PHB Gods

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
No idea where the best place to put this question would be so here it goes: Will we get a list of the gods/portfolios that are in the PHB anytime soon? I am starting to write up a game world to use when 4e is first released. Just something interesting to kick the new rules around in and it would be helpful to know the gods that are going to be presented. I don't need any mechanical info on them, just the names and what they hold power over.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a pantheon presented. Unlike 3E, the core books are setting-neutral this time around.

My best advice, if you need the information now, is to either use one of the published campaign settings (even though their pantheons may see changes with 4E) or create your own pantheon.
Yeah, trying to avoid making my own as we have no idea how the gods are going to function mechanically in 4e. Don't want to create a god and then have a headache later trying to make it work within the new mechanics. I plan to use Eberron again eventually. Just want to have something to fiddle with while waiting for update info to be released. Also a few of my friends like the idea of working on a new world as a group.

I thought I saw something about them planning to put some gods in the PHB (which makes sense, need to use something to show how god/cleric interaction works) and hoping they will release a list of the example gods they are adding to the PHB.
If are setting neutral or godless...

What does Orcus in the MM cover?

PD: wrong book.
Yeah, trying to avoid making my own as we have no idea how the gods are going to function mechanically in 4e. Don't want to create a god and then have a headache later trying to make it work within the new mechanics. I plan to use Eberron again eventually. Just want to have something to fiddle with while waiting for update info to be released. Also a few of my friends like the idea of working on a new world as a group.

Just stick with concepts for now; that's the biggest challenge in creating a pantheon anyway. Then you can flesh out the stats in May, and be good to go.

If are setting neutral or godless...

What does Orcus in the DMG cover?

Hehe, never said I thought it would be godless. There will probably be a few examples, but I'm not expecting a structured pantheon.
I supose this could branch into another interesting question for the designers, how easy will it be to design gods in 4e?
Asmodeus, Corellon, Obad-Hai, and Tharizdun have all been mentioned in 4e previews. The cosmology article also mentioned Vecna (but didn't call him a deity explicitly), and a deity called Zehir is mentioned in the flavor text of a mini from the upcoming set.

The Greendale Campaign

I was there at the dawn of the Third-and-a-Halfth Age of Dungeons & Dragons. I saw action during the Crisis of Infinite Foundations, stood on the ramparts of the Citadel of Mirth, delved deep into the debauchery of the Forum of the Adult, and fought alongside the Infernal Bovine on the fields of the Eberron War. I weathered the Ponystorm. I witnessed as the orcs came for the wizos, and I wept mightily. I saw the realm crack as the Fourth Age came upon us, and I witnessed the eldritch tendrils of the dread Gleemax. Now I watch as the winds of change sweep the land as the Fifth Age is dawning. I have walked these Boarderlands for many a long year, and bear many scars in my soul. Yet I remain the White Sorcerer, ever in your service. TWS out.

From what I've read it seems like they are going to provide a "grab bag" of gods borrowing from the whole of D&D past and real-world myths. It will probably mostly Greyhawk deities with a few odd ones thrown in for even distribution of portfolios (I've heard Thor mentioned). I think they are aiming for gods with "traction".

I imagine it will be mechanically simple to have a pantheon with whatever deities and portfolios you desire. After all, Eberron and Forgotten Realms are getting converted to 4e with their own set of deities.
My hope would be that the core books would present some kind of a "default" campaign. At present, it sounds like the Greyhawk deities with some bonus bits.

Not to threadjack, but whatever WoTC does with its settings, they all need to be supported. If they're going to go with FR, Eberron, and Greyhawk, then they all need their own campaign books, deities, races, maps, adventures, monsters, etc. While a lot of the FR folks like to gripe about it not being supported, it got a lot more support than Greyhawk did -- Greyhawk was largely presumed to be "handled" by the core books and Living Greyhawk.

I would much rather see WoTC produce more campaign content than rulebooks for character options.

I'd be curious to know how many home campaigns are run in "homebrew" settings and how many used published settings. I personally haven't played in a true homebrew world for over 7 years, playing mostly in Greyhawk and Kalamar.
I certainly don't mind having some default flavor going on. It has been said that there will be a fully realised starting town in the DMG, so some gods to go along with a setting would be nice.
Otherwise they could provide a list of domains or their 4e equivalent powers and fill out the traditional divine roles, maybe?
War? Check.
Wisdom and/or Magic? Check.