I touched them...ask me questions

238 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys! I got to look through all 3 core rulebooks at the GAMA tradeshow. If there's anything you guys want to know I can try to tell you off of the top of me head or check them out again tomorrow. I don't know specific crunch, like who gets bonuses to what, but I can answer some general questions.
Approximately how many pages per class?

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
who, squatting upon the ground,
held his heart in his hands, and ate of it.
I said, "is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter – bitter," he answered;
"but I like it,
"beacuase it is bitter,
"and because it is my heart."

I doubt you would remember this but would be pleased if you did, do the Drow have a PC write up in the MM?
Any information on Rituals at all.

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
who, squatting upon the ground,
held his heart in his hands, and ate of it.
I said, "is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter – bitter," he answered;
"but I like it,
"beacuase it is bitter,
"and because it is my heart."

A quick overview of the different sections in the DMG would be great!
While you're checking out rituals would you mind checking out approximately how many are there in the PHB?
Multiclassing? Specifically the nature of and mechanics surrounding...

Tausend dank, mein freund

ooh, good one, I second that.
The tease!

Anything. Anything at all, really.

I'm pretty sure multiclassing was specifically mentioned as one of the preview items we'll be getting on the website during their Monday/Wednesday/Friday rotation.
Approximately how many pages per class?

Any information on Rituals at all.

I second both of these.

Though you've got me wondering, what is this GAMA tradeshow?
Did the paper feel good?

Since you touched them and all but didn't read them...from the sounds of it, at least.
I second both of these.

Though you've got me wondering, what is this GAMA tradeshow?

I didn't know... but google is my friend. The Game Manufacturers Association Trade Show this year is taking place in Ohio from April 20-24th.
I'm pretty sure multiclassing was specifically mentioned as one of the preview items we'll be getting on the website during their Monday/Wednesday/Friday rotation.

Ooh! I just had a little infogasm.
What are the build options for the classes we haven't seen yet? It'd be great if you could also give some details on what abilities they give.

Please and thank you! :D
Ooh! I just had a little infogasm.

In fact, the preview that just went up a few minutes ago mentioned this... "Alternatively if you wish, you can also select powers from a second class in place of a paragon path. That’s described in the information on multiclassing, and something we’ll cover in a future preview article."
"Alternatively if you wish, you can also select powers from a second class in place of a paragon path. That’s described in the information on multiclassing, and something we’ll cover in a future preview article."

Well slap my ass and call me Judy – awesome!
How much can you drag a class off the rails and pull against its role, like making a defendery rogue, or a strikery fighter, or a controllery cleric, or whatever?
Anything at all about the social encounter system.
Did they feel like a bag of sand?
If a train leaves Philadelphia en route to Pittsburgh travelling at 80 mph, & another train leaves Pittsburgh en route to Philadelphia travelling at 65 mph, how long will it take until they pass each other?

Ooooh, right - you meant "ask questions about the books"...

In that case, I'd like to know if the art previews we've seen represent the "best-of-the-best" or if it's all just that damn good. More specifically, I'd also like to know how the three new chromatic dragons look. Cell phone pics will do just fine. ;)
Any info you can offer on the "kit bashing" in the DMG would be greatly appreciated.

Also, How many Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies are in the PH? Can you tell us what there names are?
I think he just posted that to make us all jealous. *grumble*... it worked for me! I have a friend there who sent a cell phone pic holding a DMG up to their face to me. So very not fair!

I guess specific questions would probably not be something you would remember as well. How about – what was the most ‘stand out’ thing of everything you saw? Was there some artwork, a class description, a certain spell, whatever. Something probably was the biggest ‘oh wow!’ out of all you read.
Did they feel like a bag of sand?

[David]"What?"[/David]
Sorry guys, he internet is EXTREMELY slow here at the show. I spent most of my time looking at the PHB and MM, but I'll check out the DMG today. Each class has it's own chapter that details different builds and lists the powers available (Between 3-8 per level it seemed). Monster entries are much shorter than in 3.5, but much more concise. I'll go get some information on multiclassing and rituals then check out the DMG a little more in depth.

The books look and feel great, there seems to be more artwork and a more logical layout in all the 4e books. The new DM screen is 100% better than the old one.

I'll try and update a little later.
Ok, multiclassing is done entirely through feats. You take one feat to multiclass and gain a power from that class, and then take additional feats to take more powers from the class.

Rituals are obtained by buying ritual scrolls or ritual books. Ritual scrolls are consumed after one use, books teach the ritual to you permanantly. All rituals seem to have a casting time of at least 10 minutes, require a material component, and require the use of the ritual casting feat (which wizards and clerics get for free at 1st level) Most of the divination spells in 3.5 are now rituals as well as some of the old illusion spells.

Each class has about 15 or so pages written about it which includes powers and paragon paths. It's possible to make characters that don't fall into their presupposed role, but you have to multiclass to do it (you'll need defender powers from fighter to be an effective rogue defender, etc.)

There are no subrace rules (drow, gold dwarf, etc.) in the PHB.

There are approximately 3 times the amount of feats in the 4e PHB as the 3.5 PHB.

The DMG is all about how to run a game. There is no reason at all for a player to have one.

Oh and by the way, Greyhawk, Ravenloft and Dark Sun are definately getting 4e campaigns down the line as well as Planescape and Spelljammer (which they just started working out). They assured us that we can look forward to most of the old campaign setting being remade, and mentioned the above by name.
Ok, multiclassing is done entirely through feats. You take one feat to multiclass and gain a power from that class, and then take additional feats to take more powers from the class.

Rituals are obtained by buying ritual scrolls or ritual books. Ritual scrolls are consumed after one use, books teach the ritual to you permanantly. All rituals seem to have a casting time of at least 10 minutes, require a material component, and require the use of the ritual casting feat (which wizards and clerics get for free at 1st level) Most of the divination spells in 3.5 are now rituals as well as some of the old illusion spells.

Each class has about 15 or so pages written about it which includes powers and paragon paths. It's possible to make characters that don't fall into their presupposed role, but you have to multiclass to do it (you'll need defender powers from fighter to be an effective rogue defender, etc.)

There are no subrace rules (drow, gold dwarf, etc.) in the PHB.

There are approximately 3 times the amount of feats in the 4e PHB as the 3.5 PHB.

The DMG is all about how to run a game. There is no reason at all for a player to have one.

Oh and by the way, Greyhawk, Ravenloft and Dark Sun are definately getting 4e campaigns down the line as well as Planescape and Spelljammer (which they just started working out). They assured us that we can look forward to most of the old campaign setting being remade, and mentioned the above by name.

Thanks for the info! I like the idea of using feats to multiclass. It lets you pick and choose the abilities you want and doesn't nerf your first class. Of course, it does mean that true multiclassing (like rogue 3/fighter 3) probably isn't possible. But, at least spellcasters don't have to worry about losing caster levels (or whatever passes for that in 4e).

Interesting.

Interesting as well.

Chris Sims has already clarified that those settings are not guaranteed to come out, but they are certainly possible future settings. More information on ENworld.

Thanks for the updates!
Chris Sims has already clarified that those settings are not guaranteed to come out, but they are certainly possible future settings. More information on ENworld.

Thanks for the updates!

Actually, he said, "And the fact that a setting is "on the list" shouldn't be taken as "Wizards is definitely publishing this setting." It just means the setting is on the list for possible future use."

This may mean that some will be published by 3PP.

Thanks for the updates!

Bill Slavicsek mentioned those by name as what we'd see after Forgotten Realms and Eberron were out. Greyhawk is a definate, he said they were working on the books for it, and Dark Sun is one that he mentioned "we would see down the line". I don't know if he slipped up or if he wasn't 100% sure, but he sounded pretty confident.

Hmm... Tanus, did it seem like it was same-pattern no matter how many times you take the feats?

Like, is it say always feat = another power, or is like 1st feat = one power, 2nd feat = 1 power, class feature, etc.
Are there any Iconic Characters(like 3es Regdar, lidda, etc.)
Are there any Iconic Characters(like 3es Regdar, lidda, etc.)

I don't think so. Not that I noticed as I flipped through anyway.

And it looks like 1 feat = 1 power, but I didn't read the feat description, just the summary.

You just made me very happy.
OOhh Important!

Is Fireball and Lightning bolt At will, encounter, daily, or special.

What is the Mechanics for them? (burst Clost blast etc)

They are after all, the most iconic spells in the game
Hey Tanus, the multiclassing feats only allow you to take at will powers or is it a chain (1st at will, 2nd encounter, 3rd daily)???
Where did you touch them? Are they going to charge you with textual harassment?

Hmm.. what is the damage of a Katar.. I know, very specific. It's my favorite real-world weapon, sadly I always felt it was a sub-optimal choice for a character.

Are there any paragon paths with racial requirements? Are they only class based, or are there other factors as well?

How many powers, roughly, does each class get to choose from?
I'm suprised noone's asked this yet.

Are casters and non-casters balanced against each other? I know they claim they would be, but I want to hear it from someone who's actually seen the books.
Do mages have a lot of spells to choose from or do they just have a few spells in place of powers like everyone else?
Unfortunately, I didn't get to look at the muticlassing feats in depth, so I don't know what type of powers they let you choose from.

Each class has between 3-8 powers per level to choose from, but you don't get powers at every level. Wizards and Clerics have a bit more than this, and fighters have a bit less. It looked like you got powers at every other level, but a few classes had some exceptions so I'm not sure if that's a rule or just what it looked like at a glance.

Paragon paths have power/feat requirements but I didn't notice any racial ones. Paragon paths only give access to 3 or 4 new powers, it seems.

Another thing that I saw was utility powers which are at will/per day powers that can be used out of combat (different from rituals)
What about Fireball and Lightnin Bolt?

See my Above post.