What will happen to feats??

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
??
As far as I know they are going to stay since feats have been integral part of D&D character development.
Feats will be there, they're just getting standardized in that there will be little if any "useless" feats this time around. I don't remember seeing any mention of how often characters get new feats, but just to make a guess, I doubt there will be much of an increase when you also get the talents added to the mix.

The SW Saga system probably gives a good indication of that, but I haven't seen it.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Neither SWSE nor ToB gets rid of feats. In fact, in SWSE, every class gets a bonus feat on every even level, instead of just the fighter. That's in addition to the feats they gain every third level.

They have said that they're getting rid of feat trees, so it only makes sense that feats become one-shots, and the trees become talent trees.
Yes, I am a defender apologist. A Rock and a Hard Place: A Warden Handbook
I have a feeling they'll be kept. I liked the feat trees, though. It gave me something to aim for. And they usually made sense.
Roleplaying Logs My roleplaying blog, where I give a summary of what happened in the games I play in. Updates about once a week.
I'm under the impression we'll get feats on even levels, powers on odd levels, and feats will cover lesser effects and talents while powers constitute the "bigger guns" for the character. Probably a feat and a power or two at first level.
I agree with the above.

The only feats that I think you will see removed are 'monster feats' which will now just be incorporated in the design and thinking of the monster. Instead of giving a monster a BAB and adding the feat weapon focus, the DM will just give the monster BAB+1 to represent the feat is already included in the profile.
I suspect that feat trees will be replaced neatly by more class-sensitive talent trees. I'm kinda hoping this will have the combined effect of making them less generic and more useful!
Characters will still have Feats to give you more customization to go along with your Trees.

Monsters will definitely not have Feats..

The Spined Devil is the bonus miniature being given out at the Worldwide D&D Game Day, and it comes with both a 3.5E and 4E stat card (photo here, thanks to jodyjohnson):

Spined Devil
Medium Immortal Humanoid (Devil)
Level 6 Skirmisher

Init +5 Speed 5 Fly 7

Senses Nethersight, Perception +5

Resists Fire 20

AC 20 Fort 18 Ref 18 Will 18

HP/Blooded 47/23

ATTACKS
Melee 2 claws +9 vs AC each; 2d4+4
Spine Rain Standard, Ranged 10; +9 Dex vs. Ref; 1d6+2 + 2d6 Fire AND Poison 5, Slowed while Poisoned.

SKILLS Spot +10

Str +7(19) Dex +5(14) Con +5(15) Int +5(15) Wis +5(14) Cha +5(15)
Monsters will definitely not have Feats.

The Spined Devil does not have any listed feats. It has a lot of invisible bonuses that may be represented by feats.
Its safer to assume that monster feats, though not formulaic based on HD/Level, still exist, albeit in a more arbitrary/creator's decision manner.
To that most expressive question of the OP's, I can only give the historical reply:

!

Feats are here to stay, and will probably become more balanced and flexible. A Fighter won't need Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise and Improved Trip to be any good at keeping monsters away. Spring Attack will no longer force you to take an extremely weak feat and a feat Spring Attack makes redundant. Cool-sounding "trap" feats will either be removed or beefed up to usefulness, while the brokenly powerful will be toned down. All in all, feats are going to get better.
Saviour of the YMtC Mushroom Kingdom (A Kavu Overlord™ contest)! Avatars (yes, both of them) are Justin from El Goonish Shive. Check it out at www.egscomics.com "I think you just wrote my epitaph" -Detektor
The Spined Devil does not have any listed feats. It has a lot of invisible bonuses that may be represented by feats.
Its safer to assume that monster feats, though not formulaic based on HD/Level, still exist, albeit in a more arbitrary/creator's decision manner.

Actually, they've commented that monsters will be built as monsters and if they want a special ability for it they'll build a special ability for it, not try to work it off a feat.
Feats will be there, they're just getting standardized in that there will be little if any "useless" feats this time around.

To be fair, they are likely to TRY to make it where there are no useless feats this time around. But on the other hand, I bet they tried for that in 3.0/3.5 too. I doubt they said to themselves "Toughness? Give up a a feat for a measly 3 hit points? Sounds like an utter waste. Lets throw it in anyway and see if we can sucker anyone into taking it!"
Actually toughness is a quite good feat... if you are a NPC which will never reach more than LVL 1...

but just to mention it, chosing feats for each LVL 1 humanoid monster was a pain, and toughness, improved initiative or weapon focus were usually the best you could chose, because you just noted it as 1 more attack or 3 more hp...
To be fair, they are likely to TRY to make it where there are no useless feats this time around. But on the other hand, I bet they tried for that in 3.0/3.5 too. I doubt they said to themselves "Toughness? Give up a a feat for a measly 3 hit points? Sounds like an utter waste. Lets throw it in anyway and see if we can sucker anyone into taking it!"

No, but it's pretty clear that they did have the concept that they can "balance" a prestige class by forcing you to meet less than optimal feat selections. They definitely seem to have learned their lesson that making you suck at one point in exchange for a payoff later isn't a good balancing mechanic (nor is the reverse, rocking early but sucking later). In 3ed there's tons of examples of things that require you make a temporary sacrifice for a payoff later, and now they seem to have learned that some groups start at higher levels so that tradeoff means nothing to them, and other groups will only play at lower levels and never get that payoff so they need to do a better job of making each level balanced at its own level and not based on what came before or comes after.
Sign In to post comments