Unarmed Combat = Lethal?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Star Wars Saga Edition dumped non-lethal combat damage with unarmed strikes. Personally, I like it. It simply makes the game easier. Besides, with the condition track, you don't need nonlethal damage anymore.

Do we know if 4e is going this same route?
I hope so. 3E initially started with the point of view that some things should never be equal no matter how many feats you pour into it (Slings and non-monk UA Strikes come to mind.) That was dumb.
I hope it is. The condition track handles everything so well. Who knows if this mechanic will be used, though it should. It never made sense to me why I couldn't beat someone to death with my bare hands. It's not like something like that has ever happened in real life.:rolleye2:
I hope it is. The condition track handles everything so well. Who knows if this mechanic will be used, though it should. It never made sense to me why I couldn't beat someone to death with my bare hands. It's not like something like that has ever happened in real life.:rolleye2:

Actually, you could - once non-lethal damage took you to 0, you were dealing lethal damage instead.
I'm also a fan of the d20 Modern way of dealing with it, which, if I recall does away with non-lethal damage entirely. Either one knocks out one's oppnonent in a hit or one does not.
Bloody bar brawls and the like are dealt with by the fighters taking the -4 to do real damage and actual sports matches are done by taking feats and talents to improve the likelihood of a knock-down blow. (for which, it is presumed, his fist is ever ready for)
The other option to really harm people with fists and feats was the martial artist advanced class which I really liked in that setting also.

Probably not the best for D&D, which has a higher-powered more heroic feel than Modern does.
Actually, you could - once non-lethal damage took you to 0, you were dealing lethal damage instead.

Don't think it does, but instead you're able to coup de grace them since they're unconscious and helpless.
I'm also a fan of the d20 Modern way of dealing with it, which, if I recall does away with non-lethal damage entirely. Either one knocks out one's oppnonent in a hit or one does not.
Bloody bar brawls and the like are dealt with by the fighters taking the -4 to do real damage and actual sports matches are done by taking feats and talents to improve the likelihood of a knock-down blow. (for which, it is presumed, his fist is ever ready for)
The other option to really harm people with fists and feats was the martial artist advanced class which I really liked in that setting also.

Probably not the best for D&D, which has a higher-powered more heroic feel than Modern does.

d20 Modern actually has both lethal and nonlethal damage. You can take some feats that allow more nonlethal damage (like Brawl) that have no impact on lethal damage. Still, with d20 Modern, there are too many feats, IMO, for unarmed combat. Again, SECR did a fine job of simplifying unarmed.
Stun damage needs to stay, and I'm confident it will. There has to be a way to subdue people without killing them for those of us who don't play homicidal maniacs.
I hope it is.

I don't think it is; looking at the Spined Devil stats there is no mention of "Threshold", only "Bloodied".
Perhaps "Bloodied" is the D&D spin on "Threshold."
Perhaps "Bloodied" is the D&D spin on "Threshold."

Bloodied is a condition you reach when at half hp, which can trigger special abilities/enable you to pull off special moves etc.
Thanks for the insight.
Stun damage needs to stay, and I'm confident it will. There has to be a way to subdue people without killing them for those of us who don't play homicidal maniacs.

Leave non-lethal in as an option, sure, I love to subdual someone to unconsciousness. But lethal should be an option from the get-go.
if you want to keep non-lethal, I would say that instead of having two damage types, non-lethal weapons (including fists) stop dealing damage once an opponent reaches -1, and auto-stabilizes. If you continue to hit them after that, it keeps going down (like stomping your opponent in unarmed combat) and can kill them. It's simple and effective.
There should be easier ways to knock someone out. Not beeing able to knock players out makes it really difficult to not kill them (like in "the gamers" movie)

I personally allow a coup de grace with your fist, to insta knock out a helpless target, but i donĀ“t think its enough!