Make the Spear a 1-handed melee weapon for 4E!

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok,

ladies and germs, we did this dance on the 3.x boards a long time ago and got nowhere. Last time around the thread got closed because there was no way WotC would do the errata. I'm gonna try again as we're moving to a new edition. Without further ado, I'm opening my campaign to get WotC to make the Spear a 1-handed melee weapon for 4E. I personally would like to be able to use a spear with shield for my character.

Quite simply, there is a mountain of historical evidence giving us the picture of the Spear as a 1-handed simple weapon without reach or range increment. Remove the stupid 3.x range increment and remove the reach ability. Voila! You have now given proper stats for a spear like the Longinus of Rome as well as that of the Vikings, Anglo-Saxons, Normans, Carolingians and a host of other peoples stretching from the 2nd Millenium BCE to the about the Seventeenth Century of the Common Era.

Said spear is roughly 7 feet in length and was the primary infantry weapon on almost every continent on this planet. We have historical evidence primarily in the form of the Bayeux Tapestry. A number of panels (4, 6 - 12, 19, 21, 25 - 34) show, thats right, both Infantry and Cavalry formations in both the Norman and Anglo-Saxon armies with spears used as melee weapons in conjunction with shields. And these are not necessarily small shields either, as the Norman Kite shield was quite large.

If you don't, for whatever reason, believe me, I shall direct you to The Battle of Hastings, 1066.com where they have the complete tapestry online.

If thats not enough, here is a page dedicated to Viking/Anglo-Saxon/Norman era reenacting. Regia Anglorum Reenactor's site Information is provided and the bottom of the page shows people using shields and spears. Whats more, it clearly differentiates between the throwing spear and the thrusting spear. Read and learn oh ye of little learning!

What's more, every single edition of D&D, starting with the OD&D published by TSR in 1974 has had artwork in one or more supplements/adventures depicting a spear wielding character with a shield. Spears, I might add, that are NOT shortspears.

D&D Supplement II: Blackmoor (published 1975)
- Page 33: Mounted female warrior on unicorn bearing a spear in her right hand a round shield in her left (I believe its a Dave Sutherland illo)

Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (3rd version, published 1980)
- Cover by Erol Otus shows a spear wielding fighter with a round wooden shield about to skewer a dragon

B2: Keep on the Borderlands (published 1980)
- Cover by Jim Roslof shows spear wielding Orcs with orc shields as well as a spear wielding PC with a kite shield.

X2: Castle Amber (published 1981)
- Cover by Erol Otus shows a spear wielding guard with round shield running along parapet as it crumbles.

U2: Danger at Dunwater (published 1982)
- Page 26: Male warrior with spear in right hand and round shield in left hand. (Timothy Truman illo)
- Page 27: Male warrior with spear in left hand and round shield in right hand. (Timothy Truman illo)

N1: Cult of the Reptile God (published 1982)
- Page 4: Male warrior with spear in right hand and kite shield in left hand resting lower edge on ground. (appears to be Keith Parkinson illo)

A2: Secret of the Slaver's Stockade (published 1981)
- Page 24: Male warrior with spear in right hand and round shield in left hand. (Erol Otus illo)

UK 1: Beyond the Crystal Cave (published in 1983)
- Page 24: Male warrior with spear in right hand and round shield in left hand. (Timothy Truman illo)

D1-2: Descent into the Depths of the Earth (published 1981)
- Page 3: Male warrior with spear in right hand and kite shield in left hand. (David C. Sutherland III illo)
- Page 27: Kuo-Toa warrior with ovoid shield in left hand and spear in the right. (David C. Sutherland III illo)

WG3/S4: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth (published 1982)
- Cover by Erol Otus shows male warrior with round shield in his left hand and right overhand position spear.
- Page 10 of the Monsters and Magical Items supplement for WG3/S4 shows a Male(?) Derro with spear-like weapon and round spiked shield. (Jeff Easley illo?)
- Page 19 of the Monsters and Magical Items supplement shows a hobgoblin with a square Legionnaire-style shield and a spear. (Jeff Easley illo?)

EX1: Dungeonland (published in 1983)
- Page 3: Male warrior with spear in right hand and round shield in left hand. (Timothy Truman illo)
- Page 4/5: Male warrior with spear in left hand and round shield in right hand. (Timothy Truman illo)
- Page 13: Bullywug warrior with spear in right hand and round shield in left hand. (Timothy Truman illo)

WG7: Castle Greyhawk (published 1988)
- Page 58: PCs in a Shield-Wall formation with kite shields and spears in the 2nd rank. (Jeff Easley illo)

Dungeon Masters Adventure Log (published 1980)
- Cover by Erol Otus shows Gnoll Warrior with round shield and spear facing off against a male warrior with a spear and shield.

The Rogues Gallery (published 1980)
- Page 43 entry on Lawrence Schick's Elven Fighter/Mage character Lanolin (who is being pickpocketed by Greg Fleming's halfling thief Gormadoc) depicts him with a round shield and a boar spear. (Greg K. Fleming illo)

Deities and Demigods (1st Printing , published 1980)
- Page 65: Entry on Greek God of War Ares depicts him wielding a spear and carrying a shield. (illo by Jim Roslof)
- Page 65: Entry on Greek Goddess of Wisdom and Combat Athena depicts her with a spear and shield. (illo by Jim Roslof)

Monster Manual (1st printing, published 1977)
- Page 1: Mounted warrior skewering a Bullete with spear while bearing a kite shield. (David C. Sutherland III illo?)
- Page 46: Gnoll warrior with ovoid shield and spear (David C. Sutherland III illo)
- Page 58: Kobold warrior with square shield and spear (David C. Sutherland III illo)
- Page 76: Orc warriors with orc shields and spears (David C. Sutherland III illo)

Fiend Folio (1st printing, published 1981)
- Page 111: Winter outfitted warrior bearing a spear and round shield. (Jim Roslof illo)

Monster Manual II (1st printing, published 1983)
- Page 69: Entry on Verbeeg Giants shows one with a kite shield and wielding a spear. (illo by Harry Quinn?)

Wilderness Survival Guide (1st printing, published 1986)
- Page 49: Illustration by Larry Elmore of mounted flying warrior with round shield and spear.
- Page 75: Illustration by Jeff Easley shows orc wielding spear and bearing a teardrop shaped shield.

Greyhawk Adventures (1st printing, published 1988)
- Page 37: Illustration showing guard with kite shield bearing the device of the Wild Coast Town of Fax and a spear. (Jeffy Easley illo)

Players Handbook 2nd Edition (published 1989)
- Page 92: Colour illustration showing goblin warrior with round shield and spear. (Unknown artist)

Players Option: Skills and Powers (published 1995)
- Page 108: Illustration by Eric Hotz showing goblin(?) warrior with spear and round shield.

AD&D Historical Reference: Charlemagne's Paladins (published 1992)
- Page 3: Illustration by Richard Garner showing Carolingian warriors with spears and round shields
- Page 13: Illustratin by Richard Garner showing mounted Carolingian warriors with spear and shield facing off against Saxon warriors with spears and round shields
- Page 17: Illustration by unkown artist showing Carolingian warriors laying siege to a town. Warriors are mounted and bearing shields and spears.
- Page 21: Illustration by Richard Garner showing mounted Carolingian warrior with spear and shield.
- Page 61: Illustration by Richard Garner of the Battle of Roncesvalles Pass depicting Roland and Bishop Turpin at the end holding out against Basque warriors, some of whom have spear and shield.

AD&D Historical Reference: The Celts (published 1992)
- Page 4: Illustration by Richard Raup showing a Celt warrior on horseback bearing a spear and a round shield.
- Page 14: Illustration by Richard Raup showing Celt warriors facing off against one another. Some have spears and shields.
- Page 40: Illustration by Richard Raup showing Celt warriors facing off against Formorians. One warrior has a spear and a round shield.
- Page 74: Illustration by Richard Raup showing Celt warriors, one being a warrior woman bearing a Roman Standard minus the flag, some of whom have spears and shields. One of these is also a warrior woman.
- Page 82: Illustration by Richard Raup showing Celt warriors facing off against Roman Legionnaires. Almost all have spears and shields.

Hacklopedia of Beasts Vol. I: Aarikians to Cats, Great (published 2001 by Kenzer Co. under license from WotC)
- Page 78: Illustration by Brad McDevitt showing a Bison'vyder warrior with a spear in his right hand and a large teardrop shaped shield in his left.

Hacklopedia of Beasts Vol II: Cats, Small to Efreeti (published 2001 by Kenzer Co. under license from WotC)
- Page 78: Illustration by unkown artist depicting a warrior with a spear in his left hand and a shield in his right facing off against a Black Dragon that decided to grab the warrior's horse.

D&D 3.5: The Miniatures Handbook (published 2003)
- Page 12: Colour illustration by showing warriors with spears and large wooden shields standing behind a Marshall.

Castles & Crusades RPG (published 2004 by Troll Lord Games under the Open Gaming License by WotC)
- Page 3: Illustration by Peter Bradley showing more than one Dwarf Warrior wielding a spear and shield to skewer an approaching horde of Orcs (I think) lead by an Orge (I think).

There is no reason why in 4E there shouldn't be a traditional 1-handed melee spear as the 3.x short spear was based on the Zulu spear and not the typical post-Roman spear.
I bet they'll make you happy but not because of all the sources you cite.

Only because a certain movie called 300 has had a success of enormous proportions among nerds and others alike!

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

3.5 already has stats for a one-handed melee spear.

I don't expect that to be excluded from 4E.

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
I agree with both posts above. Make it 1h.
Never fear Drewgimpy, I don't think they're going to deny you your 1-handed spear dreams when they have concept art like this.

IMAGE(http://www.wocstudios.com/images/4e7.jpg)
There is no reason why in 4E there shouldn't be a traditional 1-handed melee spear as the 3.x short spear was based on the Zulu spear and not the typical post-Roman spear.

Just curious, but where are you getting this from?

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
Just curious, but where are you getting this from?

Because the general European throwing spear was the javelin, which is already in the game. There were short melee/throwing spears used by the Vikings, but they are decidedly different from the traditional Spear that I am referring to.
Sure; I'll second (third, fourth, Xth, whatever) the motion. I've never like how there are so many different kinds of spears in the real world but only 2 or 3 in D&D.
My 3rd Edition compromise was to 'bastard sword-ize' the spear. It was two-handed as a simple weapon, but one-handed as a martial weapon. Made for interesting decisions for sorcerers.

Like you, Keolander, I'm hoping for a more accurate representation in 4E, and the concept art above is encouraging.
Friging FINALLY!!!
This was one of THE LAMEST things about D&D.
I am sure that it has been taken into account. Spear and shield combinations were common for infantry, due to the fact that they were cheap, easy to train, and provided higher survivability (due to the shield and slightly better reach.) Its efficiency is shown by how many countries used this method, and how long the tactics stayed mainstream.

And of course 300 plays a huge part in the revitalization. But most characters are inspired by movies, books and history. So don't take that as an insult. I generally encourage my new players to design based on a movie character. It helps them understand the role and rules. Thats just me. My more experienced player come up with excellent ideas, usually based on historical traditions.
I figure the spear will be one of the 'versatile' weapons. You get +1 damage when you wield it 2 handed, similar to Kathra's warhammer.

But who ever said that the spear being one handed being based more on 300, then on all the historical depictions cited, well you're probably right.
Because the general European throwing spear was the javelin, which is already in the game. There were short melee/throwing spears used by the Vikings, but they are decidedly different from the traditional Spear that I am referring to.

I'll have to check my PHB again, but I don't recall any cultural references of that nature being included in the weapon descriptions.

Are you sure you aren't just projecting?

Fairbanks
Are you sure you aren't just projecting?

Hehe, could be.
Hehe, could be.

Here's the way I see it:

The PHB has two types of spear listed in the weapon section.

Shortspear
A shortspear is small enough to wield one-handed. It may also be thrown.
1 gp, 1d4(s) 1d6(m),

Fairbanks
I agree that the write-ups for spears have been a little off, but don't think it to be a major concern.

Yes, in real life the "spear" was one-handed AND two-handed... sort of. Just because it was called a spear, doesn't mean that it was a spear... I'll explain:

A Javelin is defined as a "spear" that is light enough to be thrown (a one handed weapon).
A Spear is defined as a long pointed stick used in hand or mounted combat usually to give an opponent a longer reach (the infantry variety was two-handed, the mounted variety eventually got renamed to "lance").

Technically, all one-handed spears are actually javelins, and a true spear is always two-handed (and too heavy to throw effectively). Although I agree that they need to increase the range increment for the Javelin.

If anything, the error in-game was to allow spears to be thrown at all, and to have a range increment for the javelin that was too short.
and a true spear is always two-handed (and too heavy to throw effectively).

Sorry, untrue. The reenactors of COMITATVS would disagree with your assertion that the Spear was 2-handed. The most common spear was 1-handed and used in conjunction with a shield.
A spear was wielded with a shield only when armor was not an option.
Advantages of spear was reach, and some opponents could have problem with distance estimation of a point of a spear, so they might be somewhat surprised and have shorter time for defense. I doubt elves, dwarves, undeads, or anything of higher level would have this problem.

Using spear onehanded means you would give up possibility of tripping attacks, reach extension, and slashing Chinese like attacks.
A spear was wielded with a shield only when armor was not an option.

Untrue. Pictoral evidence clearly shows this and written sources also refute it. Try again.

Using spear onehanded means you would give up possibility of tripping attacks, reach extension, and slashing Chinese like attacks.

WTH?
The shortspear already exists
As I said, just because someone calls it a spear, doesn't mean it actually is.

The original definition of a spear was a 2 handed long pointed stick.
The original definition of a javelin was a 1 handed spear that could also be thrown.

Just as what is known as a Trebuchet, was originally called a catapult for over a thousdand years, until the French rediscovered its design and called it a Trebuchet. Today people call it a Trebuchet, but the Romans were the first to use it, and they called it a catapult. Then its design was lost for about a thousand years, until the French rediscovered it, and named it a Trebuchet.

Type "define Javelin" and "define spear" into Google, and read every entry that results, and you'll see that I am correct. It doesn't matter what the game calls it, whether the game calls it a spear or javelin is irrelevant. But when your argument is based on 'so called' historical information, that simply isn't true, your argument loses credibility.

This is likely the last post I'll make on the subject. A "one handed spear" already exists in the game (actually there are 2). The historically accurate Javelin, and the shortspear... take you pick.
As I said, just because someone calls it a spear, doesn't mean it actually is.

The original definition of a spear was a 2 handed long pointed stick.
The original definition of a javelin was a 1 handed spear that could also be thrown.

Hmm...lets see what the Online Encyclopedia Britannica says...

SPEAR (O. Eng. spere) a weapon of offence. Developed from a sharp-headed stake, the spear may be reckoned, with club, as among the most ancient of weapons. All the prehistoric races handled the spear; The English before the Norman conquest were a spear-bearing race. The freeman's six-foot ashen spear was always near his hand; and its head is found beside the bones of every warrior. The casting javelin was commoner than the bow.

- Originally appearing in Volume V25, Page 616 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica

Type "define Javelin" and "define spear" into Google, and read every entry that results, and you'll see that I am correct. It doesn't matter what the game calls it, whether the game calls it a spear or javelin is irrelevant. But when your argument is based on 'so called' historical information, that simply isn't true, your argument loses credibility.

And which 'so called' historical information is wrong, pray tell. I call BS unless you can provide something akin to proof that my 'information' is wrong.

Both from Dictionary.com

spear
-noun
1. a long, stabbing weapon for thrusting or throwing, consisting of a wooden shaft to which a sharp-pointed head, as of iron or steel, is attached.

javelin
–noun
1. a light spear, usually thrown by hand.

Not quite the same thing. All javelins may be spears, but not all spears are javelins. The Short Spear is basically the Javelin, exemplified by the Principate Romans as the Pilum and the Migration Period Germanic tribes as the Angon. The Spear is basically the Hasta of the Late Roman Legions, which gave rise to the later Spear of the Freeman and so on and so forth.
Perhaps a constructive piece would be in order then... Instead of demanding that the spear be "fixed", show us what a "fixed" spear would look like in the PHB.

In 3.x you have the shortspear and longspear:
[b]Shortspear 1 gp 1d4 1d6
In 3.x you have the shortspear and longspear

Did you even buy the D&D 3.5 PHB, cause it seems you forgot the Spear (Short Spear, Spear and Longspear).

I think the shortspear works pretty well for your spear/shield fighting character...

Except its a casting/thrown weapon, which the common spear (Late Roman Hasta and subsequent Spears used by damn near everyone in Europe) was not. And that weapon was used in conjunction with the shield. We have pictoral, written as well as modern evidence to show that this was done.

If not, please show us what you have in mind to "fix" the spear.

Simple, remove the Range Increment and the Reach Ability from the Spear. Its 'balanced' vs the Short Spear and the Longspear.
So...

[b]Spear 2 gp 1d6 1d8
Is it just me or is this entire thread WAAAAAY after the fact???!!!

Even if we didn't already know what spears were going to be like in 4e, this thread is a bit on the late side, seeing as the book is already going to print.

But as it is, Wizards has already *clearly* revealed that there will be a 1-handed spear that's better than the crappy little shortspear.

Kobold Skirmisher; Level 1 Skirmisher
Small natural humanoid; XP 100
Initiative: +5; Senses: Perception +0; darkvision
HP 27; Bloodied 13
AC 15; Fortitude 11, Reflex 14, Will 13; see also trap sense
Speed 6
Spear (standard; at will) • Weapon
+6 vs. AC; 1d8 damage; see also mob attack
Combat Advantage
The kobold skirmisher deals an extra 1d6 damage on melee and ranged attacks against any target it has combat advantage against.
Mob Attack
The kobold skirmisher gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls per kobold ally adjacent to the target.
Shifty (minor; at will)
The kobold shifts 1 square as a minor action.
Trap Sense
The kobold gains a +2 bonus to all defenses against traps.
Alignment: Evil; Languages: Draconic
Skills: Acrobatics +8, Stealth +10, Thievery +10
Str 8 (-1) Dex 16 (+3) Wis 10 (+0)
Con 11 (+0) Int 6 (-2) Cha 15 (+2)
Equipment: Hide armor, light shield, spear

As you can see from this stat block, the kobold is using a spear and a light shield at the same time. And the spear he's using does 1d8, not 1d6. From what I can tell, being Small doesn't affect the damage your weapon deals (see: Halfling Paladin) so we can reasonably assume that the standard 4e spear will be a 1d8 damage, one-handed weapon, which is exactly what the OP was lobbying for. I for one am happy at the change, because for being such a mainstay weapon the spear has always sucked.

If anyone needs further proof, I have a few more kobold stat blocks, but this one was copied directly from an image of the actual MM stat block (no chance of error).
Sign In to post comments