4E speculation character

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I decided to use what (little) we have all seen so far about 4E and make a Speculative fighter. I used what I have pulled from SAGA and off of the Devil Mini card.

I know this may be way off by June '08, but this is just for fun.

I decided to just convert one of my current characters. I felt that showing a character with mid level would allow the new (speculative) system.

Please join in if you want.

Sterling Von Thornwood
Human Fighter 6

Abilities*
STR 16 (+6) DEX 14 (+5) CON 14 (+5) INT 14 (+5) WIS 10 (+3) CHA 10 (+3)
BAB +6

HP/Bloodied 87/43**

Defenses
AC 21 (+8 Mithril Full Plate, +3 level)
REF 16(+3dex, +3 level)
FORT 20 (+5con, +3 level, +2 armor***)
WILL 16 (+3wis, +3 level)

Feats: Armor Prof (light, medium, heavy), Simple Weapon Prof, Martial Weapon Prof (All), Shield Prof (All), Improved Unarmed Strike I, Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Melee Defense, Whirlwind attack, Trip, Combat Reflexes, Rapid Strike
Talents: Expert Grappler, Melee Smash, Weapon Specialization (Greatsword)
Skills: Climb (+11), Endurance (+10), Initiative (+10), Jump (+11), Perception (+8)****

Attacks +13 Greatsword (2d6+14)*****
+11 Greatsword w/ rapidstrike (3d6+14)
+12 Unarmed (1d6+6)
+10 Unarmed w/ rapidstrike (2d6+6)
+14 Trip (grapple)

*Ability modifiers are like 3.x plus ½ character level
**Like SAGA, three times the amount of HP at 1st level
***Like SAGA, some armor grants Fort bonuses
****Like SAGA, Trained Skills are +5
*****Also like SAGA, Two-handed weapons deal double Str damage
I have a feeling that stat modifiers count half your level only for checks. For some reason, adding half your level to your hp when you gain levels seems a little excessive.
Remember he needs to have some per encounter, at will, and per day abilities! And the abilities need to be at least partially inspired by the cool things you can do with the weapon...

Lets see, cool things you can do with a greatsword... you can parry with it, you can close and hit someone with the hilt, you can half-sword with it for more piercing blows against armor, you can bind an opponents weapon so he can't use it for a little while...and of course, you can strike with it. Things like that.
I have a feeling that stat modifiers count half your level only for checks. For some reason, adding half your level to your hp when you gain levels seems a little excessive.

I'm in agreement here. The 1/2 level STR mods, etc. Probably won't apply to the defenses, hit points, etc. because you're already adding in your level to the defenses, anyway. You're basically got +1 1/2 times level working into the defenses! I'm guessing that part's more like star wars saga edition.
Gee... I was really hoping, that the stat system would work the way vagabonvoid suggested. You would have to drop the level bonus for saves, and maybe ajust the bab level progression. It would be so easy to make characters this way!
We've also seen that the Fighter will have a way to heal himself, at least somewhat.

Also in SWSE you do add your Level Bonus to Defenses (Saves), but not to Ability Modifiers. Now I understand you based that on the Devil card we saw, but if you add the Level Bonus to the Ab Mod and the Def you are doubling up and that seems like it would violate the stacking rules.

Edit: After double checking the Spined Devil card the Defenses do look like 10 + 1/2 Level + Ability Mod so that might be accurate.
Sign In to post comments