Request for non-collectible miniatures

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I would like to see sets of non-collectible miniatures for common/popular monsters and minions. I have no interest in playing DDM and don't care about the rarity, stat cards, or included tiles. What I would really like is to be able to buy 4-packs and 8-packs of things like orcs, goblins, skeletons, zombies, ogres, etc. as well as singles of other interesting monsters.

I'm not suggesting that WotC create an entirely new line of minis, but rather that they could create an alternate set with a blank base of a different shape or color to differentiate them from the collectible minis, and sell them standalone without cards or tiles.

When I was first getting back into D&D, I probably purchased $100 worth of the original DDM starter and boosters. I now have a boatload of minis I will never, ever use, and a paltry handful that I use frequently but never have enough of. I doubt I'll ever buy another booster again (fool me twice...) and my only other option is to try to buy things piecemeal on eBay (and get nickled and dimed to death with shipping charges).

I'd rather just be able to buy them straight from WotC or at my FLGS.

Thoughts?
QFT

I think that if Wizards had a line of plastic minis sold like reaper did that they would have a huge amount of D&Ders who don't play DDM like us go out and buy things like a pack of 10 gnolls, 7 base soldiers, a shaman, a warchief, and a warlock. for the upcoming gnoll battle, or you know, maybe I've always wanted an Otyugh, or a Dragon that I won't purchase from random boosters hoping to get.
While I play DDM and love it, I'd still love to see these packs of non-random minis. Townsfolk, orcs, goblins, undead, knights, etc. I enjoy throwing an army at my PCs. While we enjoy the occasional dragon fight, it's much more fun to defend a town from an entire tribe of Goblinoids.
I think this is a good idea.

HOWEVER, I have a suggestion for you.

I have yet to walk into a gaming store where mini's were sold that didn't have a box of commons and uncommons sitting around somewhere selling for less than a dollar per mini. Sometimes that box is even hidden behind the counter and all you need to do is ask to see it.

When I am planning my adventures I just dig through the boxes at the two stores I go to and find what I need. This method works much better than boosters.

My other thought is, with the advent of DDM people seem to have forgotten that there are several incredible companies out there that produce miniatures in singles and set packs based on what you need. Even if you don't have time to paint miniatures some companies are making their own pre-paints now like Reaper.
right, but then you deal with the horror of every D&D player with non D&D minis, they got the color, size, x wrong. I love reaper minis but in most cases they either don't fit in the 5' square space, or if they are larger creatures they also take up the wrong size. All we are saying is that it would be nice to be able to walk into our FLGS and say "I'd like to buy a con dom, in fact today I think I'll have a french tickler because I am a protestant." ... oh sorry, wrong sketch, I mean walk into our FLGS and say "I'd like to buy a pack of D&D gnolls and an Otyugh. Without waiting for an E-bay auction, paying out the butt for shipping, or digging through a box of broken minis that came out of boosters. I think they should sell an MM kit that has a mini for every creature in the MM that way you could be sure of having a properly sized and sculpted mini. Hell if they made that I'd pay up to $100 for it or ask for one for cristmas to say the least, I'd bet they could sell it for $60.
I say "themed" sets like "death lords" which has like 10 skeletal warriors, 2 blackguards, 4 clerics of Nerull, 4 grim necromancers, 10 skeletal archers, 1 skeletal red dragon, 20 commoner zombies, 1 lich, 1 mummy lord, 4 mummies, 2 deathknights, 8 vampire spawn, 4 vampires, 1 Strahd, and 4 wraiths, 2 dread wraiths, 1 paladin of Pelor, and one cleric of Pelor. I would pay quite a bit for themed sets.

Edit: Death Lords is not an actual set don't get excited.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

I feel your pain. Sadly as much as I love to paint and convert minis nothing beats the overall high quality of the DDM line. Granted the quality will never be on par with finely painted “lead” minis the durability is off the charts. Ever wanted to kill your best friend because he dropped the dragon you spent three weeks working on?

However I do not have any pretensions of hoping for a themed set. It’s just not cost effective and you can’t hold that against WotC. This is where I have to say go buy singles. Another company is coming out with non-random minis but the cost is vastly higher than picking up singles on the order of four or fives times higher.

Feel free to offer 25c for commons and 50-75c for uncommon minis, which is on par with online sales (At least my bosses stores) and snag away. Sometimes it is worth a few dollars to get an extra rare from someone at your local venue. I picked up a large fire elemental for a soda and a candy bar because the guy had a half dozen of them he couldn’t get rid of.

It will take a little groundwork but it is well worth it. I have thousands of minis and paid next to nothing except for the random booster every couple of weeks. (My version of the lottery!) My venue benefits from the extra half a case in sales a set and I keep things under budget. This allows me to field massive numbers of critters and creates a truly exciting adventure without using M&Ms as goblins. I just don’t get to eat them when they die.
eBay may be your answer if your FLGS doesn't carry singles. There are several merchants on eBay who sell singles for as little as $.25 ea. I would rather spend my money on the individual figs I need than hope I get them in an unmarked box. Some even have flat shipping costs regardless of how many / few you purchase at a time.
I say "themed" sets like "death lords" which has like 10 skeletal warriors, 2 blackguards, 4 clerics of Nerull, 4 grim necromancers, 10 skeletal archers, 1 skeletal red dragon, 20 commoner zombies, 1 lich, 1 mummy lord, 4 mummies, 2 deathknights, 8 vampire spawn, 4 vampires, 1 Strahd, and 4 wraiths, 2 dread wraiths, 1 paladin of Pelor, and one cleric of Pelor. I would pay quite a bit for themed sets.

Edit: Death Lords is not an actual set don't get excited.

Themed sets would be great. Not like the one you described, though! You've got 80 minis in there, one of which is a dragon. They'd probably charge at least $150 for something like that.

Now, doing a set like '10 skeletons, 10 skeletal archers, 10 zombies, 1 necromancer, 1 death cleric', for like 25 bucks, I'd approve of and buy.
Sign In to post comments