dual-class/ multiclass... how unblanced would it really be?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was thinking about the new multi classing system, and i dunno if this has been brought up before as a possible house rule but why not just allow characters to play a hybrid class

At level one they get 1 at will from one class, the other from their other class. They take their daily from one and their encounter from the other.
They have to take the hp from the class with the lower HP.

and then something like 1 defense bonus of their choice and the other two are the lowest possible from the two classes being hybrided.

Obviously we can't say exactly how unbalanced this would be in game because we haven't see all the powers. I'm thinking as long as you restrict the character from taking multiclass feats (just consider them already multiclassed) it might not be too bad, probably not any worse than 3rd was at any rate. (unless there is two powers that completely break when on the same character)

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point we see a dragon article detailing a new truer multiclassing variant.
Nope I think it would be fine.

The number of power is defined by your character class level so whatever hybrid will have the same number of power as a standard character of the same level.

You will need to balance weapons, armours prof, skills starting hp, healing surge

As far as powers are concerned you need to make sure that the synergy do not break them.
like or THW and sneak attack as a base class feature
Let say you want top have a landsknecht dopplesolder mercenary class that a mix between fighter and rogue.
Your trade weapon is a massive zweihander.
Obviously THW can not be used with sneak attack (sneak attack uses only light weapons)
So you give the ability to use the great sword like a light blade (like historical half swording or demi-lance or demi-hache) which enable a precise use of the tip but in that case reduce damage of the weapon to 1D6.

phil
Balance issues will exist. If you adopt the worst aspects of each class e.g. lowest hp, it gives a striker/leader an advantage over a defender/controller. That might be acceptable since controller powers do not attack AC but it could make the defender powers a bit weaker. Can't tell if that will balance out or not.

The problem with the powers is difficult to track at this stage but more difficult is how do you divide the class features at level 1? Some are equivalent to class powers and others equivalent to feats and the weapons and armour entitlements should not be dished out for free, should they? Do you pick the worst weapon and armour list and how do you tell which weapons off the cleric & rogue lists are the worst?

I think that the game is a lot more finely balanced than is obvious and tweaking quite small things is going to have an effect.

My recommendation is to play test the existing multiclassing rules first. The rumour is that each class may have some powers that give a 'cross role flavour'. It might be better to re-tool the fluff of existing powers to fit in with the multiclass concept instead of monkeying with the rules at such an early stage.
I was thinking about the new multi classing system, and i dunno if this has been brought up before as a possible house rule but why not just allow characters to play a hybrid class

At level one they get 1 at will from one class, the other from their other class. They take their daily from one and their encounter from the other.
They have to take the hp from the class with the lower HP.

and then something like 1 defense bonus of their choice and the other two are the lowest possible from the two classes being hybrided.

Obviously we can't say exactly how unbalanced this would be in game because we haven't see all the powers. I'm thinking as long as you restrict the character from taking multiclass feats (just consider them already multiclassed) it might not be too bad, probably not any worse than 3rd was at any rate. (unless there is two powers that completely break when on the same character)

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point we see a dragon article detailing a new truer multiclassing variant.

The system was designed from the ground up with the knowledge that there would be no level-by-level multiclassing. So now, all your class features come at 1st level.

How would your system handle that? If I'm, say, a 10th level Warlock, woudl I take one level of Ranger and get a combat style, Hunter's Quarry, AND a ranger at-will, etc etc?
The system was designed from the ground up with the knowledge that there would be no level-by-level multiclassing. So now, all your class features come at 1st level.

How would your system handle that? If I'm, say, a 10th level Warlock, woudl I take one level of Ranger and get a combat style, Hunter's Quarry, AND a ranger at-will, etc etc?

WOTC also mentioned that 4E could use a Classless System, where you choose your powers/features based on the type of character you want to play.

I am an advocate for mixin stuff up, but from what I've seen so far, your post is right...Class Features will be very hard to balance.

If they did? THAT would be frigin cool.