Choice of names: Attacks of Opportunity, Opportunity Attacks

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all,

It struck me that the phrase "Attack of opportunity" was cumbersome when 3.0 first came out, but I started using it and now its a familiar friend. Even though it is cumbersome to say, I'm used to it.

So, out come the playtest reports, and the blogs, and whatnot, and I hear the phrase "Opportunity Attack", and I think "Hey, thats a little better. I mean, its not my old friend the A-double-O, but at least its a word shorter." Then I realized, what are they trying to say when they say "A monster provokes." What is it doing?

Its creating an opening. There, a simple term anyone can recognize, three syllables long. So, "As the hobgoblin tries to slash at the badly wounded wizards, he provokes an Opportunity Attack from the fighter" becomes "As the hobgoblin slashes at the badly wounded wizard, he creates an opening for the fighter."

I mean, we're all used to saying "Provokes an Attack of Opportunity", and now sure, we'd get used to saying "Provokes an Opportunity Attack", but how about we make it even simpler and just say "Creates an Opening."

Replace the text "provokes and opportunity attack" with "Creates an Opening" - I feel its clearer, and easier to say. What do you think?
Because all opportunity attacks might not be triggered by openings? Like ones that are triggered by your opponent flanking you.

The Greendale Campaign

I was there at the dawn of the Third-and-a-Halfth Age of Dungeons & Dragons. I saw action during the Crisis of Infinite Foundations, stood on the ramparts of the Citadel of Mirth, delved deep into the debauchery of the Forum of the Adult, and fought alongside the Infernal Bovine on the fields of the Eberron War. I weathered the Ponystorm. I witnessed as the orcs came for the wizos, and I wept mightily. I saw the realm crack as the Fourth Age came upon us, and I witnessed the eldritch tendrils of the dread Gleemax. Now I watch as the Meta Wars ravage the land as the Fifth Age is dawning. I have walked these Boarderlands for many a long year, and bear many scars in my soul. Yet I remain the White Sorcerer, ever in your service. TWS out.

Because all opportunity attacks might not be triggered by openings? Like ones that are triggered by your opponent flanking you.

Well, if you are going to defend yourself against two dudes surrounding you, your defense is gonna have more holes than a french cheese.

CaoSlayer has a good response to this particular instance, but you make a good point in dealing with the whole "Active vs. Passive" problem; if 4th edition allows for "passive" actions provoking, like "The hobgoblin -doesn't- attack the party fighter" causing a monster to create an opening requires verbal gymnastics on the part of the DM to explain it. D&D is a game of imagination, but still - simpler is better.
...because this is D&D, where Opportunity doesn't just knock.
What do you think?

I prefer Opening of Opportunity. That way the acronym would be "OoO" and DMs could alternate between trying to sound spooky with it or intoning the word like high school kids do when put-downs are exchanged.
Well, if you are going to defend yourself against two dudes surrounding you, your defense is gonna have more holes than a french cheese.

You misunderstand. I meant the defender getting to make an opportunity attack.

The Greendale Campaign

I was there at the dawn of the Third-and-a-Halfth Age of Dungeons & Dragons. I saw action during the Crisis of Infinite Foundations, stood on the ramparts of the Citadel of Mirth, delved deep into the debauchery of the Forum of the Adult, and fought alongside the Infernal Bovine on the fields of the Eberron War. I weathered the Ponystorm. I witnessed as the orcs came for the wizos, and I wept mightily. I saw the realm crack as the Fourth Age came upon us, and I witnessed the eldritch tendrils of the dread Gleemax. Now I watch as the Meta Wars ravage the land as the Fifth Age is dawning. I have walked these Boarderlands for many a long year, and bear many scars in my soul. Yet I remain the White Sorcerer, ever in your service. TWS out.

Sign In to post comments