Consolidated Customer Service Answers

861 posts / 0 new
Last post
i dont believe paragon multiclassing, or half-elf dilletante would stop it working if you went with a NORMAL avenger tho :p Hybrids lose so much more than you see on first inspection.

Subject
Thieves Tools Question

"Can a character not trained in the Thievery Skill use a Thieves Kit, and take advantage of the +2 bonus?"

Discussion Thread
 Response (Support Agent)03/31/2010 07:34 AM
Hello Robert,

Unfortunately, there isn’t an official answer for the situation you describe. I’ve passed along this conversation to the game’s developers. Hopefully, we’ll see an update or FAQ entry covering it soon, but until then it’s up to the campaign’s Dungeon Master to decide. The DM is always the final arbiter on how they want their campaign to run. Have fun!

Grappling strike is one of the new fighter at-will attacks, which reads (in part):

Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you grab the target. The grab ends automatically at the end of your next turn.

Does this 'grab' differ from the standard action Grab attack that anyone can do? In particular, the restriction on the size of the target is absent from the power. Can my gnome fighter grab a dragon with his grappling strike?

Related community discussions:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Subject
Is 'Grappling Strike' different from a stock Grab attack?

Discussion Thread
 Response (Support Rep)03/31/2010 07:00 AM
Hello [Tichrimo],

1. Does this 'grab' differ from the standard action Grab attack that anyone can do?

A. It's an exception to the rule, so yes a gnome can grab a dragon until the end of their next turn.

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

The hybrid rules state, "You can wield the implements of both classes, and you can use the implement powers from either class (and from those classes' paragon paths) through the implements of either class." (PH3 pg. 135)

How does this rule interact with Songblades and Songbows? They all have a property, "Bards can use this weapon as an implement for bard powers and bard paragon path powers."

For example, would a hybrid bard/warlock add the enhancement bonus from a Songbow to his eldritch blast?

Related community discussion: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Subject
Hybrids and songblades/songbows

Discussion Thread
 Response (Support Agent)03/31/2010 11:31 AM
Hello [Tichrimo],

As bards do not have Songbow's as an implement you are not able to use these cross class. Technically Bards have wands and Songbow's are magic items that have the property that allows them to be used as an implement by bard powers and bard paragon paths. Though this is technically the case it would not be unreasonable for a DM to allow you use of the items for hybrid class purposes. Happy Gaming!

Of course the answer below is no surprise to me, it could it not have reasonably been anything else: (edit:  whoops - added the word,  "not.")

CustServ:

QUESTION:   

Please settle a raging long-term debate.

When one is Dazed and uses an Action Point (legal per the FAQ), does one get to actually use the extra action granted by using the Action Point? Some say no - you use the Action Point but can take no extra action because of being Dazed. Some say yes, because, well, the action granted is extra, meaning above and beyond the one action you get from being Dazed.

ANSWER:

Dazed allows for you to take either a standard action, a move action, or a minor action on your turn (you can also take free actions). When you use your action point you can then also take either a standard action, a move action, or a minor action on your turn (you can also take free actions). Basically you can move twice, attack twice, move and attack, etc; so long as you are still following the Dazed rules.

Please let me know if you need anymore help!

Jamie

Online Response Crew

Of course the answer below is no surprise to me, it could it have reasonably been anything else:

Glad to hear that. Let's see if it makes it to the next PHB errata.
Question (100408-000147):
"The Bravura Presence Warlord Class Feature reads as follows: "When an ally who can see you spends an action point to take an extra action and uses the action to make an attack, the ally can choose to take advantage of this feature before the attack roll. If the ally chooses to do so and the attack hits, the ally can either make a basic attack or take a move action after the attack as a free action. If the attack misses, the ally grants combat advantage to all enemies until the end of his or her next turn."

If the Warlord's ally chooses to use Bravura Presence when using an Attack Power that has multiple attacks or targets multiple targets, which of the following scenarios best describes how the benefit or penalty applies?

1. Before the attack power is used, the ally declares their intent to use Bravura Presence. They make three attack rolls, hitting with two and missing with the third. Because they hit using the attack power, they then make a single basic attack.

2. Before the attack power is used, the ally declares their intent to use Bravura Presence. They make three attack rolls, hitting with two and missing with the third. Because they both hit and missed targets with the power, they make a single basic attack, but grant combat advantage until the end of their next turn.

3. When using an attack power gained from an action point, an ally declares before they make the second of what will be three attack rolls that they will be using Bravura Presence on that attack roll. That attack hits, and after the resolution of the Attack Power's third attack and any effects, they make a basic attack.

Thanks for your assistance!"

CS Response:
"Hello,

1. Before the attack power is used, the ally declares their intent to use Bravura Presence. They make three attack rolls, hitting with two and missing with the third. Because they both hit and missed targets with the power, they make a single basic attack, but grant combat advantage until the end of their next turn.

A. This is the correct one.

Please let me know if you need anymore help!"

Note that the number is 1 but the quoted scenario is actually my #2. Odd. Still, I find it an acceptable response.
The Great Gray Skwid Humblest Mollusk on the Net
Shouldn't the Ardent's Ire Strike power be "melee weapon" instead of "melee 1"??

Why is every other Ardent power "melee weapon" but Ire Strike & Mindlink Strike? Ardents don't use implements so they would not use "melee 1".

I could see if the power was for an implement class like Psion who has "melee 1" for "Force Punch" or Sorcerer who has "melee 1" for encounter power "One Blow, One Echo". "Melee 1" should be/and has been used only for implement non-close blast powers that need to be in melee range not for weapon attacks.

It is so the Implement attack powers get Implement attack bonuses and don't provoke AoOs.

Response (Support Agent)04/13/2010 07:02 AM

Unfortunately, there isn’t an official answer for the situation you describe. I’ve passed along this conversation to the game’s developers. Hopefully, we’ll see an update or FAQ entry covering it soon, but until then it’s up to the campaign’s Dungeon Master to decide. The DM is always the final arbiter on how they want their campaign to run. Have fun!
Shouldn't the Ardent's Ire Strike power be "melee weapon" instead of "melee 1"??

Why is every other Ardent power "melee weapon" but Ire Strike & Mindlink Strike? Ardents don't use implements so they would not use "melee 1".

Ire Strike doesn't use a weapon, why should the reach of the weapon help it?

"At a certain point, one simply has to accept that some folks will see what they want to see..." Dragon 387
Question:
The feat "Fight On" in Martial Power 2 allows a Warlord to use Inspiring Word one additional time each encounter. How does this interact with the Warlord multiclass feat "Student of Battle" (Player's Handbook, p208) which allows you to use Inspiring Word once per day?

Page Number: 142
Book Name: Martial Power 2

Response:

Subject
Fight On and Student of Battle

Discussion Thread
 Response (Support Agent)04/02/2010 12:23 PM
Brandon,

Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast! Unfortunately the Student of Battle [Multiclass Warlord] feat does not give you the Inspiring Word encounter power, it lets you use the power once per day. Because you do not have the Inspiring Word encounter power you do not meet the requirements for the Fight On feat.

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.

Ethan
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 10am-4pm PST / 1pm-7pm EST

Few people can see genius in someone who has offended them. -- Robertson Davies

Q: 

The Pit Fighter Paragon Path includes:

Dirty Fighting (16th level): Using tricks and techniques you have learned in constant battles, you know how to add an extra level of pain to every hit you deliver. Increase the damage you deal when using a weapon by a number equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum +1).

This would appear to work when using a weapon as an implement. True?

A:

You would gain the Wisdom modifier for when using a weapon as an implement. Please let me know if you need any more help!

Jamie

Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

Subject
Beast Protector vs. Opportunity Attacks

Customer (Robert Williams)04/20/2010 10:47 PM
Hello!

Hinging off a topic whether you may have multiple actions for Opportunity Attacks; I have a ranger in my group who has Beast Protector as a Feat:

Beast Protector

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Ranger, Beast Mastery class feature
Benefit: If an enemy makes a melee attack against your beast companion, doing so provokes an opportunity attack from you. If you are adjacent to your beast companion, you can make this attack even if you can’t reach the attacker (you attack the attacker’s reaching limb, for instance).

First published in Martial Power.

The question is; if multiple opponents attack the beast, is the Ranger then allowed to make multiple Opportunity Attacks?

Discussion Thread
 Response (Support Agent)04/21/2010 08:07 AM
Hello Robert,

Unfortunately, you will still only get one Opportunity attack. The reason behind this is that your Beast Protector feat only allows for one Opportunity action against an enemy. Please let me know if you need anymore help!

Customer (Robert Williams)
Hello!

Hinging off a topic whether you may have multiple actions for Opportunity Attacks; I have a ranger in my group who has Beast Protector as a Feat:

Beast Protector

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Ranger, Beast Mastery class feature
Benefit: If an enemy makes a melee attack against your beast companion, doing so provokes an opportunity attack from you. If you are adjacent to your beast companion, you can make this attack even if you can’t reach the attacker (you attack the attacker’s reaching limb, for instance).

First published in Martial Power.

The question is; if multiple opponents attack the beast, is the Ranger then allowed to make multiple Opportunity Attacks?

I think their answer is accurate only in the narrowest possible technical sense, but very misleading.

You would still get one opportunity attack per creature's turn (except your own turn).

There is nothing in this feat that restricts it to once per round.

So if four enemies each attack your beast on their own turn, you would get four opportunity attacks.

If the first three each use a held action to attack your beast when the fourth one does, then all four would attack in one creature's turn (the fourth enemy's turn) and thus you would only get one opportunity attack. And that is when their answer is correct. But how often does your DM do something like this?

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
I'm the DM, and I've have to say I do that rarely if ever!

I'm sure it's been discussed to death in other forums, but I'm really not comfortable with the scenario of allowing multiple OA's *in addition to* the PC's own actions.

EG: This power could be unleashed on x12.. 14... 100 (obviously unlikely, but not impossible) opponents, outside of the PC's own turn. It goes into the realm of ridiculous. 

I'm sure it's been discussed to death in other forums, but I'm really not comfortable with the scenario of allowing multiple OA's *in addition to* the PC's own actions.

EG: This power could be unleashed on x12.. 14... 100 (obviously unlikely, but not impossible) opponents, outside of the PC's own turn. It goes into the realm of ridiculous. 

Except if you look at something like prismatic wall.  It attacks as an OA, and if 50 creatures try and pass though it, they should all be attacked.

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Simple answer:  Don't attack the beast.  There are plenty of feats that exist which cause situations where attacking a certain target is a terrible move that probably doesn't pay off (White Lotus Riposte?).  My usual complaint with such feats is that they do something awesome but a smart DM will rarely, if ever, provoke them.  If it's such a disadvantage to attack the beast -- and remember, all creatures know everything about conditions and reactions at all times, so there are no surprises -- then those creatures are going to split off and kill other things (or gank the Ranger responsible).

Many feats make doing certain actions bad dieas, and often do so jsut to limit the options of the DM (like marking).  No one forces the DM to take that action.
"Besides, pushing someone over a pit is still entirely 2D... it just becomes 3D rather quickly afterwards." ~ yesnomu "Mind you, that doesn't change the fact that the poor str-priest is cowering in the corner wondering what horrible thing it was that he did that makes daddy keep hitting him so much, but it's not like the nerf was senseless." ~ SanityFaerie

What makes you think they are "in addition" to the PC's actions?  They are OAs and follow the OA rules with one exception - you might get to attack even outside your reach.

That's it.  They don't give you "additional" OAs because nothing says they do.  You are still limited to one OA per creatures turn.  As normal.
Question:

Simply put, the question is if a monk multiclassed wizard to pick up staves as an implement can use an accurate staff to gain a +1 to hit on his monk implement powers.

2) If no to the above, can a monk hybrid wizard use an accurate staff to gain a +1 to hit on his monk implement powers?

3) If a staff is being used as a quarterstaff, it specifically says to treat it as a magic quarterstaff. Does this mean as the Magic Weapon +X (Quarterstaff) item - therefore it no longer count as any fancy type of staff it used to be before (Staff of Ruin +2, Accurate Staff of Ruin +2, etc, all become Magic Quarterstaff +2)

I apologize if I have just transferred my headache to you.

Answer:

There is no need to include the wizard in it. The monk has implement proficient with weapons he is proficient with. So yes a monk can take a superior staff implement if he takes the feat.

Jamie
Online Response Crew

Update:

When I then asked specifically if they're two names for the same object, the response was, "They are pretty much the same thing. Please let me know if you need anymore help!"

Vanished Lands - 3.5 Post-Apoc Low-Tech Low-Magic game .
Update again on Impleweapons:

Question:

Does this mean that a ranger multiclassed (or hybrided) wizard to use
implement staves could use a Staff of Ruin for twin strike (through staff
fighting to make it a double weapon), gaining the extra damage because the
property on the staff doesn't specify weapon attacks only?

Answer:

Yes, you would get the benefit. I think you may be confusing this here. The reason the monk/wizard hybrid cannot do this is because the monk can either use the Ki power or the weapons bonuses, but not both in the same attack. If you have both a magic ki focus and a magic weapon, you choose before you use an attack power whether to draw on the magic of the ki focus or the weapon. Your choice determines which enhancement bonus, critical hit effects, and magic item properties and powers you can apply to that power. You can’t, for example, use the enhancement bonus of your ki focus and the critical hit effect of your magic weapon with the same attack.
Hope this clears things up for you.
Vanished Lands - 3.5 Post-Apoc Low-Tech Low-Magic game .

There seems to be some confusion in my area about Line of Sight and creatures that are on the edge of effects which block line of sight.  I verbally asked customer service this question two separate times, and then sent the question via email.  Three separate CS agents all replied the same way

The Question:

This question is about how the line of sight rule works see pg 273 PHB.

Creature “O” is *inside* an effect which blocks line of sight. Assume the effect is the wizard power Stinking Cloud PHB 161, and this is occurring on a flat plain with no other obstructing features.

Can creature “O” who is on the edge of the effect see creature “Y”, or is creature O’s line of sight blocked? (see diagram).

X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X O        Y
X X X X X
X X X X X

Consider the controversy before responding:

View #1: Some say that when you draw a line from O’s square to Y’s that along its route it does not touch/pass though something which can block it. Thus O can see Y.

View #2: Some say because the line touches O’s square it means it can not see out of the cloud.

The Response:

Thank you for contacting us. If you look in your Players Handbook on page 273 it clearly answers this question. It states:

Line of Sight: To determine whether you can see a target, pick a corner of your space and trace an imaginary line from that corner to any part of the targets space. You can see the target if at least one line doesn't pass through or touch an object or an effect - such as a wall, a thick curtain, or a cloud of fog - that blocks your vision.

So in your example creature O can see creature Y. On the other hand creature Y cannot see creature O.

Don
Online Response Crew

Scotthere, I think the issue is if a power says something like "creatures within". My read would be that such creatures are subject to the effect, regardless of being in the outside square. For example, a creature on the periphery of a drow's cloud of darkness are not able to see out, even though what CS wrote is true.

In general, what they wrote is subject to interpretation as well. Why are we saying that there is a square for "O" that is not passing through the cloud when the line is drawn to "Y", but the line is somehow passing through the cloud in the opposite direction?

I would tend to go by the description of the power. Absent that, I would go by a general rule of thumb that a "cloud" that completely obscures will instead just be cover/concealment for targeting a creature on the periphery. For the creature in the periphery targeting something outside, it seems to vary by terrain feature and is likely a DM call.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Question:
On the CharOp DnD forums a question recently came up. It's in regards to whether the property on a "Weapon of Healing" (AV pg 72, originally called the "Mace of Healing") applies to a Cleric's "Healing Word" power (doesn't have Weapon keyword).

The issue is AV pg 56, which says that in order to get the properties of a weapon you have to actively use the weapon (and uses the example of a Cunning weapon). However, it's not clear what the intent is with the Weapon of Healing.

So to summarize: does Weapon of Healing's property apply to all your healing powers (including the power "Healing Word") or does it only apply to healing powers that use the weapon?

Answer:
Hello,

Yes, you can use the property of the weapon so long as you are wielding it. The property states "When you use a power that restores hit points to an ally, add an item bonus equal to this weapon’s enhancement bonus to the amount restored." This does apply for the healing word power.

Jamie
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

EDIT: See the bottom of this post.  CustServ changed their answer with the May 4th errata.

---

I had to follow up with CustServ on this question, since the first time they just quoted the PHB.  Here's the follow-up question and the answer:

Question:
Thanks for the help Jamie! I'm still not sure what you mean in the second part of my answer. Let me hopefully be more specific:

If I'm an Avenger, and I use "Angelic Alacrity" (Standard action, shift Dex and make an attack; from PHB2 pg 35), and I'm Slowed, do I:

A) Shift 2 and make an attack? -or-
B) Shift 7 and make an attack?

Answer:
Hi,

As Jaime had stated, if you are shifting, you can not move more than, in your example, 2 squares unless you are teleporting. So, when using Angelic Alacrity, you would shift 2 if slowed, then make your attack.

Hope this helps,

Andrew S.
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

---

EDIT: With the new errata released today (May 4th), I asked them if the errata changed the issue and then I gave them two specific questions:

Thank you for contacting us.

Your questions:
Q. Does this mean that if I Run I move 2+2=4 squares?
A. Yes, you get your run bonus after the move from your basic move.

Q. If I use Angelic Alacrity (I'm "using a power"), do I still move only 2?
A. You get your move (2), then your bonus from Angelic Alacrity

Hope this helps!

Andrew S.
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

That last one seems suspect. My understanding was that slow changes your speed, not the effect of powers. Hmm.

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

That last one seems suspect. My understanding was that slow changes your speed, not the effect of powers. Hmm.

Same thing I was thinking.  LoW and others have had this discussion, and it was pretty clear that Slowed affects your Speed trait.  Things that calculate distance without using your Speed aren't affected.
"Besides, pushing someone over a pit is still entirely 2D... it just becomes 3D rather quickly afterwards." ~ yesnomu "Mind you, that doesn't change the fact that the poor str-priest is cowering in the corner wondering what horrible thing it was that he did that makes daddy keep hitting him so much, but it's not like the nerf was senseless." ~ SanityFaerie

Today's update spelled that fact out explicitly.

You cannot benefit from bonuses to speed, although you can use powers and take actions, such as the run action, that allow you to move farther than your speed.

You cannot benefit from bonuses to speed, although you can use powers and take actions, such as the run action, that allow you to move farther than your speed.

Right.  So if a power says "shift up to your speed" you can shift only 2.  But if it says "shift 6 squares" you can shift 6.

Right.  So if a power says "shift up to your speed" you can shift only 2.  But if it says "shift 6 squares" you can shift 6.

That was my thought as well. Shift 6 = shift 6 when slowed. Shift speed = shift 2 when slowed. Boots of Speed when slowed would not increase your movement. Etc.

The ruling provided by CS seems off.

The ruling provided by CS seems off.

Yeah, I was a little surprised too.  In any case, with the errata today on Slow I sent out another query, just to see if they thought any differently now. 

I mentioned the errata and asked some specific questions:

Thank you for contacting us.

Your questions:
Q. Does this mean that if I Run I move 2+2=4 squares?
A. Yes, you get your run bonus after the move from your basic move.

Q. If I use Angelic Alacrity (I'm "using a power"), do I still move only 2?
A. You get your move (2), then your bonus from Angelic Alacrity

Hope this helps!

Andrew S.
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

Not too sure if they understand how Angelic Alacrity works or if I just phrased it wrong, but the answer seems clear anyways.  I'll update the post up above as well.
So I asked the following question:

I'm trying to figure out how damage types, keywords, and "extra damage" all interact.

Build, for purposes of the question: 16th level Half-Elf Avenger/Morninglord, Twin Strike Dilletante power, and the Painful Oath feat.

I have two frost weapons, one in each hand. I attack a monster with no relevant vulnerabilities or resistances with Twin Strike. I use the Frost Weapon's at will power to turn all the damage to Cold damage. My first attack hits, and I apply Painful Oath.

My normal damage with the attack is, let's say, 20 damage. Because of the Frost weapon, it's 20 cold damage. Painful Oath deals an "extra" 5 "radiant and necrotic".

Morninglord's 16th level feature reads:

Whenever you hit with a power that has the radiant keyword, the target gains vulnerability 10 to radiant damage until the end of your next turn.

Does the target become vulnerable to Radiant Damage?
1. Did I do radiant damage to the target?
2. Does the attack have the radiant keyword?
3. Are the answers to 1&2 definitionally linked?

I then added the following "clarification" to attempt to make sure I got an answer to the real questions

At the risk of confusing things further...

The attack may not have done radiant damage, because the Cold Weapon's "changes the damage type" could have changed the damage type. That would sidestep the actual question I'm trying to get answered, but it is a possibility with this setup.

If it does radiant damage, it still might not have the radiant keyword. No rules text anywhere that I know of actually says that doing "extra" damage adds the keyword. This IS what I'm actually trying to get answered.

(Extra damage being outside the original damage bundle would hint that it can double-activate vulnerabilities, which is not true as far as I know. But I don't know if it being inside the overall damage bundle (and thus one chunk of damage as far as resistances and vulnerabilities are concerned) means that it adds the damage keywords to the overall damage bundle)

And I got the following answer
Hi Douglas,

Thank you for contacting us. This is a good question. 

So first off, using the Frost weapon in the way you have described would indeed negate the Necrotic and Radiant Damage.

To answer the real question:

1) You you deal extra radiant and necrotic damage equal to your Wisdom modifier.
2) the power does gain the keyword . anytime you do a damage type (Necrotic, Radiant etc..) that type gets added as a keyword to the power. That being said it does not mean that all damage done by that power is that kind of damage. So in answer 1 I have let you know that you will be specifically doing that amount of radiant damage.
3) they are linked "definitionally " 

I hope this has answered your question. please let me know if there is more clarification needed.

I followed up my question to make absolutely sure I understood the answer:
Ok, the followup to make sure I've got it...

I trade out the Frost weapons for a Rending Double-axe, and buy a large collection of level 7 Frozen Whetstones and some Glove of Ice. I then take the feat Lasting Frost.

To recap, assuming I use a Whetstone every battle...

All my attacks deal +2 "extra" cold damage, from the Frozen Whetstone. My first hit each turn deals Wis_Mod "extra" radiant&Necrotic damage from Painful Oath.

I twin-strike a monster with no relevant resistances or Vulnerabilities, and both attacks hit.

1) I do cold damage via the Frost Whetstone. Does this give my attack the Cold Keyword?
2) Does Lasting Frost then give the monster a Cold Vulnerability.

a) I do radiant damage via Painful Oath. Does this give my attack the Radiant Keyword?
b) Does Burning Radiance then give the target a Radiant Vulnerability?

1) I do cold damage via the Frost Whetstone. Does this give my attack the Cold Keyword?

A. Yes, it takes on the key word of the damage type added to the attack.

2) Does Lasting Frost then give the monster a Cold Vulnerability.

A.Yes. The vulnerability is added.

a) I do radiant damage via Painful Oath. Does this give my attack the Radiant Keyword?

A. Yes. Same as above

b) Does Burning Radiance then give the target a Radiant Vulnerability?

A. Yes. See above.

So as clear an answer as I can get... adding "extra" damage does add the relevant keywords, but elemental weapons may confuse the issue.  According to Don and Andrew.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

I think you'll find that any time you deal typed damage, the keyword for that is added to the power. Even when its optional damage to a Aftereffect of a Secondary Attack. ;)
"At a certain point, one simply has to accept that some folks will see what they want to see..." Dragon 387

Subject
Spirit Companion and Line of Effect

Discussion Thread
 Response (Support Agent)05/12/2010 01:26 PM
Hello

Here are the answers I found:

1) Does the spirit companion need to stay within line of effect? For example, if you fall in a 10ft well and can't see your spirit companion, does it go away?
A: The spirit companion would dissappear.
2) Does the spirit companion have a range it can be away from you? The only range listed is the range you can summon it.
A: As long as you can retain line of sight to it then not real limit
3) Can you see through the spirit's eyes or otherwise know what it's seeing when you're not making an attack?
A: If it does not say you can, then you cannot.

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. ..."onClickUnsafeLink(event);">Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please ..."onClickUnsafeLink(event);">click here.

Jamie
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 10am-4pm PST / 1pm-7pm EST

Auto-Response05/12/2010 01:15 PM
Your message has NOT been submitted yet.

To receive immediate help, please check out the answer(s) listed below. If there are no answers listed, or the suggested answers do not help you, please click the "Send Email" button below, if available.
 Customer 05/12/2010 01:15 PM
The spirit companion is very confusing as the spirit keyword and conjuration have some conflicting rules.
1) Does the spirit companion need to stay within line of effect? For example, if you fall in a 10ft well and can't see your spirit companion, does it go away?
2) Does the spirit companion have a range it can be away from you? The only range listed is the range you can summon it.
3) Can you see through the spirit's eyes or otherwise know what it's seeing when you're not making an attack?
Subject: Killing a Familiar Mount

Question:
Customer     05/23/2010  03:22 PM
The feat "Familiar Mount", in Dragon  Magazine 382, states that: "If the familiar takes damage equal to 5 +  one-half your level or more, it returns to its normal size and to  passive mode."

There's some discussion on the forums as to  whether that is meant to be in one attack, or whether it's total?  In  other words, does it act like a Shaman's spirit, or is that the  familiar's hit points?

Answer:
Response (Support Agent)     05/23/2010  07:13 PM
Hi,

Thank you for  contacting us.  The ritual "Familiar Mount" allows the you to change  your familiar into a large creature and it is in active mode for the  duration of 12 hours, and is able to sustain a certain amount of damage  before being forced back to it's normal and passive mode.  The feat  "Familiar Mount" is meant to last for 12 hours.  Your familiar will  remain in this state for the full duration of 12 hours unless:
- You  end the ritual by returning the familiar to it's normal size and  passive mode with a minor action
- Or the familiar takes damage  equal to 5 + one-half your level or more.

This means that if  during the 12 hour period that your familiar is in active mode and Large  size, it takes 5 + one half your level or more damage, it will return  back to its normal size and passive mode.

I hope this information  is useful.  Please let me know if you need anymore help!

Kelly
Online Response Crew

Follow-up Question:
Customer     05/25/2010  08:29 PM
Thanks Kelly.  Could you confirm  whether that's:
1. 5+1/2 level hit points of damage in one hit? (like  Shaman spirit)
2. 5+1/2 level hp total? (like normal hp: your hp  decrease with each hit)

I ask because while I *think* you're  trying to say #2, you never actually state that.

To be more  clear: if your familiar mount has 14 hit points, and it takes 2 hits  each for 10 damage, is the familiar either (option 1) still alive -or-  is it (option 2) dead?

Follow-up Answer:
Hello,

To clarify, as  written the familiar has to take that damage total. Not just in one hit.  However, I can see how someone may question the intent, therefore I’ve  passed along this conversation to the game’s developers.  Hopefully,  we’ll see an update or FAQ entry covering it soon, but until then it’s up to  the campaign’s Dungeon Master to decide.  The DM is always the final  arbiter on how they want their campaign to run.  Have fun!

Sam
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

Subject: Using a crossbow as your Arcane Implement for a Wizard.  This came about as a brainstorming thread about how to get both Psychic and Thunder keywords on your Wizard powers.

Question:

Customer  05/27/2010 06:44 AM
In Dragon Magazine 381 there is a feat called "Crossbow Caster". It states:

(Prerequisite: Artificer
Benefit: You can use a crossbow as an implement for your artificer powers and artificer paragon path powers.)

I have a PC that is a Wizard who would like to use a crossbow as an implement. Is it possible to take Arcane Implement Proficiency in order to use a crossbow as an implement?

The wording for Arcane Implement Proficiency (from Arcane Power) is:

(Prerequisite: Any arcane class
Benefit: Choose a kind of implement associated with any arcane class. You can use that kind of implement with your arcane powers.)

Thanks!

Answer:
Response (Support Agent) 05/27/2010 07:56 PM
Hi,
Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, a Wizard would not be able to use a crossbow as an implement when taking the feat "Arcane Implement Proficiency". Even though the feat "Crossbow Caster" does allow an Artificer to use a crossbow as an implement, you must be able to take that feat in order to benefit from it. As a Wizard, you would not be able to take that feat and so you would not be able to benefit from is and use a crossbow as an implement using these feats.

I hope this information is useful. Please let me know if you need anymore help!

Kelly
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

Follow-up Question:
Customer  05/27/2010 08:44 PM
Thanks Kelly. If the problem is not having that feat, then that brings up the next follow-up question...

If a Wizard PC takes the multi-class feat for Artificer, then takes the "Crossbow Caster" feat (so that he can use Crossbows as an implement for Artificer powers), can he *then* take the "Arcane Implement Proficiency" feat and use a magical crossbow as an implement for all his arcane powers (including his Wizard powers)?

Follow-up Answer:

Response (Support Agent)  05/28/2010 08:16 AM
Hello,

You bring up a great point. You would need to multi-class artificer, then take the Crossbow Caster feat. You are 100% correct.

If anything else pops up, please let us know and good gaming!

Andrew S.
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

The question (q.v. DMG2 pp. 27-33):

Pretty straightforward question -- can a companion character second wind, or is he fully reliant upon external healing? The section in DMG2 doesn't really say one way or the other.

The answer (from Jamie):

Unless otherwise noted in the statistics block of a monster or a nonplayer character, this action is available only to player characters. This would definitely be up to the DM to rule one way or another.

Thundering Howl and Polearm Momentum [Incident: 100601-000118]

Here's what I wrote:

Is it possible to exploit the following combination of effects:

a)  the barbarian attack power "Thundering Howl" (Primal Power, p. 13)
b)  the item Rushing Cleats (Adventurer's Vault, p. 130)
c) the feat  Polearm Momentum (Martial Power, p. 138)

Since the power has the  weapon keyword, every effect of the power, including the blast on a hit,  should technically add the weapon effects, i.e. add one square to the  push with Rushing Cleats, and knock prone with Polearm Momentum.

I  doubt this synergy is intended but if you give your go-ahead, my  barbarian would be happy to use  it. :-)

And here's their answer (my emphasis):

Thundering Howl and Polearm Momentum [Incident: 100601-000118]

Greetings [...],

It is possible to combine the effects listed. Thundering Howl's Hit states: "1[W] + Strength modifier damage. You then  howl in a blast 3 that includes the target. Each enemy in the blast  takes 1d6 thunder damage and is pushed 1 square."
Push is the keyword  in Thunder Howl for Rushing Cleats to give it's bonus to Thunder Howl.

Polearm  Momentum would also apply to the above situation because of the  following: the targets are moving 2 or more squares and Thunder Howl  contains the 'weapon' keyword.
OK, I buy that as far as the Rushing Cleats are concerned, but Polearm Momentum applies specifically to the target of the attack - and Thundering Howl only has one target, and that is the one that takes the initial hit damage and has to be in "melee weapon" range.
======= Balesir
OK, I buy that as far as the Rushing Cleats are concerned, but Polearm Momentum applies specifically to the target of the attack - and Thundering Howl only has one target, and that is the one that takes the initial hit damage and has to be in "melee weapon" range.

The secondary attack has multiple targets.

Nothing say's it needs to be within melee weapon range for Polearm Momentum.

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

The secondary attack has multiple targets.

I can see that you could interpret it that way, but that's not what it says.  In fact the blast is described as having to "include the target".

Nothing say's it needs to be within melee weapon range for Polearm Momentum.

I didn't intend to say that it does - I was just trying to be clear about who the "target" of the power is.  Could you interpret the 'blast'* as a Secondary Attack with targets of its own?  Yes, and that may even be the intent, but it's not written that way in the power.

*: I note that it doesn't even say "close blast" - does that mean that if you use a reach weapon the blast doesn't need to be adjacent to the Barb?  I would say it does indeed mean that - in which case Rushing Cleats would arguably not work either, as it applies to 'close and melee attacks' only.

======= Balesir
I asked about weapon properties in the off-hand, given some passive abilities like Wolfen's.

Question:
The text on AV pg 56 states:
"Unless specified otherwise, a property affects only the weapon to which it’s attached. For example, a +2 cunning dagger, which bestows a –2 penalty to an enemy’s saving throws against your weapon powers, affects only powers that are delivered using that weapon. You couldn’t hold the weapon in your off-hand and gain the benefit of the property on powers delivered using a main weapon."

Believe it or not, this is still confusing for some people on the forums. Does it matter if you're actively making an attack or not? Or rather, could you explain for the following specific weapons if you would get their property if you held them in the off-hand:

1. Wolfen Weapon (from Dragon 364): "Property: You ignore the Perception penalty while sleeping."

2. Wicked Fang (from Dungeon 160): "Property: Whenever you use a power with the weapon keyword that deals ongoing damage, increase that ongoing damage by an amount equal to the weapon’s enhancement bonus."

Answer from CS:
Greetings,

Good questions. A weapons property will take effect at the appropriate time. That time depends on the weapon and it's property. Following all the rules in the Adventure's Vault on pg 56 means you have to have the weapon in your main hand.

So Wolfen Weapon would need to be in the main hand to receive the Perception check bonus.

And Wicked Fang would need to be in the main hand and being used for the attack.

I hope that helps clear things up.

Chase
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast

Sign In to post comments