Exchanging actions?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I read somewhere on a website that can you exchange standard actions for movement actions, but it never said anything about exchanging movement for standard actions. So I'm hoping some of the fine community members here can shed some light on this issue.

I'd appreciate any help on this.
Action "sizes":

Standard > Move > Minor

You can exchange "bigger" actions for "smaller" actions. Or:

You can trade a Standard for a Move or a Minor.

You can trade a Move for a Minor.

You can't trade a Minor.
Here's a cool set up that I thought about the other day:

Casting a spell requires a standard action. Many spells let you sustain them by using a minor action. So, here's how a higher level wizard could be 'somewhat' powerful:

Round 1: Standard action - cast spell A; move action; minor action
Round 2: Standard action - cast spell B; move action; minor action - sustain spell A
Round 3: Standard action - cast spell C; move action - sustain spell A; minor action - sustain spell B
Round 4: Standard action - sustain spell A; move action - sustain spell B; minor action - sustain spell C; use action point: standard action - cast spell D

Of course, the trade off is that by round 3 you're not able to move. But, if Concentration checks are gone and your party is able to keep attackers away from you, then this should work. Unless of course I'm missing something about being able to sustain one spell at a time. But, I haven't seen anything like that yet.
Here's a cool set up that I thought about the other day:

Casting a spell requires a standard action. Many spells let you sustain them by using a minor action. So, here's how a higher level wizard could be 'somewhat' powerful:

Round 1: Standard action - cast spell A; move action; minor action
Round 2: Standard action - cast spell B; move action; minor action - sustain spell A
Round 3: Standard action - cast spell C; move action - sustain spell A; minor action - sustain spell B
Round 4: Standard action - sustain spell A; move action - sustain spell B; minor action - sustain spell C; use action point: standard action - cast spell D

Of course, the trade off is that by round 3 you're not able to move. But, if Concentration checks are gone and your party is able to keep attackers away from you, then this should work. Unless of course I'm missing something about being able to sustain one spell at a time. But, I haven't seen anything like that yet.

I've seen some mentions of restrictions like "you can only have one light cantrip active at a time", so I guess that not all sustainable spells are restricted in that way.
Ok, thanks for the info.
Sign In to post comments