Spell casting in armor?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
How are the rules about arcane spell casting in armor?

Until now it seems sufficient to have the appropriate armor proficiency, right?

AKW
The quick start rules say nothing new on the subject. But from what i see and can guess is that you don't have spell failer but still take the armor check penalty to all your attack rolls.
I recall a dev saying a while back (December?) in the intro articles that spell failure would be gone, and that casters can pick up armor proficiencies with a feat. As KotS doesn't say anything about it, and we haven't heard anything to the contrary, I'm guessing that still holds.
The quick start rules say nothing new on the subject. But from what i see and can guess is that you don't have spell failer but still take the armor check penalty to all your attack rolls.

This would work. Considering that spell casters now have to make some kind of attack roll to affect targets, then it would mean that wearing armor that they're not proficient with would affect their spells in that way.
Judging by the current rules compilation spells in 4th edition work exactly like any other power. There's no special "spell failure" for wearing armor. The only things you need to worry about with armor are proficiency and if the armor is heavy:

- if you aren't proficient with an armor type, then your attacks (including spells) suffer a -2 penalty.

- you get no Dexterity or Intelligence modifiers to your armor class while wearing heavy armor, regardless of whether or not you are proficient.

- heavy armor also inflicts a penalty on Athletics, Acrobatics, and
Stealth skill checks.
Warlocks get leather armour proficiency by default, if I remember correctly, and no special ability to ignore spell failure has been mentioned for them--in dev blogs, or previews, or even the D&DXP pregen warlock sheet.

However, I do think a dev once mentioned--no, I don't have a link or all the fine details--that they're playing a warlock whose Dexterity and Intelligence aren't the best, so they went ahead and invested a couple of feats to use scale mail and that can be done just fine.

R&C also did explicitly state that arcane spell failure is GONE and you can go right ahead and make a plate-wearing wizard if you want and not get screwed for it. Though the two things to bear in mind about that are that A) R&C has mentioned other things that didn't hold in the final version of the game and B) if I were playing a wizard I wouldn't consider heavy armour to be a good idea in the long term because all indications are that light armour + Int bonus will eventually result in a better AC than just heavy armour, though heavy armour might be an OK idea early on when Int bonuses are lower and then something that can be retrained out of once Int bonuses are up to speed.
thaaaaaanks for the info!

that's nice, me likes.

AKW
Sign In to post comments