Tiamat: What will its domains be?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can anyone guess what the domains of Tiamat and Bahamut are? Also, any idea if paladins will be able to choose odmains this time around, or at least gain different powers/abilities dpending on the deity they follow?
Do we even know if 4E will be using the domain system?

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
Do we even know if 4E will be using the domain system?

^ Agreed.

Thats what's really important. How will 4E represent each deities' unique aspects and granted powers?
I think Tiamat will keep the same domains it had in earlier editions.
Does everyone just open up threads and then think long and hard how they can sound like a wise-ass punk before replying?

I asked an honest question. If you choose to interpret it differently, that's your problem, not mine.
I think Tiamat will keep the same domains it had in earlier editions.

My point was: We don't even know if 4E is going to be using a Domain system, or (if it is) that it will be similar to the current Domain system. So saying "the domains will be the same" is a bit presumptive at this point.

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
My point was: We don't even know if 4E is going to be using a Domain system, or (if it is) that it will be similar to the current Domain system. So saying "the domains will be the same" is a bit presumptive at this point.

Just spit-balling ideas here, but I would not be surprised if most of the core aspects of what a cleric's spell-list would be integral to the class profile, however, certain things; like Undead Turning, Domain specific abilities/spells would then be made into customizable class features/talent trees.
Just spit-balling ideas here, but I would not be surprised if most of the core aspects of what a cleric's spell-list would be integral to the class profile, however, certain things; like Undead Turning, Domain specific abilities/spells would then be made into customizable class features/talent trees.

Oh, I don't doubt that there will be many similarities. But I don't know if whatever system they'll use in 4E is close enough to 3.x Domains to call them "the same".

I also think that since we lack so much information on the subject, speculation is pointless.

Fairbanks
Ok maybe I should have been more clear in my op.

I agree we don't know if domains will be in. (though I suspect the next 'class' article on insider will be about clerics which will tell us more). However, they were a cool concept so something like that will be in.

I personally would prefer if they got rid of the domain spells, and focused instead of powers,making them more useful over every level. I would also like if Paladin's could also have access to these 'domains'. Since pally's can be of any alignment now, it would also help diffrentiate them a bit.

I think it would be cool if a Paladin of Tiamat could cause his sword to burst into flame,and maybe be able to cause terrible damage for an encounter or so. (a power called: Talons of Tiamat! :D)

OTOH a pally of bahamut could exude dragonbreath-like effect.
I hope they do away with domains or lock them down a little more tightly. If you count all the Domains across all the splat books of 3e you have well over 50 different Domains. A lot of these end up being underwhelming or indistinct from others, with a lot of domain powers falling under the header "Huh, What, I Have a Domain Power?"

Since Spell schools are gone there's precedence for Domains to be gone too, but unlike spell school specialization which provided bonuses as a trade off, Domains have almost always been a bonus only (extra ability/spell/whatever). However they do want choices to be more meaningful over the life of the character, and provide greater opportunities for differentiating your character from all the others. Fighters and Wizards we know can choose to focus on a given weapon or instrument, and from that they gain greater specialization and efficacy, but at the trade off of not advancing a racial feature or more generalized ability.

Basically my best guess is that Domains will be out and will instead be replaced with something much tighter. A dozen schools of magic (being the former Wizard focus) were transmuted into three Instruments (even if the two are not corollary, they are at least analogous). Divine types will likely have a similar option available that replaces wading through dozens of mediocre domains.

Clerics are a Divine Leader, and we know that they are the most competent healers. While the "healbot" role is generally unpopular to be stuck in, there are those who enjoy it, and healing is important enough that it will likely have its own branch of specialty. Leaders inspire, heal, buff, and enable. We know they want Clerics to get back to the job of being Patrons and not just divine spellcasters, so there's a good chance that "I am a Cleric of a general idea" is gone. A lot of Deities are being demoted, and the Pantheon as a whole is reduced in size. It's quite possible that each Deity has a "career path" analogous to Weapon, Instrument, or Pact choice. Since healing is being, generally, decentralized a party without a Cleric isn't boned in order to accommodate the Leader/Blaster/Controller/Defender party architecture, allowing those who like the Cleric's job but not style can play a Warlord or whatever Arcane Leader they put into the game.
Can anyone guess what the domains of Tiamat and Bahamut are? Also, any idea if paladins will be able to choose odmains this time around, or at least gain different powers/abilities dpending on the deity they follow?

Well, will it matter? With the gods hacked down to PC-level power and PCs able to hit level 30 in the same time they hit 20 now, Tiamat will be getting butchered more often than Orcus was in 1st.

A better question will be... what domains do I want my PC to give when I turn demi-god so my next PC can use them.

@mikemearls don't quite understand the difference

I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down. - Eric Cartman

Enough chitchat!  Time is candy! - Pinky Pie

Okay... how about we reflavor the question:

"What sorts of special abilities will the various divinely-fueled classes that happen to venerate Tiamat have due to her gifting them with power?"