1001 rules holes

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not surprising with a total ground-up system rebuild, quite a few things look like they've been stuffed up. Oh well. I may as well share my pain.

*Cleave. You only have to hit the primary target, and the cleave damage to the second target is automatic. In other words put a mook with AC 10 next to a dragon with Armour Class 57 and if you can hit the mook, the other guy takes cleave damage.

*Mirror Image--gives you a +6 bonus to AC, which goes down 2 whenever you miss (since you hit an image). A fighter with Armour Piercing Thrust ignores mirror image, since they get to attack Reflex not AC. Same for most of the rogue powers.

*Rogues have better chance to-hit than Fighters, since their base attack is the same and most of their attacks go for the often-poorer Reflex (with weapon to-hit bonus to AC included for good measure).

*Half-elves make GREAT hammer fighters, thanks to their +2 CON. We'd expect that from reading fantasy literature, right? We all know that a half-elf should have favourite weapon: hammer?? Not a bow or anything like that??
(They do at least get to be better with x-bows...see below)

*Steady Shooter (feat, page 206)--get +3 to damage with an x-bow if you don't move for a round. Great except...the prerequisite is Con 15+. WTF??

*Ettins ..these are speed 6 like most creatures but thanks to their second head giving them Dual Actions, get two move actions a round. A second head, apparently, lets you run twice as fast. Sigh.

*Being on fire: a number of powers (e.g. fire archons) deal continuing fire damage, save ends. The character keeps fighting while ON FIRE, and it either goes out or it doesn't. There's no combat option that lets you reroll a failed save -its up the GM to houserule if you can roll around on the ground. Probably not, since it takes a L16 ranger power to reroll a save.

*LG deities seem to be allowed to have LG and Unaligned clerics, but not Good clerics.

*Hurl Through Hell (Warlock 29).--a fiery pit appears under your foe, he falls in, goes to hell for a round, and gets 7d10 damage. The weird thing here is,if he doesn't go to hell, he still gets half damage!

*I liked Eladrin, mostly, up until I got to the MM entry where there were "Ghaeles of Winter". **ouch pun damage**

Also, forget sneaky halfling rogues. Most of the rogue powers do various multipliers of weapon (W) damage, so ideally you want large-ness or Powerful Build to pump up the damage (bugbears or minotaurs with super-size rapiers are pretty much the way to go).

Sandulax

You must have a +15 knowledge to see all these things... Oh wait, you can't have that anymore.

Great job picking these out.

Your insight on Cleave really makes me quite upset about the fighter in our group.
pst or you can take a 1st level cleric encounter power to get an extra save at a huge bonus.

So in 3.x people can be hit with alchemists fire or ACID and continue fighting.

The cleave thing is kinda stange but think of it as the axe or what ever the hell weapon is goes through one and connects with another but at a slower force due to being bounced off another thing.

I got to love people who try to pick apart the rules and make it seem dumb. IF you want to do that keep it to yourselves and let others who actually like the new system (dispite all the unexplained thing).
Cleave was meant to work this way. With it, you can do a lot of damage (with the main part of the effect) to a 1HP-minion, and then cleave into the boss for half you str mod
Cleave was meant to work this way. With it, you can do a lot of damage (with the main part of the effect) to a 1HP-minion, and then cleave into the boss for half you str mod

Or full Str mod (with a 2h weapon), which is more likely - 1h weapon users may wish to choose another at-will instead.
Actually, the spillover damage dealt by Cleave is always equal to your Strength modifier. You guys are thinking of Reaving Strike, which is a different move altogether.
*Rogues have better chance to-hit than Fighters, since their base attack is the same and most of their attacks go for the often-poorer Reflex (with weapon to-hit bonus to AC included for good measure).

*Being on fire: a number of powers (e.g. fire archons) deal continuing fire damage, save ends. The character keeps fighting while ON FIRE, and it either goes out or it doesn't. There's no combat option that lets you reroll a failed save -its up the GM to houserule if you can roll around on the ground. Probably not, since it takes a L16 ranger power to reroll a save.

*Hurl Through Hell (Warlock 29).--a fiery pit appears under your foe, he falls in, goes to hell for a round, and gets 7d10 damage. The weird thing here is,if he doesn't go to hell, he still gets half damage!

*Rogues may have better chances to hit, but fighters will do more damage and take more abuse. The game is focusing more on combinations of classes, not on the 1 vs 1 style of the older editions.

*I'm not following what you say. At the end of every turn you get a chance to roll to save for every effect on you that allows it. If you fail to put out the fire on one round, you'll take another tick of damage and get to try and save again. Repeat until successful save or dead. There are also several powers (mainly cleric/paladin/warlord) that grant an ally a chance to make a save against one (or more depending on the power) effect currently affecting them.

*The target manages only to get burned by the fire but climb out of the pit (or dodge) before it closes back up. I don't see this being too crazy... also, consider it an abstraction.
@OrcishLibrarian

well, to be honest, I didn't really thought at all on this one.

Keeping low AC minions near a so high AC big dragon that you find it better to target the minions and then cleave the dragon seems.... stupid ?

If you can't beat the dragon's AC, you'd better not bee fighting it.

So, I don't see where the hole is
*I'm not following what you say. At the end of every turn you get a chance to roll to save for every effect on you that allows it. If you fail to put out the fire on one round, you'll take another tick of damage and get to try and save again. Repeat until successful save or dead. There are also several powers (mainly cleric/paladin/warlord) that grant an ally a chance to make a save against one (or more depending on the power) effect currently affecting them.

Not to mention the simple possibility of an adjacent ally spending a standard action and passing a DC 15 Heal check to give you either another save right then or +2 on one of your choice when your next end of turn comes up...
*Cleave. You only have to hit the primary target, and the cleave damage to the second target is automatic. In other words put a mook with AC 10 next to a dragon with Armour Class 57 and if you can hit the mook, the other guy takes cleave damage.

While this technically is an exploit, it's power is questionable, especially at higher levels. Since the extra damage is equal to your Str mod, it's going to cap at about 9 dmg by the high-20's. Those rounds you're spending slicing mooks and dealing low damage to your main target are rounds you aren't concentrating your damage or using your debuff/tactical powers on the real heavy hitter(Elites and Solos). Even assuming the boss doesnt simply keep the mooks away from him, your going to run out of Cleave targets long before you make a real dent in his HP.

*Mirror Image--gives you a +6 bonus to AC, which goes down 2 whenever you miss (since you hit an image). A fighter with Armour Piercing Thrust ignores mirror image, since they get to attack Reflex not AC. Same for most of the rogue powers.

True, but the attacks that hit Reflex are similar to powers that hit AC in flavor only. They work in similar fashion to Fireball and Flamestrike mechanically, both of which shouldnt have any impact on AC anyway.

Also true. All but a small handfull of mobs have a Ref def lower than their AC, though most of those have a difference of <4. The trade-off, however, is that the Fighter is going to hit for similar damage and effect, but often hits multiple enemies.
The rogue is meant to hit and hit hard, thats why he's a striker. The fighter is still a defender (even if the label is a bit ill-fitting); he's meant to control his area of the battlefield.

*Half-elves make GREAT hammer fighters, thanks to their +2 CON. We'd expect that from reading fantasy literature, right? We all know that a half-elf should have favourite weapon: hammer?? Not a bow or anything like that??

Hammer or no, I'll agree with you regarding the Half-Elves recieving a +2 to Con. The truth of the matter though, is that they strived to have each of the phb races have a unique array of stat adjustments. Since the Halfling gained the +Dex and +Cha, the Half-elf was saddled with +Con.
Personally, I would have preferred they recieve the same +2 to any that humans recieved.

*Steady Shooter (feat, page 206)--get +3 to damage with an x-bow if you don't move for a round. Great except...the prerequisite is Con 15+. WTF??

Goofy as heck, I'd agree. This was done, I'd imagine, in the name of balance. It encourages characters to have decent secondary and tertiary statsand not just dump all your points into 1 stat. Some feats, such as Astral Fire (13 Dex, muh?) suffer from this. Overall, I agree with the philosophy, even if some of the particulars may make you scratch your head.

*Ettins ..these are speed 6 like most creatures but thanks to their second head giving them Dual Actions, get two move actions a round. A second head, apparently, lets you run twice as fast. Sigh.

Eh. Considering the bizarre and abstract way time works within a turn to begin with, this doesnt seem a huge a stretch. You can just chalk it up to a greater ability to coordinate twice as efficiently as another creature thanks to the second head. Afterall, each character in a turn has a full 6 seconds to respond to the actions of those who have acted already; even if said actions shouldnt have chronologically occured yet. :P Mechanics are mechanics.

Almost all status-effects work the same way, the flavor notwithstanding. Reasonably, unless you allow all other status-effects another free way to make an additional save (Inducing vomit to negate poisons, jogging in place to negate cold/slow effects, etc) there is no reason to nerf one element over the others. If the inability to stop-drop-and-roll threatens your game, you can change the flavor a bit: imagine the ongoing damage as blistering burns that just keep hurting rather than active flames.

*LG deities seem to be allowed to have LG and Unaligned clerics, but not Good clerics.

Page 62 of the PHB says that you may be of any alignment to be a cleric of an UnAligned deity. Also, if you yourself are unaligned, you may be a cleric of any deity. It's a special property of being unaligned, both as a deity and a cleric.

Flavor it however you like for the half-damage. Perhaps the flames errupting from the fiery pit singe the victim even if they avoid falling in. Perhaps the tangible darkness and evil from merely being the target of such a spell taxes your mental and physical reserves. It's all in how you imagine it.

*I liked Eladrin, mostly, up until I got to the MM entry where there were "Ghaeles of Winter". **ouch pun damage**

Alas, there is no save vs pun damage.

Also, forget sneaky halfling rogues. Most of the rogue powers do various multipliers of weapon (W) damage, so ideally you want large-ness or Powerful Build to pump up the damage (bugbears or minotaurs with super-size rapiers are pretty much the way to go).

Since nearly all the rogue's abilities are Dex-based, the minotaur is not the most optimized choice. Bugbears do make excellent combat rogues however. The halfling's bonus to Thievery and Cha gives them a leg-up on trapsmithing and powers such as Sly Flourish, Positioning Strike, etc. I'd say that neither on is strictly betterthan the other, just different.

All in all not meant as a contradiction to you, just a different point of view.
I don't think there's any problem with LG deities refusing G clerics and vice-versa... LG and G are now completely different alignments; the differences between them, as far as I can tell, are greater than they were back in 3e. I wouldn't expect a deity to accept a cleric whose moral and ethical philosophy was different from (or even at odds with) its own.

The DMG mentions that a trick like this doesn't work as the ac 10 mook has to be so many level below you that he doesn't count for getting any other effects of your powers beyond damaging the mook
I haven't lost my mind I've simply misplaced it
So what if you hit your own party member and Cleave into the low-hp monster with high defenses?
Is that an optimal use of your action?
So what if you hit your own party member and Cleave into the low-hp monster with high defenses?

Then you're a traitor and your party kills you for being in cahoots with the enemy.... At least I'd think...
The "on fire" thing irked me as well. One of my players asked if he could roll on the floor to put it out. I let him spend a standard action to give himself a save, in addition to his free save. This gave him an extra chance at succeeding, and slowed him down. It worked for me.

Poe's Law is alive and well.

What does the Half-Elves +2 to Con have to do with Hammers? do they get a bonus to dammage for higher con or something?

Given how PC hit points compare to monster hit points, along with how primary Cleave damage compares to secondary Cleave damage, you will murder your entire party (including all their healing surges) and then the monster, with three-quarters of its hit points remaining, will eat you for breakfast.
Ettins ..these are speed 6 like most creatures but thanks to their second head giving them Dual Actions, get two move actions a round. A second head, apparently, lets you run twice as fast. Sigh.

Small price to pay for the potential hilarity you get when fighting an ettin. Also, their dual actions don't take place on the same initiative count (unless they roll the same), which further lessens the significance of this particular issue.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

What does the Half-Elves +2 to Con have to do with Hammers? do they get a bonus to dammage for higher con or something?

Hammer feats and powers utilize Con.

Halflings should have gotten a Str penalty and other stats to make up for it. I don't get the Cha bonus, though. Half-Elves should have been Dex/Cha.

Hammer feats and powers utilize Con.

there is ONE feat. from the Paragon tier called Hammer Rhythm and Its pretty good.. but whatever.
Which should let you jump higher, a long jump or a high jump? And which is it in D&D? ;)
Which should let you jump higher, a long jump or a high jump? And which is it in D&D? ;)

Wow... that's...

Rolling 20 on High Jump: Jump 4ft up.

Rolling 20 on Long Jump: Jump 4 squares across, one square up. So your feet clear 5ft.

Wtf...? Gonna have to change that.

The only benefit to using High Jump is that you can add your height + arm reach to grab something...
there is ONE feat. from the Paragon tier called Hammer Rhythm and Its pretty good.. but whatever.

Check out Crushing Blow and Skullcrusher, as well as some non-hammer-specific Fighter powers. And perhaps most importantly, you need it for the vital Bludgeon Mastery.
The only benefit to using High Jump is that you can add your height + arm reach to grab something...

And shouldn't you be able to do something similar (though perhaps not using your full height) during a long jump? Some skills seem a little rigidly defined (there seems to be a lack of circumstantial mods for skills as well).
Not surprising with a total ground-up system rebuild, quite a few things look like they've been stuffed up. Oh well. I may as well share my pain.

I think this is more like, if you're swinging at a minion, the guy next to it doesnt really try to dodge because you're not attacking HIM

Rogues are experts at getting hits in when and where they're not expected, thats' one of their roles.

I think the Con refers to the ability to relax and snipe.

Additionally there are a lot of other powers that are 'off stat'- probably to make wierd stat variations somewhat useful. There's a Wizard feat with Cha 13 as a prereq..

You know what's funny? Ongoing fire damage on something with fire resistance. They're on fire, but take no damage from it. They also rolled TERRIBLY so they were on fire for a LONG time

Unaligned clerics are willing to follow the law, wheras a good cleric is explicitly not lawful

The hell pit itself, if they dont fall in, still probably belches out firey doom
Any person with the time and inclination can come up with dozens upon dozens of these for ANY RPG SYSTEM out there.
In fact, Pyramid used to have a regular column called Murphy's Rules that pointed out all of the silly descriptions you could come up with by taking the literal definition of game rules.

Thank heaven most of the people playing the games have enough brain power to handle those situations when they occur. Although not all of them from the looks of these forums.

I don't have much of a problem with this. Do you realize how many minions your Cleaving fighter with an 18 Strength would have to drop to kill a 1st level character, let alone a dragon? But, if I encounter a permanently immobilized medium-sized adamantium golem, I guess I could break out my reach weapon and bag of rats....

Fair enough. It should probably be +6 bonus to all defenses against close attacks only.

I don't like this complaint because encounters are far too complex to generalize like this.

In my opinion, a +1 difference isn't something to complain about, especially if that +1 difference isn't part of an at-will power.

In 3.5, the Concentration skill was based on Constitution. Did you disagree with that too? I suppose you can house rule Con 15+ or Wis 15+.

Fair enough.

From Heal Skill (First Aid) on page 185: "Grant a Saving Throw: Make a DC 15 Heal check. If you succeed, an adjacent ally can immediately make a saving throw, or the ally gets a +2 bonus to a saving throw at the end of his or her next turn." I guess you need someone to help you put the flames out. Perhaps house rule a -5 or -10 penalty when giving yourself first aid this way.

I'm very unhappy with the alignments. It's the only thing I've house ruled so far. Paladins must be lawful good. Paladins and clerics must match alignment exactly. Worshippers must be within 1 step.

A little creativity can straighten this out. The planar rift open and disgorges hellfire onto your enemy.

Excellent original post.
If you're playing Dungeons & Dragons and having fun, then you're playing it correctly.
Fair enough. It should probably be +6 bonus to all defenses against close attacks only.

Minor caveat: 'Close attack' is now a game term that doesn't quite mean what you probably intend.

That said, Mirror Image does look a bit funny right now...as well as not particularly powerful sitting right next to Blur (+2 to all defenses for the encounter). I suppose you could have each image give +2 to both AC and Reflex -- not Fortitude or Will, though, unless somebody can suggest a good reason --, with one disappearing each time an attack that targeted one of those two defenses misses. (As it stands right now, if you manage to avoid an attack vs. Will, which the spell doesn't even impede in the slightest? Poof goes one image...)
Minor caveat: 'Close attack' is now a game term that doesn't quite mean what you probably intend.

That said, Mirror Image does look a bit funny right now...as well as not particularly powerful sitting right next to Blur (+2 to all defenses for the encounter). I suppose you could have each image give +2 to both AC and Reflex -- not Fortitude or Will, though, unless somebody can suggest a good reason --, with one disappearing each time an attack that targeted one of those two defenses misses. (As it stands right now, if you manage to avoid an attack vs. Will, which the spell doesn't even impede in the slightest? Poof goes one image...)

Your minor caveat was absolutely correct. I had spent too long writing up the rest of my post, so I goofed there. I think you offered a very good alternative.
If you're playing Dungeons & Dragons and having fun, then you're playing it correctly.
Alas, there is no save vs pun damage.

You mean Pun Defense.

Trouble is that Reflex is still the "duck and cover" save for explosion-type effects, like Fireball, which Mirror Image really shouldn't protect you against. I think the current situation where armor-piercing bullets can ignore your images is weird, but less weird than letting them jump on a grenade for you.
I don't have much of a problem with this. Do you realize how many minions your Cleaving fighter with an 18 Strength would have to drop to kill a 1st level character, let alone a dragon? But, if I encounter a permanently immobilized medium-sized adamantium golem, I guess I could break out my reach weapon and bag of rats....

actually, in the DMG, there's a specific passage that talks about using powers on enemies, and it says that they must be a valid threat to gain any ability or secondary benefits from the powers, and specifically mentions carrying around a bag of rats not being an option, if i remember correctly. I read it just the other night and had a bit of an amusing chuckle :P

I'll look it up later, unless someone can quote it for me before I get the chance to get home and look it up.
You mean Pun Defense.

I think it's an ongoing effect.
Trouble is that Reflex is still the "duck and cover" save for explosion-type effects, like Fireball, which Mirror Image really shouldn't protect you against. I think the current situation where armor-piercing bullets can ignore your images is weird, but less weird than letting them jump on a grenade for you.

And yet as written a Fireball that misses you for half damage will currently take out an image, while one that hits you in the face will not. Might as well provide some benefit (it's only a daily power with an inherently limited number of uses, after all) and keep the rules simple. ;)
Mirror Image should protect against all Melee and Ranged attacks, but not Area or Close Attacks. Ray of Frost targets Fort, but Mirror Image should still protect against that.

Mirror Image, with this change, is balanced again Blur because Mirror Image provides a much larger, albet temporary, bonus.

actually, in the DMG, there's a specific passage that talks about using powers on enemies, and it says that they must be a valid threat to gain any ability or secondary benefits from the powers, and specifically mentions carrying around a bag of rats not being an option, if i remember correctly. I read it just the other night and had a bit of an amusing chuckle :P

I'll look it up later, unless someone can quote it for me before I get the chance to get home and look it up.

If someone could post/give the page for that rule, I'd appreciate it; I was wondering if there was anything stopping a warlock from pulling out a rat, cursing it, and eldritch blasting it to activate his pact boon.

If by mook you mean minion, standing next to a Dragon, well, even level 4 minions tend to have higher ACs then 10. Even so, the damage done to the dragon is just the fighters strength bonus, and if it is a minion mean, well, one free hit on the dragon, cause the minion is dead after that.

Also, it this senerio would seem to indicate a bad set up, and poor monster playing on the part of the DM. Are we to imagine the dragon ordered it's mooks to stand in a row, with their arms up to protect the dragon?

The game is about rules and the rules that are exceptions to those rules. Page 11, simple rules, many exceptions.

However, there does seem to be some thinking applied to the issue. Instead of AC, the fighter is rolling against Reflex. If they hit, they hit. If they miss, an image is gone, and the AC bonus goes down. Since APT is a daily power, it's one way to remove an image easier, since for that attack, the +6 AC does't apply.

Since most melee attacks are against AC, I'm sure that's why they went with that over reflex, to make it most useful against the most kinds of attacks. If you want, add the house rule of having it give +6 to reflex as well.

Well, they are strikers. They aren't meant to be hitting every round, like a defender would. They are move in, attack move out. In a good encounter, they wouldn't always be doing damage every round, but maybe every other round. A good DM would have monsters recognize that the rogue is more danagerous then the fighter, and go after them.

*Half-elves make GREAT hammer fighters, thanks to their +2 CON. We'd expect that from reading fantasy literature, right? We all know that a half-elf should have favourite weapon: hammer?? Not a bow or anything like that?? (They do at least get to be better with x-bows...see below)

Kind of lost on this one, can you explain more?

Like someone else has pointed out, Con often is used as the basis for abilities that require concentration checks. Not sure why, other then often abilities were assigned that where under used for these things, so as to give them value.

It's Double Action, and Dual Brain, both seperate entries in there description. And monsters don't follow player rules anymore, and often have cheaty or bendy abilities. This is that. Double Action gives the ettin two of everything each turn. Dual Brain allows them to ignore dazed and stunned effects.

The part that should be changed is a higher reflex, because I would imagine that being able to do everything twice as fast as normal creatures gives you a much higher reflex.

I often see it as you take ongoing fire damage, and while that does give the image of the person being on fire, are they? First, it's magical fire, so would stop, drop and roll work? Second, who says they player can't, on their turn, do that, and maybe the DM would give a bonus to save? In effect, that player losses a turn for taking that action.

Eh, a bit weird, but not horrible. Personally, I found to many issues with the old alignement system, more so with experienced players, always looking for loop holes.

You got it backwards. It not Hurl through hell AND take 7d10 damage. It's take 7d10 damage, and then go to hell. There are two parts to the spell, both working on their own, or not in the case of a miss.

So, not really a rule hole.

Again, depends on the DM and the way they run things. If the game is set up to only be about doing damage, then sure. If not, a large bumpkin rogue may find themselves failing alot.
Again, depends on the DM and the way they run things. If the game is set up to only be about doing damage, then sure. If not, a large bumpkin rogue may find themselves failing alot.

Actually, optimized dagger rogues do more damage than rapier-users anyway.

I haven't red all the replies and maybe someone already answered this.
At p.269 of the PHB it clearly says that, at the end of each of your turn, you make a saving throw against any effect on you that a save can end
Here's one (until it's errata-ed):

Mage hand (the wizard cantrip) is a conjuration. According to RAW, enemies cannot pass through squares containing conjurations and (unless the power specifies otherwise) enemies cannot affect conjurations. So, a 1st level wizard can move use mage hand to block enemy movement. Combine with a first level flaming sphere, and you can block a 10' wide hallway so that only your allies can pass.
Sign In to post comments