Ability Scores in the 30s, hell yea!

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gaining a level (see page 27 of the Player’s Handbook) is the most significant reward the game has to offer, but even that reward has its own tidal rhythm. Characters gain new attack powers at odd-numbered levels, and they gain new feats, ability score increases, and global adjustments to all their attacks and defenses at even-numbered levels.

So this gives you a total of +15 additional points to ability scores by the time you reach level 30. Which means if your fighter could have a 33 strength! That's freaking incredible, how strong would that be in DnD terms, like lifting elephants or something? Or your elf ranger could have a 35 dexterity, your a freaking mongoose now! :OMG!
Well first of all it doesn't say you get all of those thing ever even numbered level and it also doesn't talk about whether you get to choose them all or if there are any restrictions.
I believe that after first level, your PC gets an ability score increase on each level ending with 4, 8 or 1.

That means a score of 16, added to each time, will reach 24 by 30th level - still fairly impressive. The absence of stat-boosting items means it won't go much above that. There still might be stat-boosting rituals that function much as a wish does in 3.5.
What lv 15-20 fighter in 3.5 doesn't have a str near the 30s already? In 4.0, you just get it from leveling rather than from items. It's not that big of a deal.
In reality, ability scores do not increase at every even level; however, you gain a bonus of one-half your level to attack rolls, defenses (AC, Fort, Ref, Will), skill checks and ability checks. The effect is almost the same as an increase, save that you don't get any increases to damage.
What lv 15-20 fighter in 3.5 doesn't have a str near the 30s already? In 4.0, you just get it from leveling rather than from items. It's not that big of a deal.

Seconded.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

That your str is increasing of your own merit is though.

While it was easy to get at least 32 str in 3.5, the bulk of it came from magic items (tome+5, belt+6, rage+8 etc), meaning that your base str was still relatively low.

How does a fighter in 4e become stronger than a hill giant through adventuring?
Posted by Nautilus:
I believe that after first level, your PC gets an ability score increase on each level ending with 4, 8 or 1.

im fairly sure thats right, much as im fairly sure you get feats on even levels plus levels ending in 1. that means you get 8 ability score increases over your career. that takes a 16 starting score to 24. not quite 30 on its own, but there are probably still stat-increasing items out there... and even if not, there are enough things adding to various checks that it shouldnt really matter.
Just thought you should know. the countdown continues...
That will help damage scale up as the character levels up.
You dont get ability score as (STR;DEX...)at every even number lol, you get other stuff,sometimes ref,will,fort;sometimes STR,DEX...,and sometimes something else,because if its not then you would have way above 33 STR on lvl 30 because there will certainly be items in 4e that grant you ability scores too.
The exerp said this
"they gain new feats, ability score increases, and global adjustments to all their attacks and defenses at even-numbered levels."

it did NOT say
"they gain new feats, ability score increases, and global adjustments to all their attacks and defenses at every even-numbered levels."

That leaves important ambiguity.

Like others have said, x4/x8 (and probably every x1 as well) is still a valid possibility.
This also applies to feats. It is a possibility that characters might not get a feat every level.
Hello,

you can see here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080416a that you get stat increases at levels ending with 4,8,1 (under the Determine Ability Scores entry).
Maybe there will be some feat that will give you an ability boost, but it's only speculation.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

I think you gain ability score increases (maybe 2 scores per increase) at levels:

4, 8, 11, 14, 18, 21, 24, 28.

I think you gain feats at levels:

1, 2, 4, 6, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30.
... there will certainly be items in 4e that grant you ability scores too.

Why are all y'all hung up on this? It has been stated MANY times that +ability score items will NOT be in 4e. Check out this article on magic items. Read the first paragraph(emphasis mine):

The most important portion of this goal involved removing a lot of the magic items that were essential just so your character could feel effective, like stat-boosting items, amulets of natural armor, and the like. We also felt like these items weren't as exciting as magic items should be, yet characters depended on them heavily to feel adequate in proportion to their level. We felt that the cool stuff a character can do should come from that character’s abilities, not his gear.

Also, listen to the podcast episodes 15, 20, & 21. They constantly talk about how stat-boosting items are GONE.

/rant

TBP
Interesting didn't see that,but that makes me wonder because i saw somewhere belt of hill giant strength,it didnt exactly gave STR like passive bonus,more it was like free action activate bonus.
Interesting didn't see that,but that makes me wonder because i saw somewhere belt of hill giant strength,it didnt exactly gave STR like passive bonus,more it was like free action activate bonus.

Not sure about a belt, but this was released a while back on enworld:

GAUNTLETS OF OGRE POWER (LEVEL 5)
These gauntlets are good for a fighter, ranger, or paladin.
Body Slot: Hands
Property: Gain a +1 item bonus to Athletics checks and Strength ability checks (but not Strength attacks).
Power (Daily): Free action. Activate when you hit with a melee attack. Add a +5 power bonus to the damage roll.

So it still makes your Str-based checks better, and gives you that extra oomph in melee...but does NOT increase your str score.

TBP
pff.. just means the good ol variety is still to be invented if nothing else.
I cannot believe belts of giant strength+10 have somehow gone out of fashion :D

It happened when they changed the name from "girdle"…
Not sure about a belt, but this was released a while back on enworld:

GAUNTLETS OF OGRE POWER (LEVEL 5)
These gauntlets are good for a fighter, ranger, or paladin.
Body Slot: Hands
Property: Gain a +1 item bonus to Athletics checks and Strength ability checks (but not Strength attacks).
Power (Daily): Free action. Activate when you hit with a melee attack. Add a +5 power bonus to the damage roll.

So it still makes your Str-based checks better, and gives you that extra oomph in melee...but does NOT increase your str score.

TBP

yea it was wile ago for me but that item is what i meant,but nevertheless since you agree with me about ability score progression then there will not be STR 43 athletic check on lvl 30.
pff.. just means the good ol variety is still to be invented if nothing else.

The 4th edition magic rule is no magic item or spell increases Stats. The most they do is emulate the benefits>

A Str-like item increases Str checks and melee hit or damage, but not Str itself.
Dex-like would increase Dex checks and Ranged hit or damage, but not Dex itself.
"If you can't believe in yourself, believe in me who believes in you." and "Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb" Kamina, from Gurren Lagann
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was gonna be something like. When you get a ability increase you have to take the +2 bonus and split it between two different ability scores.
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was gonna be something like. When you get a ability increase you have to take the +2 bonus and split it between two different ability scores.

Maybe what you heard was "works like SWSE"? ;)
Thalmin, in this thread here that ALL your ability scores go up by one at level 11 and 21 (Tier breaks), in addition to the +1 to two different ability scores at 4, 8, etc.
+1 to each of two different stats at about every 4th level, but there are a few levels (I think 11 and 21) where every stat gets a +1 bonus.

This came off Enworld and is according to some shop keepers who have apparently got to preview the books.
What lv 15-20 fighter in 3.5 doesn't have a str near the 30s already?

in a campaign where there isn't a fixation on statistics and/or magical items.
Well wizards has already given a full preview of what score increases u get at what levels, and it detailed it all to 30th level. So check it out, its easier to look at the actual chart than listen to some store owners.
Well wizards has already given a full preview of what score increases u get at what levels, and it detailed it all to 30th level. So check it out, its easier to look at the actual chart than listen to some store owners.

What link? I've seen official releases for power progression, where there was some information about what level you got ability increases, but not how much of an increase (+1 to one ability, vs +1 to two ability scores), nor any mention of +1 to all ability scores at 11 and 21. I would happily look at an official source.

Link this if you have an official source.

Citation please?

Thx!
From the sneak peaks over on Enworld:

"+1 to each of two different stats at about every 4th level, but there are a few levels (I think 11 and 21) where every stat gets a +1 bonus."
So there are no ability score increasing magical items? I think this really sucks. I like 3e for its magic items and its ability increasing methods. So far I've learned some dissapointing news, like low damage.
So there are no ability score increasing magical items?

Nope.
Sign In to post comments