Rob Heinsoo's Blog: so little words, so much info

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
It is here.

Design work on paragon paths.

What is it? Some kind of racial talent tree?

Going over Logan's quite cool designs for minis set 17.

Am I getting everything right? Night Below is set 13. Desert of Desolation is set 14. So...

Going over racial weapon designs for the online character visualizer.

Sounds tasty.

Hmmm... I was wrong. More questions, than info...
paragon paths?

It makes me rebembering the paragon class from Unearthed Arcana. (and I think it was a very good idea).

I hope whole new books with PCs races (psionic handbook, oriental adventures) have paragon class-like too.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Well, Paragon is the term they're using for levels 11-20, so..
yes, it sound pretty much as a kind of "prestige class substitute" for those in the paragon levels.

Kind of "ok, you are lvl 11, so you are not a fighter, but a gladiator/myrmidon/weaponmaster/guy-that-kill-things-with-a-sharpened-thing". So now you can select "this" talent trees instead of your regular fighter ones
yes, it sound pretty much as a kind of "prestige class substitute" for those in the paragon levels.

Kind of "ok, you are lvl 11, so you are not a fighter, but a gladiator/myrmidon/weaponmaster/guy-that-kill-things-with-a-sharpened-thing". So now you can select "this" talent trees instead of your regular fighter ones

That what I have been saying all along. Finally someone agrees with me
That what I have been saying all along. Finally someone agrees with me

Well, certainly that's what I've been hoping for...sort of what 3rd edition was supposed to be able to do, but we ended up having to rely on prestige classes to acheive. And what a ball that was...

Also, I assumed that the whole 'paragon' thing related to adapting the paragon classes to the new 'level dependent racial attributes' that they were talking about.
4.0 will sadly still have prc's. However, they will have their own unique talent trees (paths).

Makes me think of promotions in the old shining force video games, but with options.

I like the idea.

Actually, this smells somewhat like d20 Modern's Advanced Classes and Prestige Classes. The prior is available at lower levels, the latter at higher levels.
It is here.

What is it? Some kind of racial talent tree?

I'm kinda getting the vibe that maybe we won't have "talent trees," but will instead have "paths." So, your fighter might choose to follow the Archery path.

Of course, that's just my vibe. I'm also getting a headache from the horrid possibility that wizards have "traditions" and fighters have "paths" and clerics have "orders" and rogues have....well, you get the idea.
I'm kinda getting the vibe that maybe we won't have "talent trees," but will instead have "paths." So, your fighter might choose to follow the Archery path.

Of course, that's just my vibe. I'm also getting a headache from the horrid possibility that wizards have "traditions" and fighters have "paths" and clerics have "orders" and rogues have....well, you get the idea.

Heh. It'd be easier to just stick with "Talents." By your description, it's the same darn thing.
Heh. It'd be easier to just stick with "Talents." By your description, it's the same darn thing.

Trust me, I'd be fine with Talents and Talent Trees\Families.
Im pretty sure a Wizard can take Talents from the Rogue, for example. So, the Trees may be more for organization, and not really to restrict choices.

If I recall correctly, it will be easy to trade abilities when leveling if the ones you picked arent doing it for ya.
that's what multiclass will be, probably.

The playtest character that look like a gish is a warlord who "took several things from wizards"
If the customizability works well, Il love it.