Building/buying weapons with predictable results

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
One thing I don't like in 3e is that many exotic weapons are exotic in flavor only. Some exotics have counterparts in the standard weapons, only the name, art, and description are different. Why charge more for flavor? Flavor should be completely independent of mechanics.

To that end, I hope that 4e weapons will be built from exact rules (scaled for power level) based on clearly defined roles for weapons in combat. From these same rules (possibly given explicitly in the DMG), I should be able to build my own weapon, with my own flavor, and know that the typical DM and I will agree 100% on its price and prereqs.

Has WoTC said anything regarding the core weapon mechanics?
Yes. I hope they release some nice build your own weapon mechanics like this.

Though I think they hinted that there would be specific feats and ablilities for different weapons, so building your own might be a lot of work.
Though I think they hinted that there would be specific feats and ablilities for different weapons, so building your own might be a lot of work.

That's where roles should come in to play. A weapon that plays the same role as a halberd should meet the prereqs for the same feats as a halberd. The flavor may change; but the mechanics should work the same, I would think. A DM could houserule this sort of thing, but I think it would be better for them to design it from the get-go. That's particularly true if they ever want to fix the crafting system.