The Powers Chapter???

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=906388

From James Wyatt's Blog:
"...and write the first couple of pages for each of the Classes chapter, the Feats chapter, and the Powers chapter."

What could be in the Powers Chapter? Spells? Psionics? X-Ray Vision?

Who wants to guess?

From James Wyatt's Blog:
"...and write the first couple of pages for each of the Classes chapter, the Feats chapter, and the Powers chapter."

Who wants to guess?

I am guessing it is the Chapter devoted to the Power Sources for the classes: Martial, Skill, Divine, Arcane, Nature, etc.

These Power Sources are what give each class their basic strengths and abilities. They will probably include a list of Powers associated with each source as well.

Harliquinn
I am guessing it is the Chapter devoted to the Power Sources for the classes: Martial, Skill, Divine, Arcane, Nature, etc.

Me too.

Either that, or they're calling powers the old martial maneuvers.
Powers are the abilities the classes get from their power sources.

The Greendale Campaign

I was there at the dawn of the Third-and-a-Halfth Age of Dungeons & Dragons. I saw action during the Crisis of Infinite Foundations, stood on the ramparts of the Citadel of Mirth, delved deep into the debauchery of the Forum of the Adult, and fought alongside the Infernal Bovine on the fields of the Eberron War. I weathered the Ponystorm. I witnessed as the orcs came for the wizos, and I wept mightily. I saw the realm crack as the Fourth Age came upon us, and I witnessed the eldritch tendrils of the dread Gleemax. Now I watch as the Meta Wars ravage the land as the Fifth Age is dawning. I have walked these Boarderlands for many a long year, and bear many scars in my soul. Yet I remain the White Sorcerer, ever in your service. TWS out.

So, the chapters in the PHB that I can think of will be something like:

Intro, Race, Class, Skills, Feats, Powers, Equipment, Combat, Adventuring (Social Encounters may join this chapter or be its own one), Magic, Spell List.

I suspect the list of spells won't be quite as 'mega' as in previous editions. The class chapter will be pretty fat, with all the talents/paths, and race may have a bit of an expansion, with the greater role it's gonna play.
Huh. I was thinking Powers = Gods.
You know... Powers.
Flight, invulnerability, tall buildings in a single bound?
that sort of thing.
that's my guess.
From Rich Baker's Blog (04/10/2007): Today I finished up the cleric class description, and tomorrow I'll be moving on to a "flavor pass" on cleric powers. Basically that involves writing up the italicized text that begins the power description.

We're going to try to make those a little more explicit toward effect than they were in 3E -- in other words, I want to make sure that the text explains exactly what the power's doing. Something like You fire an ebon ray of necromantic energy that lances straight to your oponent's heart is probably more useful than text like You stand on one foot, close one eye, and think of pigeons; from your outstetched little finger a burst of soul-shattering black energy lances into your foe's heart and explodes it. We'll see how if I got the right balance.

I did similar work on the warlock powers over the last couple of days. It was actually a little tough with the warlock powers, because the warlock's got many more powers than he had before, and we don't want all of them to just drip with evil. Making sure that several different varieties of warlock flavor were scattered through the powers was important to me. Fortunately a good number of cleric powers are "classics" that have been around for a long time, so a little bit o' polish and they're good for another edition.

This gives a pretty good clue as to what to expect in the Powers chapter. It'll probably have a discussion of the various sources and then go on describing the various class powers. I also get the impression from this that spells might now be called powers.
Powers will just be the name for the manoeuvers/spells/psionics/powers/monk ki abilities in 4th edition.
Powers are the abilities the classes get from their power sources.

Now don't go getting all logical on us.;)

From James Wyatt's Blog:

Who wants to guess?

As has been stated, I think its just the abilities folks gain from their power sources.

To get more detailed, I'm beginning to wonder if all classes don't follow some sort of similar "power structure" with powers selectable by power source. So now every class gets to select its spells/powers between combats. (Although it sounds like that will be much less painful than the current neo-Vancian system.) Tweak the availablity/prerequisites of powers to match things like BAB progression (if we still have that) and tada! New Edition!

I'm also hoping that combined with the power 'siloing' means we're shifting away from the "magic only comes in spells" mentality.
Yeah, I am sure that is what they mean by the Powers Chapter. A discussion of what the power sources are. I know one is martial, and one is arcane. I am not sure if they are giving divine characters their own seperate power source, or if they use the arcane power source too. I know in 3e, arcane magic and divine mage were esentially the same, only they came from different sources. However, the divine power source could explain such things as Smite Evil, and Turn Undead, as well as granted powers. That would be three sources. I am not sure if Skill is an actual power source or not. It would make sense, but everything i have heard so far has been about only 3 power sources. So maybe skill isn't considered a power source, and Rogues still use the martial power source.

I imagine KI and Psionics will be new power sources introduced in the second PHB in '09, and maybe Incarnum to round it out to 3.
So, the chapters in the PHB that I can think of will be something like:

Intro, Race, Class, Skills, Feats, Powers, Equipment, Combat, Adventuring (Social Encounters may join this chapter or be its own one), Magic, Spell List.

I suspect the list of spells won't be quite as 'mega' as in previous editions. The class chapter will be pretty fat, with all the talents/paths, and race may have a bit of an expansion, with the greater role it's gonna play.

I would think that magic and spells would be considered powers.
I would think that magic and spells would be considered powers.

Maybe. I still expect the Powers chapter and spell list to be separate, much like the magic chapter was separate from the spell list in 3e.
Well, from what i have read and seen here and elsewhere, the power sources are Martial (fighters and barbarians), Arcane (mage and warlock) and Divine (cleric and paladin). Whether there are more is yet to be seen.

We also know from someone's blog that there are now 20 levels of spells. So, some spells may not be as "uber" as others, or as they were before.

Although, in all honestly the PTBs have really given us almost nothing concrete as far as details go....but then again, why would they, they want to sell those "preview books"!
Maybe. I still expect the Powers chapter and spell list to be separate, much like the magic chapter was separate from the spell list in 3e.

I agree.

I expect to see a table of contents kinda like this:

• Chapter 1: Forward and Introduction
  • Chapter 2: Ability Scores
  • Chapter 3: Races
  • Chapter 4: Classes
  • Chapter 5: Skills
  • Chapter 6: Feats
  • Chapter 7: Powers
  • Chapter 8: Adventuring Gear
  • Chapter 9: Spells
I would expect Equipment to come before Powers. Also, you forgot the Combat Chapter.
I would expect Equipment to come before Powers. Also, you forgot the Combat Chapter.

Brain fart. I would place Combat right before Powers.
  • Chapter 7: Powers
  • Chapter 9: Spells

I'd name those chapters "Power Sources" and "Powers." "Spells" excludes martial maneuvers or whatever they're called.

The Greendale Campaign

I was there at the dawn of the Third-and-a-Halfth Age of Dungeons & Dragons. I saw action during the Crisis of Infinite Foundations, stood on the ramparts of the Citadel of Mirth, delved deep into the debauchery of the Forum of the Adult, and fought alongside the Infernal Bovine on the fields of the Eberron War. I weathered the Ponystorm. I witnessed as the orcs came for the wizos, and I wept mightily. I saw the realm crack as the Fourth Age came upon us, and I witnessed the eldritch tendrils of the dread Gleemax. Now I watch as the Meta Wars ravage the land as the Fifth Age is dawning. I have walked these Boarderlands for many a long year, and bear many scars in my soul. Yet I remain the White Sorcerer, ever in your service. TWS out.

I'd name those chapters "Power Sources" and "Powers." "Spells" excludes martial maneuvers or whatever they're called.

So, what

"Spells and Special Abilities"?

Thats works for me.
So, what

"Spells and Special Abilities"?

Thats works for me.

"Powers" works better. "Spells and Special Abilities" makes the nonspells seem like secondary content.

The Greendale Campaign