What is happening with multiple attacks?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
I heard multiattacks per round are out. Could someone varify this?
We can't confirm it, we can only cite SWSE rules, which eliminate iterative attacks. No evidence contradicts this, however.
Yes, I am a defender apologist. A Rock and a Hard Place: A Warden Handbook
I can not. I hope they are working something new out. One thing I hated in 3.X is armor is useless with the 1st attack. The 1st one always deal damage. Armor is really to stop attacks 2 and 3. Or limit the other guy's power attack.
I can't confirm or disconfirm it either. But, FWIW, I thought I'd point out that Saga has a feat that gives a second attack, and other feat that gives a third attack. So multiple attacks may still be possible, even if a high BAB doesn't automatically give you them.
I'm pretty sure that multiple attacks per round aren't out. The ranger in the playtest Tomb Under the Tor fires two arrows in a round.

"That poor goblin fired on Heron, missing but triggering an immediate counterattack from the ranger, who followed up with two more arrows on his turn." (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drpr/20070831a)

It's in the sixth paragraph.
Mind you, "two arrows" is questionably vague, and could very well simply indicate a 'rapid shot' ability or some equivalent, rather than an actual two seperate attacks.
As with all of us, this is pure speculation.

As I understand it, multiple attacks based on BAB are out. It slows down the game too much. Instead, you do more damage as you rise in level (just as in SWSE). There's every reason to think that Rapid Shot, Manyshot, or other feats could exist to give multiple attacks in a round, but the new system would greatly speed up the game, making multiple attacks the exception rather than the rule. I'm all for it, and I hope it's true; only time will tell.

Also keep in mind that somewhere on these boards is a forum that shows an image of the new 4.0 mini cards. (If you start under Races, and go to the thread "Drow are Fey?" or something like that, you'll find a link to the mini card thread.) It shows definite connections to SWSE (which isn't surprising), such as Perception as a skill and movement measured in squares rather than feet.
I can't confirm or disconfirm it either. But, FWIW, I thought I'd point out that Saga has a feat that gives a second attack, and other feat that gives a third attack. So multiple attacks may still be possible, even if a high BAB doesn't automatically give you them.

The multiple attacks in SWSE still require a full action, and they have said they've done away with the full action mechanic.
Yes, I am a defender apologist. A Rock and a Hard Place: A Warden Handbook
The multiple attacks in SWSE still require a full action, and they have said they've done away with the full action mechanic.

I have not heard that. Could you provide a link?
I am in favor of getting rid of multiple attacks based on BAB. It will speed up the game greatly (1 attack roll and 1 damage roll). People rarely split their attacks anyway (unless the monster is killed). Note: Only giving 1 attack roll would make cleave an important skill.

Rather, have a damage bonus based on level like in Saga or better yet (IMO) have it give extra damage dice on a successful hit (instead of an extra attack; its assumed you are making several attacks in a round and here is the total damage; every 5 BAB = extra damage dice).

For example, a fighter with 0-5 BAB hits with a longsword and does 1d8. A fighter with 6-10 BAB does 2d8 on a successful hit, with 11-15 BAB does 3d8, with 16-20 BAB does 4d8, and so on.

Personally, I would have feats (like weapon focus) and maybe strength give its bonus to BAB rather then just to hit. So a 5th level Fighter with Weapon Focus would have a 6 BAB and do 2d8 damage with a longsword.
...Also keep in mind that somewhere on these boards is a forum that shows an image of the new 4.0 mini cards. (If you start under Races, and go to the thread "Drow are Fey?" or something like that, you'll find a link to the mini card thread.) It shows definite connections to SWSE (which isn't surprising), such as Perception as a skill and movement measured in squares rather than feet.

Here it is...

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/Levimote/ComicCon/4EStatBlock.jpg)
As I understand it, multiple attacks based on BAB are out. It slows down the game too much. Instead, you do more damage as you rise in level (just as in SWSE).

If this is true that would be awesome. I have wanted to see damage go up as you increase levels since 1st edition.

Any Edition

few things are odd about that stat block.

First thing I saw was the stats (Str, Dex ect..)
Str +7 (19)??
Con +5 (14)??
These are different.

Then there is Posion 5. Wonder what that 5 means. 5 damage a round? Lasts 5 rounds?

Then we see the Perseption stat at the top but then under skills there is Spot +10 ? I though this was all wraped up in to Perseption.

They also removed any spells from the stat block and Specaul abilities.
(No See in Darkness)

Str +7 (19)??
Con +5 (14)??
These are different.

Then there is Posion 5. Wonder what that 5 means. 5 damage a round? Lasts 5 rounds?

Then we see the Perseption stat at the top but then under skills there is Spot +10 ? I though this was all wraped up in to Perseption.

They also removed any spells from the stat block and Specaul abilities.
(No See in Darkness)

It's interesting to note that the stat bonuses are what we're used to plus 3, which happens to be its hit dice. Also, it doesn't list that it can see in darkness, but it does have "nethersight," which many of us believe means "darkvision that works in magical darkness."

As for the poison and perception things, there are several different theories out there. The above paragraph is just what I've read and heartlessly stolen from other players' posts.
Rhymes with Bruce
The odd bonus numbers may be because they're using the same bonuses with a +1/2 Lvl bump since it is a Level 6 monster.

Some creatures may have a Racial bonus to an aspect of a Skill such as using Perception to Spot or it could be a classification bonus (Skirmishers may get a +5 Spot).

They said they got rid of the full-round attack action, and later it was said that there still would be full-round actions, just not a full-round attack action.

I have not heard that. Could you provide a link?

I'll look around for it, although this was about a month or more ago, so it might take some time to find it.
As I understand it, multiple attacks based on BAB are out. It slows down the game too much.

I always thought the iterative attack thing was a nice try but that it didn't work that well mechanically and should have been thought out more.

Iterative attacks pose a disadvantage to the guy who closes for the attack. You win initiative, run up and bonk the badguy, and brace yourself for his four attacks in return. Of course, this disadvantage is mitigated somewhat by the fact that each attack after the first suffers a cumulative 25% penalty, but that kind of makes you wonder what the point of the iterative attacks was to begin with.

Str +7 (19)??
Con +5 (14)??
These are different.

The +7 and +5 are only to show what the bonus to untrained skills is, in this case 4 (19) + 3 (1/2 of 6). And 2 (15) + 3 (1/2 of 6 again).
I always thought the iterative attack thing was a nice try but that it didn't work that well mechanically and should have been thought out more.

Iterative attacks pose a disadvantage to the guy who closes for the attack. You win initiative, run up and bonk the badguy, and brace yourself for his four attacks in return. Of course, this disadvantage is mitigated somewhat by the fact that each attack after the first suffers a cumulative 25% penalty, but that kind of makes you wonder what the point of the iterative attacks was to begin with.

This is one reason why I've always liked the 1st and 2nd Ed multi attack rules. You have X attacks, you can attack and move, move and attack, attack and move and attack and move, whatever you liked. Eliminates pointless feats/abilities like spring attack, pounce, dervish whirl etc. All attacks at one BAB. Course in those days only fighter types had multiple attacks which made them worth playing and not the poor cousins of classes with 9th level spells.
The facts so far:

-No Iterative attacks due to BAB.

-No more Full Attack action.

-There will still be multiple attacks (natural weapons, rain of blows etc).
The facts so far:

-No Iterative attacks due to BAB.

-No more Full Attack action.

-There will still be multiple attacks (natural weapons, rain of blows etc).

Don't forget...

Two Weapon Fighting
Double Attack*
Triple Attack*
*of course these are feats from SWSE, but we'll probably get something analogous.