Idol Worship vs Gods

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gods became Gods because they were Worshiped, IF Idols are worshiped they should be granted the same powers as a God with the same number of Worshipers.

The Paladin of the Face of Bo (a Graven Stone carried by twenty Clerics of the Face of Bo) followed by his Rock Carrying Clerics Marches into a village and orders the Locals to submit to their true god. The local cleric decides to resist and approaches the rock carrying clerics. The cleric is struck down by a lightning bolt that arcs out from the stone.

Any Comments?
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
Technically, D&D doesn't have to limit worship to gods. Take Eberron for example. Other than deific worship, you also have the following options available:

1) Pantheist worship (the Sovereign Host and the Dark Six)
2) Philosophic worship (the Path of Light, the Blood of Vol, the Path of Inspiration, the Dreaming Dark, the Reforged)
3) Nature sects (the Druid sects)
4) Creature worship (the Cults of the Dragon Below, the Dragon Cults of Seren, Radiant Idols)
5) Ancestor worship (the Undying Court, the Spirits of the Past)
6) Idol worship (the Church of the Silver Flame)
7) Hero worship (the Lord of Blades)

I'm probably missing some, but the point is that D&D doesn't limit worship to the single-god model.
There's also the simple dedication to a cause, as well, where you don't have to anthropomorphize the target of your worship.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Gods became Gods because they were Worshiped...

If you accept this statement as true for your campaign setting then no problem. Many other settings have Gods as the world creators. If they created the world or plane or whatever then they must have had their power long before they were being worshiped.

Btw if I was a cleric and my "true" god didn't stop me from being zapped by a dumb rock I'd be pretty p!ssed.
Gods became Gods because they were Worshiped, IF Idols are worshiped they should be granted the same powers as a God with the same number of Worshipers.

The Paladin of the Face of Bo (a Graven Stone carried by twenty Clerics of the Face of Bo) followed by his Rock Carrying Clerics Marches into a village and orders the Locals to submit to their true god. The local cleric decides to resist and approaches the rock carrying clerics. The cleric is struck down by a lightning bolt that arcs out from the stone.

Any Comments?

Hey! and what about secret cults? Are those gods weaker than the ones spreadly worshiped?

And then... if I have a cult dedicated to me, would I have the same power as Bane?

Just some things for you to consider for you house ruling.
Btw if I was a cleric and my "true" god didn't stop me from being zapped by a dumb rock I'd be pretty p!ssed.

True, standing in a town filled with worshipers, with a full temple with dozen of my fellow priests behind me, I'd expect a little support (divine and otherwise) in rejecting a minor cult.

But it all depends on the size and power of the cult and the size and power of the local temple though.
If you accept this statement as true for your campaign setting then no problem. Many other settings have Gods as the world creators. If they created the world or plane or whatever then they must have had their power long before they were being worshiped.

Well you wanted to know where forgotton gods go...they go make their own universe.

Dont say that about Face of Bo! It might zap you.
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html

Any Comments?

Why would anyone worship Cpt. Jack Harkness [assuming the Face of Bo was a Dr. Who/Torchwood refrence]? He's just an alien snogging tri-sexual prat...
People have and do worship stranger things.
tri-sexual as in he'd try anything once. Quote from the doctor: "Stop that!" said about 3 times in as many minutes as jack gives a smile at an attactive woman/man/alien...
Any Comments?

Then if you destroy all of a gods followers, you should get XP for destroying the god...

I have played in 1st edition games where this was the case. I figure they were based on that classic Star Trek espisode, "Who Mourns for Adonais?"
For whatever reason I thought this might be of interest to some people on this thread:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=971181

Any Comments?

Ah, but what were the gods before they became gods. If gods were nothing and were formed purely out of belief (or faith without belief in a specific god is enough to grant divine power), then yes the idol should gain some power. However, if the gods were something lesser, but still alive and sentient, before becoming gods, then the rock might be out of luck. Personally, my campaign would lean towards the latter. On that note, even if a PC were to begin gathering worshipers, my theory is that he should have a specific means of harnessing this power in order to ascend. Otherwise, that pantheon might start to get really crowded.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
All shall bow before the true might of Banjo the Clown!
All shall bow before the true might of Banjo the Clown!

for the OotS Reference.
Sign In to post comments