4th Edition: Heal Skill

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Healing hitpoints with a skill check?

Is this what they really said in the Podcast?

I guess the Warlord makes a little more sense that way.
Healing hitpoints with a skill check?
Is this what they really said in the Podcast?

Yup. Makes me wonder if they're stealing a little from NWN.
Please, please let them steal the Lore skill too for identifying items. Death to the identify spell!
Please, please let them steal the Lore skill too for identifying items. Death to the identify spell!

This could be a subset of the spellcraft skill. You could id magic items with a successful spellcraft check according to the ELH, but the dcs were atrocious, so I guess they will need to be ratcheted down to make their benefits more accessible.
Presumably hit points in 4E will serve dual function (or rather, the dual nature of evading severe injuries altogether and simply shrugging off hits which has always been what hit points represent is now being formalized), so it only makes sense that you can restore hit points with first aid. If loss of hit points means you get exhausted during a fight, you should regain them from something as simple as having a sip of water.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

If HP from before reaching the Bloodied condition are just Exhaustion and Moral, and the hit points after reaching the Bloodied condition are you know Meat...
If HP from before reaching the Bloodied condition are just Exhaustion and Moral, and the hit points after reaching the Bloodied condition are you know Meat...

Is there a discussion of D&D condition track that I missed? Please link if possible. :D
I personally am a huge fan of condition track, it very acurately shows how you can get worn down during a taxing encounter. Much less abstract than HP only system!
We think it's a simplified track where you reach Bloodied at 1/2 hit points.

Pretty sure it's just Healthy-Bloodied-Unconscious-Dead as far as conditions go.

Read the "stat card" thread over in the Monsters Forum.
I'd love a Heal skill that actually, you know, healed things. So this sounds awesome.
I really hope, that the heal skill will not only let you heal some hp, but also allows to mix up some mundane healing potions.
One realistc thing for the Heal skill is that it could bring the target back to above bloodied condition with a certain DC; that way, it couldn't be used costantly to heal, but it would keep an ally at enough HP to fight monsters well.
Ok has there been a confirmation of the condition track, people keep talking about it like a forgone conclusion like eladrins and teiflings and I haven't seen anything that makes it any more of speculation. It's not that I'm against it, I just have had people argue with me about the track when I've seen nothing to say it is in.

As to seeing heal, I would love for heal to be a useful skill that you could use to A) speed up your own healing when you rest

B) heal a small amount of HP say max 20 without magical healing

C) discern weak points on monsters to boost your critical range (DC based on CR and anatomy with those that have no discernable anatomy being epic level to correctly guage.

D) slow the effects of poison, not as well as delay poison, but to some degree

E) if there is a condition track affect your status on the track.

basically I've put ranks in heal only for the versamilitude of the character, never having used the skill once. And I want heal to be a skill that becomes useful for characters.
Bloodied at 1/2 hit points is confirmed.

So it's kind of a very basic condition tract.

Unless there's more to it and we just don't know yet. I'd highly prefer that it was kept simple though....
Ok has there been a confirmation of the condition track, people keep talking about it like a forgone conclusion like eladrins and teiflings and I haven't seen anything that makes it any more of speculation. It's not that I'm against it, I just have had people argue with me about the track when I've seen nothing to say it is in.

You could, you know, try reading the previews and staff blogs...

Yep...

Then again when there are only two conditions... Normal and Bloodied, is it really worth the time to call it a Condition Track and all that term can applied (especially considering people will think about the Condition Track in SAGA).

I suggest we stop calling it a Condition Track to avoid confusion and just stick to the one thing we DO know. At 1/2 HP you are Bloodied and that affects game play. No need to mention a track as there is only ONE change in state.
No need to mention a track as there is only ONE change in state.

5 changes...

Fine, Bloodied, Zero, Bleeding, Dead.
You could, you know, try reading the previews and staff blogs...

Yes because I haven't read any of the design and development articles I have read the previews and haven't seen a single thing on a condition track. And as far as the blogs go, you may want to sift through tons of garbled well I can't tell you x but if we do have it it'll be good, but I don't.