Some Ideas For 4e.

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Say your leg is broken, you would get an HP penallty. Basically if you ingure a bone, organ, artery, etc. you would would permantelly loose HP untill it was healed. While it heals the HP penallty gradually becomes less.
Ex: Broken Leg -3 HP
Almost Healed Leg -1 HP
Healed Leg -0 HP

When you rest and eat at the inn for a full day you gain full HP.

This one is going to be a little hard to explain. When you attack somebody and succsesfully hit you roll a d12 to see where you hit them. Some body parts give a damage bonus, some give no bonus, some give a negative bonus. For different monsters, people, etc. there are different charts. This chart I'm about to write is for a dwarven fighter with armour mostly on his right side.
Ex Chart:
12=Head +3 damage
11=Right Arm +1 damage To determine for which foot you hit you roll
10=Left Arm +0 damage a d2. 1=Right Foot 2=Left Foot.
9=Right Shoulder -2 damage
8=Left Shoulder -1 damage
7=Chest -4 damage
6=Right Ribcage +3 damage
5=Left Ribcage +0 damage
4=Stomach +4 damage
3=Right Leg +2 damage
2=Left Leg -1 damage
1=Left and Right Foot +0 damage
Say your leg is broken, you would get an HP penallty. Basically if you ingure a bone, organ, artery, etc. you would would permantelly loose HP untill it was healed. While it heals the HP penallty gradually becomes less.
Ex: Broken Leg -3 HP
Almost Healed Leg -1 HP
Healed Leg -0 HP

When you rest and eat at the inn for a full day you gain full HP.

This one is going to be a little hard to explain. When you attack somebody and succsesfully hit you roll a d12 to see where you hit them. Some body parts give a damage bonus, some give no bonus, some give a negative bonus. For different monsters, people, etc. there are different charts. This chart I'm about to write is for a dwarven fighter with armour mostly on his right side.
Ex Chart:
12=Head +3 damage
11=Right Arm +1 damage To determine for which foot you hit you roll
10=Left Arm +0 damage a d2. 1=Right Foot 2=Left Foot.
9=Right Shoulder -2 damage
8=Left Shoulder -1 damage
7=Chest -4 damage
6=Right Ribcage +3 damage
5=Left Ribcage +0 damage
4=Stomach +4 damage
3=Right Leg +2 damage
2=Left Leg -1 damage
1=Left and Right Foot +0 damage

I think a better way to represent severe injuries is by making it Constitution loss rather than Hit Point loss.

Moreover, making a location-based system for damage will slow the game quite a bit. I've played the Battletech RPG, and finding location, figuring damage soak... these things take up time.
This is exactly the kind of useless, terrible, minutae-focused idea that D&D has been getting *away* from since 2E.
I think a better way to represent severe injuries is by making it Constitution loss rather than Hit Point loss.

Moreover, making a location-based system for damage will slow the game quite a bit. I've played the Battletech RPG, and finding location, figuring damage soak... these things take up time.

I was expecting youd say that about the "slowing part"
A broken leg worth only 3 hps? Seems to me a broken leg would be more along the lines of: 1/3 move, -4 penalty to all actions, -8 penalty vs bull rush and overrun.

I do like specific injuries in the game though, which is why I use a combination of vitality points and wound levels instead of hit points.
I like the way SWSE does it. they have HP which act as vitality and then if you take a lot of damage in one hit you take a more debilitating damage. This keeps the game form slowing down while still making it so you probably won't be at 1 HP and still fighting with no problems.
SWSE's "condition track" is the most common game-design way to factor in injury and such (and avoid the "fighting as well at 1 HP as at full HP" issue).
Hit Locations are usually a very, very bad idea.
A) They slow the game down by the added steps
B) They usually lead to Called Shot systems (Are you trying to tell me I, a 20th level master of armed combat, can't decide to not strike at my foe's legs?), which are in turn slower and very commonly unbalanced
C) They usually have either incredibly minor affects (Like this one, I see a lot of +0 damage, that's an added step to not affect my damage roll at all), or far too great affects.

Furthermore, do you intend to make a different hit location chart for, not just every monster, but every humanoid who uses a custom armor pattern?

A final nitpick: What is the Chest if it doesn't cover any of: Right Ribcage, Left Ribcage, or Stomach. And why does hitting someone in the chest reduce my damage, but hitting slightly to the side deal increase it?
You make a good point. My ideas suck.
You make a good point. My ideas suck.

It's not that the idea sucks, it's just unrefined. The hardest part about a called-shot system is speed and balance. If you can come up with a way to keep both while still having hit locations, it could work, but that's the issue. 4E is about fast paced play, where you aren't slowed down to look up rules.

Basically, 3.5's way of doing called shots was Power Attack (reduced accuracy to hit for more damage). It'll be pretty hard to get more simple than that.

There's no such thing as a stupid idea. Unless you want to be kicked in the junk to improve your sperm count... that's the exception.
I'm very much not a fan of hit location systems for multiple reasons: they slow down combat, they assume that people are swinging randomly instead of trying for the best hit they can, they encourage the use of broken "called shot" mechanics to avoid the last point, they often impose arbitrary and random condition tracks, etc.

They also work very poorly when combined with an abstract HP system.

If you want a system that makes use of hit locations and somewhat more realistic combat mechanics, I *highly* recommend that you check out The Riddle of Steel, by Driftwood Publishing. A combat system needs to be built with such rules in mind from the group up to work. Tacking a random roll and random penalties on D&D's system would merely result in a repeat of all the half-baked systems of the 80's.
There's no such thing as a stupid idea. Unless you want to be kicked in the junk to improve your sperm count... that's the exception.

Yes that is a very, very stupid idea ^_^
If you want a location-based system, I'd suggest going with something like 2e Player's Option: Combat and Tactics. It had an optional location-based system, but only for critical hits. It made crits more exciting (praying for a head shot every time), but since it wasn't used for normal hits, it didn't slow down the game as much.

Also, it had lasting penalties for severe injuries, based on severity and location (legs had penalties to move, arms penalties to attack, etc.). Severed limbs inflicted a loss of HP based on percentage (although this could be removed by regeneration, or offset by artificial appendages, like a wooden leg or hook for a hand). The book also explained how long it took for these injuries to heal and how much HP worth of magical healing could remove them. The severity of the injury was based on the size of the weapon compared to the size of the opponent.

When I converted it to 3e I also added modifiers for the critical damage multiplier of the weapon, damage reduction of the target, and armor worn by the target.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Sign In to post comments