Abilities in 4e

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greetings, all. I'm wondering if there will be any change to how abilities work in 4e; in 3.x, all the good stuff happens only on the evens above 10, which is kinda lame if the point you put in brings the score to an odd number. Something I've always played around with is spreading the bonuses between the numbers.

Strength, for example, affects melee attack, melee damage, and carrying capacity. Why not, on odd numbers melee attack goes up, and on even, damage? (with carrying always going up).

Con, fort saves, HP, some class abilities. Same thing. On odds, the fort and class abilities go up; on evens, HP.

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
We're wondering that too, and it doesn't seem like it'll quite be the same way it was in 3rd Edition, but it won't be the 2nd Ed. AD&D mess either. Gods, that was awful... Remember the tables for stuff like Wisdom? Or the resurrection chance for Constitution? Ridiculously overcomplicated.

Saw a Spined Devil that got a +5 ability score modifier from 15 Dex... That's new.
Saw a Spined Devil that got a +5 ability score modifier from 15 Dex... That's new.

Actually, that is not new at all. It is a Dexterity Check in SWSE. 1/2 level + ability modifier. In the case of the Spined devil: 6/2 + (15 -10)/2 rounded down= 3 + 2 = 5.
Greetings, all. I'm wondering if there will be any change to how abilities work in 4e; in 3.x, all the good stuff happens only on the evens above 10, which is kinda lame if the point you put in brings the score to an odd number. Something I've always played around with is spreading the bonuses between the numbers.

Strength, for example, affects melee attack, melee damage, and carrying capacity. Why not, on odd numbers melee attack goes up, and on even, damage? (with carrying always going up).

Con, fort saves, HP, some class abilities. Same thing. On odds, the fort and class abilities go up; on evens, HP.

So far it looks like no big change there. More likely what will change is that characters stats go up faster, so the odd stat problem isn't as big.

Jay

Unnecessarily complicated and cumbersome. This is also accounted for by having most feat ability score prerequisites be odd numbers.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Sign In to post comments