing says that wielding it as an implement is different than wielding it as a weapon.

Which argument is correct?

Thank you for contacting us. If you are using a staff as an implement it does not matter if you are using it with one hand or two hands. The player can choose. If the staff is being used as a melee weapon however, two hands must be used. I hope this helps clear things up for you. Please let me know if you need anymore help!

My question:
've asked in the forum and I'm getting conflicting stories from users. Both sides make very good points... so I figured I should ask a more knowledgeable and official source. I've got a level 16 pit fighter whose Dirty Fighting and Extra Damage Action features add quite a bit of damage to my attacks. However, I'm not sure if the extra damage from each should be added on a miss with Reaping Strike and to the second enemy with Cleave. These effects do not specify a damage "roll", just an attack or damage occurring. It seems like they should add their damage in this case, much like Channel Divinity: Divine Strength (paladin). What's the ruling on this?

The forum thread in question can be found here:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1052513

-Wazat

Their response:
Dan,

For any power that deals half damage on a miss, you would include half of the extra damage from Extra Damage and Dirty Fighting.
For something like Cleave where you deal a fixed amount of damage to a second target, you will still get extra damage from these abilities because of their specific wording.

Good Gaming!

So it appears some powers DO apply their damage even to static ability mod damage because they do not specify a damage roll.

-Wazat
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work. And Stay Down: The Polearm Momentum Handbook
Q: The Warlord Power "Commander's Strike" has a range of Melee. Does this mean that that the monster that will be attacked by the ally must be in the Warlord's melee reach? And you can pick any ally that has melee reach to the target?

A: The only requirements for Commander's Strike are the Warlord must be holding a melee weapon, and the ally must be able to attack the targeted creature with a basic melee attack.

Good Gaming!
Joe
Wizards of the Coast

Q: The dying rules say you die if you fail death saving throw 3 times before a rest, once combat is over, can the party declare they are resting (I don't see anywhere saying you can't) and thus you are no longer in danger once combat is over? Or are you in danger for 5 minutes or until you roll a 20?
Or can you not rest until you are stabilized?

A: Thank you for contacting us. Yes, once combat is over the party can declare they are resting. Once you have rested you would no longer be in danger. I hope this information is useful. Please let me know if you need anymore help!

Good Gaming!
Marc
Wizards of the Coast

Q: Is ammunition lost forever once shot?
Are thrown weapons (assuming not magical) lost forever once shot?
Or can you pick them up after the battle?

A: Thank you for contacting us. Ammunition such as arrows, bolts, and sling bullets are used up when you fire it from a projectile weapon. It will be up to your DM to decide with Light Thrown weapons whether you can retrieve them or not. I hope this information is useful.

Good Gaming!
Marc
Wizards of the Coast

I assume he meant heavy thrown weapons are also up to DM decision?
Thrown weapons aren't ammo, and shouldn't be considered lost.
Thrown weapons aren't ammo, and shouldn't be considered lost.

That all depends on where you throw them ... hence "up to your DM"
That all depends on where you throw them ... hence "up to your DM"

Yeah, if I were DMing, I would definitely say that most of the time you can get them back, especially given this ruling. However, I can think of times when you might not, say if you hit a monster flying over lava and it fell into the lava when it died.
I guess if a player likes throwing things the DM can just give him a magic boomerang and not have to worry about it anymore.
The only requirements for Commander's Strike are the Warlord must be holding a melee weapon,

I find this amusing, why does he have to be holding a weapon? Is he shouting, "DO LIKE THIS!" and then swinging the weapon?
A couple more questions answered by CSR-supreme Joe. ("Go Joe!")

You do not have to charge in a straight line
Show

Question:
Charge (p.287 PHB) says "you must move directly to the nearest square from which you can attack the enemy." There's two different opinions on what that means on the forums. Either:

a) When you charge an opponent it similar to if the opponent were Pulling you toward it (p.285). That is, each square you move must bring you nearer to the creature. If this is the case, then you can zig zag around obstacles a bit while you charge, provided every square you move is one square closer to the target;

or

b) You have to trace an imaginary straight line between you and the target and follow that line as closely as possible. (Note though that the charge description does not mention requiring line of sight or line of effect. However some people are reading "directly" to mean "in a straight line".) Interpreting it this way would prohibit charging around obstacles or corners, and it also begs the question of how you properly follow a straight line on a square grid map if the line is at an odd angle.

I can't seem to find any examples or diagrams of charging in the PHB to refer to. What's the official stance on 4th edition charging? It is like a monster pulling you, or is it that you follow an imaginary line between squares?

Answer:
You do not have to charge in a straight line, but you do have to charge to the nearest square from which you can make the attack.
You do have to be able to see the target you are charging.

Joe
Wizards of the Coast

Hellish Rebuke only reflects the first time you take damage, not every time
Show

Question:
The warlock power Hellish Rebuke says that "If you take damage before the end of your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 + Constitution modifier fire damage."

The wording is a little ambiguous, though. Does it mean EVERY time you take damage before the end of your next turn the target takes extra damage, or does it mean ONLY THE FIRST time you take damage before the end of your next turn the target takes extra damage?

Answer:
Hellish Rebuke should be looked at as a yes or no question. Did you take damage before the start of your next turn, yes or no? If yes, the target takes 1d6 + Con modifier damage.
This does not happen each time you take damage, it only triggers once.

Joe
Wizards of the Coast
I find this amusing, why does he have to be holding a weapon? Is he shouting, "DO LIKE THIS!" and then swinging the weapon?

hahahaha are you sure that in this case it isn't referring to the ally needing a weapon?

Either way though you are always considered as having a weapon in 4th since hand to hand is now listed as an improvised weapon.....

which I do find amusing. That my fists are improvised weapons.

Q: Under what circumstances does it matter if a weapon is offhand?
Does one of your weapons have to be offhand to benefit from the Two Weapon Fighting Feat? The 2 Weapon Defense Feat? (They both say you just need a weapon in each hand, not that one of them be offhand.)
Does it mean that you must have an offhand weapon if you use a power that states offhand, such as when you multiclass into Ranger?
Does it mean that if you held 2 weapons not offhand and wanted to switch, you would have to spend a free action to drop the last one you used and a minor action to equip the other one?
Or some combination of the above? Are there additional consequences I am missing?

A: The main reason it matters whether or not a weapon has off-hand trait is that unless you're a Ranger, wielding a weapon with the off-hand property is the only way you get to wield two weapons. Your DM may rule otherwise, but strictly according to what's written, the only way to wield two weapons at the same time is to have one of them have the off-hand property. Consequently, yes, one of your weapons has to be off-hand in order to benefit from the Two-Weapon Fighting and Defense feats. Please let me know if you need anymore help!

Tony
Wizards of the Coast

I guess that means without DM approval, you can't pick up 2 (nonoffhand)weapons at once, as in it is physically impossible. As opposed to wield meaning attack with.

Also both "Offhand" and "Two Weapon Fighting"/"Two Weapon Defense" only refer to holding a weapon, not wielding one. So I guess to hold is to wield.
Q) P. 209 Can powers gained in a second class by Paragon multiclassing be swapped out for stronger powers at higher levels? eg: a warlock who multiclassed into a cleric chooses to learn Firestorm at level 20 as his new daily power. Once he reaches Lvl 29, could he swap Firestorm out for Astral Storm?

A). Powers can only be swapped for the same level.

Paul
Wizards of the Coast

Sneilius: Note that as a ranger you can treat *any* one-handed weapon as an off-hand weapon. So, it's perfectly possible to dual-wield battle axes or long swords by being a ranger.

Other classes must use offhand weapons to dual-wield, and do not gain as many benefits as a ranger (able to attack twice etc). However, they can benefit from feats like Two-Weapon Fighting and Two-Weapon Defense (which is similar to carrying a small shield).
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work. And Stay Down: The Polearm Momentum Handbook
Is it just me or is it odd that a running long jump clears more height than a running high jump?

High jump Example: Marc, a 6-foot-tall human, attempts
a high jump to catch a rope dangling 12 feet overhead.
His check result is 26. With a running start,
he leaps the distance (26 ÷ 5 = 5 feet, plus his height
and one-third for a final reach of 13 feet). If Marc
leaps from a standing position, he can’t quite reach
the end of the rope (26 ÷ 10 = 2 feet for a final reach
of 10 feet).
^
In this instance his feet clear 5 feet on a roll of 26

Long Jump Example:Marc attempts a long jump to clear a
5-foot-high wall of thorns and the 10-foot-wide pit
beyond it. His check result is 24. With a running start,
he easily jumps the distance (24 ÷ 5 = 4.8 squares or
24 feet) and clears the wall (24 ÷ 4 = 6 feet). If Marc
jumps from a standing position, he can’t quite make
it across the pit (24 ÷ 10 = 2.4 squares or 12 feet) and
doesn’t clear the wall (12 ÷ 4 = 3 feet). He hits the wall
of thorns and falls prone before reaching the pit.
^
In this one he clears 6 feet with a 24

If Marc just wanted to run and jump on a ledge of the same 5 foot height using running high jump, he would only get 4 ft on a roll of 24 rather than the 6 provided by a running long jump with the same roll.

and what about tucking up your legs for landing. If you jump 2 ft off the ground you can still pull up your legs and actually land on something 4 ft high without much effort.... i.e. being trained in Athletics

It also doesn't state whether or not you can take part of your jump check or if you have to go with whatever you roll.

What happens if there is a 2 square pit followed by a 1 square ledge and then another 3 square pit. If I roll a 20 and gain 4 squares of jump do I jump over the 2 square pit but miss the 1 Square ledge and end up in the pit on the other side? Do I jump into the second pit or can I choose to land on the ledge instead?

Response

Thanks for the great feedback! We’ve passed this along to the good folks that make the games and hopefully we’ll see some errata covering this situation soon. Until then, it is up to your Dungeon Master to determine how he/she wants to handle this particular situation in their campaign.

Tony

So the new customer service response is officially.... figure it out yourself. It's probably due to the overwhelming number of questions they have been getting.

Sigh...

Q:
What constitutes wielding? Holding a weapon?
If a Rogue holds a short sword in one hand and a dagger in the other, can he still get the +1 from "wielding" a dagger, even when he attacks with the shortsword, since he is still "wielding" a dagger?

Thank you for writing. Wielding refers to actually attacking with the weapon when using the power. You only count as wielding a dagger if you attack with a dagger.

Please let me know if you need anymore help!

Good Gaming!

Rob
Wizards of the Coast

Wield means different things to different CSRs I guess. I'm assuming the first one mispoke slightly, but the ruling is still correct in function. There is no way you can "wield" (attack with) two weapons without a ranger power. The definitions of TWF/TWD are in error, they should mention at least one of the weapons you "hold" must be offhand. I guess I have functioning rules to smack munchkins with, which is what I really wanted.

Crazy idea, what if for rogue weapon talent instead of "wield" it said "attack with?"
I guess that means without DM approval, you can't pick up 2 (nonoffhand)weapons at once, as in it is physically impossible. As opposed to wield meaning attack with....

The CSR didn't say you can't hold two weapons. He said you can't wield two weapons, meaning you can't make an attack using the weapon in your off-hand unless that weapon has the Off-Hand property. For example, you can hold a longsword in your primary hand and a warhammer in your off-hand, but you won't be able to attack using the warhammer. Your attacks would have to use the longsword only. So the off-hand warhammer isn't doing you much good, even though you're holding it.

Also both "Offhand" and "Two Weapon Fighting"/"Two Weapon Defense" only refer to holding a weapon, not wielding one. So I guess to hold is to wield.

Yeah, the CSR Tony's answer above seems to disagree with the actual wording of the feats. Two-Weapon Fighting feat says you get +1 damage with your main weapon "while holding" a melee weapon in your off-hand. It doesn't say "while wielding" a melee weapon in your off-hand. And, as I described above, there is a difference between just holding a weapon and actively being able to wield it to attack someone. I blame the wording in the feats, not the CSR. The feats should probably have used the word "wield" and not "hold".

That being said, I think it makes a good deal of sense for a DM to simply say that you have to be able to make attacks with your off-hand weapon in order to gain the benefits of the Two-Weapon Fighting and Two-Weapon Defense feats. After all, if the weapon is too bulky for you to move around effectively in combat, then you probably shouldn't be getting damage and defense bonuses from those feats while holding it.
Response

Tony

So the new customer service response is officially.... figure it out yourself. It's probably due to the overwhelming number of questions they have been getting.

That's their response for "You seem to have a good grasp on the rules and we agree that it seems wrong. It's not our role to make errata so we're passing it allong."
I don't think it is a contradiction... you get those bonuses but you don't get the Rogue +1 for dagger unless you wield it. The ones that state hold, mean you get them while holding a weapon those that state wield you only get when you attack with that weapon.

That's their response for "You seem to have a good grasp on the rules and we agree that it seems wrong. It's not our role to make errata so we're passing it allong."

Got ya, thank you. In other words it means that particular rule in fact needs attention rather than, there is a simple answer.

So, it's been a week since the main post was updated. Are we gonna see updates to it anytime soon?

TBP
Q) P. 209 Can powers gained in a second class by Paragon multiclassing be swapped out for stronger powers at higher levels? eg: a warlock who multiclassed into a cleric chooses to learn Firestorm at level 20 as his new daily power. Once he reaches Lvl 29, could he swap Firestorm out for Astral Storm?

Since doing the multiclass paragon requires to have the three swap feats, the warlock can replace "Adept Power" feat per the rule on pg 209 to get rid of alvl 29 warlock power and selecting Astral Storm at said lvl, which would be in addition to having Firestorm.
My question:
Hi there! Quick question for you on Versatile weapons. If you use a Longsword two-handed, you do 1d8+1 base damage on a hit. In this case, is the [W] equal to 1d8+1, or is the [W] still 1d8, and you add the +1 damage due to wielding a Versatile weapon in two hands after all other calculations are done?

Asked another way, if you hit with a power that does 3[W] damage, and you are wielding a Longsword in two hands, do you do 3d8+3 damage, or 3d8+1 damage?

The response:
Mark,

The [W] only refers to the weapon dice, not to any bonuses to those dice, such as versatile weapon bonuses or strength bonuses. The 3[W] attack would be 3d8+1.

Good gaming!

Cody

-Mark
1) How many spells does the Arcane Initiate(AI) learn when they use one of the power swap feats.
The AI does not mention it has the Spellbook class feature where it outlines that a Full Wizard gets two Dailies and Utilities per level. Similar to the Warrior of the Wild who does not get the fighting styles feature of a ranger, I would expect that the AI does not get the two dailies/utilities per level.

2) Does the AI need the spellbook to store it's spells? If they do not have the Spellbook class feature benefits, can or are they required to use a spellbook for their one spell. Or would it be that since they do not have the feature they would have no clue how to use one, even if it was for only one spell.

3) An AI with the proper WIS score would meet the requirements for the Expanded Spellbook feat, pg 195.
If the answer to #2 is that they don't have the spellbook, will they now be able to use one?
How many spells would they have. If they only have one spell to start with, would they have two as the "One extra spell" specifies, or would they have three since the feat states "You now have three spells"

I'll answer your questions in order:

1. The Arcane Initiate learns one power, just as the book says. Since Arcane Initiates are not full wizards and don't have the spellbook class feature, they do not follow the wizard's rules when gaining daily and utility powers.

2. They do not need a spellbook to store their spells, as they don't have the spellbook class feature.

3. While the prerequisites would allow you take the feat, not using a spellbook would make the feat useless. Put this one down to being up to your DM to decide and I will also send this up to be looked at for possible errata in the future.

Good gaming!

Cody 06/28/2008 11:36 AM

you might crap a brick for this one...
06/27/2008 12:30 PM
Eldritch Blast and Magic Missle have a special note on them.
"This power counts as a ranged basic attack. When a power allows you to make a ranged basic attack, you can use this power"
Well, does that mean I can take a -2 penalty to the attack in order to double the range of Eldritch Blast and Magic Missle? And can you sneak attack using one of these abilities if you multi-class rogue, or if a rogue multi-classes as a warlock?

If not, what is the point of this ranged basic attack? What powers call for it? When can I use either of these abilities as a ranged basic attack?

Boris,

You are correct, you cannot Sneak Attack with either of these powers because they are not using the appropriate weapon.
Unfortunately, the answer Cody gave you was in error.

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

Joe
Wizards of the Coast

joe saves the day again. cody seems to be wrong. i wonder if the people at wizards read this stuff?

Boris,

You cannot change the max range of powers by taking a penalty to them. You can absolutely use these powers as part of a sneak attack, just as you can sneak attack with any power that qualifies.

As far as what powers call for them, you'll have to read the book and discover them for yourself...

Good gaming!

Cody
Wizards of the Coast
Well that was only marginally helpful. "Look in the book and find out for yourself"... pah!

Too bad opportunity attacks are melee basic attacks. So close... If only it allowed ranged you could use it for that (which would be pretty powerful).

A search through the player's handbook produced these results:

Stir the Hornet’s Nest (Warlord Attack 25) lets all allies make a free ranged basic attack. If the warlord in your party is assisting you this way you can use these powers instead.

Fox's Cunning (Ranger Attack 1) lets you respond to being attacked by shifting a square and making a basic attack. If you were a ranger and you multiclassed into wizard (or visa versa), you could use these powers instead of a ranged basic attack.

Tiger's Reflex (Ranger Attack 25) lets you respond to an enemy attacking you by hitting it with a basic attack before its attack lands.

Hide From the Light (Rogue Utility 22) requires that you only make basic attacks to stay invisible. I assume using these powers will work for that then.

If a fighter hits you with Supremacy of Steel (Fighter Attack 25), you can only make basic attacks until the end of his next turn.

That's all I found. Doesn't seem all that helpful, imo. Maybe it's a seed for later when Monk or some other class adds something special, or some new rule in the next release gives more sources of free ranged basic attacks.
you missed the big deal of that post. the big deal is the guy told me i could sneak attack with eldritch blast+magic missle. which is kinda against what the PHB said. so i sent in another question. lets wait a few more days shall we
Oh, hehe. Yes, that IS a big deal.
Eldritch Blast and Magic Missle have a special note on them.
"This power counts as a ranged basic attack. When a power allows you to make a ranged basic attack, you can use this power"
Well, does that mean I can take a -2 penalty to the attack in order to double the range of Eldritch Blast and Magic Missle? And can you sneak attack using one of these abilities if you multi-class rogue, or if a rogue multi-classes as a warlock?

If not, what is the point of this ranged basic attack? What powers call for it? When can I use either of these abilities as a ranged basic attack?

Joe is absolutely right that you can't sneak attack with an Eldritch Blast or Magic Missile. Under Sneak Attack on p.117 it specifically says that you must be using "a weapon from the light blade, crossbow or sling weapon group." Obviously Eldritch Blast and Magic Missile are weapons, let alone weapons in those groups.

As far as the question of when it might be important that you can use Magic Missile or Eldritch Blast as ranged basic attacks, certain powers let you get free ranged basic attacks. For example, the 13th level Warlord power Beat Them Into The Ground (p.149) allows all the warlord's allies within 5 squares to make free basic attacks on a target of their choice. (When a power says just "basic attack" it can be either a melee basic attack or a ranged basic attack.) So if you're a wizard and your warlord ally used Beat Them Into The Ground, you could fire a Magic Missile as your free basic attack.
Yay, my question has been answered. This comes from this thread.

Problem 1:
The Vorpal property on a weapon says:
"Whenever you roll the maximum result on any damage die for this weapon, roll that die again and add the additional result to the damage total. If a reroll results in another maximum damage result, roll it again and keep adding."

Question 1:
If I get a critical hit (natural 20) with a weapon, I treat it "as though" I have rolled maximum damage. However, for the purpose of Vorpal Weapon's reroll property kicking in, did I technically "roll maximum damage" on those dice? In other words, with a Vorpal Falchion do I get to start rerolling the two d4's I just max-rolled as part of the critical?

Problem 2:
Many other damage dice can be involved during an attack, especially during a critical hit. This includes things like:
a) Sneak Attack damage
b) the extra damage on a critical hit on the Vorpal Weapon (+1d12 per plus = +6d12)
c) +1d10 damage on a critical from a High-Crit weapon (like a great axe) or from the Devastating Critical feat.

Question 2:
Presumably all or most of these are considered damage die for the weapon because I'm using a power with the weapon keyword. In that case, they should qualify for the Vorpal Reroll if they roll maximum. Is that correct -- when I roll these extra dice, do I get to do the Vorpal Reroll if any of them come out maximum?

Their response:

Greetings,

1) You do not count the dice you maximize because of a critical hit for Vorpal weapon. These dice are not "rolled" and consequently do not trigger that power.

2) A Vorpal weapon will count all other dice rolled because of sneak attack, hunter's quarry, etc.

So, it looks like you don't get to re-roll the dice of your weapon that was maximized by the critical hit. However, that doesn't matter because you do get to reroll any other dice rolled with the attack such as:
-the extra 6d12 from the vorpal's critical
-the vorpal weapon's daily power
-any 1d10 from a high-crit weapon and/or the Overwhelming Critical feat
-other dice that come as part of the power you're using (All Bets Are Off, etc) or any effects that add more die rolls (Hunter's Quarry; unfortunately sneak attack is out because there are not vorpal daggers, slings, etc ).

yay for swarms of exploding dice!
Just passing along some answers I got from Tony from Customer Service.

Is Teleporting an enemy forced movement?

1) Is a teleportation effect (such as from the Elemental maw spell) considered a forced movement effect and follow all restrictions of such a movement, such as no vertical movement or having a clear path? Or is it simply a teleport which affects any creature, friend or foe?

1. Teleportation does not count as forced movement. It follows all of the rules on page 286, under Teleportation.

If forced movement is interrupted by other movement, what happens?

2) If a forced movement is interrupted by some other movement effect, perhaps a readied action, or a teleport square (such as elemental maw), does the forced movement continue afterwards? For example, if a enemy is adjacent to the origin of an elemental maw spell, and is hit, can he be pulled in 1 square, be teleported adjacent to the origin again, pulled in for the 2nd square of movement and teleported once more?

2. If forced movement is interrupted by another form of movement, the new movement will supercede the forced movement. In your example, the enemy will be deposited on the ground next to the vortex, and will not be pulled in again.

Elemental Maw's Vortex

3) How long does the vortex of Elemental Maw last? Does it only exist long enough for hit targets to be pulled in, or does the third line of the effect section apply to the vortex (stating "the effect remains until the end of your next round")?

3. The vortex and the area of difficult terrain both last until the end of your next turn.

4) If the answer to 3 is anything other than instantaneous, does any movement into the square trigger the damage and teleport, or only pull effects? Would a slide or push work? Would normal movement work, using it as a somewhat painful friendly teleport?

4. Only pull effects trip the maw's teleportation effect as described in the power.

Custserv on Divine Miracle

I asked custserv
Show
Can Divine Miracle be used to recover a utility encounter power that takes a free action to use for an nearly infinite number of uses in a single round?

Examples:
Master of Deceit(Page 119): If this is the final encounter power a demigod has available can he use it, recover it, use it, recover it until he's rolled a 20 on his bluff check.

Pray for more(Page 100): Similarly could this power be used to ensure that maximum damage is rolled? When combined with the vorpal weapon property(Page 236)could this lead to near infinite damage? (I know that the DM can and probably would limit the number of free actions available in this case as the rolling would take an eternity).

Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune(Page 62): Similarly could this power be used to gain a very large bonus?

Channel Divinity: Kord's Favor(page 198): Similarly can can this be used multiple times from a single trigger event?

Does the limit on using one one channel divinity power per encounter stop you from using the same power more than once in an encounter?

Elven Accuracy(Page 40): Similarly can this power be used and recovered until all the attack rolls made are crits?

Evan replied
Show
James,

Yes, Divine Mircale can be used to recover a utility encounter power that takes a free action, as you suspect.

Considering your first example, Master of Deceit, You can do this, but you will have to have used all of your other powers before you use this. And, displaying a bunch of attack powers may hurt negotiations.

For your second example, "pray for more" has you take the second roll, so it does not matter how many times you use it, you get the second roll.

For your third example, Channel divinity is not a power, but a class feature that gives you access to a group of powers to use, so you can not refresh your ability to use channel divinity with divine miracle.

For your fourth question, "Does the limit on using one one channel divinity power per encounter stop you from using the same power more than once in an encounter?", the answer is yes, it does.

Concerning Elven Accuracy, similar to pray for more, you are required to accept the second roll.

Hope this clears things up!

Please write us back if you require any further assistance.

Evan T.
Wizards of the Coast
Look what I found in my E-mail this morning!

Page 176--
"Indestructable: When a lich is reduced to 0 hit points, its body and possessions crumble into dust, but it is not destroyed. It reappears (along with its possessions) in 1d10 days within 1 square of its phylactery, unless the phylactery is also found and destroyed."

Now, if the lich is destroyed while in posession of his phylactery, his phylactery, as per the rule above, turns into dust with him. What happens next? Is he vanquished for good? Does he reappear in the same place with an intact phylactery 1d10 days later?

If it is the latter, then liches are indeed quite nearly indestructable as you would never find the phylactery since it "went the way of the lich."

Juddson,

A Phylactery is not destroyed if a lich is carrying it when its body is destroyed, unless the DM specifically wants it to be.

Good Gaming!

Joe
Wizards of the Coast

Useful Star Wars Saga Links
Complete Saga Index
Expanded Saga Races PDF
NPC/Encounter Requests Thread
Official Errata Thread
Official FAQ Thread

Personal Contributions: 10,000+ posts and counting!
(The current forum count is a lie!)

Check out my DeviantArt Gallery!
Here's another from Joe, which contradicts another out there:

Questions Asked:
A couple of Warlock Star Pact questions:
1. Fate of the Void gives "+1 bonus to any single d20 roll you make during your next turn" when a cursed enemy is taken out, and the bonus is cumulative. Is there any way for this bonus to be split amongst more than one roll on the next turn, e.g., if two cursed enemies drop, you get +2 - can they be split among two rolls in the next turn?
The references to "a single d20 roll" and "This bonus is cumulative...you gain a...bonus to a d20 roll" indicate a single roll.

2. Improved Fate of the Void gives " an additional +1 bonus to the d20 roll". Is this an extra +1 per cursed enemy dropped (i.e., drop 2, and get +4 next round), or just a flat +1 bonus regardless of the number of enemies dropped?
Because it appears to be a single roll, and the feat gives a +1 bonus to the one d20 roll, that the bonus is only applied once, regardless of the number of enemies dropped.

Answers from Joe:
1. No they cannot. The bonus is to any single d20 roll.

2. Improved Fate of the Void gives you an additional +1, not an additional +1 per cursed target that drops to 0.

Conclusion:
So this appears to confirm that the bonus is to a single roll, but is contradictory to the previous CSR response regarding Improved Fate of the Void, saying it only gives +1 total.