3rd ed conversions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
right now what is the plan for all of the 3rd ed supplements you are going to be putting out in the next couple of months? Will 3.5 supplements be able to be used with 4th ed, or are we just going to have to buy another fighter handbook in the future for the 4th time?
right now what is the plan for all of the 3rd ed supplements you are going to be putting out in the next couple of months? Will 3.5 supplements be able to be used with 4th ed, or are we just going to have to buy another fighter handbook in the future for the 4th time?

WotC has said that 4e will be so radically different that conversion will be hard to impossible. Given that, I don't any 3e supplement will be directly usable in 4e.

For things like the fighter handbooks, they will probably useless in 4e. The new characters will have such a different organization and different abilities that everything 3e would have to be rewritten and much of it may not be useful at all. At best you could pick out a few ideas you like and rewrite them for 4e.

Jay
Rip out the mechanics. Keep the flavor. Add in the new mechanics. Go from there.

Of COURSE you will have to buy another Fighters Handbook for 4E.

How else will WotC get their money?
They don't care about the people like me who have spent well over $2000 (about 80 books) on all their 3.5 books.

They probably won't even give us psionics or Martial Adepts in the core. Those will come a couple years later and cost us more. Oh yes.

They fully intend for them to be impossible to convert.. Just so we HAVE to go buy their new books.

No I'm not bitter. I just won't be getting 4E any time soon.
Just keep an eye on the boards here after 4e comes out, as some of them will be getting quite PEACHy* with the old 3.5 classes.

PEACH stands for Please Evaluate And Criticise Honestly. It's an acronym used by people proposing a homebrewed class, spell or other D&D entity for others' evaluation. Since many people will be providing 4e interpretations of their favorite 3.5 classes, those boards will be a good place to stop by for ideas.