Release Dates

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This didn't really fit into any of the forum sections, so I decided to put it here. So far our information on the release dates for 4e is as follows:
Player's Handbook: May
Dungeon Master's Guide: June
Monster Manual: July
What I want to know is, when they say a book will be coming out in a specific month, does this mean the first of that month, or just sometime in that month? Please tell me it's the first, I don't want to have to go down to Barnes & Noble every day to look for my books.
Don't forget the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting in August.

They usually don't mean the first of the month, but the exact release date is typically made known well beforehand.
There are a few reasons for the staggered release, but it really boils down to the following top 4:

1) It reduces financial strain on the game stores having to keep all three books in heavy stock for the initial buy.

2) Same a 1, but for the buyers.

3) Lowered financial strain on the buyers will get entice more buyers to buy them. $35 a month for 3 months from 100,000 people is more lucrative than $105 in one month from 75,000 people.

4) Not really a reason, but it still is useful. The first printing of the PHb will more than likely have a "DM's starter kit" like it had in 3.x. That way the DM will have the bare bones to run a game and few sample monsters until the later books come out.

As for the day of the month, I'm hoping the first as well, but I dunno. Amazon.com might have the exact date.
I already understood why they were doing it staggered, I just wanted to know if they'd announced the exact date and I'd missed it. Thanks for the reminder about FR. Can't forget that:D !
Amazon lists the release dates as

PHB May 20, 2008

MM June 17, 2008
Thanks for that, even though it makes me sad that i have to wait 19 extra days .
Thanks for that, even though it makes me sad that i have to wait 19 extra days .

Hehe, I agree. 4E looks extremely promising to me, and May is so far away.