Mounted combat. Has anything been said?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Have the designers mentioned anything about mounted combat in 4e? I hope its on the list.
Have the designers mentioned anything about mounted combat in 4e? I hope its on the list.

Nothing said at all. I would assume that some rules would get included somewhere. But it doesn't look like it will get any more detailing then 3e.

Jay
There are rules for it in the DMG and player options for it in the PH. It's in the DMG because DMs have the option of giving out mounts and using them as extra party members (like in 3e), or using rules similar to the mount rules in the latest set of D&D Minis.

We also allow the option for DMs to mix the two: mounts that are low intelligence or that don't normally attack in melee use rules similar to DDM, a creature like a dragon uses rules similar to 3e (it's effectively an extra PC).

-------------------------------

Answers to rules questions are meant to be helpful advice or insights, not canonical R&D dictates. Treat them as unofficial, but (hopefully) useful.

Thanks, Mike.

I don't use mounts much, but it's good to know the rules will be there for me when I need them.
There are rules for it in the DMG and player options for it in the PH. It's in the DMG because DMs have the option of giving out mounts and using them as extra party members (like in 3e), or using rules similar to the mount rules in the latest set of D&D Minis.

We also allow the option for DMs to mix the two: mounts that are low intelligence or that don't normally attack in melee use rules similar to DDM, a creature like a dragon uses rules similar to 3e (it's effectively an extra PC).

A tangent, but please, can you put rules about X in one place? As a new D&D player in 2001-02, I found it extremely difficult to learn how the heck the game worked because the fundamental rules were split so irrationally between the DMG and the PHB.

I think looking at it in terms of audience--"is this rule going to be for players or for DMs?"--is outdated. I've done both, and even just when I was a player, I wanted to know how terrain affected my movement, for example. Except that was in the DMG. And a wizard trying to get a familiar? Reference the DMG please. Increase weapon size? DMG. Death? Split between both. All of this makes planning and rules-checking really obnoxious.

This may be fixed somewhat with the digital stuff in 4E, but I'd still like to see better planning. Thanks.