D&D 4e release date changed

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I figure 4e rules is probably the best place to post this... as they are all rulebooks... I haven't found it posted anywhere else.

Found here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dramp/20071019
4E Release Date

Finally, I wanted to share this last bit of exciting news with everyone. After conferring with our various trade partners, the Sales Team here at Wizards came back with word that they'd rather have the three core rulebooks release in the same month than over three consecutive months. As that's how we originally wanted to release them, Brand and R&D got together with our Production Team to see if we could accommodate the request.

The answer is YES! The new release schedule looks like this:

April: D&D Miniatures Game Starter and Dungeons of Dread boosters.

May: H1: Keep on the Shadowfell 4th Edition D&D adventure with Quick-Start Rules.

June 6: 4th Edition Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual.

We delay the original release date of the first book by a couple of weeks, but we put all three books on the shelves at the same time. Many of you asked us to do this, and I'm glad to report that we can make it happen. All the core rules will be available at the same time!

I've got a few more things to tell you about, but I'm all out of room for this column. I'll just have to catch up with you next time. 'Til then...

Keep playing!

--Bill Slavicsek

Well that is nice, now I can get them all shipped to me for a discount.
Well, I am a bit disappointed. It means an addition month to get the PHB and the first 4e Adventure.

I don't get the uproar of the staggered release, you only need the PHB to play. That's how my group started with 3e, it didn't stop us from playing. And I've heard the argument about that they should release them together as they are being done at the same time, but that's not really true. PHB is in editing, MM is almost there, and the DMG is being developed now. If they went on schedule, that would mean each one hit the printers on seperate consecutive months.

I'd rather get my stuff ASAP, and for the low budget minded they either need to save up to buy at once or they are buying them staggered anyway. Just don't get the need.
Weren't they going on about how a staggered release would be better for retailers? Do they no longer care about retailers, or was that just a rationalization to appease those who complained?
Weren't they going on about how a staggered release would be better for retailers? Do they no longer care about retailers, or was that just a rationalization to appease those who complained?

After conferring with our various trade partners,

I think they did talk to the retailers, or "trade partners" to see whether they would be able to accommodate a simultaneous release, and at least a majority said "yeah, we can do that."

At least that's the way I'm reading it.
I think they did talk to the retailers, or "trade partners" to see whether they would be able to accommodate a simultaneous release, and at least a majority said "yeah, we can do that."

At least that's the way I'm reading it.

There are lots of retailers out there... I doubt they could have conferred with even a significant fraction of them. But maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps they looked into it in other ways.
What are you talking about? A big modernized company like Hasbro can easily talk to a significant portion of its retailers in an afternoon. If you can't do that, you need better distribution infrastructure.
Yeah, I'm a little bummed about the later release date too; and yeah, we get the other two books earlier and the PHB is only a couple weeks later (according to Bill), but heck, with the mini's being 4E already and most of the rules in the PHB, being able to run a couple of games to wait for the MM, and then another three or so for the DMG (does this book really change edition from edition? I swear, most of the "how to run a game" gunk is reprinted through the ages. Don't believe me? Check out the Catacombs guide in 2nd edition and the DMG2...there's a lot of similarities, not only in the content, but the manner in which it presented.)

I'm sure we'll live though.

Rumor is that WotC sales are dismal following the announcement of fourth edition (imagine that). This has everything to do with getting the complete set of 4e books on the shelves ASAP, instead of having people wait until they can pick up the set of three at a discount.

The effect on retailers isn't a consideration.

Ed
Yet this isn't getting the product on the shelves faster. They didn't bump up the release date of the MM or DMG, they pushed back the release date of the PHB and MM.
Aesop had it right 2,500 years ago, "By endeavoring to please everyone, he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain".
Personally, I'd like to see them delay it a little longer.... like until 2010, so I don't feel like I threw as much money away on 3.5 products. ;)

EDIT: Before anyone overreacts, I am just joking. Honestly, I'm getting really excited about 4e from everything I've read - aside from the weird character archetypes (striker, defender, etc) it sounds fantastic so far.
Yet this isn't getting the product on the shelves faster. They didn't bump up the release date of the MM or DMG, they pushed back the release date of the PHB and MM.

Unless my math is off...

The original Release dates were

PHB: May
MM: June
DMG: July

The revised release date:

PHB, MM, & DMG: June

Thus the PHB is being pushed back, the MM is unchanged (or a little earlier if they had the original release in mid june, and now it's early june) and the DMG is being released earlier.
I say "boo" to the change in release date if it means a rushed low-quality product.

Take your time and do a good job. Learn from Blizzard!