Daily Powers: How many per day??

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there a limit to the number of Daily Powers a character can use on any given day?

Furthermore, would someone be kind enough to direct me to a chart and/or page number that this information is given? I have reviewed page 29 of the PHB and at first I thought the far right column listed the number of Daily Powers that could be used per day, but the title of that column is "Total number of known powers" or something to that effect. This doesn't necessarily mean to me that it is a daily [i]limit[i].

At first I assumed that a character could use any or all of his/her Daily Powers on any given day. But after reading the Wizard section of the PHB, it seems that I might have been mistaken.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you!!
"The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23
The chart you are speaking of is the correct one. At first level it should be 2/1/1/0.

Which translates to 2 "at-will" powers known, 1 "encounter" power known, 1 "daily" power known, and 0 "utility" powers known.

Since you only know 1 daily power, and you can only normally use a daily power once per day, you can use 1 daily power per day. If you know 2 daily powers, you can then use 2 daily power per day, each daily power being used once.
Page 29 is the go to page for this. Wizards can swap out memorized spells/daily powers for other ones but they are subject to the limits of that chart. So if I had 3 daily spells and 6 spells in my book I could use 2 of the dailies then decide that you know one of the others would be better and swap it out for the 3rd one. When I cast that then I would have no more daily spells left.

Of course also keep in mind you can use 1 daily magic item power if your in the heroic tier, 2 in the Paragon Tier, or 3 if your Epic. And that some of your utility powers might also be daily powers.
Thank you for replies!

I must be missing something though...

On page 158 it reads "You begin knowing two daily spells, one of which you can use on any given day."

So a wizard starts knowing 2 daily spells. The above quote would seem to suggest that he/she could only cast one of those daily spells per day. This would seem to follow what the chart on page 29 reads.

However, Larry the poster above said the following: "If you know 2 daily powers, you can then use 2 daily power per day, each daily power being used once." This would seem to contradict the quote on page 158, but seems to follow the logic that Daily Powers can be used once, and only once, per day, but not putting any limit on the number of different Daily Powers being used in a single day.

Which is the correct interpretation?
"The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23
In the case of the wizard, the class breaks the rule so-to-speak. The Wizard gets to know two daily powers per day (instead of one) but must still choose one of which to use.
Ahh...thank you

So to sum up, the right hand column of the chart on page 29 gives the total known Daily Powers for each class (except Wizard, which can know more) by level. It also gives the total number of Daily Powers that a character can use per day by level, regardless of class.

I sure wish they would have given us advancement charts for each class in their respective sections. I think this would have made the material easier to understand.

Thank you very much for all the help guys!!
Well, just to be clear: the 3rd value in the right hand column is for Daily Powers.

Also, page 28 has the exact wording on Daily Powers as the base rule (again, Wizards break that rule).

And I agree, I'd prefer to have each class have its own information.
You're right, I should have been more clear.

As a follow up question, are there any classes that can know more Encounter Powers at a given level than the chart on page 29 indicates? And, if so, does the number that the chart lists limit the number of Encounter Powers that can be used in a single encounter?

Hope that makes sense, lol.
I do not believe so. There are a couple of races and classes which give race/class encounter abilities which are not affected by the chart on parge 29. I also do not know of any class which knows two encounter powers at 1st level and must choose one of them, like the Wizards does with Daily Powers.
Ok, thanks a bunch for all your help!!
You're right, I should have been more clear.

As a follow up question, are there any classes that can know more Encounter Powers at a given level than the chart on page 29 indicates? And, if so, does the number that the chart lists limit the number of Encounter Powers that can be used in a single encounter?

Hope that makes sense, lol.

Hmm, Cleric gets a divine channeling power that is encounter as does the paladin.
Hmm, Cleric gets a divine channeling power that is encounter as does the paladin.

Yup, both of those are class features which are not affected by the chart on page 29.
So...

Level 5 Wizard knows 4 dailies. 1-4 of them are level 1, 1-2 of them are level 5.

Let us assume that Wizard has the simplist pattern: 2 level 1, 2 level 5.

She can cast 2 dailies per day.

In what combos?

• 1 level 1, 1 level 5?
  • 2 level 1s?
  • 2 level 5?

All of the above? or only the first two combos? Or?
A level 5 wizard can prepare a number of daily spells equal to the third value listed in the last column of the chart on page 29. In this case, this means 2 daily spells. If a 5th level wizards knows two 1st level dailies and two 5th level dailies, he can prep any two of the four (just not the same one twice).
A level 5 wizard can prepare a number of daily spells equal to the third value listed in the last column of the chart on page 29. In this case, this means 2 daily spells. If a 5th level wizards knows two 1st level dailies and two 5th level dailies, he can prep any two of the four (just not the same one twice).

I'm not saying you're wrong, but this sounds overpowered to me. Under the D&D tradition, I would limit the wizard to a 1st and a 5th, or two 1st levels. Two 5th levels seems wrong under Vancian constructions, but if you can show me how you get there, I'm game.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but this sounds overpowered to me. Under the D&D tradition, I would limit the wizard to a 1st and a 5th, or two 1st levels. Two 5th levels seems wrong under Vancian constructions, but if you can show me how you get there, I'm game.

Nothing seems to expressly prohibit this. Other classes are limited to 1 1st lv and 1 5th lv daily as these are all they know (so you don't really have a say in the matter). The game does not mention what happens if you happen to know more than 1 daily of a particular lv, so it does seem that a 5th lv wizard could prepare 2 different 5th lv daily spells.

Similarly, the slots make no mention of the maximum lv they can hold, just that they hold daily spells (and cannot hold the same spell more than once). :P
Nothing seems to expressly prohibit this. Other classes are limited to 1 1st lv and 1 5th lv daily as these are all they know (so you don't really have a say in the matter). The game does not mention what happens if you happen to know more than 1 daily of a particular lv, so it does seem that a 5th lv wizard could prepare 2 different 5th lv daily spells.

Nothing but the rules.

After an extended rest, you can prepare a number of daily and utility spells according to what you can cast per day for your level.

These limitations ARE both level based and slot based.

So in the aforementioned example, you can memorize a 1st level spell and a 5th level spell, or both your first level spells, but you CANNOT memorize both your fifth level spells, as that violates the rule for what you can cast per day for your level (a 5th level character cannot cast two 5th level daily powers).
So in the aforementioned example, you can memorize a 1st level spell and a 5th level spell, or both your first level spells, but you CANNOT memorize both your fifth level spells, as that violates the rule for what you can cast per day for your level (a 5th level character cannot cast two 5th level daily powers).

Your quote states nothing of the sort.

It simply says that I am limited by what I can cast each day. A 5th lv wizard can cast 2 dailies. Nowhere is it mentioned that these 2 dailies must be made up of at least 1 1st lv spell, or that I cannot prepare 2 5th lv daily spells.

Otherwise, how would your slots ever upgrade? For instance, I stop gaining new wizard-only daily slots at lv9. According to you, I would be limited to just 1 1st lv, 1 5th lv and 1 9th lv daily spell. At lv 15, I am allowed to swap in a new daily power. If I opt not to do so, but later manage to add new lv15 spells to my spellbook through other means (say via the expanded spellbook feat), by your interpretation, I would not be able to prepare any 15th lv daily spells because I have no 15th lv spell slots with which to fill.
Your quote states nothing of the sort.

It simply says that I am limited by what I can cast each day. A 5th lv wizard can cast 2 dailies. Nowhere is it mentioned that these 2 dailies must be made up of at least 1 1st lv spell, or that I cannot prepare 2 5th lv daily spells.

unfortunately... this is right...

probably in developer's mind it would work let u hoosing what first lev power use and what 5th level power use... but essentially this isn't stated... in the ecept on paragon class (if I don't wrong) they shown a table in which was indicated the power avaible per day... and here were indicated not only the number of power avaible but also the level of each power... unfortunately in the PHP there isn't that table but the one that only show how much power u have in total...

so without a faq or an house role a wizard of 5th level should cast 2 5th level daily spell...

PS: this is what roles literally say... than the good DM let his dummy wizard make so and let hi found something that for an illogical and strange reason could only be beaten by his first level daily power that he drop for using his 2 5th level power ^^ .... this is how I deal with my player when they try to rule against the master... and lokking at our early game this seem to work fine ^^
PS: this is what roles literally say... than the good DM let his dummy wizard make so and let hi found something that for an illogical and strange reason could only be beaten by his first level daily power that he drop for using his 2 5th level power ^^ .... this is how I deal with my player when they try to rule against the master... and lokking at our early game this seem to work fine ^^

The only 1st lv daily which seems to work equally well at all lvs appears to be sleep. The rest appear to be outdone mechanically by the higher lv dailies, which are effectively their upgrades.

And yep, this means that a 9th lv wizard with the expanded spellbook feat can prepare 3 5th lv daily spells.:D
And yep, this means that a 9th lv wizard with the expanded spellbook feat can prepare 3 5th lv daily spells.:D

confirmed too...

and also confirmed that i will kill my players if they try to do this ^^ or better... i let them do it... and than i'll kill them ^^ in the ridicoulous and embarassing way I should think ^^

PS: why not 3 level 9 daily spell? ^^
PS: why not 3 level 9 daily spell? ^^

Because I am apparently still stuck in 3e terminology where a 9th lv wizard can prepare up to 5th lv spells...:embarrass
Actually, one of the things that is making the wizard seem overpowered in this case is that you are neglicting retraining.

At 5th level when you gain acess to your 5th level daily powers, EVERY class can retrain 1 feat or power.

Most Characters will likely use their retraining at this level to snag a second 5th level daily power because they are superior to their first level ones. Similarly the wizard does not seem restricted from doing this and could infact have 3 of the 4 listed daily powers at level 5.

This case looks much more reasonable than the other way this is being talked about. Most classes will have two level 5 daily powers to use each day and the wizard will have 2 and 3rd one he can choose between. He will also have 1 remaining 1st level spell.
Actually, one of the things that is making the wizard seem overpowered in this case is that you are neglicting retraining.

Retraining does not let you exceed the original lv limit. This means that I can only swap out my 1st lv daily for another 1st lv daily, but not a 5th lv daily.
Titanium is right

This interpretation ultra-RAW you people are doing on the book is a mistake.

Look hermeneutics ********:

1)Premisse: Specific beats General
(Standart rule conflict solution)

2)Premisse: Some things are expressed some are tacit.
(That old argument: When it do not say you cannot... then you can do it. Or when it do not say you can do it... then you cannot.)

When the General Rule say you can do it... there must be a expressed specific rule saying you cannot do to beat the general.

When the General Rule say you cannot do it.... there must be a expressed specific rule saying you can do it to beat the general.

Especific rules beating the general rules cannot be tacit.
Especific rules going in the same way of the general rule(not contradicting) can be tacit.

And in this case there is no expressed specific rule to beat the general limitation... so its tacit... and then, do not work.

You need to prepare one of the 1st and one of the 5th... or two of the 1st.
(Look that the book also do not say that you can prepare 2 lvl 1 daily... it is tacit, and works because is in the same way of the general rule. Since you can retrain it, or pick a lower lvl spell... then you can also prepare. )
Is there a limit to the number of Daily Powers a character can use on any given day?

There is no hard-and-fast limit to the number of dailies you can use on any given day. The only limit is the number of dailies you have. Each power that can be used once per day can be used once per day. Sleep, for example, can only be cast once per day because it's a daily spell.

Furthermore, would someone be kind enough to direct me to a chart and/or page number that this information is given?

Since there is no set limit, this is not possible.

I have reviewed page 29 of the PHB and at first I thought the far right column listed the number of Daily Powers that could be used per day, but the title of that column is "Total number of known powers" or something to that effect. This doesn't necessarily mean to me that it is a daily limit.

The table on page 29 shows you the total powers known by category. At-will, encounter [attack], daily [attack], and utility. I added the [attack] on the end of encounter and daily because that's how they're written in the powers section of each class. Also, utility powers can be either daily or encounter powers, so I want to be sure to be as clear as possible.

At first I assumed that a character could use any or all of his/her Daily Powers on any given day. But after reading the Wizard section of the PHB, it seems that I might have been mistaken.

Each daily power can be used once per day--once between each extended rest.

As for the wizard, his spellbook just allows him to be more versatile. In effect, s/he knows twice as many daily [attack] and utility powers than any other class...just like he did in 3.5. Also, like in 3.5, s/he must choose which of the spells they wish to use on any given day. Basically, after each extended rest, the wizard must choose one of each pair of spells to be used that day. Take a look at page 143 of the DMG for a better table to see what level of spells a given level wizard can use. If you don't have the DMG, take a look at the table on the bottom of this excerpt. It's the same table.

At first I assumed that a character could use any Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you!!
I hope I was able to help!

@Dungeonrenter

Retraining won't allow you to replace a level 1 power for a level 5 power. Page 28, PH, states that "you can replace a power with another power of the same type...of the same level or lower..."

TBP
T
Take a look at page 143 of the DMG for a better table to see what level of spells a given level wizard can use. If you don't have the DMG, take a look at the table on the bottom of this excerpt. It's the same table.

perfect... that was the table i told about in previous post... I haven't given much attention to DMG so it passes after my eyes ^^'

according to this I think all problems are gone ^^
Nothing but the rules.

These limitations ARE both level based and slot based.

I quoted this post, but there are others which agree with your interpretation of the rules. So I went back and tried to review the rules from your point of view.

As written, I do not see a ruling which specifies what your can cast per day for your level. I only see two rules, specifically: The number of daily powers known and the wizard's ability to know more than 1 power in a given level. The line in the Wizard's section, "After an extended rest, you can prepare a number of daily and utility spells according to what you can cast per day for your level. You can’t prepare the same spell twice." is what is messing everyone up.

Now re-reading the rules I can see how someone can interpret that each level a wizard can cast one spell per level (i.e. 1 first level, 1 fifth level, etc). And I almost came straight back here to say, yes, this is what the Devs meant even though the rules are vague.

However, as I thought about the rules further, I don't think this is true. This is due to the ability to swap powers.

Per the PHB: Pg 28, Daily Powers, "At 15th, 19th, 25th, and 29th levels, you can replace any daily attack power you know from your class with a new daily attack power of your new level (or a daily attack power of a lower level, if you choose)"

So a Wizard at level 15 can swap out his 1st level power for a power equal to his level or lower. At 19th, he can do the same. Now the Wizard no longer has any 1st level powers.

There are 4 daily level 5 powers. Theoretically, the wizard can have 4 5th-level daily spells. Now a DM could rule that the Wizard's 1st level powers are now bound up into his 5th level powers, so he would get two choices from there. But then that would break the same rules as the other method, which you are saying doesn't work for that very reason.

The logic (and where I almost agreed) is that every other class can use their daily powers once each day and they have 1st, 5th, etc. But then those classes also have the ability to retrain. Which means another class could have 2 fifth level daily powers and could use them both. Therefore, the Wizard must have the same ability.

If I were to yank out a rule and suggest that it governs how many daily powers per day you can use, I'd say that it was page 29's chart. Since this chart would allow any class, after swapping powers, to maintain the same number of powers usable per day. Since a wizard has the advantage of knowing more than 1 power per level, I say he is not bound to any rule which specifies that he must use one of his dailies on a first, on a fifth, etc. He merely must stay within the rule of 1/day, 2/day, etc.
I raised a point similar to larrycrack's earlier on (about how power-swapping does not mesh well with their ruling from a logic POV). I am wondering what people have to say about that? If you can all post a convincing rebuttal, I will concede.

Here is my earlier statement, for those who missed it.

Otherwise, how would your slots ever upgrade? For instance, I stop gaining new wizard-only daily slots at lv9. According to you, I would be limited to just 1 1st lv, 1 5th lv and 1 9th lv daily spell. At lv 15, I am allowed to swap in a new daily power. If I opt not to do so, but later manage to add new lv15 spells to my spellbook through other means (say via the expanded spellbook feat), by your interpretation, I would not be able to prepare any 15th lv daily spells because I have no 15th lv spell slots with which to fill.

Anyone care to take a crack at it?
I raised a point similar to larrycrack's earlier on (about how power-swapping does not mesh well with their ruling from a logic POV). I am wondering what people have to say about that? If you can all post a convincing rebuttal, I will concede.

Here is my earlier statement, for those who missed it.

Anyone care to take a crack at it?

The DMG has a nice clean table that explains this. It should probably be in the players hand book and not on page 143 of the DMG but that is where it is.

Ok, Per the chart at level 5 you have E: 3,1 D: 5,1 U: 2

That translates to encounter power 1 3rd level slot and 1 1st level slot so you have 2 encounter powers. The chart on page 29 of the PHB only says you have 2 encounter powers. :p

Now level 12 would have the following: Enc: P, 7, 3, 1 Dai: 9, 5, 1 Uti: P, 10, 6, 2. And lets do level 17 so you can see what happens as slots are replaced.

Level 17: Enc: P, 17, 13, 7 Dai: 15, 9, 5 Uti: P, 16, 10, 6, 2.
I am convinced beyond reasonable doubt, and admit my mistake.
The DMG has a nice clean table that explains this. It should probably be in the players hand book and not on page 143 of the DMG but that is where it is.

Ok, Per the chart at level 5 you have E: 3,1 D: 5,1 U: 2

That translates to encounter power 1 3rd level slot and 1 1st level slot so you have 2 encounter powers. The chart on page 29 of the PHB only says you have 2 encounter powers. :p

Now level 12 would have the following: Enc: P, 7, 3, 1 Dai: 9, 5, 1 Uti: P, 10, 6, 2. And lets do level 17 so you can see what happens as slots are replaced.

Level 17: Enc: P, 17, 13, 7 Dai: 15, 9, 5 Uti: P, 16, 10, 6, 2.

After looking at the chart and going back through the wording of the Wizard's daily spells, I can see that a 5th level wizard should have:

A) 2 1st level spells, choose 1 for the day and 2 5th level spell, choose 1 for the day

-not-

B) 2 1st level and 2 5th level spells, choose any 2.

However, not only should that chart be in the PHB, but they should explicitly make clear that known=use per day, specifically for the wizard because they way it is written in the PHB is ambigious at best.

I too believe the intent is for "A)" above.
umm. Now firstly I do agree with the interpretation that you can't prepare 2 lvl 5 powers etc.

But this table on pg143 of the DMG is not proof of that.

The table is the number of power known by a Higher than 1st lvl starting character. Which as has been said multiple times would be in the number of daily that could be used... except for the fact that wizards know more than the normal amount of daily powers.

Now as I said I agree with the interpretation of the table and will DM using the table in that way but I am still looking for something that implicitly says either that that is what the table in the DMG says or that says the "slots" for daily powers.

(Mainly cause I have a rules lawyer/power gamer in my group who will probably break into tears when I tell him :P and I do try to stick to the RAW in most cases)
In this case, the PH RAW are too ambiguous to discern their intent without some other reference. Our game was held up this evening trying to get past questions about power usage. The Power Usage section in the PH is vaguely worded.

With powers being such an integral part of 4E characters, it's pretty important for the restrictions on their usage to be spelled out unambiguously and in detail. It really isn't. The Power Usage section does not refer to the page 29 chart at all, and the column in question from that chart is labeled as Powers Known. I have NOT found ANY text in the PH that states that power usage is restricted by the page 29 chart. The only text I have found that even implies it is a line under the Wizard class write-up, under the Spellbook section.

Also, if the page 29 chart proscribes times-per-day (for dailies) as well as powers known, then how are utility spells handled? They fall under two categories - daily and utility. Does use of a daily utility spell count as a utility used, a daily used, or both?

Can multiple encounter powers be used in a single encounter, as long as the same power is not used twice? Again, the usage rules are not clear.

I have yet to read page 143 of the DMG, and am hoping that will make it all become clear.

Power usage could use some official clarification in a DDi article or something.
In this case, the PH RAW are too ambiguous to discern their intent without some other reference. Our game was held up this evening trying to get past questions about power usage. The Power Usage section in the PH is vaguely worded.

With powers being such an integral part of 4E characters, it's pretty important for the restrictions on their usage to be spelled out unambiguously and in detail. It really isn't. The Power Usage section does not refer to the page 29 chart at all, and the column in question from that chart is labeled as Powers Known. I have NOT found ANY text in the PH that states that power usage is restricted by the page 29 chart. The only text I have found that even implies it is a line under the Wizard class write-up, under the Spellbook section.

Also, if the page 29 chart proscribes times-per-day (for dailies) as well as powers known, then how are utility spells handled? They fall under two categories - daily and utility. Does use of a daily utility spell count as a utility used, a daily used, or both?

Can multiple encounter powers be used in a single encounter, as long as the same power is not used twice? Again, the usage rules are not clear.

I have yet to read page 143 of the DMG, and am hoping that will make it all become clear.

Power usage could use some official clarification in a DDi article or something.

You're confusing powers known with recharge. Each daily power you know (and have prepared, if wizard) can be used once per day. Weather a daily attack or a daily utility. Each encounter power you know (and have prepared, if wizard) can be used once per encounter.

Let's take an example of a lvl 8 eladrin wizard. At level 8, characters know 3 encounter attack powers (lvls 1, 5, 7), two daily attack powers(lvls 1, 5), and two utility powers(lvl 2, 6). Plus fey step (racial encounter power) and second wind (everyone has this power as an encounter power).

For encounter attack powers, the wizard has chosen burning hands, icy rays, and lightning bolt.

For daily attack powers, we have acid arrow and fireball.

For utility powers, shield and dispel magic.

Now, each encounter the wizard can use the following powers once: fey step, second wind, burning hands, icy rays, lightning bolt, and shield.

During this day, the wizard can use acid arrow, fireball, and dispel magic.

Also, the cantrips and at-will attack powers can be used when ever, with no limit either.

I hope this clears up a bit.

TBP
Indeed it does - thank you for taking the time to spell that out.

That is pretty much the conclusion we came to, but it is nice to see it verified by someone with an apparently solid grasp of it. I was still a little vague on it, but your post has made it 'click' for me, so to speak.
another approach:

I recall reading something in the books, that for example:

after reaching lvl 9, you gain a 9th lvl daily power, you now have a 1st, a 5th and a 9th lvl power (this is assumed for a non-wizard), this wizard could retrain at 9th (or 10th, not sure) his first level power for a 9th lvl one, therefore use 2 9thlvl powers per day

if you now look at the wizard, his class design gives him the possibility of more powers to choose from, so why not let him use 2 5th lvl powers per day. It does not make him broken, becuase every other class would also be able to use more powers of higher level with retraining
another approach:
after reaching lvl 9, you gain a 9th lvl daily power, you now have a 1st, a 5th and a 9th lvl power (this is assumed for a non-wizard), this wizard could retrain at 9th (or 10th, not sure) his first level power for a 9th lvl one, therefore use 2 9thlvl powers per day

Except retraining specifically does not allow a player to replace a power with higher level power.

Read PHB pg 28 under "Daily Attack Powers" at the top of the column. It says that:
"At 15th, 19th, 25th, and 29th levels, you can replace any daily attack power you know from your class with a new daily attack power of your new level (or a daily attack power of a lower level, if you choose)."

At these levels, 15, 19, 25, & 29, this is the only time any character, Wizards included, get to replace a power for a higher level one.
Except retraining specifically does not allow a player to replace a power with higher level power.

Read PHB pg 28 under "Daily Attack Powers" at the top of the column. It says that:
"At 15th, 19th, 25th, and 29th levels, you can replace any daily attack power you know from your class with a new daily attack power of your new level (or a daily attack power of a lower level, if you choose)."

At these levels, 15, 19, 25, & 29, this is the only time any character, Wizards included, get to replace a power for a higher level one.

reread that, youre right

thought you could retrain for up to your level...ok that makes it different

then it seems, you only can have 1 daily use "per package", so at 5th level, 1/day 1st lvl power and 1/day 5th lvl power
Pg 28 also does say that when learning new Daily Powers at 5th and 9th level, and when power swapping at level 15, 19, 25 & 29, you may select a daily power of your level or lower. This impacts what spells you may prepare.

If at 9th level a wizard decided to learn a new 5th level power, he would now have four 5th level Daily Spells in his spellbook (which is all of them), and could prepare two of them (but not the same one twice). He doesn't know any 9th level Daily Spells, however.

Apart from this, I agree with earlier posts that you cannot opt to "downgrade" your daily spells into lower level ones just because they are in your spellbook. The levels of spells you prepare must correspond to the levels of spells you have selected while leveling.
The "Powers by Class Level" Chart in the DMG that folks have pointed to states absolutely nothing that demands we limit the number of powers prepared by level. Nothing.

It certainly delineates what level powers a normal class will have available - and of course, the wizard will have twice that many. Since it's a chart to help you write a high level character, that makes total sense. But I still see nothing that says you can't prepare multiple spells of your highest level available. That chart simply says that this is the number of spells and of what level most classes will have at each class level.

The chart on page 29 of the PHB simply lists the number of Daily spells known (or prepared in the wizards case), and the Spellbook Class Feature specifically states that you can choose a number of daily and utility according to your level. So at 5th level, that's 2 daily spells. Most classes will only have a 1st and a 5th level daily, but Wizards have multiple available and can prepare them in any combination. That's RAW.

I keep seeing people want to limit the actual spell slots by level, but I see nothing in the book yet that says that's true. If the chart on p20 PHB stated "1 first level daily, 1 fifth level daily" then I'd agree - but it doesn't. it says "2 daily's" for the fifth level entry. Well, as a wizard, I have 4 daily's, so I get to pick two.